Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend lost her Mom last summer and her Dad is of course, still quite despondent. He is in his late 80s I think. Anyway, one of the last dinners before her Mom died, I had brought over some type of blueberry lemon cookie bar, coffee cake or something. I can't even remember what it was. I had missed putting in the correct amount of sugar and thought it would be terrible. But, I took it anyway. Well, unbeknownst to me, her Dad loves everything lemon. His comment was, whatever you did, do it again, because this is delicious. So I left all the rest of it with them that night.

Last night I had dinner with my friend. She mentioned how her Dad was feeling left out, most of the post funeral attention had subsided, old friends and neighbors fading away, etc. Well, they're all old and not well either so that is to be expected.

Every Wednesday night they have a family dinner. Her Dad, her and her kids. So this next Tuesday, I'm going to make the Philadelphia Cream Cheese Lemon Cheesecake again. I'm going to add blueberries to it too and let it chill. Then I'll surprise him and drop it off Wednesday morning. I think that will perk him up, and momentarily, get him out of his funk. I'll let you know how it goes.
Such a very sweet and kind thing to do. I am sure he will appreciate your yummy treat.

Not too long ago, few Americans ate garlic.

It had too strong a taste; it was too sharp. It made your breath smell bad. There is a reason that it was associated with keeping away vampires — the flavor and aroma were too intense, even for them.

If consumed at all, garlic would only be eaten in Italian food, and only in small amounts.

That was how we thought at least through the 1960s. But now, we love the stuff. On average, Americans now eat more than 2 pounds of garlic each year, according to the Garlic Seed Foundation...

It had too strong a taste; it was too sharp. It made your breath smell bad. There is a reason that it was associated with keeping away vampires — the flavor and aroma were too intense, even for them.

If consumed at all, garlic would only be eaten in Italian food, and only in small amounts.

That was how we thought at least through the 1960s. But now, we love the stuff. On average, Americans now eat more than 2 pounds of garlic each year, according to the Garlic Seed Foundation...
Well that's true in this household! After my divorce, the girls and I expanded our pallets, learned to cook lots of cool stuff and redid recipes to accommodate our food allergies. Garlic life is good.

Quite often, when a recipe calls for a certain amount of chopped garlic, I will peel several whole cloves and "float" them in the sauce or whatever I'm cooking. When it's finished cooking, and the dish has the flavor of garlic without the "bite".

I made chicken with 40 cloves of garlic after I'd watched Ina Garten make the dish on Barefoot Contessa. I used only 20 garlic cloves because I was afraid that the dish would be too garlicky. The garlic flavor was very subtle, which was fine with me :) Chicken with Forty Cloves of Garlic | Recipes

Last edited:
Did a little food prep today. I started with a Pioneer Country Gravy Mix and used whole milk instead of water. I diced up 2 frozen turkey sausage patties and added them to it. Baked 4 frozen Pillsbury biscuits. I didn’t get done until noon so I will call it brunch! Ha!

I made what I call brownies but the recipe is Fudge Pie. It’s like a cross between fudge and brownies. It is very rich so I cut pieces really small. I froze 2 small containers. I put parchment paper between the layers because they’re gooey. There’s a crunchy crust on top.

My friend gave me this recipe in 1989! It is well used for sure. When my cousin was in the service overseas, I’d mail him a dish of them.

Attachments

• 926176FA-757D-462F-B675-0A583767F278.jpeg
    926176FA-757D-462F-B675-0A583767F278.jpeg
    153.4 KB · Views: 25
  • DB817F75-B124-490F-90FF-98381592ADA9.jpeg
    DB817F75-B124-490F-90FF-98381592ADA9.jpeg
    119 KB · Views: 25
  • C7038F67-6C2E-4CA0-81CA-E8815438E2DA.jpeg
    C7038F67-6C2E-4CA0-81CA-E8815438E2DA.jpeg
    103.7 KB · Views: 26
Did a little food prep today. I started with a Pioneer Country Gravy Mix and used whole milk instead of water. I diced up 2 frozen turkey sausage patties and added them to it. Baked 4 frozen Pillsbury biscuits. I didn’t get done until noon so I will call it brunch! Ha!

I made what I call brownies but the recipe is Fudge Pie. It’s like a cross between fudge and brownies. It is very rich so I cut pieces really small. I froze 2 small containers. I put parchment paper between the layers because they’re gooey. There’s a crunchy crust on top.

My friend gave me this recipe in 1989! It is well used for sure. When my cousin was in the service overseas, I’d mail him a dish of them.
Looks delicious!!

Yesterday was our 51st anniversary. We had a lovely dinner at Joe Muer in Bloomfield Hills. We started our meal with a split of Champagne and Oysters Rockefeller. I would ordinarily say the appetizer was amazing, but the tiny oysters were overwhelmed with creamed spinach, bacon, gruyere cheese. The dish was more about the trimmings than the oysters. We both would have preferred another appetizer, perhaps the smoked whitefish pate that used to be complimentary.

After finishing our Champagne and appetizer, we ordered a bottle of Pinot Noir to accompany our dinner. DH had a question about the menu before he decided on Bronzino for his entree. The last time he ordered the Mediterranean fish, it was served whole - head and all. Neither of us enjoys this presentation. Lovely waitress told us that many customers didn't care for the whole fish, either, and that now it is filleted and served with a rustic vegetable topping/sauce. DH deemed it wonderful. I had a difficult time deciding between my favorite Dover sole or scallops. The ramps, spring onion, and Morel mushroom accompaniment for the scallops sounded awesome, so I chose that for my entree. The dish featured four enormous scallops and some whole Morel mushrooms on a bed of ramps and spring onions. Delicious! We shared Pommes Frites (fries) with lemon garlic aioli.

Since it was our anniversary, we were presented with a miniature version of Joe Muer's classic coconut cake with a "Happy Anniversary" chocolate garnish. The restaurant had become very busy and noisy, but we lingered so we could finish our wine. We had enjoyed listening to the female vocalist who was, at times, overwhelmed by her accompanist. She did a nice rendering of Etta James' "At Last" (I sang along). We planned to watch a favorite movie when we got home, but after a glass of Champagne and a bottle of Pinot Noir, we decided to watch a couple of episodes of Law & Order: SVU instead because we knew we couldn't stay awake for an entire movie. Enjoy your Sunday.

Last edited:

Fudge pie sounds good! Can you clarify the baking instructions? It says 350 for 22 minutes gas oven, then 350 for 30 minutes. Is the latter for an electric oven?

I wonder if you can substitute chocolate chips for the squares of chocolate...?

Yesterday was our 51st anniversary. We had a lovely dinner at Joe Muer in Bloomfield Hills. We started our meal with a split of Champagne and Oysters Rockefeller. I would ordinarily say the appetizer was amazing, but the tiny oysters were overwhelmed with creamed spinach, bacon, gruyere cheese. The dish was more about the trimmings than the oysters. We both would have preferred another appetizer, perhaps the smoked whitefish pate that used to be complimentary.

After finishing our Champagne and appetizer, we ordered a bottle of Pinot Noir to accompany our dinner. DH had a question about the menu before he decided on Bronzino for his entree. The last time he ordered the Mediterranean fish, it was served whole - head and all. Neither of us enjoys this presentation. Lovely waitress told us that many customers didn't care for the whole fish, either, and that now it is filleted and served with a rustic vegetable topping/sauce. DH deemed it wonderful. I had a difficult time deciding between my favorite Dover sole or scallops. The ramps, spring onion, and Morel mushroom accompaniment for the scallops sounded awesome, so I chose that for my entree. The dish featured four enormous scallops and some whole Morel mushrooms on a bed of ramps and spring onions. Delicious! We shared Pommes Frites (fries) with lemon garlic aioli.

Since it was our anniversary, we were presented with a miniature version of Joe Muer's classic coconut cake with a "Happy Anniversary" chocolate garnish. The restaurant had become very busy and noisy, but we lingered so we could finish our wine. We had enjoyed listening to the female vocalist who was, at times, overwhelmed by her accompanist. She did a nice rendering of Etta James' "At Last" (I sang along). We planned to watch a favorite movie when we got home, but after a glass of Champagne and a bottle of Pinot Noir, we decided to watch a couple of episodes of Law & Order: SVU instead because we knew we couldn't stay up for an entire movie. Enjoy your Sunday.

Happy Anniversary! It sounds like you had a lovely meal.
Ps I am a Law and Order SVU fanatic. Watching reruns as I type this on USA network. They play them back to back. I am on my 4th episode.

Last edited:

Since it was our anniversary, we were presented with a miniature version of Joe Muer's classic coconut cake with a "Happy Anniversary" chocolate garnish. The restaurant had become very busy and noisy, but we lingered so we could finish our wine. We had enjoyed listening to the female vocalist who was, at times, overwhelmed by her accompanist. She did a nice rendering of Etta James' "At Last" (I sang along). We planned to watch a favorite movie when we got home, but after a glass of Champagne and a bottle of Pinot Noir, we decided to watch a couple of episodes of Law & Order: SVU instead because we knew we couldn't stay up for an entire movie. Enjoy your Sunday.

Happy anniversary! It sounds like an almost perfect 51st anniversary dinner. I love that you sang along on "At Last." :)

Happy Anniversary! It sounds like you had a lovely meal.
Ps I am a Law and Order SUV fanatic. Watching reruns as I type this on USA network. They play them back to back. I am on my 4th episode.
We can recite most episodes having seen them so many times :D I checked out the episodes that are on today but don't have it on yet. Do you watch it on Saturdays on ION? (A2 station) DH has gone swimming and will stop at Nino's for something for dinner as we forgot to take anything out of the freezer.

Fudge pie sounds good! Can you clarify the baking instructions? It says 350 for 22 minutes gas oven, then 350 for 30 minutes. Is the latter for an electric oven?

I wonder if you can substitute chocolate chips for the squares of chocolate...?
Sorry, that recipe page is so old and I've scribbled on it making it messy.

The 4 squares of chocolate used to be 1 oz each. Bakers unsweetened chocolate used to be 8 oz per box. However, now the box is only 4 oz so, you need the entire box for this recipe.

I would not substitute chocolate chips unless they are 100% unsweetened cocoa chips. I don't even know if they make those?

The orignal recipe from Cindy said 30 minutes and she had an electric oven. I had a gas oven so 22 minutes was for that particular oven.

Now I have a GE electric oven. I do 27 minutes and a toothpick in the middle usually has a few sticky crumbs on it when it's done. I use a metal pan lined with foil that has cooking spray on it.

Once they cool, lift the foil out of the pan and put it on a solid surface or a cutting board. Then use a disposable plastic knife to cut squares. A metal knife sticks to the gooey part and makes a mess.

They freeze really well. I keep a dish of them in the fridge because I'm in Florida. Everything stays in the fridge and it's hot as Hades here so it's a nice cool treat.

1656262795427.png

One of the first recipes I learned to make when I first started cooking was a James Beard recipe, Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic. Back then, using a whole clove of garlic, let alone 40 cloves, was practically unheard of. Usually garlic powder was used if a recipe called for garlic, and even then it was used very sparingly.

Your Fudge Pie recipe is very similar to a recipe I made as a teen, it was called “Brudgies” and it tasted like a cross between fudge and brownies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77