TX - Moriah Wilson, Cyclist Fatally Shot Before Race, Austin, #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not the impression I have from reading news updates. My impression is that the suspect and her boyfriend had a bit of a break. During that time he met the 25 year old cyclist. When Wilson was in Austin for a competition, she called Strickland. They had a swim and a burger, he was on his way home to his 35 year old girlfriend before 9 PM.

The murder suspect was so paranoid and insecure that she electronically followed her boyfriend when he went out. It sounds like she went completely nuts the night her boyfriend spent 3 hours with a cyclist friend he connected with while they were separated.

I think it is questionable that he bought the gun that she used to murder, but perhaps he didn't understand how unstable she was. I don't know when he bought the gun for his girlfriend - was it before, or after, their relationship break?
He bought the guns in late December or January, according to him, and their "break was, at least according to him, only a week or two break, in October.

ETA...KA either only found out about his dalliance with MW in January, OR she knew it before and found out in January that they were still interacting, or interacting again. That is when she allegedly told a friend that she wanted to kill MW

The US Marshal said she had been under surveillance, so there seems to have been some kind of cooperative attempt to gather evidence before they rounded her up.

@otto , are you saying KA might have had plastic surgery during the campground visit? Or more than once in CR?
I wonder whether she had plastic surgery on her nose when she was a high school student. Her nose looks out of alignment in post-high school photos.

I don't believe for a second that CS had a one week relationship. By his own admission in the affidavit, Mo thought they were still dating at one point and texted CS how she was confused and did he just want to be friends, and how he had shown up with KA who was supposedly his ex. And he just gave a lame, pathetic, "That was of me" etc.

I don't know what made KA kill - many, many women get cheated on or are the victim of a misleading, lying , who's pretending to be single when he's really still in the relationship. And don't go kill the rival. So yoga girl's got some major screws loose. And then to have the balls to fly on a passport that isn't hers, get cosmetic surgery, already get a job teaching yoga... I mean, I haven't even gotten to my pile of laundry yet and girl's got a new face and a new job.

But - sometimes it's easier said than done to just move on from the guy who cheated and lied to you. To say he's not worth it and move on. People see it that way from the outside, but when you're it in and you still have feelings, it's hurt, anger, jealousy, rage, heartache. I don't even think it's about dependent on him or not. Or maybe it's that attachment anxiety and the way CS played her, it's almost like it created an addiction in her brain. When he pulled away, she went into withdrawal, needed him more, etc. I honestly think it can be chemical. CS made this so much worse by lying, deceiving, misleading. I do think that is such a mindf*ck and causes major emotional damage. I even think it can be a complex betrayal trauma. It impacts and deregulates the whole nervous system.

That said, I don't think that's any defense or excuse for murder. I think she's batshit and had no excuse to take a life. No matter what. I do think the way he played them both and was still lying to KA that day about where he was and who he was with - I think that triggered whatever led her to do that. But again, lots of women find out about a partner's betrayal and don't snap and then casually jet off to Costa Rica to become a yoga teacher at the beach.

It is
I don't believe for a second that CS had a one week relationship. By his own admission in the affidavit, Mo thought they were still dating at one point and texted CS how she was confused and did he just want to be friends, and how he had shown up with KA who was supposedly his ex. And he just gave a lame, pathetic, "That was of me" etc.

I don't know what made KA kill - many, many women get cheated on or are the victim of a misleading, lying , who's pretending to be single when he's really still in the relationship. And don't go kill the rival. So yoga girl's got some major screws loose. And then to have the balls to fly on a passport that isn't hers, get cosmetic surgery, already get a job teaching yoga... I mean, I haven't even gotten to my pile of laundry yet and girl's got a new face and a new job.

But - sometimes it's easier said than done to just move on from the guy who cheated and lied to you. To say he's not worth it and move on. People see it that way from the outside, but when you're it in and you still have feelings, it's hurt, anger, jealousy, rage, heartache. I don't even think it's about dependent on him or not. Or maybe it's that attachment anxiety and the way CS played her, it's almost like it created an addiction in her brain. When he pulled away, she went into withdrawal, needed him more, etc. I honestly think it can be chemical. CS made this so much worse by lying, deceiving, misleading. I do think that is such a mindf*ck and causes major emotional damage. I even think it can be a complex betrayal trauma. It impacts and deregulates the whole nervous system.

That said, I don't think that's any defense or excuse for murder. I think she's batshit and had no excuse to take a life. No matter what. I do think the way he played them both and was still lying to KA that day about where he was and who he was with - I think that triggered whatever led her to do that. But again, lots of women find out about a partner's betrayal and don't snap and then casually jet off to Costa Rica to become a yoga teacher at the beach.

I have my idea about KA, but your guess is as good as mine. Little as I know about CS, from the police interview, it appears that sport-wise, he did not hold his “financial guru” in high esteem. And it might have not been meant to intentionally put her down. It is like…one spouse likes Victor Hugo or Maupassant, and the other one reads, too, but prefers Dilbert cartoons. They both “love reading”, but the partner doesn’t even fit into the local library book club. (Nothing against Dilbert, I like him).

In her sport, Mo stood higher than Colin; she was an ascending star. So, CS, who doesn’t want to bike with KA because she slows him down, suddenly, takes off with the best, “the winniest”, woman in his sport. I think this was the decisive thing hurting KA to no end. Otherwise, they could compete, but not in athletic prowess.

JMO - Colin probably had deeper feelings towards Mo than he is willing to admit. But since he wasn’t sure where it would lead with Mo, he was trying to sit in two chairs.

He bought the guns in late December or January, according to him, and their "break was, at least according to him, only a week or two break, in October.

ETA...KA either only found out about his dalliance with MW in January, OR she knew it before and found out in January that they were still interacting, or interacting again. That is when she allegedly told a friend that she wanted to kill MW
Thank you ... so they had a relationship break in October, he met the cyclist, he bought the gun at his girlfriend's request in Nov or Dec.

In January she told someone that she wanted to kill the woman he met when they took a break. In May, she shot that woman with gun she asked her boyfriend to buy.

Thank you ... so they had a relationship break in October, he met the cyclist, he bought the gun at his girlfriend's request in Nov or Dec.

In January she told someone that she wanted to kill the woman he met when they took a break. In May, she shot that woman with gun she asked her boyfriend to buy.
Just for my own satisfaction, I hope the trial determines the thruth about this supposed 1 week 'break' in their relationship. As tho they agreed: lets take a break from our 3 years together and pretend we're single and over each other and fancy free, but just for one week, mind". More likely, IMO, they had a fight, and didn't make up for a week...or he was on the road and she wasn't there.

JMO

She’s 5’8 tall, not exactly a petite woman, but very thin, yes. But it appears she has always maintained and thin and fit frame -even back in high school when she played sports. No doubt she’s running on adrenaline. You’d almost have to be after murdering someone and living on the run for 43 days. I don’t know if I would classify her as strong. She certainly didn’t display strength with her emotions when she followed Mo around and shot her multiple times, but she’s something alright. I hope they are watching her close as well.
Speaking of her frame it has crossed my mind that gaining weight might have been a better disguise for her than facial cosmetic work. I guess I’ll reserve judgement until there is a picture of her current visage out there.

Just for my own satisfaction, I hope the trial determines the thruth about this supposed 1 week 'break' in their relationship. As tho they agreed: lets take a break from our 3 years together and pretend we're single and over each other and fancy free, but just for one week, mind". More likely, IMO, they had a fight, and didn't make up for a week...or he was on the road and she wasn't there.

JMO
In The Sun interview though I took CS to be indicating that he ended the relationship with KA (vs a mutual break).

He exclusively told The Sun: "I had ended the relationship with Kaitlin and it was just interesting timing because Mo had come to Austin to visit a friend that exact week.

"It was completely unplanned and yeah, we started spending some time together.

"That was clearly expressed to Kaitlin at that time and Kaitlin dated other men directly after that.

"We were clearly going our separate ways but we just didn't get enough inertia to separate. Kaitlin and I were involved in several businesses together.

"Mo and I communicated about twice a month (after that) and I think it was skewed in a very misleading way in the affidavit."

I wonder whether she had plastic surgery on her nose when she was a high school student. Her nose looks out of alignment in post-high school photos.
That's what I think: she had prior surgery on her nose; also maybe around her eyes? I'm also thinking she might compulsively get engineered adjustments, like Jennifer Gray of Dirty Dancing, and that facial surgery in CR might be as much a matter of anxiety (with a customary—for her—outlet) as a way to disguise herself. Perhaps both could apply. She might also have thought of previous adjustments as transformative, which gave her the idea going forward.
Not everyone comes up with the idea to get cosmetic surgery when they're on the run—I know it wouldn't cross my mind—but if someone had a fixed idea that it could transform, then it might offer itself readily as a disguise.
So, I think there's likely context to the plastic surgery thing that has nothing to do with disguise or being on the lam. It's possible she's had prior experience with cosmetic surgery on other body parts as well.

Last edited:
@Mariposa : Speaking of her frame it has crossed my mind that gaining weight might have been a better disguise for her than facial cosmetic work. I guess I’ll reserve judgement until there is a picture of her current visage out there.

Perhaps she couldn't bear the thought of gaining weight, in the same way she couldn't bear the thought of doing something radical to her hair: heck, she could have gone bleach blonde and got a pixie-cut. In HS, she evidently was voted with "best hair", so perhaps she hung onto it for that reason.

Where's the evidence KA asked CS to purchase a gun or her or both of them? I thought her gun was a Christmas gift from him?

Calling MW a "friend" of CS isn't the full truth if he had a sexual relationship with her (during the supposed break or ongoing). It would make a difference to KA.

We only have the words of CS to confirm a short "breakup" in Oct. 2021. He is not the most reliable of truth tellers! And who are these men she supposedly started dating right away?

The ongoing analysis here of KA overlooks the relationship with CS was more than romantic - they worked together & probably had intertwined finances to some degree. Maybe he made financial promises to her that were perceived by her as threatening more than a loss of love.

Not attempting to justify KA's actions in any way. But context is important to her motivations.

I am impressed by her choice of a hairstyle that so successfully hides her face. Another action that demonstrates her guilt, I think. The running, the lying to CR authorities, the hiding in shame. She's about to mount an insanity "heat of passion" defense not an "I'm innocent" defense IMO.

My 2 cent musings only

In The Sun interview though I took CS to be indicating that he ended the relationship with KA (vs a mutual break).

He exclusively told The Sun: "I had ended the relationship with Kaitlin and it was just interesting timing because Mo had come to Austin to visit a friend that exact week.

"It was completely unplanned and yeah, we started spending some time together.

"That was clearly expressed to Kaitlin at that time and Kaitlin dated other men directly after that.

"We were clearly going our separate ways but we just didn't get enough inertia to separate. Kaitlin and I were involved in several businesses together.

"Mo and I communicated about twice a month (after that) and I think it was skewed in a very misleading way in the affidavit."

I believe that's called CYA in common parlance.

Not everyone comes up with the idea to get cosmetic surgery when they're on the run—I know it wouldn't cross my mind—but if someone had a fixed idea that it could transform, then it might offer itself readily as a disguise.
So, I think there's likely context to the plastic surgery thing that has nothing to do with disguise or being on the lam. It's possible she's had prior experience with cosmetic surgery on other body parts as well.
RSBBM

The plastic surgery consumed funds better spent on keeping food, clothing & shelter paid for.

It also has downsides to do such a procedure alone & potential complications requiring follow up so unless this was a regular practice of hers, I think "new life, new me" is more likely. She wanted to evade capture & thought this would help.

JMO

I don’t know much about gravel cycling, had to read about its history. It seems to be an exceptionally strenuous type of sport, and as I imagine, training takes a lot of time, so it is not like sitting for the whole day at the computer and sending texts. It could have been platonic after that 2021 short romance because both were elite athletes who lived in different cities and were actively training. Mo was established but young, and CS, as I have read, started gravel cycling at 20 and achieved success towards his 30es. It seems to be a very demanding type of sport; one does respect the hard labor it takes. I think for both, careers were important. JMO.

I bet the defense attorneys are going to smear both CS and Mo for having a relationship. And I can see a female juror having some sympathy for KA if they go down the “he cheated and lied to her, they were having an affair” route.
I gave a very brief overview of the case to my mum last night, whose immediate response was 'well you can see why she snapped'.

I would imagine that the build up will feature heavily in the trial communication is going to make interesting reading once text messages are published. The last one from CS to KA would just be the start.

It is such a sad case that she lost control of herself and let her anger, jealousy, and rage take over. She had an impressive background of achievements to be only 35 and seemed to not only be ambitious but a good entrepreneur. What she didn’t realize is no man is worth spending your life in jail! If her partner would do that to her, he was hiding an evil suspicious side of himself. He wasn’t the partner she deserved! I feel sorry for her, but know she must pay time for her illegal act of killing another person.

Speaking of her frame it has crossed my mind that gaining weight might have been a better disguise for her than facial cosmetic work. I guess I’ll reserve judgement until there is a picture of her current visage out there.
I like your style. Stress consuming wine and cake until she is unrecognizable. Unfortunately, I think she is too vain for that, which is why it would have been the perfect disguise. But god forbid anyone see her with a muffin top, as KA or CA or anyone else…

I think this whole case revolves around her extreme vanity.

“Mirror mirror on the wall, who is fairest (in CS’ eyes) of them all?”

“You but MW is definitely on the periphery.”

“Nooooooo! I am the fairest without compare. I’m gonna get her so I can still be A number 1.”

The Evil Queen liked to disguise herself as other people, too.

There are people feeling some sorry for her while an innocent woman is dead. And she had plenty of time to feel remorse and turn herself in but didn't. Now she is going to try to wriggle out of true justice with a fancy lawyer.

The families of victims must suffer so much in cases like this.

I wonder when she dyed and cut her hair—in NY or in Costa Rica? I also see what the US Marshal meant about her haircut being lopsided and wonder whether she did it herself or if CA helped. MOO.
Likely in NY before she went to Newark and used her sisters passport so she could match the photo better. I also think she cut it herself but angled on purpose so she could keep the front in her face to further disguise herself at airport, on plane, in Costa Rica. Hide her face with hair, masks and finally surgery.

There are people feeling some sorry for her while an innocent woman is dead. And she had plenty of time to feel remorse and turn herself in but didn't. Now she is going to try to wriggle out of true justice with a fancy lawyer.

The families of victims must suffer so much in cases like this.
I’m wracking my brain, trying to think of cases where someone got a high powered attorney and was still found guilty by a jury. Anybody know one?

Let’s hope the forensic evidence against her is very strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82