VA VA - Scott Ratigan, 24, found murdered in apartment, Arlington, 17 Jan 2020

“ Killer arrives at Scott's apt. around 11am. Killer is seen leaving high rise apts via cctv by 12:20pm.” CONFIRMED

“(maybe stowed in the backpack w/a knife? Was it a chef's knife or a Buck?)”

“Whatever happened on the interior, in the bedroom, was not as Scott expected. His throat was likely slashed and his chest endured multiple injuries that someone opined could be from a taser (which are extremely painful and cause immediate cramps & collapse). Blood was visible on his face.”

Thank you for posting this.
I had heard that buildings with CCTV had time stamps earlier in the day.

The POI was there when the hustle of lunch crowds were on the street.
Having the specific time of 11 to 12:20 might jog a person’s memory. So much time has passed; this information should be made available to the public.

The blunt force was a knife. IMO

Why haven’t photos of the crime scene been released? The trained killer was quick, straight forward—showed up on a mission to end Scott’s life. IMO

The sister and friends never expected to find the scene that they discovered when returning to the apartment. There was a distinct smell of bleach.
Was Scott’s phone soaked in bleach…the SIM card destroyed or taken.
*a planned murder; POI dressed for a tactical mission; hit man”. IMO

Possessive Jealousy from someone in the DC, MD, or VA area that wanted Scott dead.
I never liked the “sugar daddy” speculation that was implied early on. That some man with a ridiculous amount of money viewed Scott as a threat because of Scott’s relationship with former/current gf. IMO, Possessive love/jealousy of an arrogant wealthy man that could not accept the reality of Scott interfering in gf’s life.
This jealous man, hired a hit man.

Unless detectives put out more info to the public, this case may never be solved.

I'm wondering that if LE got onto these videos early enough, could they continued going to establishments in the area to further track the person? If we're talking about releasing more info could that possibly help if LE has more video.

This person has a very distinctive walk/gait. And this isn't like a grainy video of a person walking on a shaky railroad bridge in the Delphi murders where LE asks the public if they recognize the walk. We have very clear video and more than just 2 seconds. Someone, somewhere in Arlington or surrounding area recognizes that walk and physique. I wouldn't be surprised if LE has received a tip on the killer, but for some reason it hasn't gone anywhere.

I'm wondering that if LE got onto these videos early enough, could they continued going to establishments in the area to further track the person? If we're talking about releasing more info could that possibly help if LE has more video.

This person has a very distinctive walk/gait. And this isn't like a grainy video of a person walking on a shaky railroad bridge in the Delphi murders where LE asks the public if they recognize the walk. We have very clear video and more than just 2 seconds. Someone, somewhere in Arlington or surrounding area recognizes that walk and physique. I wouldn't be surprised if LE has received a tip on the killer, but for some reason it hasn't gone anywhere.

The police almost certainly got these videos immediately after the crime. I used to pull surveillance videos for a job and the longest retention I've seen on a surveillance camera is 90 days. And this was for a company that was heavily sued and needed to pull surveillance video regularly. Just local cameras on the outside of businesses probably have closer to a 30 or maybe 60 day storage window. I can almost guarantee as soon as the police began their investigation and they requested surveillance from all the nearby cameras and got it very quickly. Maybe for the first year they felt they didn't need to release to the public as they were closing in on someone but as a year went by they realized they needed help and decided to release it on the anniversary.

Given the area, I think they probably have additional video of this person leaving the scene as well. But feel what they've released is the most helpful in terms of someone in the public identifying this person.

This feels a lot like Delphi where they are releasing as little as they can to the public while still trying to move the investigation forward. I can't say whether that is a good tactic or not - I'm not privy to what they know. But it would signal to me there are some very unique aspects of the murder or the suspect that they need to keep out of the public sphere in order to identify the person or convict them when the time comes.

I do wish they'd released the video immediately. The chances of someone remembering something would have been significantly higher and there was more buzz around the case initially it seems.

Or Scott let him in because he was expected.
The hit man was not expected. This was not a hook up on Tinder or some friend from the gym.

It happened shortly after 11:00 AM due to CCTV and also the angle of the sun on the buildings. I work on Wilson Ave. and am familiar with the way the sun casts shadows on high rise buildings. Winter days, Jan., my plants in my office face where the sun will reach them.
Another websleuth pointed out the time of day being earlier, due to traffic on the street, the way the light was cast on the building.

Imagine coming home from a day with friends, discovering that your brother isn’t breathing.
If Scott was face down, they may not have seen the blunt force wounds.

I MO

It would be nice to Learn what blunt instrument was used. A knife? A machete?​

Do the LE detectives have any information if the murderer is male or female?​

A blunt instrument does not puncture the skin. Scott was beat with a blunt object like a hammer. Not a jacked up carpenter's hammer but still a sturdy weapon. I think the blunt force trauma to the chest may be the cause of death.

A hammer would fit nicely into one of the pockets of the backpack.

Scott's chest was beaten, likely, with a hammer. His neck was bleeding. He had defensive wounds on his hands. So, there was likely a knife used, as well, but it's not necessary. It depends on the end of the hammer being able to cut through tissues around his neck, that is, if the blunt force trauma was caused by a hammer. Could have been trauma from nunchucks, too.

How does no one recognize that walk?? It's so clear and specific.
The gait and body are very distinctive too. If someone knows that person, they would've recognized him/her from that video, unless they are just incredibly unobservant. So either LE knows and is waiting for this person to make a mistake so they can gather evidence, or whoever recognized the person hasn't reported them to LE and LE is in the dark. Funny, you'd think LE would announce POI if they knew who was in the video. Since they have not, they either don't know who the person is or they believe that outing the person will hinder their investigation. They clearly don't have enough evidence for an arrest.

I was just reading about this shooting at a high rise apartment complex in Alexandria yesterday, and they have photos of three suspects.The third suspect has a similar height/build/pigeon toed gait as the suspect in Scott’s case. And is carrying a backpack. Could be unrelated, but it reminded me of the same scenario as Scott’s, in a high rise building.

Man found shot to death in Fairfax County apartment, police say - NewsBreak

I was just reading about this shooting at a high rise apartment complex in Alexandria yesterday, and they have photos of three suspects.The third suspect has a similar height/build/pigeon toed gait as the suspect in Scott’s case. And is carrying a backpack. Could be unrelated, but it reminded me of the same scenario as Scott’s, in a high rise building.

Thank you for bringing this over, it is very interesting, I hope it leads to some answers. The dressed all in black and carrying back packs are intriguing. Scott and his family have been waiting for justice for a long time now.

Interesting. Whenever I've looked at the POI in SR's case, I'd swear the perp is white.

2021 rbbm.
''The Arlington County Police Department is seeking the public’s assistance identifying a person of interest captured in surveillance video as they continue to investigate a homicide that occurred on January 17, 2020. Case # 2020-01170229. Anyone with information related to this incident is asked to contact the Arlington County Police Department’s Homicide/Robbery Unit at 703-228-4180 or ACPDTipline@arlingtonva.us.''

''Scott Ratigan was founded bloodied and unresponsive in his bedroom, at the AVA Ballston Square apartment building (850 N. Randolph Street), around 5:30 p.m. on Jan. 17, 2020. Police now say he suffered “trauma to the upper body.”

'' Police now say that “evidence recovered at the scene indicates the suspect(s) attempted to clean the crime scene prior to fleeing the residence.”

Today, ahead of the one-year anniversary of the crime, Arlington County police also released video and three surveillance images of a “person of interest” — seen leaving the area while wearing a mask, before that became commonplace during the pandemic.

“The individual is described as a White male, approximately 5’6″ – 5’8″ tall, weighing 150 – 175 lbs, dressed in all black, carrying a black backpack and walking with his feet turned inward, often referred to as a pigeon-toed gait,” ACPD said. “Detectives would like to identify and speak with this individual.”

Looks somewhat feminine from the waist to the knees, imo, speculation.
1667248330375.png

In Scott's murder, the killer was careful to hide their identity at all times when on cctv.

In the other case mentioned above, they look very young, esp the one in the 2nd photo with the ball cap on backwards. Why are 3 people participating in a killing that one person could do?

I also feel strongly that SR's killer specifically targeted Scott for reasons currently unknown to us.

It is a bit annoying that LEO released the images of the 3 suspects right away but chose not to release cctv of Scott's killer for a year.

mhoo

The hit man was not expected. This was not a hook up on Tinder or some friend from the gym.

It happened shortly after 11:00 AM due to CCTV and also the angle of the sun on the buildings. I work on Wilson Ave. and am familiar with the way the sun casts shadows on high rise buildings. Winter days, Jan., my plants in my office face where the sun will reach them.
Another websleuth pointed out the time of day being earlier, due to traffic on the street, the way the light was cast on the building.

Imagine coming home from a day with friends, discovering that your brother isn’t breathing.
If Scott was face down, they may not have seen the blunt force wounds.

I MO

Reading your post again about the idea of Scott being face down when found paints a slightly different picture than I imagined all of this time. I'd always assumed SR was face up or in the supine position and not in the prone position which is face down.

If that's true that SR was in the prone position, Scott may not have seen the first blow coming. Perhaps the killer straddled Scott's backside so Scott could not effectively fight back.

Although I rechecked many news articles, with some links being inactive now, none contained the facts that blood was found on his hands, neck and mouth. Why did blood ooze from his mouth? A severely harmed lung or a perforated artery could be the likely cause.

The killer could have hit his upper back with a great force that harmed a lung or a knife was used; thereby, cutting an artery, perhaps in his neck. A very bloody mess is created when blood spurts from an artery. Didn't his hands indicate defensive wounds?

Impatiently waiting for an official update...

Initial reports suggested that a young man was in cardiac arrest, with blood coming from his upper extremities
DEVELOPING: Police Investigating ‘Suspicious Death’ in Ballston Apartment Building | ARLnow.com

Scott Ratigan, 24, of Arlington, died from trauma to the upper body, police spokesperson Ashley Savage said Tuesday afternoon.
Suspicious death in Ballston area ruled a homicide

edit: sp error

Last edited:
2021 rbbm.
''The Arlington County Police Department is seeking the public’s assistance identifying a person of interest captured in surveillance video as they continue to investigate a homicide that occurred on January 17, 2020. Case # 2020-01170229. Anyone with information related to this incident is asked to contact the Arlington County Police Department’s Homicide/Robbery Unit at 703-228-4180 or ACPDTipline@arlingtonva.us.''

''Scott Ratigan was founded bloodied and unresponsive in his bedroom, at the AVA Ballston Square apartment building (850 N. Randolph Street), around 5:30 p.m. on Jan. 17, 2020. Police now say he suffered “trauma to the upper body.”

'' Police now say that “evidence recovered at the scene indicates the suspect(s) attempted to clean the crime scene prior to fleeing the residence.”

Today, ahead of the one-year anniversary of the crime, Arlington County police also released video and three surveillance images of a “person of interest” — seen leaving the area while wearing a mask, before that became commonplace during the pandemic.

“The individual is described as a White male, approximately 5’6″ – 5’8″ tall, weighing 150 – 175 lbs, dressed in all black, carrying a black backpack and walking with his feet turned inward, often referred to as a pigeon-toed gait,” ACPD said. “Detectives would like to identify and speak with this individual.”

View attachment 377034
Hips kind of curvy too. Hard to tell for sure tho.

The only thing we know about injuries relating to Scott is that he was bleeding from the extremities and had injuries related to blunt force trauma. That's it really. We don't know whether he was face up or face down on the bed. We know there was evidence that the killer attempted to clean up the crime scene. We've watched the compilation of the person of interest and his gait. I personally don't think that a pigeon toed walk is all that unique. When I was in high school I remember a few male athletes walked exactly that way. Here's an article regarding pigeon toes and sports.

Based on the fact that his relative initially thought he had suffered some sort of cardiac event it suggests the crime scene was not an obvious scene of violence with indications of a struggle, blood splatter and that SR's body had no visual signs of injury. I would think if SR died in his bed, and he was bleeding from his mouth and extremities the wounds had either been cleaned up after death or the signs were minimal. The fact that he had injuries on his extremities suggest he engaged in the classic response to a physical attack by trying to ward off the blows using his hands and arms. He would not be able to do that if he was lying face down.

I've said this before and it still boggles my mind that nearly three years have elapsed since his murder and NO ONE, not LE, his friends and most especially his family have tried to keep his name in the news. I cannot figure out why everyone is so silent. It is very unusual considering the nature of the crime.

Last edited:
2021 rbbm.

View attachment 377034
Thanks for the refresher on the video… I couldn’t remember if the perp‘s face could be seen in Scott’s case, so I wasn’t sure about white, Asian, etc..

I personally thought Scott’s assailant looked more like a female, but when I saw the smaller male in this recent incident, I changed my mind about Scott’s perp.
Now I think it could be a male or female.

I did see that they arrested one of the persons of interest in this recent case that I posted here. I wish there were some leads in Scott’s case, though.

Thanks for the refresher on the video… I couldn’t remember if the perp‘s face could be seen in Scott’s case, so I wasn’t sure about white, Asian, etc..

I personally thought Scott’s assailant looked more like a female, but when I saw the smaller male in this recent incident, I changed my mind about Scott’s perp.
Now I think it could be a male or female.

I did see that they arrested one of the persons of interest in this recent case that I posted here. I wish there were some leads in Scott’s case, though.
If a suspect is known but there is not enough evidence to arrest the POI, what do the detectives do?
Just wait?

Was a weapon or blunt instrument found in the Apartment.
Coming up on year 4.

Detectives and police, please review the clothing, shoes, bedspread for any DNA that is not Scott’s. Something had to be left behind at the crime scene.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back