Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #85

Status
Not open for further replies.
ITA… what a pile of poop this suicide letter is!
Exactly! It strikes me as bad fiction to try to justify a murder-suicide. If had had injured her, why not attempt to get help??? She wasn't a wounded animal.
ITA… what a pile of poop this suicide letter is!

"Rushing back to our car trying to cross the streams of [illegible] before it got too dark to see, too cold. I hear a splash and a scream. I could barely see. I couldn’t find her for a moment, shouted her name. I found her breathing heavily, gasping [illegible.] She was freezing cold. [Illegible] the blazing hot national parks in Utah.

They didn't get propelled from 95 degrees to 35 in a matter of a few minutes. They'd been out there some time and knew it got cold at night. Were they not prepared with jackets or coats or even, the idea to return to the rig long before dark? Odd for him to say this like they weren't prepared

"Rushing back to our car trying to cross the streams of [illegible] before it got too dark to see, too cold. I hear a splash and a scream. I could barely see. I couldn’t find her for a moment, shouted her name. I found her breathing heavily, gasping [illegible.] She was freezing cold. [Illegible] the blazing hot national parks in Utah.

Rushing back to our car trying to cross the streams of [illegible] before it got too dark to see, too cold. I hear a splash and a scream. I could barely see....

1. What?? Why were they allegedly rushing back to the car?

2. Huh?? If they were rushing back to the car and he heard a splash and a scream, that's means everything allegedly happened quickly. Yet she was "She was freezing cold." And "had already been freezing too long."

None of this makes sense.

Those images were posted months ago and sort of debunked, at least until the actual journal/notebook was analyzed. I've done a bit of graphology/handwriting analysis over the years - Comparing them today, the handwriting is different albeit a bit similar. First difference - the capital letter I has serifs top and bottom. In Brian's notebook entries released today, he doesn't add the serifs. The descenders in the lowercase "y" in his entries released today are curved, but in that previously released doc they are straight. I don't know where that first set originated but I don't think it's by the same person or it probably would have come out by now that there was some truth to it. IMO!
Excellent analysis. I see what you see.

Rushing back to our car trying to cross the streams of [illegible] before it got too dark to see, too cold. I hear a splash and a scream. I could barely see....

1. What?? Why were they allegedly rushing back to the car?

2. Huh?? If they were rushing back to the car and he heard a splash and a scream, that's means everything allegedly happened quickly. Yet she was "She was freezing cold." And "had already been freezing too long."

None of this makes sense.
Right? I mean, she had just, supposedly, have fallen and hit her head and landed in a shallow stream and was suddenly so cold she was violently shaking? Why did they wait until dark to cross the wide stream with all the rocks and uneven bottom?

Right? I mean, she had just, supposedly, have fallen and hit her head and landed in a shallow stream and was suddenly so cold she was violently shaking? Why did they wait until dark to cross the wide stream with all the rocks and uneven bottom?
Exactly... Because most of this is lies. I like what someone said earlier, Brian uses a lot of softening, distancing, and making himself some sort of a martyr/hero for relieving her of her pain.
Oh yes the great hero!

Typed out:

"Gabby, I wish I was right at your side, I wish I could be talking to you right now. I’d be going through every memory we made, getting even more excited for the future. But [we] lost our future. I can’t [live] without you. I’ve lost every day we [could’ve] spent together, every holiday. I’ll never get to play with [illegible] again. Never go hiking with TJ. I loved you more than anything. I can’t bear to look at our photos, to recall great times because it is why I cannot go on. When I close my eyes, I will think of laughing on the roof of the van, falling asleep to the sight of [illegible] at the crystal geyser. I will always love you.”

"If you were reading Gabs’ journal, looking at photos from our life together, flipping through old cards you wouldn’t want to live a day without her. Knowing that everyday you’ll wake up without her, you wouldn’t want to wake up. I’m sorry to everyone this will affect, Gabby was the love of my life, but I know [adored] by many. I’m so very sorry to her family because I love them. I’d [consider] her younger siblings my best of friends… I am sorry to my family, this [is] a shock to them as well a terrible grief.”

"They loved as much, if not more than me. A new daughter to my mother, an aunt to my nephews. Please do not make this harder for them, this [occurred] as an unexpected tragedy. Rushing back to our car trying to cross the streams of [illegible] before it got too dark to see, too cold. I hear a splash and a scream. I could barely see. I couldn’t find her for a moment, shouted her name. I found her breathing heavily, gasping [illegible.] She was freezing cold. [Illegible] the blazing hot national parks in Utah.”

"The temperature had dropped to freezing and she was soaking wet. I carried her as far as I could from the stream toward the car, stumbling, exhausted in shock, when my [illegible] and knew I couldn’t safely carry her. I started a fire and spooned her as close to the heat. She was so thin, had already been freezing too long. I couldn’t at the time realize that I should’ve started a fire first but I wanted her out of the cold back to the car. From where I started the fire I had no idea how far the car might be, only knew it was across the creek.”

"When I pulled Gabby out of the water, she couldn’t tell me what hurt. She had a small [bump] on her forehead that [eventually] got larger. Her feet hurt, her [wrist] hurt but she was freezing, shaking violently. While carrying her she continually made sounds of pain. Laying next to her she said little, [lapsing] between violent shakes, gasping in pain, begging for an end to her pain. She would fall asleep and I would shake her awake, fearing she shouldn’t close her eyes if she had a concussion.”

"She would wake in pain, start her whole painful cycle again [illegible] furious that I was the one waking her. She wouldn’t let me try to cross the creek, thought like me that the fire would go out in her sleep and she’d freeze. I don’t know the extend of Gabby’s injuries, only that she was in extreme pain. I ended her life, I thought it was merciful, that it is what she wanted but I see now all the mistakes I made. I panicked, I was in shock. But from the moment I decided, took away her pain, I knew I couldn’t go on without her.”

“I rushed home to spend any time I had left with my family. I wanted to drive north and let James or TJ kill me but I wouldn’t want them to spend time in jail over my mistake, even though I’m sure they would have liked to. I am ending my life not because of a fear of punishment but rather because I can’t stand to live another day without her. I’ve lost our whole future together, every moment we could have [shared.] I’m sorry for everyone’s loss. Please do not make life harder for my family, they lost a son and a daughter. The most wonderful girl in the world. Gabby I’m sorry.”

"I have killed myself by this creek in the hopes that animals may tear me apart. That it may make some of her family happy.”

“Please pick up all of my things. Gabby hated people who litter.”

On the handwritten letter that I saw posted on Fox News, most of the illegible words and phrases are very clear.

First paragraph, the only one that I can't make out is the first illegible, about never getting to play with---it looks like Cat & M something, but the rest are very clear on the copy I saw....

First paragraph, second illegible says falling asleep to the sight of a meteor shower.

Third paragraph....first illegible says cross the streams of spread creek (uncapitalized). Second illegible says gasping my name. Third illegible says we had just come from the blazing hot etc.

Fourth paragraph illegible says when my knees buckled.

Sixth paragraph illegible says while.

This whole confession/suicide note sounds ridiculous, IMO.

Echoing everyone else, my thoughts are that if she was injured from a fall, then soaking wet and freezing...and she's the love of your life, and you can't live without her....WHY kill her to "end her pain?" Was Brian five years old and didn't know what to do? Or 99 years old and didn't have the strength to help her? Because to a normal person in their 20s, with a van right there....a van with a heater, a van with supplies because they lived in it, a van that at minimum you'd drive as nearby as you could to get a cell signal to call 911 and then race back to comfort her while you wait for help....all of this is very disordered thinking.

So I agree, this is a tragic version of "the dog ate my homework."

Typed out:

"Gabby, I wish I was right at your side, I wish I could be talking to you right now. I’d be going through every memory we made, getting even more excited for the future. But [we] lost our future. I can’t [live] without you. I’ve lost every day we [could’ve] spent together, every holiday. I’ll never get to play with [illegible] again. Never go hiking with TJ. I loved you more than anything. I can’t bear to look at our photos, to recall great times because it is why I cannot go on. When I close my eyes, I will think of laughing on the roof of the van, falling asleep to the sight of [illegible] at the crystal geyser. I will always love you.”

"If you were reading Gabs’ journal, looking at photos from our life together, flipping through old cards you wouldn’t want to live a day without her. Knowing that everyday you’ll wake up without her, you wouldn’t want to wake up. I’m sorry to everyone this will affect, Gabby was the love of my life, but I know [adored] by many. I’m so very sorry to her family because I love them. I’d [consider] her younger siblings my best of friends… I am sorry to my family, this [is] a shock to them as well a terrible grief.”

"They loved as much, if not more than me. A new daughter to my mother, an aunt to my nephews. Please do not make this harder for them, this [occurred] as an unexpected tragedy. Rushing back to our car trying to cross the streams of [illegible] before it got too dark to see, too cold. I hear a splash and a scream. I could barely see. I couldn’t find her for a moment, shouted her name. I found her breathing heavily, gasping [illegible.] She was freezing cold. [Illegible] the blazing hot national parks in Utah.”

"The temperature had dropped to freezing and she was soaking wet. I carried her as far as I could from the stream toward the car, stumbling, exhausted in shock, when my [illegible] and knew I couldn’t safely carry her. I started a fire and spooned her as close to the heat. She was so thin, had already been freezing too long. I couldn’t at the time realize that I should’ve started a fire first but I wanted her out of the cold back to the car. From where I started the fire I had no idea how far the car might be, only knew it was across the creek.”

"When I pulled Gabby out of the water, she couldn’t tell me what hurt. She had a small [bump] on her forehead that [eventually] got larger. Her feet hurt, her [wrist] hurt but she was freezing, shaking violently. While carrying her she continually made sounds of pain. Laying next to her she said little, [lapsing] between violent shakes, gasping in pain, begging for an end to her pain. She would fall asleep and I would shake her awake, fearing she shouldn’t close her eyes if she had a concussion.”

"She would wake in pain, start her whole painful cycle again [illegible] furious that I was the one waking her. She wouldn’t let me try to cross the creek, thought like me that the fire would go out in her sleep and she’d freeze. I don’t know the extend of Gabby’s injuries, only that she was in extreme pain. I ended her life, I thought it was merciful, that it is what she wanted but I see now all the mistakes I made. I panicked, I was in shock. But from the moment I decided, took away her pain, I knew I couldn’t go on without her.”

“I rushed home to spend any time I had left with my family. I wanted to drive north and let James or TJ kill me but I wouldn’t want them to spend time in jail over my mistake, even though I’m sure they would have liked to. I am ending my life not because of a fear of punishment but rather because I can’t stand to live another day without her. I’ve lost our whole future together, every moment we could have [shared.] I’m sorry for everyone’s loss. Please do not make life harder for my family, they lost a son and a daughter. The most wonderful girl in the world. Gabby I’m sorry.”

"I have killed myself by this creek in the hopes that animals may tear me apart. That it may make some of her family happy.”

“Please pick up all of my things. Gabby hated people who litter.”

bbm...i feel that this is pure projection...imo, this is what he hoped would happen to gabby's body, and that it might never be found or identified...

He talks about falling asleep on top of the van at Geysers (probably truth), yet calls it a "car" the rest of the time. His tenses change. He addresses the letter to G, but then diverts to more of an omnipresent audience. The part of the story about her "accident" and death sounds like melodramatic mystery writing. He ends the letter with G hating people who litter, likely moments before he shoots himself in the head. He says he can't look at photos yet brought them along with his personal belongings. Even a half-wit would read that letter and ask why he didn't go for help instead of kill her out of mercy. His writing is zigzag on the page. He probably shoots himself with his left hand.

None of it makes sense. It's not even cowardly, imo, it's nonsense (like the P's attorney said).

Oh my! I'm trying to catch up. Thank you @Warwick7 for the typed out version of the note. And thank you @MassGuy for posting this.

I am curious, why would BL think that his parents lives were going to be harder? They weren't talking to the media and no one knows what they know or when they knew it. I can see him apologizing to them and Gabby's parents but I don't understand the pleas for life not to be harder for them. Does this mean that they did know what happened?
Who knew what actually was said in this journal before today?

He talks about falling asleep on top of the van at Geysers (probably truth), yet calls it a "car" the rest of the time. His tenses change. He addresses the letter to G, but then diverts to more of an omnipresent audience. The part of the story about her "accident" and death sounds like melodramatic mystery writing. He ends the letter with G hating people who litter, likely moments before he shoots himself in the head. He says he can't look at photos yet brought them along with his personal belongings. Even a half-wit would read that letter and ask why he didn't go for help instead of kill her out of mercy. His writing is zigzag on the page. He probably shoots himself with his left hand.

None of it makes sense. It's not even cowardly, imo, it's nonsense (like the P's attorney said).
Good observations. I wonder if some of that could partly be due to the fact that one must be beyond distraught knowing that they're about to end their life in the next x-minutes. I've heard of suicidal people making sure to make their bed, before, well... Not justifying his wording, just wondering if things become less "normal" at that point.

Not that it makes any difference at this point, but the suicide note looks like it comes from different notepad than the one we've been shown. I guess he could have several notebooks.

1656113988580.png

1656114022760.png

1656114117781.png

I don’t know about the rest of you but I get the distinct feeling he is describing the murder. The scream, being wet, being cold, Gabby begging him to end her pain, she would fall asleep but he would wake her up (strangulation to a point - Stop - gasping start again), a bump on her head - he slammed her with something.

He is describing Abby’s reactions, feelings and emotions while he is killing her. Terror, fear, pain, begging for an end to it. I can visualize the whole thing and I don’t think it was quick. It was a sustained attack.

He could only take responsibility for killing her as an act of love. An act of mercy because he is a coward. He was trying to save her but (made a MISTAKE). Yup…murder is a BIG MISTAKE I’d say. He wanted her dead. It was intentional. He could have stopped but he didn’t.

And then it’s all “woe is me”. I can’t live without you so I hav to kill myself blah blah blah, (cry me a River….) It’s All about him.

He made a mistake….

What a !

MOO. JMHO, IMO and all that Jazz.

Not that it makes any difference at this point, but the suicide note looks like it comes from different notepad than the one we've been shown. I guess he could have several notebooks.

View attachment 351049

View attachment 351050

View attachment 351051

I'm an artist and also am friends with many who journal. We have many, all sizes and shapes! We love the variety, different paper thicknesses and textures, different binding for different needs, etc. I wouldn't read anything into that difference.

Good observations. I wonder if some of that could partly be due to the fact that one must be beyond distraught knowing that they're about to end their life in the next x-minutes. I've heard of suicidal people making sure to make their bed, before, well... Not justifying his wording, just wondering if things become less "normal" at that point.
That's what I think, as well. I could be totally wrong, but it seems like he started spiraling days before he killed her and simply kept spiraling until the end.

I don’t know about the rest of you but I get the distinct feeling he is describing the murder. The scream, being wet, being cold, Gabby begging him to end her pain, she would fall asleep but he would wake her up (strangulation to a point - Stop - gasping start again), a bump on her head - he slammed her with something.
He is describing Abby’s reactions, feelings and emotions while he is killing her. Terror, fear, pain, begging for an end to it. I can visualize the whole thing and I don’t think it was quick. It was a sustained attack.

He could only take responsibility for killing her as an act of love. An act of mercy because he is a coward. He was trying to save her but (made a MISTAKE). Yup…murder is a BIG MISTAKE I’d say. He wanted her dead. It was intentional. He could have stopped but he didn’t.

And then it’s all “woe is me”. I can’t live without you so I hav to kill myself blah blah blah, (cry me a River….) It’s All about him.

He made a mistake….

What a !

MOO. JMHO, IMO and all that Jazz.

I also think that the running through the creek is Gabby trying to get away from him. She’s running for her life and he’s chasing her. Maybe she does fall. Maybe she does scream but maybe he takes a rock and hits her in the head and then drags her from the creek.

That makes more sense to me.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members