TX - Moriah Wilson, 25, prized cyclist, fatally shot before race, Austin, May 2022 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
For what? Felony bad-boyfriend? What conceivably could he be charged with? Not supporting him, just think there’s a lot of misplaced anger toward him on this thread. He may be a creep, but his sins pale considerably when compared to Kaitlin’s.

He won't need a lawyer for murder, but he purchased the murder weapon knowing that his other girlfriend was off her head with jealousy.

"Strickland allegedly told authorities he purchased the alleged murder weapon for Armstrong." ...

"Investigators executed a search warrant at Armstrong’s home, which she shares with Strickland, and ultimately confirmed that one of the guns found in Armstrong’s home was the murder weapon: a Sig-Sauer P365 9mm, APD Homicide Det. Richard Spitler previously said."

I was thinking of her real estate bio which was posted here the other day, and the part that said she understands the importance of lifestyle choices.

IMO she leaned so hard into making her fugitive life into a lifestyle choice, and that hastened her capture. Costa Rica, beautiful beach, training as some kind of surfing yoga guru. If she had disappeared somewhere out of character she might have had a longer run. Too bad (for her)!

Hurley Beer & Barge must be so proud.

Also did anyone notice that in the video of KA with the female guard, she is wearing cut off denim shorts, but in the photo above--with the male guard--she is wearing black, more athletic looking shorts. Wonder why the need to change shorts?
Maybe she crapped her pants. I sure hope so.
O:)

I was thinking of her real estate bio which was posted here the other day, and the part that said she understands the importance of lifestyle choices.

IMO she leaned so hard into making her fugitive life into a lifestyle choice, and that hastened her capture. Costa Rica, beautiful beach, training as some kind of surfing yoga guru. If she had disappeared somewhere out of character she might have had a longer run. Too bad (for her)!
I was thinking the same thing. She had to be doing whatever would be considered super cool by her peers, even as a fugitive. Must have been torture that she couldn't instagram herself on her pura vida escape from justice.

I wonder how well she fit in, or did she give off a downer "I just murdered my love rival" vibe?

I was wondering whether someone at the yoga studio was suspicious of her and called in a tip?

Just speculation.

Yes, I do understand myself from experience that that sort of relationship situation can literally drive you crazy. :(

Being young, I saw, with my own eyes, a man who, at nigh was walking on the 4th-floor ledge of my apartment house; he eventually tried to open my window. His face was hard to describe. After years, I think, it was dissociation, no doubt, but, he never fell. So I can imagine KA being in some type of a semi-dissociative state of mind, sort of. This could explain getting on the camera, being uncautious, but of course, will never fly in court.

What makes me wonder is her timing. On May 13, the Marshals pick her up on 2018 arrest warrant, tell her that she can leave, but also...tell that her car was seen close to MW’s house. KA leaves and, naturally, is never seen in TX after May 13th.

She might be in NY, and is last seen in Liberty airport on May 18th the day after Austin police issues a homicide warrant for her arrest.

Question: does she know someone in Austin police? Some clerk, maybe, who advises her that there is a warrant? Or was it CS that communicated with her? It might have been a random coincidence, too, but…her timing is too good.

I think she knew about the warrant, hence all the theater with Liberty airport. JMO.

To catch her might be difficult, but she is not the only economical genius in this world. Rather than looking for one human on the planet, I’d try to cut off all financial streams to her, wherever she is, and follow that trace. The time for this is very good, in general. JMO.

He won't need a lawyer for murder, but he purchased the murder weapon knowing that his other girlfriend was off her head with jealousy.

"Strickland allegedly told authorities he purchased the alleged murder weapon for Armstrong." ...

"Investigators executed a search warrant at Armstrong’s home, which she shares with Strickland, and ultimately confirmed that one of the guns found in Armstrong’s home was the murder weapon: a Sig-Sauer P365 9mm, APD Homicide Det. Richard Spitler previously said."

To be honest, CS already has problems related to this situation. He worked hard to get endorsements, now, his sponsors are gone. I doubt his business will survive, either. But I honestly doubt he had any clue about KA planning to murder MW, and in TX, buying two guns for a man with clear record is not a crime. Sometimes people buy guns after a burglary in the neighborhood, for example. Personally, I think CS has a calculating mind, but I don't believe that he is involved in the murder. JMO.

To be honest, CS already has problems related to this situation. He worked hard to get endorsements, now, his sponsors are gone.
It sounds to me like his name will be mud among the cycling community for some time. I mean of course he didn't kill Mo but he may have been playing with fire and chickens came home to roost. I don't mean the cycling community would be mad at him for being a playa, but because Mo was very beloved it sounds like.
This is a completely different subject but I've read some entertaining posts about recreational coed softball leagues putting out memos at the beginning of the season asking the guys not to jump right in pumping and dumping the women early in the season, because that makes the women drop out and pretty soon they can't play if they don't have enough women. It was something to the effect of "hold off until later in the season before you guys alienate all the women on our team please"
Not that women can't be playas too, and ghost the guys...don't know how often that happens... trying to be equal-minded but I read that the whole "rec softball as a meat market" thing got so ridiculous they came out and put out memos about it.

And there is another, very rich person, who, at the pinnacle of his career, realized that he was immensely lucky, and is now trying hard to bridge the gap between the very rich and very poor by philanthropy.
I bet you're talking about Jared Polis...I completely respect him and long may he...well let's just clone him.

Second, I haven't read everything but am confused as to how she was caught. I feel like there is one narrative that suggests the Marshals thoroughly checked every yoga clinic in Costa Rica until they found a sign in sheet with her alias. The other narrative is that Costa Rica LE randomly stopped her at a resort (for what - to ask if she was wearing sunscreen?) and they then hit the jackpot when she eventually gave her real name despite being on a Most Wanted list. It all seems so bizarre and I can't quite make sense of it.
Snipped for focus and because my quote box won’t cooperate.

The violation is “immigration violation”, per the US Marshal. It’s a Costa Rica crime. Now she can be deported. Presumably, when she arrives in the US, boom, held for murder.

I'm not sure I buy the marshal's focus on the yoga theme as the big key. There are so many THOUSANDS of yoga studios in the universe, you still have a needle in a very large haystack.
Yoga is not just studio walls. Rather, it is the heart and mind of every individual practitioner. Through universal conciousness, yoga then reflects the universe.....

OK, faux mysticism aside, I am thinking the Marshal's emphasis on yoga being the key might have been a reference to the yoga's "total package" as applied to KA.

For example, KA's yoga interest was linked to Bali. Bali to KA's heart and mind probably meant beaches, surfing, sun, fitness, alternative health and plenty of like minded people. The two concepts of yoga and KA's Bali could well be intertwined to her.

As you pointed out, there could well be yoga studios in Irkutsk, Siberia and in Vicksburg, Mississippi. Neither of these two places, however, is going to have KA's total package of yoga.

The total package could be available in Hawaii, but that is in the US and 12k starting money goes fast there. Ditto for say, Venice Beach, CA, and South Beach, Florida.

Meanwhile, Santa Theresa, Cost Rica has KA' total yoga package, and is in a foreign, relatively low cost of living locale.

Last edited:
Being young, I saw, with my own eyes, a man who, at nigh was walking on the 4th-floor ledge of my apartment house; he eventually tried to open my window. His face was hard to describe. After years, I think, it was dissociation, no doubt, but, he never fell. So I can imagine KA being in some type of a semi-dissociative state of mind, sort of. This could explain getting on the camera, being uncautious, but of course, will never fly in court.
Snipped for focus

I don’t understand where dissociation comes in. Could you clarify?

Can we hire the Costa Rica Tourist police to run international airline security? All they had to do to catch her was to "ask for her papers"?
Probable cause varies from country to country. In the U.S. a warrant is required unless commission of a crime is in progress & even then there are protections for the accused.

We don't know many details about KA's detention in Costa Rica.

It was good luck that she was finally "caught" but extending the "asking for papers" into wider contexts is a human rights violation in many places, as it should be IMO.

The world should not become a police state just because some people commit crimes.

It is already trending that way with video surveillance, which is unconstitutional in many places & yet goes unchecked.

I get your point but it sends shivers up my spine. Freedom is a precious human right that must not be sacrificed by the majority because of the criminal propensities of the minority. Rant over.

MOO

Not illegal. Conceivably Mo’s family could sue him for buying the weapon, but I’d be shocked if they’d bother, or if any lawyer in Texas would take the case. CS appears to have no assets and the family’s chance of getting a jury to hold a man liable for purchasing a weapon for his girlfriend (who at the time had no criminal record for violence or reputation for violence) is probably pretty close to zero.

Authorities haven’t revealed how or when she obtained the passport. Former federal prosecutor John Teakell says both obtaining and using a passport fraudulently can lead to charges.

“If she used it as a form of identification, and to try to clear customs, each time she used it she could be charged as a separate count for that falsely, or improperly using a passport,” said Teakell.

Authorities believe she used the alias during her time in Costa Rica.

Yes. And another contradiction demonstrating (to me, at least) that her criminal actions are (in her mind) divorced from the purpose of meditation and yoga as a means of personal growth.

Maybe someone here who practices yoga can provide better insight. But I'm wondering what emotional/psychological defect makes a person think they can fully embrace personal improvement while on the run from a murder charge.

Is it all just a ruse?

MOO

I have practiced a lot of yoga and am also a qualified teacher. In my experience, the deeper you get into the 'scene' you can find some really big egos which is very contradictory to the philosophy in general.

There are usually two reasons people start yoga, firstly as a gentle form of exercise or secondly because that person is seeking a spiritual connection with life. One often leads on to the other.

Don't get me wrong, yoga is fantastic and brings joys and strength to many who practice. However I have been shocked over the years at how many 'high up' teachers I have met whose over inflated sense of self and core principles are very non yogic. It's big business and it really turned me away from it all.

I don't teach now, I just practice quietly, by myself. Hope that helps.

I have practiced a lot of yoga and am also a qualified teacher. In my experience, the deeper you get into the 'scene' you can find some really big egos which is very contradictory to the philosophy in general.

There are usually two reasons people start yoga, firstly as a gentle form of exercise or secondly because that person is seeking a spiritual connection with life. One often leads on to the other.

Don't get me wrong, yoga is fantastic and brings joys and strength to many who practice. However I have been shocked over the years at how many 'high up' teachers I have met whose over inflated sense of self and core principles are very non yogic. It's big business and it really turned me away from it all.

I don't teach now, I just practice quietly, by myself. Hope that helps.
Thanks. Very helpful to know — sadly, what you state is true, I’ve found over the years, in so many disciplines: Therapists, pastoral counselors, professors, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong