Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #85

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's certainly possible. But it's also possible B's actions were different away from family than they were around any family members. I don't think any of us can know. But for some reason that retired FBI agent, Jennifer Coffindaffer, felt the need to say Cassie probably lied about the relationship between G&P. That she must have known how toxic it was because they lived with her a few years ago. My point was just that as recent as the 2 1/2 weeks before the trip G&B stayed with her family in NY-- and her family said they saw nothing amiss. So maybe Cassie didn't either 2 years ago. Chances are things between them had only gotten worse after almost 2 years.

I get that people wish there were more obvious signs because that way there would be a better chance of stopping tragedies. And for me, I think the L's must have at least seen the couple fighting (and as I recall, Cassie did say they argued alot too.) But I don't understand how anyone outside the situation can say on a national news show Person X "lied" about not knowing G&B had a toxic relationship. Sometimes things are hidden.
JMO
I for one am very suspicious of this "retired FBI agent" and how she is inserting herself into this case, saying Cassie "probably lied", which is nothing but her opinion. I feel its unethical of her to trade on her FBI credential after she left the force. MOO

Interesting thought, but I don't think a parent would write a suicide note for their child. I think RL truly loved her son and would, like most parents, do whatever she could to protect him. I do think she would do that within the boundaries of the law, however.
I agree. It doesn’t make much sense. I was just trying to think of what it could possibly say that would make Reilly so sure it was written between GPs death and BLs suicide.

Just saw this, and there is a reference within this article re the Wrongful Death suit:

Gabby Petito's Mother 'Fed Up' After Release Of Laundrie's Notebook​

After Laundrie's notebook confession to killing Petito was released, her mother tweeted that she's "fed up," "the truth will be revealed."​

Tiffany Razzano's profile picture

Tiffany Razzano, Patch Staff​

Posted Mon, Jun 27, 2022 at 4:08 pm ET

SARASOTA COUNTY, FL — Gabby Petito’s mother, Nichole Schmidt, tweeted Monday morning that she’s “fed up,” after an attorney for Brian Laundrie’s parents released pages from his notebook in which he confessed to killing her daughter at a Wyoming campground last August.
[...]
In his written confession, Laundrie said that Petito fell in while crossing a stream at the Spread Creek Dispersed Camping area and injured herself. She had difficulty staying awake and he said he worried she might have a concussion.
He wrote, “I don’t know the extent of Gabby’s injurys (sic). Only that she was in extreme pain. I ended her life, I thought it was merciful, that it is what she wanted, but I see now all the mistakes I made. I panicked; I was in shock.”
In her tweet, Schmidt shared an image with the words, “Narcissists rewrite history to escape accountability.”
[...]
Petito’s parents — Schmidt and Joseph Petito — have filed a civil wrongful death lawsuit against Laundrie’s parents, Chris and Roberta Laundrie, in Sarasota County. Attorneys for both sides met in court for the first time Wednesday for a pre-trial hearing. A judge will determine within the next two weeks whether the suit will move forward to a jury trial next summer.
----------------------
More here, including other references:

I was thinking something similar. They ate the chips, ordered food and then he got angry when it took too long for the food to be delivered. MOO.
I guess he simply was a spoiled and full-time jerk. SMH. Bless her heart, poor Gabby -- and she was stuck with him day & night with only a few breaks.

From the Patch post above, yes, indeed she had a concussion...plus a strangulation to boot. She who had hiked all over the place, probably having proper hiking shoes and sure-footed with or without shoes...
What a hero he was... <gag>

What we've heard about Roberta's letter:

* Reilly told us about the letter. If he hadn't no one would be the wiser. Bertilino would still be sitting on without anyone knowing.

* RL offered to assist her son.

* Reilly's understanding is that the letter at one point had been in the van, but then it was taken from the Laundrie home during the time when the search warrant was executed.

* Riley said the letter is pretty interesting.

* Riley said the letter is a pretty odd letter.

* Riley said the letter is pretty extreme.

* Outside of envelop said "burn after you read this."

* Reilly said the surprise on Bertilino's face was very interesting when he read the letter.

* Reilly doesn't think Bertilino knew about the letter.

* Reilly knew the letter had existed.

* Reilly had a good idea what was going to be in that letter.

* The letter is not dated.

* One scenario was "if you go to jail, I'll bake a cake and put a knife in it or saw in it."

* It appears to have been written between the time that Gabby was murdered and Brian committed suicide.

* There are scenarios (plural) presented by Roberta to assist her son.

* RL was not offering to assist her son in his suicide.

* Reilly nor Gabby's mother has a copy of RL's letter.

* Bertilino refused to give them a copy.

* There was also something written in that letter about Gabby. It was an offer that had to do with Gabby.

Am I missing anything?

Last edited:
What we do know about Roberta's letter:

* Reilly told us about the letter. If he hadn't no one would be the wiser. Bertilino would still be sitting on without anyone knowing.

* RL offered to assist her son.

* Reilly's understanding is that the letter at one point had been in the van, but then it was taken from the Laundrie home during the time when the search warrant was executed.

* Riley said the letter is pretty interesting.

* Riley said the letter is a pretty odd letter.

* Riley said the letter is pretty extreme.

* Outside of envelop said "burn after you read this."

* Reilly said the surprise on Bertilino's face was very interesting when he read the letter.

* Reilly knew the letter had existed.

* Reilly had a good idea what was going to be in that letter.

* The letter is not dated.

* One scenario was "if you go to jail, I'll bake a cake and put a knife in it or saw in it."

* It appears to have been written between the time that Gabby was murdered and Brian committed suicide.

* There are scenarios (plural) presented by Roberta to assist her son.

* RL was not offering to assist her son in his suicide.

* Reilly nor Gabby's mother has a copy of RL's letter.

* Bertilino refused to give them a copy.

* There was also something written in that letter about Gabby. It was an offer that had to do with Gabby.

Am I missing anything?
We wont know what is really in the RL letter until it's released to the public. JMO.

From the Patch post above, yes, indeed she had a concussion...plus a strangulation to boot. She who had hiked all over the place, probably having proper hiking shoes and sure-footed with or without shoes...
What a hero he was... <gag>
Maybe she was clocked with a rock or log first. Or maybe she was shoved face down and hit her head. Or maybe she was chased through water caught and strangled. Since she didn't die right away then he hit her with "something."

I don't understand her feet hurting. Her boots were next to the fire not on her.

That's certainly possible. But it's also possible B's actions were different away from family than they were around any family members. I don't think any of us can know. But for some reason that retired FBI agent, Jennifer Coffindaffer, felt the need to say Cassie probably lied about the relationship between G&P. That she must have known how toxic it was because they lived with her a few years ago. My point was just that as recent as the 2 1/2 weeks before the trip G&B stayed with her family in NY-- and her family said they saw nothing amiss. So maybe Cassie didn't either 2 years ago. Chances are things between them had only gotten worse after almost 2 years.

I get that people wish there were more obvious signs because that way there would be a better chance of stopping tragedies. And for me, I think the L's must have at least seen the couple fighting (and as I recall, Cassie did say they argued alot too.) But I don't understand how anyone outside the situation can say on a national news show Person X "lied" about not knowing G&B had a toxic relationship. Sometimes things are hidden.
JMO
Oh I definitely agree with you! I think being with somebody in a small space for months can lead up to a lot of tension. I think that Brian really did hit her with something not trying to kill her then freaked out…def was certain on the trip he hit her… and also did they live with Cassie when they first started dating? Honeymoon stage?

Oh I definitely agree with you! I think being with somebody in a small space for months can lead up to a lot of tension. I think that Brian really did hit her with something not trying to kill her then freaked out…def was certain on the trip he hit her… and also did they live with Cassie when they first started dating? Honeymoon stage?

or able to break away from BL's habitual strangling, GP ran across the stream, tripped & suffered head injury?

Providing the opportunity for (someone) to finish?

jmho ymmv lrr

You make a great point. I suspect the time frame from when her murder occured to when her mother reported her missing was eating him alive. If may have given him a very false sense of hope that he may get away with it. I also believe that he hung around the area to figure out what to do, create some type of timeline for himself that was separate from her.

If he planned to die by suicide, as his note indicates, he would have done it in Wyoming. He died by suicide because he couldn't face the punishment for her death by his hands. And to be candid his family would have been better off if he had done it in Wyoming. They would have probably gotten much of the sympathy that their attorney is now trying to manipulate for them. Once again - all my opinion.
Or why didn’t he just do it beside of her? Makes no sense you know? I think he didn’t realize how much attention it would’ve gotten until he saw the protesters

The time course of the relationship is a little confusing to me. Friends say they dated in HS-- and were known for their "drama-filled" up and down relationship. But NS denied they dated then and said it was after HS that they got together. Regardless, when they were first in FL as a couple, they lived with Cassie and her family. So it might not have been the beginning of the relationship when they lived with her but it sounds like it was the beginning of actually living together. And even CL said they did argue. But when she was asked about violence, she said she never saw anything of that sort.
JMO

Or why didn’t he just do it beside of her? Makes no sense you know? I think he didn’t realize how much attention it would’ve gotten until he saw the protesters
I don't know that because he didn't kill himself in WY he necessarily thought he'd get away with it. He wrote he wanted to see his family and Cassie did say he was close to her children. Also though, I'm not sure there were protestors at the L's when he left the house and went to the swamp. Looking back at news stories it looks like they started showing up Sept 16 and he was gone by then (& likely dead.)
JMO

He had a false sense of security, imo, because of the time between her death and when her mom reported her missing. I hope one day we know when he or his family first contacted their attorney.

Makes me so sad that her mother has to live with not reporting her missing sooner, not that it would have changed anything other than possibly finding her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla