Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Real British fish and chips - food for the gods :) There are some decent fish and chips purveyors closer to home, but those that we enjoyed while touring the UK were simply divine.
They're not going to win any healthy eating awards but when you are in the mood, you cant beat it. Tonight's were perfect.

You know the thing we all really like to do here, is when we go to the coast to get a tray of chips. Salt and vinegar. A little wooden fork. Then sit on the quayside fighting seagulls and our "bracing" winds! They taste the best

Happy 4th of July weekend! We have a busy one with no food or recipes to post for you all. Tonight we are going to Pine Knob to see Jack Johnson. For those unfamiliar, Pine Knob is an outdoor concert venue in Clarkston, MI. They have a big hill for lawn seating and a pavilion as well. We bought the upgraded pavilion seats. To keep on topic dinner will be a couple of beers and subs, tailgating in the park of lot with the other fans.
Tomorrow we are meeting friends in Ann Arbor at a little vegan restaurant.
On the 4th we are going to see the Detroit tigers at Comerica Park. We will enjoy dinner at one of the many restaurants downtown. Our go to is the Detroit Beer Company.
Love Jack Johnson.

Food prepping underway here. Yesterday I made bacon and gluten free chocolate chip cookies. I baked off some and froze the rest of the dough. Lots of bacon left for salads and sandwiches.

This morning I assembled two breakfast casseroles. One with bacon for the meat and one with turkey sausage. Otherwise they both have tater tot crust, eggs, Colby Jack cheese, scallions, garlic, spinach and tomato.

I used 8 medium eggs and 1 large egg for one. The other has 10 large eggs because it’s a bigger dish.

My oldest is going offshore Tue-Thu and has to provide her own meals. This particular boat doesn’t have a chef, just a fridge, freeze and microwave. Home cooking is the best!

Attachments

• 90CB3EF8-1E5E-4FA1-BAB8-9D8DE7C84E6E.jpeg
    90CB3EF8-1E5E-4FA1-BAB8-9D8DE7C84E6E.jpeg
    133.1 KB · Views: 17
  • DC8B61DC-572E-402E-9031-EDBD216DD3B8.jpeg
    DC8B61DC-572E-402E-9031-EDBD216DD3B8.jpeg
    119.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 1500EAC3-49EB-4D7E-8CAB-F0D6BAB696B5.jpeg
    1500EAC3-49EB-4D7E-8CAB-F0D6BAB696B5.jpeg
    102.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 7515518C-2A08-40E9-8769-E6DA3F23AFB2.jpeg
    7515518C-2A08-40E9-8769-E6DA3F23AFB2.jpeg
    119.7 KB · Views: 17
Food prepping underway here. Yesterday I made bacon and gluten free chocolate chip cookies. I baked off some and froze the rest of the dough. Lots of bacon left for salads and sandwiches.

This morning I assembled two breakfast casseroles. One with bacon for the meat and one with turkey sausage. Otherwise they both have tater tot crust, eggs, Colby Jack cheese, scallions, garlic, spinach and tomato.

I used 8 medium eggs and 1 large egg for one. The other has 10 large eggs because it’s a bigger dish.

My oldest is going offshore Tue-Thu and has to provide her own meals. This particular boat doesn’t have a chef, just a fridge, freeze and microwave. Home cooking is the best!
You should start your own catering business! You obviously enjoy meal prep and cooking. You also run a well-organized kitchen and are good at multi-tasking. I'm sure your daughters appreciate your fine efforts.

This recipe is similar to what I'll be making for our July 4 dinner. We don't like chicken skin and will use boneless, skinless breasts pounded so they can be stuffed and rolled. I'll assemble them later today so they set overnight. The stuffed chicken rolls turn out nicely on the grill. I've made this many times, and it's delicious.

Last edited:
Cooking session 2 for today. I had 3 small overripe bananas. I made banana bread and tossed in some fresh diced strawberries too. I was worried there wasn’t enough banana. Anyway, it made 9 mini loaves and it’s tasty!

I cut open the 3 tiny squashes I was able to get from my garden. They all look too young and pale. But rather than toss them, they’re baking. The big acorn squash I got at the store. I drizzled olive oil then put salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and Thyme on them. Hopefully they’ll be edible. If not, we will each have 1/2 an acorn squash for a meal this week.

Attachments

• ADE27412-B67A-47F3-8E4A-B99E7ECE113F.jpeg
    ADE27412-B67A-47F3-8E4A-B99E7ECE113F.jpeg
    145.8 KB · Views: 5
  • FE55DA1D-127C-478A-AF5C-358C8F2FCFEE.jpeg
    FE55DA1D-127C-478A-AF5C-358C8F2FCFEE.jpeg
    119.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 982BF94A-683F-4B15-A3E8-D87C6C9AA676.jpeg
    982BF94A-683F-4B15-A3E8-D87C6C9AA676.jpeg
    113.4 KB · Views: 4
  • CB913862-3AF2-43D9-9C78-9B408252135D.jpeg
    CB913862-3AF2-43D9-9C78-9B408252135D.jpeg
    111.7 KB · Views: 5
We’re a bit lighter here tonight after yesterday’s fish and chips.

Feta, pea, mint and spring onion “crustless quiche”(aka baked omelette) with a cashew nut salad on the side. And a glass of white. Cheers to your Fourth of July holiday tomorrow.

And cooking session 3 was making queso which turned out pretty good. It called for mild cheddar cheese but I used sharp cheddar cheese. I didn’t add peppers but did add white powdered pepper. I didn’t put the tomatoes in the queso but added them on top when served. It thickens as it cools and would be good over enchiladas, over nachos, or dip pretzels in.

Dinner was baked salmon, rice and black beans. I’m full and my feet are done! Kiddo is in charge of cleaning tonight.

Attachments

• 0011FD66-721B-444D-8517-814AA2739786.jpeg
    0011FD66-721B-444D-8517-814AA2739786.jpeg
    114 KB · Views: 20
  • 63076A62-55A1-4709-A987-9AD098F17640.jpeg
    63076A62-55A1-4709-A987-9AD098F17640.jpeg
    110.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 78EDBC58-7272-491E-A878-3810D206F216.jpeg
    78EDBC58-7272-491E-A878-3810D206F216.jpeg
    109.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 2EF0D900-C2EA-42F7-B176-74EA678E2F11.jpeg
    2EF0D900-C2EA-42F7-B176-74EA678E2F11.jpeg
    103.5 KB · Views: 19
And cooking session 3 was making queso which turned out pretty good. It called for mild cheddar cheese but I used sharp cheddar cheese. I didn’t add peppers but did add white powdered pepper. I didn’t put the tomatoes in the queso but added them on top when served. It thickens as it cools and would be good over enchiladas, over nachos, or dip pretzels in.

Dinner was baked salmon, rice and black beans. I’m full and my feet are done! Kiddo is in charge of cleaning tonight.

You got a lot done with your cooking sessions! Your dinner looks great. I love all your photos.

You should start your own catering business! You obviously enjoy meal prep and cooking. You also run a well-organized kitchen and are good at multi-tasking. I'm sure your daughters appreciate your fine efforts.
My oldest was telling me tonight of a coworker who eats nothing but fast food. She said it was difficult for her to believe he did not cook at all. She is continually surprised at adults her age (29) that have no idea how to cook. I told her not every Mom/Dad cooks from scratch. It's a good thing I knew how long before the girls came along.

This recipe is similar to what I'll be making for our July 4 dinner. We don't like chicken skin and will use boneless, skinless breasts pounded so they can be stuffed and rolled. I'll assemble them later today so they set overnight. The stuffed chicken rolls turn out nicely on the grill. I've made this many times, and it's delicious.

I'm not a fan of goat cheese but I am thinking it would be good with feta cheese, a little chopped spinach and the tomatoes. I bet they'd be good on the grill too.

I'm not a fan of goat cheese but I am thinking it would be good with feta cheese, a little chopped spinach and the tomatoes. I bet they'd be good on the grill too.
I've done the feta, sundried tomatoes, and spinach combination in many recipes: turkey meatloaf, turkey meatballs, chicken breasts, etc. Feta and goat cheese have a similar tangy flavor, but goat cheese melts better. Either way, delicious flavor profiles. The chicken rolls that I assembled yesterday are nicely set after chilling overnight. They turn out well on aluminum foil on the grill. We'll enjoy them with grilled Michigan zucchini.

Holidays often have deep meaning to those who celebrate them ... except those days like National Chair Day or whatever, which I’m sure exists.

As important as the meaning behind a holiday is the food present when celebrating it. And on the Fourth of July, a good backyard spread is essential.

Barbecue side dishes can vary greatly from state to state. That is especially true in a new dataset collected by Time2play, which analyzed Google searches to determine the most popular Fourth of July foods in every state.

Here’s what they found...

Holidays often have deep meaning to those who celebrate them ... except those days like National Chair Day or whatever, which I’m sure exists.

As important as the meaning behind a holiday is the food present when celebrating it. And on the Fourth of July, a good backyard spread is essential.

Barbecue side dishes can vary greatly from state to state. That is especially true in a new dataset collected by Time2play, which analyzed Google searches to determine the most popular Fourth of July foods in every state.

Buffalo Chicken Dip for FL??? That’s just weird.

Deviled eggs?!? For a cookout in 95 degree weather? No way have we ever fixed that for the Fourth. No potato salad either.
Nothing with mayo in the heat!

Hot dogs/Hamburgers/homemade ice cream is the usual cookout fare.

My oldest was telling me tonight of a coworker who eats nothing but fast food. She said it was difficult for her to believe he did not cook at all. She is continually surprised at adults her age (29) that have no idea how to cook. I told her not every Mom/Dad cooks from scratch. It's a good thing I knew how long before the girls came along.
Quite a few of the younger people I have worked with never cook at all. They call their husbands or wives before heading home to discuss whether they should pick up Chinese, burgers, Chipotle, etc. or order pizza.

They bring their breakfast to work with them, usually McDonald’s or Chick-Fil-A. Then they DoorDash lunch from Applebee's, Chili’s, etc.

Hi everyone, I just found the new thread! I just made a really yummy ham and mushroom omelette for my lunch, tried to attach pic but its too large, but it really was awesome! Im not a big mushroom fan but with the ham, it was a really tasty combo. I'm cooking less these days as on this 5.2 diet. But I see the enchilladas upthread and that can only mean one thing, I shall have to make them soon too!

How did you find the margaritas HK? I tried to make them at home once, but oh I dont know what I did wrong, but I didnt like them! I really fancied it, as the recipe didnt seem too sweet as most cocktails are. But they werent for me. I used to LOVE Mohitos - that was until I seen a bartender actually making one in front of me! The amount of sugar that went in! It has put me off for life!

Deviled eggs?!? For a cookout in 95 degree weather? No way have we ever fixed that for the Fourth. No potato salad either.
Nothing with mayo in the heat!

Hot dogs/Hamburgers/homemade ice cream is the usual cookout fare.
Here in Indiana you will usually find deviled eggs, potato salad, and macaroni salad on the menu.

My friends and I usually get together on a patio, deck,or backyard and we keep the cold foods in the refrigerator except when we are serving.

When we go camping we have a couple of portable refrigerators, and I have a cooler that plugs into my car when we go on picnics or to sporting events.

Hi everyone, I just found the new thread! I just made a really yummy ham and mushroom omelette for my lunch, tried to attach pic but its too large, but it really was awesome! Im not a big mushroom fan but with the ham, it was a really tasty combo. I'm cooking less these days as on this 5.2 diet. But I see the enchilladas upthread and that can only mean one thing, I shall have to make them soon too!

How did you find the margaritas HK? I tried to make them at home once, but oh I dont know what I did wrong, but I didnt like them! I really fancied it, as the recipe didnt seem too sweet as most cocktails are. But they werent for me. I used to LOVE Mohitos - that was until I seen a bartender actually making one in front of me! The amount of sugar that went in! It has put me off for life!
I do love an omelette.

I didn’t make them. I did my online weekly shop and once again it seemed so expensive, I edited it and removed some non essentials. So the tequila and Cointreau were taken out :confused: I kept the wine in though!

Quite a few of the younger people I have worked with never cook at all. They call their husbands or wives before heading home to discuss whether they should pick up Chinese, burgers, Chipotle, etc. or order pizza.

They bring their breakfast to work with them, usually McDonald’s or Chick-Fil-A. Then they DoorDash lunch from Applebee's, Chili’s, etc.
The cost of all that convenience has to be astronomical, especially now.

Due to my youngest kiddo's severe food allergies, I had converted a ton of recipes and taught her to make them. So when she ventured out on her own, every single roommate over the past 5 years, was literally shocked at what she made from scratch. It is as if they had no idea where food came from, how to cook it, how to meal plan, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken