GUILTY Germany - Woman, 95, Indicted on 10,000 Counts, Accessory to Murder, 1943-1945 Nazi Camp, 5 Feb 2021

bocal.gif
up - if anyone sees anything "new" on this case. I'm still getting old articles.

TIA if you find something! :)

The latest article I could find is for April 8, 2022 - but it just mentions she is on trial - nothing else.

April 8, 2022
Irmgard Furchner, the first woman to be put on trial for Nazi crimes in decades, was secretary to a camp commander in 1943–45 and is accused of being accessory to more than 10,000 systematic murders. She is on trial in Itzehoe. Her lawyer, Wolf Molkentin, says Furchner, who was 18 at the time, was not aware of the true nature of what went on.

@ZaZara - do you have any better luck then me in finding something more current? TIA!!

The latest article I could find is for April 8, 2022 - but it just mentions she is on trial - nothing else.

April 8, 2022
Irmgard Furchner, the first woman to be put on trial for Nazi crimes in decades, was secretary to a camp commander in 1943–45 and is accused of being accessory to more than 10,000 systematic murders. She is on trial in Itzehoe. Her lawyer, Wolf Molkentin, says Furchner, who was 18 at the time, was not aware of the true nature of what went on.

@ZaZara - do you have any better luck then me in finding something more current? TIA!!

The trial was interrupted for 8 weeks because she was ill.
The latest that I can find is that the trial has resumed and they had to stop after 2 hours because both the defendant (96) and the witness (95) were exhausted. This was one June 7.

Germany at its very best!

The trial was interrupted for 8 weeks because she was ill.
The latest that I can find is that the trial has resumed and they had to stop after 2 hours because both the defendant (96) and the witness (95) were exhausted. This was one June 7.

Germany at its very best!

Ah - thanks for that info! Much appreciated - and I shall update my notes. :)

Monday, June 13th thru Friday, June 17th:
*Trial continues (June 13-17) (@ am CET) - Germany - *Irmgard Furchner (18 @ time of crime/95/now 96) Indicted (Feb. 5, 2021) on 10,000 counts of accessory to murder in Nazi Camp. Furchner is accused of having contributed as an 18-year-old to the murder of 11,412 people when she worked as a secretary, stenographer & typist to SS commandant Paul Werner Hoppe & would have had a hand in transport lists of detainees due to be sent to Auschwitz for execution, the dictation of Hoppe’s orders, radio messages & his correspondence at the Stutthof concentration camp between 1943 & 1945.
Trial began on Oct. 19, 2021. Trial is scheduled to continue over the next few months. Sessions are limited to about two hours a day, based on medical advice.
After trying to escape the trial in late September, leaving the retirement home in Quickborn where she lives & traveling by taxi to the outskirts of Hamburg, she was arrested several hours later & placed in police custody for five days before being fitted with an electronic wrist tag.

Case & court info from Feb. 5, 2021 to Sept. 29, 2021 & trial days 1-48 (Oct. 19, 2021-Dec. 24, 2021) reference post #120 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...-1943-1945-nazi-camp-5-feb-2021.558586/page-6

12/14/21 Trial Day 9 Update: Speaking during the trial via videolink from the US, Asia Shindelman described the horrors she witnessed at Stutthof camp in Nazi-occupied Danzig, now in Poland. Tuesday was the ninth day of Furchner's trial, which continues.
Dec. 27, 2021 Monday, Trial Day no idea! (LOL) No info available. Trial continues on Dec. 28th to Friday, Dec. 31, 2021.
Will start posting this only weekly on Mondays since no news outlets are giving updates on trial unless there are some developments in case.

6/7/22 Trial Update: The trial was interrupted for 8 weeks because she was ill. The latest is that the trial has resumed & they had to stop after 2 hours because both the defendant (96) & the witness (95) were exhausted. This was on June 7, 2022. Trial continues on June 13, 2022.

@Niner

German prosecutors called Tuesday for a 97-year-old woman who was the secretary to the SS commander of the Stutthof concentration camp to be convicted as an accessory to murder and given a two-year suspended sentence.

@Niner

German prosecutors called Tuesday for a 97-year-old woman who was the secretary to the SS commander of the Stutthof concentration camp to be convicted as an accessory to murder and given a two-year suspended sentence.

and from the article:

Furchner is being tried in juvenile court because she was under 21 at the time of the alleged crimes. Closing arguments are to continue on Nov. 29.

Tuesday, November 29th:
*Trial continues-Closing Arguments (@ am CET) - Germany - *Irmgard Furchner (18 @ time of crime/95/now 97) Indicted (Feb. 5, 2021) on 10,000 counts of accessory to murder in Nazi Camp. Furchner is accused of having contributed as an 18-year-old to the murder of 11,412 people & 18 additional counts of accessory to attempted murder when she worked as a secretary, stenographer & typist to SS commandant Paul Werner Hoppe & would have had a hand in transport lists of detainees due to be sent to Auschwitz for execution, the dictation of Hoppe’s orders, radio messages & his correspondence at the Stutthof concentration camp between 1943 & 1945.
Trial began on Oct. 19, 2021. Trial is scheduled to continue over the next few months. Sessions are limited to about two hours a day, based on medical advice.
After trying to escape the trial in late September, leaving the retirement home in Quickborn where she lives & traveling by taxi to the outskirts of Hamburg, she was arrested several hours later & placed in police custody for five days before being fitted with an electronic wrist tag.

Case & court info from Feb. 5, 2021 to Sept. 29, 2021 & trial days (Oct. 19, 2021-Dec. 27, 2021) reference post #129 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...-1943-1945-nazi-camp-5-feb-2021.558586/page-7

June 7, 2022 Trial Update: The trial was interrupted for 8 weeks because she was ill. The latest is that the trial has resumed & they had to stop after 2 hours because both the defendant (96) & the witness (95) were exhausted. This was on June 7, 2022. Trial continues on June 13, 2022.
June 13th to June 17th: No idea what’s going on – trial continues on Monday, June 20th thru Friday, June 24th.
Nov. 11, 2022 Update: German prosecutors called Tuesday for a 97-year-old woman who was the secretary to the SS commander of the Stutthof concentration camp to be convicted as an accessory to murder & given a two-year suspended sentence. Furchner hasn't responded to the charges against her during the trial. There are no formal pleas in the German judicial system. Furchner is being tried in juvenile court because she was under 21 at the time of the alleged crimes. Closing arguments are to continue on Nov. 29, 2022.

Still shaking my head over this one. She is now 97, and had to be charged as a juvenile.

I highly recommend The House on Garibaldi Street certainly the book and at least one movie version to get an idea of the work of finding & bringing Nazi leaders to trial for their war crimes.

(If you're more into fiction and like to be scared, The Boys From Brazil is another good book.)

@ZaZara - finding anything on the closing arguments from yesterday? I sure am not...

TIA if you find something!
Christmas Decor Fan Smiley

Lawyers for a 97-year-old former secretary to the SS commander of Nazi Germany’s Stutthof concentration camp asked Tuesday for their client to be acquitted, arguing that she didn’t know about the atrocities committed at the camp located in what is now northern Poland.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OwlEyes
Back