Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o Prejudice* #103

Status
Not open for further replies.
rbbm

If I may thieve a phrase of you --

Why would a godly man, a happily married man, married to the love of his life, whom he believed to be the hottest woman between milemarkers, be Googling (close cousin to ogling) hot Salida girls?

Maybe he was looking for some young people to mentor.

Or maybe he needed help polishing his holster.

You know, did Barry ever make it to Walmart on 5/9? Looking for a last minute CYA Mother's Day card? Or did he see no need? Cheap is cheap. She wasn't going to see Mother's Day. And it's not like it was Wife's Day.

I am concerned for the new owners of PP, however. They must be overrun with chipmunks.

If Barry loses his gun-wielding privileges, how long until he's got one in each hand?

Can he really resist? A magnificent elk, a real one. The maligned mountain lion? A troublesome chipmunk?

But, your honor, I neeeeeeed my guns. I kill, it's what I do. I've done it my whole life.

Losing his firearms won't faze him.

I wonder if there's anyone close to him who'd harbor wespons for him.

For as long as he has people to manipulate, he will.

He needs a sentence with teeth.

Bear claw

JMO
Figuratively speaking, a bear claw:
  • of case-hardened steel;
  • w/ capital-ship-scaled anchoring chains;
  • secured to multiple anchoring spikes,
  • pile-driven into bedrock below the permafrost;
  • and offering public viewing, no appointment(s) necesary,
  • to observe, on alternate Saturday evenings, the provision of reduced rations, typically veggie soup and left-over mystery meat, in double. portions.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

... Lest we forget, there were - and imo still ought to be - THREE post-Enlightenment/Common Law objectives of judical punishment:

(1) Deterence and (2) rehabilitation, (neither of which we ever stop hearing about when it comes to sentencing the guilty),...
... as well as (3),
SOCIETAL RETRIBUTION.

This should never be lost sight of because - first-and-foremost, not merely 'afterall' - it was the general as well as proximate and specific populace that every guilty miscreant has harmed or disabused.
IMHO
:mad:

Request is for firearms and archery. Murphy says it’s not too uncommon of a request in this county. Judge has a probation officer in the meeting now who says he can have a muzzle loader and a bow but not firearms under federal law until the deferred sentence is complete.
I'm following the UT-Dyland Rounds 19, missing case and two POI's are both in custody on felon in possession gun charges.

One of the POI's had 4 muzzleloaders and black powder ammo. Under the federal statute, up to 50# of black powder for the muzzleloader is allowed but a single .22 live round is prohibited. (He also had a Remmington rifle, hence the felon in possession charge).

We know that BM is subject to live rounds falling out of his pockets. I think this supervised probation will prove interesting.

Is he allowed to leave the state or country? If so, who monitors him then?

For a year! And he gets to participate muzzle season and archery season so September into mid-October so not really Robin Hook LOL if you've seen hunting bows and arrows. And that is a deferred sentence....wow....means if he continues to not break probation this year as he has the past two years he won't even have that charge on his record. Sweet plea deal. I'd hire this lawyer in a heartbeat if I was in trouble and had the $$. I shouldn't be surprised...but I am slightly.
Yeah.. sweet. Maybe BM can take KK as his date to the annual Eytan-Nielsen holiday soirée. :mad:

Bows and muzzle loaders kill just as sure and permanent as any other weapons can and do.....So Barry should find solace and comfort in that much.....fwiw.
It also takes a lot more skill (I think) to hunt with a bow. My husband and children are avid hunters and bow season is one of lots of patience, scouting out spots, and just lots of mornings and evenings in the woods waiting. I don't hunt, but it's my understanding you have to be much closer to the animal and it's easier to spook them or not have them come close enough. Maybe that'll be good for ole Barry. He seems like the quick and easy type

For a year! And he gets to participate muzzle season and archery season so September into mid-October so not really Robin Hook LOL if you've seen hunting bows and arrows. And that is a deferred sentence....wow....means if he continues to not break probation this year as he has the past two years he won't even have that charge on his record. Sweet plea deal. I'd hire this lawyer in a heartbeat if I was in trouble and had the $$. I shouldn't be surprised...but I am slightly.
RBBM. Well, maybe Robin Hood and Daniel Boone. And the English longbows were much more powerful than the strongest compound hunting bow (which has a 70 pound draw weight). Here's a description of "The Machine Gun of the Medieval Era."

"The heavy war arrows used by English longbowmen were able to penetrate leather and cloth armor, iron plate armor, and even some types of steel plate armor.

Few medieval weapons of the projectile-firing (or, rather, loosing) variety have achieved as much fame as the English longbow.

A six-foot bow made of yew wood, the English longbow had a draw weight of between 80 and 150 pounds, an effective range of up to 350 yards. The heavy war arrows used were able to penetrate all but the very best steel plate armor of the medieval period.

This, coupled with the fact that an experienced archer could loose up to six arrows per minute, meant that a force of expert archers could shower their adversaries with a storm of thousands of deadly projectiles in mere minutes. Being such a potent military force, English longbowmen proved pivotal in a number of English battlefield victories." BBM.

I'd say Robin Hood could more than hold his own with any modern bow hunter.

Daniel Boone used a muzzle-loaded, single shot Pennsylvania Rifle that was accurate to 300 yards - about the same as most modern muzzle loaders.

For someone who "avidly" likes to blast away at deer from 600-700 yards with a typical modern hunting rifle, the black powder season will require development of real hunting skills. Does BM have them? IDK.

I'm following the UT-Dyland Rounds 19, missing case and two POI's are both in custody on felon in possession gun charges.

One of the POI's had 4 muzzleloaders and black powder ammo. Under the federal statute, up to 50# of black powder for the muzzleloader is allowed but a single .22 live round is prohibited. (He also had a Remmington rifle, hence the felon in possession charge).

We know that BM is subject to live rounds falling out of his pockets. I think this supervised probation will prove interesting.

Is he allowed to leave the state or country? If so, who monitors him then?
Didn't he lose the right to his weapons during his bond period from the dismissed trial? I don't think this is "new" for him. I don't think he was able to do any hunting during hunting season when he was out on bond.

RBBM. Well, maybe Robin Hood and Daniel Boone. And the English longbows were much more powerful than the strongest compound hunting bow (which has a 70 pound draw weight). Here's a description of "The Machine Gun of the Medieval Era."

"The heavy war arrows used by English longbowmen were able to penetrate leather and cloth armor, iron plate armor, and even some types of steel plate armor.

Few medieval weapons of the projectile-firing (or, rather, loosing) variety have achieved as much fame as the English longbow.

A six-foot bow made of yew wood, the English longbow had a draw weight of between 80 and 150 pounds, an effective range of up to 350 yards. The heavy war arrows used were able to penetrate all but the very best steel plate armor of the medieval period.

This, coupled with the fact that an experienced archer could loose up to six arrows per minute, meant that a force of expert archers could shower their adversaries with a storm of thousands of deadly projectiles in mere minutes. Being such a potent military force, English longbowmen proved pivotal in a number of English battlefield victories." BBM.

I'd say Robin Hood could more than hold his own with any modern bow hunter.

Daniel Boone used a muzzle-loaded, single shot Pennsylvania Rifle that was accurate to 300 yards - about the same as most modern muzzle loaders.

For someone who "avidly" likes to blast away at deer from 600-700 yards with a typical modern hunting rifle, the black powder season will require development of real hunting skills. Does BM have them? IDK.
I was wondering the same thing. Who knows maybe he will develop some new hobbies.

I wonder what behavior will violate this "deferred sentence" plea? If he is caught with a weapon in his possession during the next 12 months, is the deal off and what is his punishment then?
If he is found with a prohibited weapon in his possession, it is both a separate criminal charge and a violation of the standard terms of probation (see below). He can request a jury trial on the criminal charge, which must be proved beyond a reasonable doubt, but if the DA seeks to revoke the deferred sentence deal BM can only get a probation violation hearing before the judge in the fraud case, which I believe has a lower burden of proof. If the judge finds BM violated the terms of his probation, he can sentence BM for the fraud as if the condition of deferral did not exist (see my previous post).

BM always feels he can test the limits and try to get away with things. My guess is that IF he has trusted friends who will cooperate, he will accompany them during the regular hunting season as a "non-participant" and borrow their guns to shoot deer and elk in violation of the order. We'll see how that works out.

Here are the standard terms of probation in Colorado. Some are required by law. Some can be tailored by the judge to the particular situation.

Colorado Standard form Conditions of Probation.

Barry doesn't seem the sort to be constrained by hunting seasons.

Or to forego the thrill of the kill.

IMO he"ll likely still go on his self-titled, two-week "Bible" retreats. But if he's suddenly feeling law-bound (it's up for debate whether he's capable of such a thing), he'll just bring along a hunting partner. I'm certain there's going to be at least one enabler he can snake into going hunting with him. They can have guns.... loophole? Can Barr go hunting with a fully armed hunter at his side, and be in compliance?

How does the mighty IE impress upon her client to comply? Did Barry finally meet his match, a controller powerful enough to tell Barry what to do? And a woman no less. Does he know he's being played? (And by "played' I mean that IE has his puppet strings.)

Maybe he should leave guns and hunting alone for a while. Focus his energy on his 32 hours of community service. (I don't recommend he be allowed rnentoring or any roadside trash pickup, he might socialize too long at the dumpsters.)

32 hours.

Roughly an hour for every minute of his video plea.

Roughly an hour for each year of his truncated marriage.

Roughly an hour for every hour Suzanne was missing before he arrived back home to pretend he didn't know where she was.

Can Barry behave for a full year?

Can Barry live with someone who has guns?

Question stands. Does IE have enough influence over Barry to keep his dirty little fingers off of all guns?

Or will Barry keep doing what Barry always does?

I hope the woods have eyes.

JMO

It is said that Barry doesn't drink. Why do you think he's drinking after all these decades? He's at that age where bags do start in men and women.
BBM - Why do you think he's drinking after all these decades?

I am unsure whether you meant this to be a rhetorical question or not but I offer my thoughts
I am also curious where you got the notion that he has not imbibed in decades?
Evidence that he is not a “teetotaler” is in the aa in the form of his dna on the lips of the beer bottles

Why do I think he is drinking? Allow me to take a look at his life
He has been unmasked and totally exposed to be the “poser” that he is. IMO the man has a lot of shame, his carefully crafted image shot to hell. One bad choice, and you know, God let it happen. But then God let all the rest happen to him too.

A stint in jail. The shackles and prison garb pictures of him plastered in all the tabloids.

No resolution to his murder case. Imagine the stress of having that hang over you like the BIG dark cloud it is.
And he knows the real killer is out there because… it’s Him ! That will be the final unmasking and if he does wind being sarrested again – my best guess is that might send him totally over the edge.

IMO drinking is also in his genes. IMO there are a few DUI’s here and there in the family tree. So much enabling going on in that family it basically sounds a siren IMO

But mostly I think he is drinking to cover up and try and even out “uncomfortable feelings” that scream very loudly inside his head. He has his work, he has some hunting, he has Sho but he is a shell of the perfect in every way “Lord and Master of the universe” he used to consider himself to be. And the whole world knows it.

All just my own sepculation IMO

Didn't he lose the right to his weapons during his bond period from the dismissed trial? I don't think this is "new" for him. I don't think he was able to do any hunting during hunting season when he was out on bond.
Don't forget he was wearing an ankle monitor and limited to Chaffee County with a few exceptions. Probation is not exactly comparable to bond release.

BBM - Why do you think he's drinking after all these decades?

I am unsure whether you meant this to be a rhetorical question or not but I offer my thoughts
I am also curious where you got the notion that he has not imbibed in decades?
Evidence that he is not a “teetotaler” is in the aa in the form of his dna on the lips of the beer bottles

Why do I think he is drinking? Allow me to take a look at his life
He has been unmasked and totally exposed to be the “poser” that he is. IMO the man has a lot of shame, his carefully crafted image shot to hell. One bad choice, and you know, God let it happen. But then God let all the rest happen to him too.

A stint in jail. The shackles and prison garb pictures of him plastered in all the tabloids.

No resolution to his murder case. Imagine the stress of having that hang over you like the BIG dark cloud it is.
And he knows the real killer is out there because… it’s Him ! That will be the final unmasking and if he does wind being sarrested again – my best guess is that might send him totally over the edge.

IMO drinking is also in his genes. IMO there are a few DUI’s here and there in the family tree. So much enabling going on in that family it basically sounds a siren IMO

But mostly I think he is drinking to cover up and try and even out “uncomfortable feelings” that scream very loudly inside his head. He has his work, he has some hunting, he has Sho but he is a shell of the perfect in every way “Lord and Master of the universe” he used to consider himself to be. And the whole world knows it.

All just my own sepculation IMO
Your points are well taken. I obviously don't know the man, but "drinking" seems to keep cropping up so was curious what changed. I do tend to believe that prior to Suzanne going missing I believe he was non drinker as friends reported and along with his distain for Suzanne drinking it seems probable. But no one but him knows what the last couple years have been like and I'm a person who just doesn't project on what's going on in people's heads and moreso with someone I don't know. We don't even know what the conditions of his current probation is so hard to say if he drinks what difference it makes. I was just curious why this just popped up recently because I had not seen anyone comment on Barry and alcohol.

Well like it or not, it went pretty much as I guessed:

Lauren Scharf
@LaurenScharfTV

SENTENCING: #BarryMorphew agreed to deferred sentence to 1 year, supervised probation. No jail time. “I believe there should be some sort of punishment,” Judge Murphy said. 32 hours of community service and he can do it in Denver, not Chaffee Co. if he wants.

11:29 AM · Jul 21, 2022·Twitter for iPhone

bbm

Denver. Huh. I wonder if the Eytan-Nielsen law firm uses any community service enrollees.

Maybe he will have free time to search for his missing wife.
Sounds like he is living in Denver from the Twitter feed from Lauren so I am of the opinion people probably need to give up that idea that he'll be in Salida much let alone organizing searches after 2 years. I'm just a realist I guess. The pressure should be on law enforcement in my opinion.

Sounds like he is living in Denver from the Twitter feed from Lauren so I am of the opinion people probably need to give up that idea that he'll be in Salida much let alone organizing searches after 2 years. I'm just a realist I guess. The pressure should be on law enforcement in my opinion.
I long ago gave up on him searching for her.

He did not go to vigils, too busy tending to his trail cams and carrying his rifle around protecting his property while volunteers - many from out of state - searched.

Apparently when his daughters said “we”, they were not including him.

Morphew’s other daughter, Macy, used the opportunity to plead with District Attorney Linda Stanley: “I just hope that Linda will step up to the plate and do everything she can to find our mom, because what they’ve done it’s not fair and we’re never going to stop looking for our mom.”

Your points are well taken. I obviously don't know the man, but "drinking" seems to keep cropping up so was curious what changed. I do tend to believe that prior to Suzanne going missing I believe he was non drinker as friends reported and along with his distain for Suzanne drinking it seems probable. But no one but him knows what the last couple years have been like and I'm a person who just doesn't project on what's going on in people's heads and moreso with someone I don't know. We don't even know what the conditions of his current probation is so hard to say if he drinks what difference it makes. I was just curious why this just popped up recently because I had not seen anyone comment on Barry and alcohol.
For me - it is coming up because when Barry was shown the last proof of life photo of Suzanne, all he had to say was “drunk eyes”. Takes one to know one. That and because to me - he looks like an old drunk. I’ve seen plenty.

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member