Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #85

Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM
"...Christopher Laundrie and Roberta Laundrie spoke with Attorney Steve Bertolino, and sent him a retainer on Sept. 2, 2021.”

They sent him a retainer, he was their attys when he made the statement.

Thank you for finding that.
I need to refresh my memory on the timeline.

SB is not a member of the Florida Bar, he is a member of the NY Bar, if I'm understanding it correctly. As I reflect on it now the L's never had a Florida attorney speak on their behalf at all. I am wondering if that will be an out for them in this Florida lawsuit. Just musings on my part.
True. And when the property was divvied up with the FBI in Tampa (& the notebook confession released) I had already wondered if SB was acting as an attorney that day. I wondered because people were saying he ought to have released RL's letter and/or given Reilly a copy. I disagreed partly because he wasn't representing them in the current lawsuit involving Reilly. At any rate, I'm pretty sure the L's could have asked a non-attorney to meet with the FBI and to deliver the confession to Fox. So I do wonder. Of course I also wonder if he accepted a retainer.... We don't know if he did. The P's say he did but that may not be true He could be a friend. If he did accept one though, he may rue the day. But if he wasn't their attorney there's no privilege either....
JMO

SB is not a member of the Florida Bar, he is a member of the NY Bar, if I'm understanding it correctly. As I reflect on it now the L's never had a Florida attorney speak on their behalf at all. I am wondering if that will be an out for them in this Florida lawsuit. Just musings on my part.
I was wondering about that also - would it have been a federal charge of murder? But then, the murder charge was never made. BUT, there was a federal charge made against Brian for the card fraud/theft - was the charge made before or after Bertolinos statement?

I am thinking if there was a current federal charge, then the statement may come into play, if not, then it won't.

During the hearing, something was said about Bertolino being the Laundries agent - that may come into play whether he is a member of the Florida bar or not. AND, both Bertolino, and at least Nicole Schmidt, were in New York when the statement was made - so then perhaps jursdiction becomes an issue?

So, complicated o_O

BBM
"...Christopher Laundrie and Roberta Laundrie spoke with Attorney Steve Bertolino, and sent him a retainer on Sept. 2, 2021.”

I wonder... can the FBI provide the Ps with bank statements or something, to show this retainer took place in Sept. 2nd?

BBM

No one on here is disputing that SB was the L's attorney, as far as I know, or disputing that they had formally retained him as their attorney.

I was wondering about that also - would it have been a federal charge of murder? But then, the murder charge was never made. BUT, there was a federal charge made against Brian for the card fraud/theft - was the charge made before or after Bertolinos statement?

I am thinking if there was a current federal charge, then the statement may come into play, if not, then it won't.

During the hearing, something was said about Bertolino being the Laundries agent - that may come into play whether he is a member of the Florida bar or not. AND, both Bertolino, and at least Nicole Schmidt, were in New York when the statement was made - so then perhaps jursdiction becomes an issue?

So, complicated o_O
At the time SB made the statement there were no charges of any kind. The charge related to the bank acct was brought after GP's body was found. Obviously SB made his statement before that.

I do wonder why the P's think a retainer was paid on Sept 2. <modsnip>
JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
At the time SB made the statement there were no charges of any kind. The charge related to the bank acct was brought after GP's body was found. Obviously SB made his statement before that.

I do wonder why the P's think a retainer was paid on Sept 2. <modsnip>
JMO
IMO - It was the Ashley Banfield interview with SB that discussed the retainer. If I find it, I'll post it :)

Last edited by a moderator:
No one on here is disputing that SB was the L's attorney, as far as I know, or disputing that they had formally retained him as their attorney.
Maybe I misunderstood, in post #974 you stated "Since it is not SB who is representing the L's as attorney..."

Then I posted Bertilino was their attorney, they sent him a retainer.

Yes, the judge is not confirming that SB's statement on behalf of the family was "outrageous," he is simply using the term that was used by the P's in their lawsuit and indicating that they can move forward with this claim, and now it is up to the P's to (1) provide evidence to show that the L's knew that Gabby was deceased at the time of that statement and (2) that the statement must be interpreted to mean that GP would be alive when found and reunited with her family, and (3) that the statement was intended to mislead, and (4) that the average person would find this statement to be "outrageous" (the P's term) if #2 and #3 were proven to be true.
BBM

The Judge is confirming SB's statement was outrageous. He was not "simply" mimicking Reily's term. Those 8 pages make it clear.

And how do they know that the L's spoke with BL and SB August 28th? I'm assuming it's through phone records. Also thinking that the L's may have wired SB the retainer. JMO
Wiring money costs though. I'd think there ought to be a different way for clients to pay him. Maybe not though. One thing for sure IMO. If RL was calling SB & wiring him money, that is NOT a woman who sent a paper letter overnight mail to to BL in WY or some other point on the way to FL in order to avoid an electronic trail!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes