Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #85

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also in that interview Reilly states that: "There are scenarios (plural) offered by Raberta to assist Brian."
Yes, I just wish we knew what scenarios Roberta suggested and in what way she offered her assistance. It seems he is hinting that it has to do with either coming up with a story or a plan to hide or leave the country. He wouldn't need to paraphrase in order to say that.

I'm just curious and impatient, I guess.

I'm wondering what other ideas people have about what he meant. He was very vague so it's hard to say.

Yes, I just wish we knew what scenarios Roberta suggested and in what way she offered her assistance. It seems he is hinting that it has to do with either coming up with a story or a plan to hide or leave the country. He wouldn't need to paraphrase in order to say that.

I'm just curious and impatient, I guess.

I'm wondering what other ideas people have about what he meant. He was very vague so it's hard to say.

The P's attorney said that RL's letter wasn't about helping BL leave the country. No idea what it might have been about, it depends when RL wrote it -- if it was before GP and BL left on their cross country trip, or after Moab and when he returned to Utah -- the context of the letter might be different for each one.

ETA- Here is the link to the article where the P's attorney states that the letter from RL wasn't about helping BL leave the country.

@BrianEntin

Here is my interview with Petito attorney Patrick Reilly. He says Roberta Laundrie wrote Brian a letter and to burn after reading. He says there is an “offer” from Roberta to “assist her son.” “If you go to jail I’ll bake a cake and put a saw in it.” He says Gabby is referenced.

7:10 AM · Jun 25, 2022

I have a hard time believing Mrs. Laundrie thought she could actually bake a cake and take it to Brian in jail. With a hidden saw inside. I like to think 99% of the population knows this is highly improbably. But, whatever.

Last edited:
@BrianEntin

Here is my interview with Petito attorney Patrick Reilly. He says Roberta Laundrie wrote Brian a letter and to burn after reading. He says there is an “offer” from Roberta to “assist her son.” “If you go to jail I’ll bake a cake and put a saw in it.” He says Gabby is referenced.

7:10 AM · Jun 25, 2022

I have a hard time believing Mrs. Laundrie actually thought she could bake a cake and take it to Brian in jail. With a hidden saw aside. I like to think 99% of the population knows this is highly improbably. But, whatever.
It's a metaphor for sure. If this is what Reilly is using for his claim that RL offered assistance to BL I'll die from laughter. JMO.

The P's attorney said that RL's letter wasn't about helping BL leave the country. No idea what it might have been about, it depends when RL wrote it -- if it was before GP and BL left on their cross country trip, or after Moab and when he returned to Utah -- the context of the letter might be different for each one.

ETA- Here is the link to the article where the P's attorney states that the letter from RL wasn't about helping BL leave the country.

I missed that, thank you. So maybe he is suggesting she offered to assist with some kind of cover up or in destroying evidence. Yet they kept the letter.

I wonder if Brian brought it into the house from the van, since the attorney believes it was sent to him. Maybe his parents didn't realize he kept the letter.

I missed that, thank you. So maybe he is suggesting she offered to assist with some kind of cover up or in destroying evidence. Yet they kept the letter.

I wonder if Brian brought it into the house from the van, since the attorney believes it was sent to him. Maybe his parents didn't realize he kept the letter.
That's what I was thinking -- that he removed items from the van before it was seized and it wasn't someplace obvious to his parents. The FBI subsequently spent eight hours searching the house, so they probably were very thorough so it could have been tucked someplace that his parents didn't check.

Last edited:
That's what I was thinking -- that he removed items from the van before it was seized and it wasn't someplace obvious to his parents. The FBI subsequently spent eight hours searching the house, so they probably were very thorough so it could have been tucked someplace that his parents didn't check.
This is a really good comment. And I can imagine this is pretty close on how it went down.

That was me and why would Reilly have to paraphrase? Just say "I came to my conclusion because RL said XYZ". And even if he did paraphrase it wouldn't change the meaning of the statements in the letter.

It's obvious to me that Reilly doesn't want to give any specific information from the letter he says he read at this time because it wont help his case. JMO.

I think you are right. It could hurt or more likely is so ambiguous it won't make a difference. Those on each side will stay on the side they were already on after seeing the letter. Better to make it sound nefarious and throw in that SB wouldn't give Reilly a copy of the letter so he's labeled a "bad guy." Never mind that SB is an attorney not involved in the Emotional Distress case (except as someone Reilly claims he would have sued too if he lived in Florida.) So SB would have been very irresponsible to turn over the letter. Plus there is a MTD.

Keeping info secret from the defense so they are surprised in court is usually helpful to prosecutors in criminal cases and plaintiffs in civil suits but that doesn't apply here. Obviously the defense knows what the letter says. @Wallendo may be right it's not all about the jury pool but it seems clear to me Reilly's comments are an effort to manipulate public opinion.
JMO

I think you are right. It could hurt or more likely is so ambiguous it won't make a difference. Those on each side will stay on the side they were already on after seeing the letter. Better to make it sound nefarious and throw in that SB wouldn't give Reilly a copy of the letter so he's labeled a "bad guy." Never mind that SB is an attorney not involved in the Emotional Distress case (except as someone Reilly claims he would have sued too if he lived in Florida.) So SB would have been very irresponsible to turn over the letter. Plus there is a MTD.

Keeping info secret from the defense so they are surprised in court is usually helpful to prosecutors in criminal cases and plaintiffs in civil suits but that doesn't apply here. Obviously the defense knows what the letter says. @Wallendo may be right it's not all about the jury pool but it seems clear to me Reilly's comments are an effort to manipulate public opinion.
JMO
BBM
"but it seems clear to me Reilly's comments are an effort to manipulate public opinion.
JMO"

Really?

Gabby's family as well as both attorneys went to meet the FBI to retrieve Gabby's private belongings (Bertilino obtaining BL's belongings amongst other reasons).

NS was uncomfortable that Bertilino was there while she was picking up the belongings of her deceased daughter.

While there (aound the 3:20 mark) Reilly states: "I don't believe Mr. Bertolino knew about the letter. And the surprise on his face was very interesting as he read that letter."

Reilly requested a copy of Raberta's letter and Bertilino refused.

Wonder why...

Bertilino within 30 minutes of the time they left the FBI office, released the notebook to the public. The timing shocked Reilly.

So who was in a hurry to influence public opinion? Bertilino.

And add Bertilino picks and chooses like a buffet what to release and what to hide.

Reilly told WFLA: “I find it ironic that Mr Bertolino says he was, in full transparency, releasing this."

“Well, someone should ask him why he doesn’t release the entire notebook – but more importantly, ask him why he doesn’t
release Roberta Laundrie’s letter to her son.”

Not to me. Two points

1. The 28th was a Saturday. I don't think it's possible to ship a package from FL on Sat to arrive in WY on Sunday. USPS and FedEx ship overnight only on business days so far as I can tell. I think a Saturday shipment-- assuming one can post one-- may even not go out until Monday. Meaning a Tuesday arrival (Aug 31 in this case) BL couldn't have been still in WY on Aug 31.

2. But regardless, the post I was responding to in the post you quoted said he had plenty of stolen money by the time RL could have shipped anything on the 28th/29th. If the warrant is correct (and it may not be-- it's not proof by itself) the accts weren't accessed until the 30th. So he wouldn't necessarily had plenty money on the 28th/29th.

Edit to add: No, my post did not allege she was murdered between Aug 30 & Sept 1.I
Your point about shipping overnight on the weekend cannot be ignored. While it is available through the USPS's Priority Express (which includes Sundays and holidays), from what I can find, that is only available in larger metropolitan areas.

Riley says the letter appears to have been written after GP died, and he states he was led to believe BL got the letter before he arrived back in North Port. These are not definitive facts, of course, but if this is what they believe, then the letter had to be sent to somewhere for BL to receive it, it had to have been mailed and picked up between Aug. 28 and Sept. 1, and no matter how much it doesn't make sense, it had to happen (if their timeline is correct).

If BL killed GP on the 27th, he chose to hang around the area for at least two more days. Why? It sounds good that he was waiting for a package delivered to Jackson, but maybe he wasn't. Maybe the package was going to be mailed to another location along his route home and he was waiting to time his arrival on the right day. He could have picked up the letter at any point, including as late as Sept 1. Maybe the letter was never even mailed, but left at some location in FL, where he could pick it up before he got home. Maybe this was all an attempt to communicate without being traced. IDK. It sounds ridiculous, but the dates are what Riley provided, not ones we are making up.

So much of this lawsuit goes against the direction I have tended to lean towards in regards to the Ls knowledge, but as has been pointed out, what the lawyers are saying, and the claims being made, have yet to be substantiated publicly with evidence. However, that doesn't mean the evidence isn't there, we just don't know.

Last edited:
I don't know what, if any, evidence the Ps have to suggest BL killed GP on the 27th, but it all goes back to what we've discussed before: why the h*ll did he hang around the area for 2 days? It's why I always wondered if he maybe killed her on the 28th or 29th instead. I mean, I don't care if he called his mom, or didn't tell anyone, or was waiting for a package, or trying to decide what to do, etc. Two days is a long time to hang around with your van parked in a non-designated parking spot nearby the body of someone you killed. That means he tried to alibi himself with hitchhiking rides, sent deceptive texts from her phone, used her cards to make it look like she was still alive, etc. Then he comes up with multiple confession stories, any of which would likely go against the actions he took trying to make it look like she was still alive during his trip home. None of it makes sense...which likely shows his state of mind, I guess.

But, RL's letter to BL, and the whole saw in the cake comment, whether metaphoric, joking, etc., says a lot, imo. She thought BL was going to wind up in trouble because of GP. I don't take that lightly. I think that is a significant clue to things no matter when it was written and received.

I don't know what, if any, evidence the Ps have to suggest BL killed GP on the 27th, but it all goes back to what we've discussed before: why the h*ll did he hang around the area for 2 days? It's why I always wondered if he maybe killed her on the 28th or 29th instead. I mean, I don't care if he called his mom, or didn't tell anyone, or was waiting for a package, or trying to decide what to do, etc. Two days is a long time to hang around with your van parked in a non-designated parking spot nearby the body of someone you killed. That means he tried to alibi himself with hitchhiking rides, sent deceptive texts from her phone, used her cards to make it look like she was still alive, etc. Then he comes up with multiple confession stories, any of which would likely go against the actions he took trying to make it look like she was still alive during his trip home. None of it makes sense...which likely shows his state of mind, I guess.

But, RL's letter to BL, and the whole saw in the cake comment, whether metaphoric, joking, etc., says a lot, imo. She thought BL was going to wind up in trouble because of GP. I don't take that lightly. I think that is a significant clue to things no matter when it was written and received.
Excellent post!

And.... still... all this so-called/implied damning "evidence" was in the hands of the FBI for months now... surely to have been reviewed/analyzed/etc... and - it appears - did not cause warrants/charges/etc. And now returned to private citizens. How meaningful can it really be?

Standard of proof in civil court differs from criminal court.

Civil court found OJ SImpson responsible for the deaths of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman

and civil court found Adam Shacknai responsible for the death of Rebecca Zahau

I expect this is the aim of this legal action.

jmho ymmv lrr

Last edited:
Your point about shipping overnight on the weekend cannot be ignored. While it is available through the USPS's Priority Express (which includes Sundays and holidays), from what I can find, that is only available in larger metropolitan areas.

Riley says the letter appears to have been written after GP died, and he states he was led to believe BL got the letter before he arrived back in North Port. These are not definitive facts, of course, but if this is what they believe, then the letter had to be sent to somewhere for BL to receive it, it had to have been mailed and picked up between Aug. 28 and Sept. 1, and no matter how much it doesn't make sense, it had to happen (if their timeline is correct).

If BL killed GP on the 27th, he chose to hang around the area for at least two more days. Why? It sounds good that he was waiting for a package delivered to Jackson, but maybe he wasn't. Maybe the package was going to be mailed to another location along his route home and he was waiting to time his arrival on the right day. He could have picked up the letter at any point, including as late as Sept 1. Maybe the letter was never even mailed, but left at some location in FL, where he could pick it up before he got home. Maybe this was all an attempt to communicate without being traced. IDK. It sounds ridiculous, but the dates are what Riley provided, not ones we are making up.

So much of this lawsuit goes against the direction I have tended to lean towards in regards to the Ls knowledge, but as has been pointed out, what the lawyers are saying, and the claims being made, have yet to be substantiated publicly with evidence. However, that doesn't mean the evidence isn't there, we just don't know.
BBM
I understood he said:

“I don’t know if that letter was written before or after he came back to North Port but — the most I want to say is there was an offer to assist Brian with some things in that letter,”

BBM
I understood he said:

“I don’t know if that letter was written before or after he came back to North Port but — the most I want to say is there was an offer to assist Brian with some things in that letter,”

From @gliving's post yesterday:

“I’m led to believe he received that before he came back to North Port but I don’t know that for certain,” Reilly said."

Gabby Petito family attorney claims Roberta Laundrie sent letter to son marked ‘burn after you read’

I have always thought BL murdered GP in the van some time after lunch on August 27th. I believe he hung around for two days. It seems to be his MO; he walks away when he doesn't like the situation or if GP isn't behaving as he wanted. I always wondered why he just didn't drive to Coulter Bay? Why hike? I always thought because an injured/deceased GP was left in the van. He tried to escape the situation, but really had nowhere to run. Maybe it was his parents that told him to come home?? Don't know. Her body was put where she was found because both of them probably had camped there at that spot in the days prior. He would take her somewhere familiar. His note doesn't really line up very well with the evidence I have heard. I think he writes about his own pain. I imagine his feet hurt from hiking in the Tetons for two days, and his wrist hurt from carrying her body across the Creek. I don't understand why she had her hiking shoes near her body, which makes his story even more fantasy. It keeps leading me back to her being beaten in the van on August 27th.

BBM
I understood he said:

Is it possible this letter was written by RL before he flew back to SLC. Perhaps, BL told her of the Moab incident, and she offered to help him if he got into anymore trouble while out West. ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie