Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trudie

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
I actually went out to an open air party on Sunday evening. First time out for an evening in more than two years. Because of the long Covid I had to plan a bit as Mr HKP was working and couldn’t drive me so I booked cabs. As I wasnt driving I had really set my mind on a Margarita from the cocktail bar. The queue was so long, and I’d only allowed two hours there to not be wiped out for this week, so I didn’t get my Margarita(s!) :confused:

Anyway, not to be left out I have ordered some supplies in my grocery shop this week. Tequila, Cointreau and limes, ice. Aiming for Margaritas in the garden this weekend with Mr HKP but I haven’t made them at home before.
Any suggestions out of the norm? Or tried and tested measures?

I actually went out to an open air party on Sunday evening. First time out for an evening in more than two years. Because of the long Covid I had to plan a bit as Mr HKP was working and couldn’t drive me so I booked cabs. As I wasnt driving I had really set my mind on a Margarita from the cocktail bar. The queue was so long, and I’d only allowed two hours there to not be wiped out for this week, so I didn’t get my Margarita(s!) :confused:

Anyway, not to be left out I have ordered some supplies in my grocery shop this week. Tequila, Cointreau and limes, ice. Aiming for Margaritas in the garden this weekend with Mr HKP but I haven’t made them at home before.
Someone on the Facebook gardening page I’m on posted a photo of her mangos and how she made mangoritas instead. It was a very popular post. It’s mango season in FL.

I saw PN's post about spice mixes on the Food & Recipes forum earlier and was going to reply. Thread was closed and a new one started, so I'm responding here. Actually, my comment is more about grocery shopping, but since PN's post was on the Food & Recipe thread, I'll share here because it's related to spice mixes.

Following the holiday season last year, I was running low on Poultry Seasoning, so I put it on a weekly grocery list. DH or I must have gotten it and put it in the pantry but didn't open it because we still had some left in another bottle. I must have completely forgotten that one of us had already bought a new bottle because the Poultry Seasoning wasn't in my spice basket, and I thought we didn't have any and bought another bottle. I discovered just recently when I needed the seasoning mix for Chicken Divan that I made for our neighbor that we had two unopened bottles of Spice Hunter Poultry Seasoning. I will have to start making a lot of chicken or turkey dishes to use up two bottles of Poultry Seasoning :D

I tried two food items I was given. First was the Parmesan chicken pieces. I put them in the toaster oven on 300 deg because they were frozen. Once they thawed, I cut the big ones in half. Then increased the temp to 375 deg. I tasted them and they were ok but felt they were missing something. I opened some spaghetti sauce and dipped them in that. It helped some.

I decided they’d really be better if they were used as a Chicken Parmesan pasta dish. Tomorrow I’ll make a little angel hair pasta, top with the spaghetti sauce and add the chicken on top. I think this prepped meal would be a good short cut option for a quick evening meal.

The second was the turkey lunch meat. It had seasonings on it I would never add but it tasted ok. So I made a sandwich and put it in the toaster oven until the cheese melted. I added tomato slices.

I would not buy either of these items myself but it’s always nice to try something new. When my kids were young they always wanted Chik-fil-A nuggets. I nearly perfected a recipe that was identical. I’d buy frozen waffle fries to bake too. They loved it and gobbled it up. I was expecting these nuggets to have that vibe. They didn’t tho. I think they tried too hard on the breading.

Attachments

• 6B521D8A-F825-4088-9B58-80B7737D3D41.jpeg
    6B521D8A-F825-4088-9B58-80B7737D3D41.jpeg
    145.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 2542ACCF-3499-4A8F-BEAE-4E65CDAEBB40.jpeg
    2542ACCF-3499-4A8F-BEAE-4E65CDAEBB40.jpeg
    115.3 KB · Views: 7
  • E5762A4E-6866-4E22-A7BC-64F8A4674169.jpeg
    E5762A4E-6866-4E22-A7BC-64F8A4674169.jpeg
    96.6 KB · Views: 7

Our favorite homemade margarita is super simple. We like them on the rocks in a larger high ball glass. I am not a fan of tippy margarita glasses. Ok in a restaurant but at home I like a regular glass.
Get some margarita salt and run a lime wedge on the rim of the glass to make it sticky and dip the glass rim in the salt.
Add 2 shots of tequila, one shot of cointreau and one shot of fresh squeezed lime juice. Add a generous squeeze of agave nectar. Stir it all up. Add ice to cover and enjoy. These pack a punch but are as close to an authentic margarita as they come. Cheers!!
PS I am sorry you didn’t get your margarita out. I do hope you enjoyed your night out, though.

Our favorite homemade margarita is super simple. We like them on the rocks in a larger high ball glass. I am not a fan of tippy margarita glasses. Ok in a restaurant but at home I like a regular glass.
Get some margarita salt and run a lime wedge on the rim of the glass to make it sticky and dip the glass rim in the salt.
Add 2 shots of tequila, one shot of cointreau and one shot of fresh squeezed lime juice. Add a generous squeeze of agave nectar. Stir it all up. Add ice to cover and enjoy. These pack a punch but are as close to an authentic margarita as they come. Cheers!!
PS I am sorry you didn’t get your margarita out. I do hope you enjoyed your night out, though.
I like the idea of margaritas, and your recipe sounds good, but I got extremely sick on tequila (TKO's - Tequila, Kahlúa, and Ouzo) when I was a teenager upteen years ago and cannot even tolerate the smell of it now, let alone consume it. I do like a good Bloody Mary though.

Thank you for this (and glad you don’t just stick to rum, yo ho ho..)

The agave nectar isn’t a thing we’d find here as standard. I’ll look into that.

And yes I did thank you, it was v nice to see some people I hadn’t seen in a long time. I was greeted with a Pimm’s, so wasn’t empty handed ;)

I finally made enchiladas today. I didn’t make the queso I want to try. I used red sauce that I had on hand. 4 chicken and 2 veggie.

My friends daughter brought her Grand Dad over to pick up the lemon cheesecake and cool whip. She had driven him to the eye doctor. He can’t drive anymore now. I got to talk to him a little and let him know I’d be a driver for him too. He was very appreciative of the dessert. I could tell he was very touched that I thought of him.

Attachments

• CA792B0B-E77B-483B-9D9E-33F43FB6B522.jpeg
    CA792B0B-E77B-483B-9D9E-33F43FB6B522.jpeg
    129.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 4C869983-52E1-4787-8200-92B8208ADD69.jpeg
    4C869983-52E1-4787-8200-92B8208ADD69.jpeg
    141.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 5466BFEF-F7CA-4BBE-B63C-3B3D326C9E46.jpeg
    5466BFEF-F7CA-4BBE-B63C-3B3D326C9E46.jpeg
    120.5 KB · Views: 21
I finally made enchiladas today. I didn’t make the queso I want to try. I used red sauce that I had on hand. 4 chicken and 2 veggie.

My friends daughter brought her Grand Dad over to pick up the lemon cheesecake and cool whip. She had driven him to the eye doctor. He can’t drive anymore now. I got to talk to him a little and let him know I’d be a driver for him too. He was very appreciative of the dessert. I could tell he was very touched that I thought of him.

Very kind and thoughtful of you! It's nice you got to talk with him.

Costco's rotisserie chicken has to be one of the best buys these days, especially in light of rising food costs. The rotisserie chicken has been $4.99 since we started going to Costco more than 20 years ago. It is consistently meaty and very flavorful. The plump bird would easily feed a family of four with at least two meals. DH and I get four+ meals out of a single bird. We had delicious slices of chicken breast with asparagus and a salad on Monday. On Tuesday, DH dismantled the rest of the chicken and divided it for two more meals. We shared a NY strip steak on Tuesday with oven fries and the remainder of a bunch of asparagus. On Wednesday, DH made himself chicken & noodles while I enjoyed the two drumsticks. Last night, I made chicken salad with celery, red onion, walnuts, gorgonzola cheese, salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, and mayonnaise. In a throwback to the '70s, I cut two beautiful heirloom tomatoes into "flowers" and spooned the salad into them. The chicken salad stuffed tomato was my favorite meal of the week :)

Tonight, we are having sockeye salmon (from Costco) with Michigan zucchini. We'll go to Nino's tomorrow for groceries for the holiday weekend. All of the usual 4th of July foods are featured this week, but the prices are much higher than I remember them in recent years. A lot of folks are probably rethinking their holiday spreads due to skyrocketing food costs.

Happy 4th! Enjoy your holiday weekend.

Last edited:
Costco's rotisserie chicken has to be one of the best buys these days, especially in light of rising food costs. The rotisserie chicken has been $4.99 since we started going to Costco more than 20 years ago. It is consistently meaty and very flavorful. The plump bird would easily feed a family of four with at least two meals. DH and I get four+ meals out of a single bird. We had delicious slices of chicken breast with asparagus and a salad on Monday. On Tuesday, DH dismantled the rest of the chicken and divided it for two more meals. We shared a NY strip steak on Tuesday with oven fries and the remainder of a bunch of asparagus. On Wednesday, DH made himself chicken & noodles while I enjoyed the two drumsticks. Last night, I made chicken salad with celery, red onion, walnuts, gorgonzola cheese, salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, and mayonnaise. In a throwback to the '70s, I cut two beautiful heirloom tomatoes into "flowers" and spooned the salad into them. The chicken salad stuffed tomato was my favorite meal of the week :)

Tonight, we are having sockeye salmon (from Costco) with Michigan zucchini. We'll go to Nino's tomorrow for groceries for the holiday weekend. All of the usual 4th of July foods are featured this week, but the prices are much higher than I remember them in recent years. A lot of folks are probably rethinking their holiday spreads due to skyrocketing food costs.

Happy 4th! Enjoy your holiday weekend.

Thanks for the idea of serving chicken salad in a tomato flower! I made chicken salad yesterday from white meat from a Costco chicken, and there is enough for another meal. I used Duke's light olive oil mayo, chopped green onion, pieces of sweet cherries, and pecans in my version. We have nice tomatoes from the Farmer's Market. That will be a great way to serve it.

Thanks for the idea of serving chicken salad in a tomato flower! I made chicken salad yesterday from white meat from a Costco chicken, and there is enough for another meal. I used Duke's light olive oil mayo, chopped green onion, pieces of sweet cherries, and pecans in my version. We have nice tomatoes from the Farmer's Market. That will be a great way to serve it.
Can't recall the last time that I bought canned tuna (except for food donations), but in the '70s, we used to have tuna salad stuffed tomatoes at least once a week all summer long. I'm hooked on heirloom tomatoes and will consider having DH grill a tuna steak, make fresh tuna salad, and enjoy it in an heirloom tomato flower. Michigan tomatoes are delicious but aren't usually available until mid-August. Same with Michigan corn.

It's going to be very nice all weekend long. Our deck/patio were power washed on Tuesday, deck was stained yesterday, and guy is coming to do patio this afternoon. We will be able to enjoy our outdoor living space starting tomorrow :) No big plans; just a relaxing holiday weekend :)

Happy 4th of July weekend! We have a busy one with no food or recipes to post for you all. Tonight we are going to Pine Knob to see Jack Johnson. For those unfamiliar, Pine Knob is an outdoor concert venue in Clarkston, MI. They have a big hill for lawn seating and a pavilion as well. We bought the upgraded pavilion seats. To keep on topic dinner will be a couple of beers and subs, tailgating in the park of lot with the other fans.
Tomorrow we are meeting friends in Ann Arbor at a little vegan restaurant.
On the 4th we are going to see the Detroit tigers at Comerica Park. We will enjoy dinner at one of the many restaurants downtown. Our go to is the Detroit Beer Company.

We hit the local Farmers Market and nearly melted from the heat! But I found SC peaches!! The strawberries smell wonderful. My oldest found lychees and local mangos (in the white bag). I’m allergic to mangoes so I can’t touch them.

The paper bags have gluten free empanadas. I already ate my “margarita empanada” for lunch. It was fresh tomato, herbs & cheese. Reminded me of pizza. Yummy!

Attachments

• 710D700A-B67F-41A0-BD19-7034058CC66D.jpeg
    710D700A-B67F-41A0-BD19-7034058CC66D.jpeg
    131.6 KB · Views: 12
Fish and chips for dinner here tonight. Mr HKP is going to our local chippy shortly. Its been a while, I’m looking forward to it :)
Real British fish and chips - food for the gods :) There are some decent fish and chips purveyors closer to home, but those that we enjoyed while touring the UK were simply divine.

Happy 4th of July weekend! We have a busy one with no food or recipes to post for you all. Tonight we are going to Pine Knob to see Jack Johnson. For those unfamiliar, Pine Knob is an outdoor concert venue in Clarkston, MI. They have a big hill for lawn seating and a pavilion as well. We bought the upgraded pavilion seats. To keep on topic dinner will be a couple of beers and subs, tailgating in the park of lot with the other fans.
Tomorrow we are meeting friends in Ann Arbor at a little vegan restaurant.
On the 4th we are going to see the Detroit tigers at Comerica Park. We will enjoy dinner at one of the many restaurants downtown. Our go to is the Detroit Beer Company.
Haven't been to Pine Knob in many years, and I don't think we ever went when it was known as DTE Music Festival. In our previous neighborhood (Troy), we had a very active social group and went to many Pine Knob concerts with neighbors. We saw all the great entertainers of a by-gone era: Neil Diamond, Carole King, Carly Simon, Cat Stevens, B52s, Johnny Mathis, Vikki Carr, among others. Not sure how it started, but we'd meet at Peabody's (Birmingham) prior to concerts. It didn't make sense geographically from our sub in central Troy, but that's where people liked to go.

Do you mean Seva? I think the vegetarian/vegan restaurant opened in the early '70s when DH and I were in college. When DD wanted to be vegetarian starting in 4th grade, we would have lunch at the now closed Pure & Simple in Troy. We also liked Inn Season Cafe in Royal Oak (I think it's still open). In her late 40s, DD and her family are all completely vegan; it's the rage in southern CA.

DH and I hope to make it to at least one Tiger game this season - probably around the anniversary of our first date that was a matinee game in 1967. We worked for Detroit Parks & Rec and chaperoned a busload of kids to the Tiger game. We were treated to a hot dog, small bag of chips, a beverage, and a souvenir Tiger button. We actually like eating in the Beergarten at Comerica Park, although it can get awfully noisy at times. Nice selection of appetizers and sandwiches. When DH used to score the company tickets, we enjoyed the Tiger Den (private club). Plush surroundings, wait service, beer/wine/spirits, upscale appetizers, salads, sandwiches. Easy to get spoiled with the VIP treatment :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie