SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spent eight hours in car today alternating Murdaugh podcasts with Bluegrass and Sinatra. Plenty of time to think over Murdaugh stuff.

Something that doesn’t seem legit to me is AM being an opioid addict or any kind of addict. There are lots of other skeptics on this topic but one doubt I haven’t heard anyone discuss is AM’s miraculous “recovery” after six to eight weeks in-patient.

If AM really had an addiction, especially if it spanned decades, no way was he “cured” during the short time he went to rehab. Addiction recovery is a long struggle (often the rest of your life) — one tenant being “90 in 90,” the day after you leave rehab you start 90 AA or NA meetings everyday for 90 days and after that you continue to attend regularly. You “work” the Steps, you make connections with others in recovery for mutual support, and you get a sponsor, and possibly get into talk therapy.

Prisons do offer this type of support but in AM’s phone calls, he never refers to anything remotely related to his recovery journey. I would think in talking about the gambling for beef sticks, his exercise routine, his allowance, getting stranded in the buff, etc., he would mention going to NA or support meetings. (Unless somehow he’s getting his fix from fellow inmates and isn’t in recovery.)

I’ve never thought he had any real addiction because no one around him suspected — the rehab trip was a ruse to keep him out of jail and buy time — photos show his alcohol abuse but if he was in rehab for alcoholism, he would be going to AA and such.

I definitely think he’s been dangerously and deeply in the drug world (ref. indictments), but not an opioid addict.

Any thoughts?
Completely agree with your thinking.

I have been following this case since Maggie and Paul were found dead last June. I have learned all of the background of this family here and wherever the links have taken me. Unless I missed it, I have seen little information on LE investigating the MM and PM murders. IMHO, I believe AM is neck deep in these murders but has there been any other suspects?? or is this just taken a back seat to everything else going on with AM?? Has Maggie's family, siblings, etc ever spoken publicly? ~thanks

I have been following this case since Maggie and Paul were found dead last June. I have learned all of the background of this family here and wherever the links have taken me. Unless I missed it, I have seen little information on LE investigating the MM and PM murders. IMHO, I believe AM is neck deep in these murders but has there been any other suspects?? or is this just taken a back seat to everything else going on with AM?? Has Maggie's family, siblings, etc ever spoken publicly? ~thanks

The short answer is nothing. There is a cloud of secrecy around this that’s very thick and very unfair to citizens everywhere imo.

IMO, this case is a media three ring circus, which Maggie's friends and family want to keep her out of.

"None of what they’re saying is true,” Cordero told The Post. “And it’s nobody’s business, neither.” Secret life of Maggie Murdaugh, notorious murders’ forgotten victim

As for LE, of course they're investigating the murders and they, too, are just keeping their cards close to their chest. They wouldn't want to warn any suspects by naming them to the media.

JMO

The short answer is nothing. There is a cloud of secrecy around this that’s very thick and very unfair to citizens everywhere imo.
Do you think the reason their murders are taking a back seat is because SLED thinks with the evidence they have against AM in the PM/MM murders they can keep AM wanting to make a deal (length and location of jail sentence, protection) with authorities to open the Pandora's box and identify all in power )financial, political and possible LE) who have been actively corrupt for years?

I just can't figure why LE haven't arrested AM already for the PM/MM murders if they have blood evidence and broken time frame alibi(s)? What are they waiting for besides all the other case investigations generated by these murders? Is there just too much rich food on the plate?

If they were to arrest AM for the murders of MM and PM, I suspect that a lot of the alleged motive would rest in AM’s financial dealings. If they can build that case first (and even get a conviction), it may help bolster the murder case, especially if the evidence is heavier on the circumstantial side. Just MOO. I’m not sure of the technicalities of being able to bring other cases into a trial.

Last edited:
Do you think the reason their murders are taking a back seat is because SLED thinks with the evidence they have against AM in the PM/MM murders they can keep AM wanting to make a deal (length and location of jail sentence, protection) with authorities to open the Pandora's box and identify all in power )financial, political and possible LE) who have been actively corrupt for years?

I just can't figure why LE haven't arrested AM already for the PM/MM murders if they have blood evidence and broken time frame alibi(s)? What are they waiting for besides all the other case investigations generated by these murders? Is there just too much rich food on the plate?

They have him cornered with these finance crimes. If they had anything solid connecting him to the murders I think they would have charged him. I don’t see this as some 5-D chess by the masterminds with SC law enforcement since they have had this man in custody for going on a year now and with all this money crime accounting, still can’t seem to push him to talk. There’s been no shortage with time and effort spent looking into Alex Murdaugh, from LE, media, to the public. With the “no threat” confusion and just the violence involved, it’s past the point where LE owes these people an explanation of what’s going on here.

It occurs to me that maybe SLED doesn't think they can get a jury pool who will look at the evidence of the murders of MM and PM beyond a reasonable doubt and bring a true verdict based on evidence presented. Whereas, the evidence of the financial crimes are on computers in hard copy and much harder to refute by the defense. Maybe they want to get him behind bars for 75 years on those charges first. MOO MOO MOO MOO

It occurs to me that maybe SLED doesn't think they can get a jury pool who will look at the evidence of the murders of MM and PM beyond a reasonable doubt and bring a true verdict based on evidence presented. Whereas, the evidence of the financial crimes are on computers in hard copy and much harder to refute by the defense. Maybe they want to get him behind bars for 75 years on those charges first. MOO MOO MOO MOO

I fear that LE may be thinking that way given the history of their actions in other investigations but luckily we have heard that the feds are involved here so hopefully there is some oversight. Subbing heavy punishment for a bunch of nonviolent financial crimes would make a joke of the idea with justice for these murder victims.

IMO, it is only in the media that the murders are 'taking a back seat'. The media are just like a bunch of strangers standing outside a building, gossiping about the bits and pieces they've learned. They have no idea what is going on inside that building, ie the edifice of law enforcement, where detectives just coming to work every day and do their job.

IMO, what has been feeding the news frenzy is primarily the lawyers for people who want to sue AM. They have all the inside gossip from the law community and are sharing it with Fitsnews. But they don't have inside info on LE.

JMO

They have him cornered with these finance crimes. If they had anything solid connecting him to the murders I think they would have charged him. I don’t see this as some 5-D chess by the masterminds with SC law enforcement since they have had this man in custody for going on a year now and with all this money crime accounting, still can’t seem to push him to talk. There’s been no shortage with time and effort spent looking into Alex Murdaugh, from LE, media, to the public. With the “no threat” confusion and just the violence involved, it’s past the point where LE owes these people an explanation of what’s going on here.
They have blood spray-back evidence on him, evidence of MM being asked to come to the Moselle property that night and I believe a strong question of motive if proven MM was seeking a divorce. I honestly think that might have set the whole thing in motion. I believe it's possible whomever MM went to, it got back to AM and he saw what a mess that would uncover if allowed to happen. Being separated, living apart but there being a chance of reconciliation is greatly different than hiring a divorce lawyer and setting things in motion (forensic accounting).

PM having the presence of AM and MM together that night on video at a certain time would seem to have sealed it. MM being found face down, shot from behind signals probable fleeing or at the very least dismissal/end of conversation/interaction she was having before her death.

Why do you think SLED doesn't arrest AM for the murders of PM and MM? With what we now know...I just don't understand it unless it's a what can you do for us with ALL this other corruption stuff?
AJMO

IMO, it is only in the media that the murders are 'taking a back seat'. The media are just like a bunch of strangers standing outside a building, gossiping about the bits and pieces they've learned. They have no idea what is going on inside that building, ie the edifice of law enforcement, where detectives just coming to work every day and do their job.

IMO, what has been feeding the news frenzy is primarily the lawyers for people who want to sue AM. They have all the inside gossip from the law community and are sharing it with Fitsnews. But they don't have inside info on LE.

JMO
I think those lawyers are for sure feeding the media, they always do their spinning but some in the media do cultivate insiders in LE as sources, some very trusted sources...IMO

Once you are arrested and charged for a crime, a clock starts ticking for a Constitutional speedy trial.
Even if the defense waives that right, there are still limits on how long to get to trial.
Relax, Remember the Rhoden Murders? The cops and the Prosecution were patient and gathered their evidence and 2 of the 4 defendants have plead to guilty charges. I think they have the goods on Alex, but they know that he is the key to even bigger fish. I hope they watch him closer than they did Epstein.

Once you are arrested and charged for a crime, a clock starts ticking for a Constitutional speedy trial.
Even if the defense waives that right, there are still limits on how long to get to trial.
Relax, Remember the Rhoden Murders? The cops and the Prosecution were patient and gathered their evidence and 2 of the 4 defendants have plead to guilty charges. I think they have the goods on Alex, but they know that he is the key to even bigger fish. I hope they watch him closer than they did Epstein.

I hope this is the correct answer but the clock is ticking and that can’t be discounted given the level of mistrust that already exists around this case. One has to wonder if it is indeed real that LE is just crossing Ts with this in the bag of if that is just the perception that they are happy to let linger over this as it fades to memory.

The biggest mystery to me is how they so quickly said there was no threat to the public. Somebody had to know exactly who killed them.

If the killer isn’t in jail or dead then the person(s) would have to be free. This notion that they “knew” it was AM doesn’t make sense given that he remained free.

In reference to Wilson and AM on the phone.
This from june 6

However, several months later in an exclusive interview with Fox Carolina’s Cody Alcorn, Griffin went on the record for the first time about where Alex was on June 7, 2021.

“I can assure you that we have Alex’s whereabouts accounted for completely at that time,” Murdaugh’s attorney Jim Griffin told Fox Carolina in October 2021. “That night? He’s sitting on the bedside of his mother at her house when the coroner says the murders happened. She has dementia. There’s a house sitter, caregiver … with him and they’re watching a gameshow on television.”

During that interview, Griffin mentioned that Alex spoke to “one of his friends and communicated about business” on the way over to his mother’s home, which is about 20 minutes from Moselle. Griffin also said that Alex called his father who was in the hospital during that time period as well.

Griffin didn’t identify the “friend” to whom Alex spoke — and he didn’t go into any further details about Alex’s alibi publicly for more than six months.

After several months of near silence from the Murdaugh camp, Griffin spoke out about Alex Murdaugh’s alibi again in the State Newspaper this May.

Griffin identified Chris Wilson as the “friend” Alex had spoken with that night — and said that Wilson would likely testify on Alex’s behalf. Griffin intimated that Wilson had said Alex’s tone was “absolutely normal” when they spoke.

For the first time, Griffin seemed to be putting on the public record that Alex was at Moselle at 9 p.m. … which means Alex would have seen Maggie and Paul shortly before they were killed.

Griffin also said that Alex drove to his mother’s house at 9 p.m., got to her house at 9:20 p.m., stayed for 20 minutes and then turned around and drove back to arrive at Moselle at 10 p.m.

During that time, Griffin said, Alex called Chris Wilson four times — twice on the way there and twice on the way back.
….

I missed this article.

I find it odd that AM would drive 20 minutes to get there and 20 minutes back yet only spend 20 minutes there. Why didn’t he just stop on the way back from hospital.

Jmo
Can anyone on here shed light on how a coroner determines TOD? Putting Alex at Moselle at 9:00 PM says MM and PM were killed between 9:00 pm and 10:00 pm calls into question how a TOD was determined. Right now all we have is Alex's word he saw them alive at 9pm and dead at 10pm.

I read liver temperature is one way but it can vary by as much as 3 hours. Ergo MM and PM could have died anywhere from 6pm to arrival of police.

Anyone?

JMO

Last edited:
“I can assure you that we have Alex’s whereabouts accounted for completely at that time,” Murdaugh’s attorney Jim Griffin told Fox Carolina in October 2021. “That night? He’s sitting on the bedside of his mother at her house when the coroner says the murders happened. She has dementia. There’s a house sitter, caregiver … with him and they’re watching a gameshow on television.”
It seems to me that the caregiver gives him an airtight alibi, so how come LE isn't saying so?
Is the caregiver scared or can't risk losing their job or has been paid off? This makes no sense. MOO MOO MOO
It may not be airtight. My younger brother died in his sleep at age 49. His wife found him when the alarm woke her at 5am. There was an automatic autopsy triggered since he died at home and had not been to the Dr. in over 6 months. Cause of death was massive cardiac event (massive heart attack in layman's terms) triggered by IMO a ruptured aorta which the autopsy revealed. TOD was placed between 11 pm when his wife reported he came to bed after watching a TV show and 5am when the alarm woke her and she found him. That was a 6 hour span.

Seems to me TOD for MM and PM is being based solely on Alex's story that he saw them alive at 9pm and dead at 10pm just like my brothers TOD was based on his wife's account of when she last knew he was alive and when she woke to find him dead. Except in Alex's story we have two homicides and his own and others admission he was at the scene (Moselle) at the earliest TOD and the latest TOD.

I completely believe my SIL's story but Alex's story, absolutely not.

Anyone on here know how the coroner determines TOD?

JMO

Last edited:
In reference to Wilson and AM on the phone.
This from june 6

However, several months later in an exclusive interview with Fox Carolina’s Cody Alcorn, Griffin went on the record for the first time about where Alex was on June 7, 2021.

During that interview, Griffin mentioned that Alex spoke to “one of his friends and communicated about business” on the way over to his mother’s home, which is about 20 minutes from Moselle. Griffin also said that Alex called his father who was in the hospital during that time period as well.

Griffin didn’t identify the “friend” to whom Alex spoke — and he didn’t go into any further details about Alex’s alibi publicly for more than six months.

After several months of near silence from the Murdaugh camp, Griffin spoke out about Alex Murdaugh’s alibi again in the State Newspaper this May.

Griffin identified Chris Wilson as the “friend” Alex had spoken with that night — and said that Wilson would likely testify on Alex’s behalf. Griffin intimated that Wilson had said Alex’s tone was “absolutely normal” when they spoke.

For the first time, Griffin seemed to be putting on the public record that Alex was at Moselle at 9 p.m. … which means Alex would have seen Maggie and Paul shortly before they were killed.

Griffin also said that Alex drove to his mother’s house at 9 p.m., got to her house at 9:20 p.m., stayed for 20 minutes and then turned around and drove back to arrive at Moselle at 10 p.m.

During that time, Griffin said, Alex called Chris Wilson four times — twice on the way there and twice on the way back.
….

I missed this article.

I find it odd that AM would drive 20 minutes to get there and 20 minutes back yet only spend 20 minutes there. Why didn’t he just stop on the way back from hospital.

Jmo
….

And the phone calls went this way

Phone call number one :
Alex: "blah, blah, blah"
Wilson: "deny"

Phone call number two:
Alex: "but blah, blah blah"
Wilson: "deny"

Phone call number three:
Alex: "But blah, blah, blah"
Wilson "deny and act upset."

Phone call number four: