IL - July 4 Parade, Highland Park, at least 6 fatally shot, 4 July 2022 *son charged, dad guilty*

A former LE commentator on the news tonight said that LE can commit someone involuntarily for a mental health evaluation if they are deemed a threat to themselves or to others. I think this certainly would have applied in this situation, from what we know, since he was threatening to kill everybody and LE took the knives and sword from him. That was in September 2019. In April 2019, he was threatening suicide. That was another opportunity to have him committed involuntary for a mental health evaluation since he was a threat to himself. Not sure why that was never done.
But his family declined to press charges or action in either case. What other power did LE have?
Sadly, hindsight is always 20/20

Last edited:
But his family declined to press charges or action in either case. What other power did LE have?
Sadly, hindsight is always 20/20
Well, that's the problem, isn't it? Given his issues, he should have been red-flagged so he couldn't go out and purchase assault weapons. If police presently don't have the right to do so, then you need to get laws changed so they have that right. It's just plain old common sense. It's not hindsight now; it's foresight, because you know it will happen over and over and over again if you don't correct this.

Possibility that it may be in reference to President "47"??

There are photos of him with a Trump campaign flag, mentions of the symbol being a European far right nexus, suggestion of a possibility of the "WP" in the video refrring to 'white power". If that holds to be factual as the investigation evolves, perhaps the 47 is merely an expression of his hopes to see Trump return in 2024?

Weird though with a friend of his (linked by someone earlier) having described him as quiet and apolitical.

Time will tell I suppose as to the imagery he has utilized.

I do want to add that "hate" is not a mental illness and, at the end of the day, some people are just hateful. <modsnip>
We've only had 46 presidents.

From the article.

There was trouble brewing well before Robert Crimo massacred people. I would not be surprised if he is an injustice collector or grudge hoarder. Something we have seen with Bath, Pacific Southwest Airlines Flight 1771, Columbine, Virginia Tech, Sandy Hook, Isla Vista, Parkland, Santa Fe, Uvalde, Las Vegas, Orlando, Oklahoma City, and 9/11.
Don't forget every US Postal Service shooting has been over grudges and injustice collecting as well.

In my opinion, if father took responsibility as a sponsor for the gun to be bought by his under 21 son, he should be prosecuted.

Because, what is the point of this sponsorship?

It is meant as a safety measure, no?

Just going to post that.

The state police said Tuesday evening that Highland Park police filed a “clear and present danger” report based on the incident; the report said Crimo told police officers he did not feel like harming himself or others. The report also said Crimo’s father told officers the knives belonged to him and were being stored in his son’s closet for safekeeping, state police said in a statement. Highland Park police returned the weapons to the elder Crimo the same day, state police said.

A state police spokeswoman said that when the September 2019 incident occurred, Crimo did not have a firearm owner’s identification card or a pending application for one. In December of that year, when Crimo was 19, he applied for a card, the state police said in a statement. He was under 21, the agency said, and his father sponsored the application. When the application was reviewed in January 2020, “there was insufficient basis to establish a clear and present danger and deny” his application, the agency said.

Rabbi Yosef Schanowitz said he recognized Crimo from an encounter in April in which he asked him to leave the Synagogue, according to the Times of Israel.

"I approached him and sternly asked him to leave as I noticed he was not a member of our community,” Schanowitz said.

Martin Blumenthal, the volunteer security director at the synagogue, said in an interview with Forward that Crimo stood out and appeared to have malicious intent when he visited in April.

“He was definitely sizing up the synagogue,” Blumenthal said.

Just going to post that.

The state police said Tuesday evening that Highland Park police filed a “clear and present danger” report based on the incident; the report said Crimo told police officers he did not feel like harming himself or others. The report also said Crimo’s father told officers the knives belonged to him and were being stored in his son’s closet for safekeeping, state police said in a statement. Highland Park police returned the weapons to the elder Crimo the same day, state police said.

A state police spokeswoman said that when the September 2019 incident occurred, Crimo did not have a firearm owner’s identification card or a pending application for one. In December of that year, when Crimo was 19, he applied for a card, the state police said in a statement. He was under 21, the agency said, and his father sponsored the application. When the application was reviewed in January 2020, “there was insufficient basis to establish a clear and present danger and deny” his application, the agency said.
If this is the case, the father should absolutely be charged . Telling the cops that all the knives were his and then sponsoring his FOID is completely ignoring every red flag his son had shown and set the table for this to happen.

Crimo allegedly left the gun at the scene, and Covelli said investigators were seeking a female witness who may have seen Crimo dropping a red blanket in an alley, and urged the woman to contact authorities. Covelli later said that the blanket held the high-powered rifle used in the shooting. Crimo walked from the scene to his mother’s home nearby, Covelli said.

At the time the FOID card was issued in January 2020, allowing Crimo to legally purchase weapons, “there was insufficient basis to establish a clear and present danger and deny the FOID application,” according to the State Police.

Covelli said that Crimo had purchased as many as five weapons, including the AR-15-style rifle that was allegedly used in the attack, legally from dealers in the Chicago area in 2020 or 2021. A second, high-powered rifle was in Crimo’s car at the time of his arrest.

Crimo is talking to investigators, Covelli said.

I can't read it, as it doesn't open here in Europe, but the 1st sentence that the parents "were completely in the dark" is sufficient for me to get the gist of this report.

As his uncle's statement that the shooter lived in "apartment", while, in fact, it looked like a garden shed.

Oh well...
Words are cheap as some say.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong