SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe there will be MANY articles about the crimes and behavior of AM in the future - I have no doubt the many deals and cases he has been involved in will be heavily scrutinized. There isn't a hole deep enough he will be able to hide in and I want every crime he has committed to be exposed.

That said, I really believe his arrogance and ego have no limit - he has been committing financial crimes for years (if the charges are to be believed) and I think the murders were done to cover up his theft and double-dealings. But, with all the millions he is accused of stealing, I STILL don't buy the opiate addiction excuse - I really, really think we will discover a gambling addiction. I mean, he could have bribed more than a few doctors with the kind of money we are talking about.

I am sickened by this case with every charge that comes to light - he stole from everyone and then he murdered to cover it up. We will hear a lot more, I fear, about his crimes and the crooked shenanigans he has done. I mean, every case this man has ever been involved in - financial or criminal - will be explored. Let's not forget, he worked with the prosecutor's office for years - they cannot be happy about that at all! I am just waiting for reports about that office and the cases that need to be investigated. I have a feeling they are scrambling and quite scared about what will come to light.

This man is a disgrace to humanity.

All my opinion, of course.

Last edited:
I believe there will be MANY articles about the crimes and behavior of AM in the future - I have no doubt the many deals and cases he has been involved in will be heavily scrutinized. There isn't a hole deep enough he will be able to hide in and I want every crime he has committed to be exposed.

That said, I really believe his arrogance and ego have no limit - he has been committing financial crimes for years (if the charges are to be believed) and I think the murders were done to cover up his theft and double-dealings. But, with all the millions he is accused of stealing, I STILL don't buy the opiate addiction excuse - I really, really think we will discover a gambling addiction. I mean, he could have bribed more than a few doctors with the kind of money we are talking about.

I am sickened by this case with every charge that comes to light - he stole from everyone and then he murdered to cover it up. We will hear a lot more, I fear, about his crimes and the crooked shenanigans he has done. I mean, every case this man has ever been involved in - financial or criminal - will be explored. Let's not forget, he worked with the prosecutor's office for years - they cannot be happy about that at all!

This man is a disgrace to humanity.

All my opinion, of course.
Yes. I don't buy the opiate addiction thing either, as there are several issues with it. It doesn't explain where all these millions went, and I can't imagine he would have been able to pull all this off while under the influence. On top of that, this apparently came as a surprise to his coworkers.

I like the gambling angle as well.

Murder is an incredibly repugnant crime - horrible in every way. But, if the murders of MM and PM triggered the investigation into AM, then I hope that investigation will uncover all of his heinous crimes.

The investigation into the death and subsequent massive theft from their housekeeper, Mrs Satterfield really bothers me. I am so disturbed by her death and the theft of any settlement from her family. I really hope her family can recoup some of the money he stole from her estate. This woman practically raised the 2 boys and she gave everything to that family and he repaid her loyalty with theft and (possibly) much worse.

UGGH!

Some have asked if MM knew her son would be there. She did.

"On the day of her murder, she knew Paul — who worked that day at his uncle’s equipment rental shop and ate dinner with his uncle’s family at their home in Okatie — would be at Moselle that evening.
Paul left Okatie for Moselle at around 6:00 p.m."

The answer of MM knowing about PM being present at Moselle is important. MM knew. TY. Also, it seems that PM dined with his uncle, in Okatie then left for Moselle at 6pm.

It was raining and sunset that day was at 8:30pm. MSM all but says AM was lying in wait to execute MM but they call it having his rifle 'at the ready'. Was AM at the shed with the red roof waiting for MM to arrive? She keeps her car door open and engine running in the rain? while she runs in the rain to the shed?

Screenshot 2022-07-29 3.53.57 AM.png

At the kennels, PM took a video of friend's dog. His parents could be heard in the audio that was found on Paul's phone. So, AM and MM were close enough to the dog kennel for Paul's phone to record their voices. It's 9 - 9:30pm.

In this location, Alex had MM far enough away from the safety of her car. He shoots PM. Shoots him again in the head this time. MM was found 14-20' away from PM. Maybe she was running away from her husband towards her car when he shot her.

These murders were methodical and diabolical. He always intended to kill them both that night and so he did. That opinion contradicts People mag's theory that AM was surprised PM was at Moselle and so Oops, Paul, you gotta go bc you caught me here killing your mother... No. PM was always going to die, too.

JMHOO
‎The Murdaugh Family Murders: Impact of Influence: 68: What Happened The Night of The Murders on Apple Podcasts

Post is an FYI about certain locations and distances.

Randolph Murdaugh III Obit indicates that RM passed at his Varnille home on Thursday afternoon 6/10/21.

The distance from AM's parents' home in Varnville to Moselle Lodge is only about 12.5 miles or a 16-minute drive.

Hampton Regional Medical Center is a stone's through or 4-minute drive from RM's Varnille home. (HRMC is about 14 miles from Moselle Lodge).

Allendale County Hospital is about 14 miles or 20 minutes from RM's home.

The logical choice for hospital for the 81 yr old on death's door is Hampton Regional Medical Center.

I also think it's very plausible that AM committed the murders, drove to his parents' home, and later drove back to Moselle to report the murders. MOO

1659085809814.png
16 min (12.7 mi)

Missed this, thought I’d post.

A trust, creditors’ claims, Satterfield money? What’s in Murdaugh III’s estate file

NOVEMBER 22, 2021

Among the documents:

A will that that gives all of Murdaugh III’s estate — except for any property Murdaugh III has power of appointment over — to a trust in his name
Two creditors’ claims from a Hampton-based bank totaling more than $935,000
An email that indicates Murdaugh III may have received about $600,000 from the estate of Gloria Satterfield, his son Alex’s deceased former housekeeper. However, reports conflict on how much money was allegedly transferred to Murdaugh III.

Here are details from the estate records of Randolph Murdaugh III, who was the top elected prosecutor over the five-county 14th Judicial Circuit from 1986 to 2005:

On June 23, 2020, Murdaugh III created a will that gave all of his estate to a trust under his name. The Randolph Murdaugh III Trust is listed as the only beneficiary of his estate.

His eldest son, Randolph Murdaugh IV, is named as the personal representative of the estate. If Murdaugh IV were unwilling or unable to serve, Alex Murdaugh would take his place, the will said.

Murdaugh III’s will gave his eldest son the power to handle nearly all aspects of the estate, including to sell property, distribute assets, lend money, sign contracts and hire attorneys and accountants.

Brian T. Treacy, a lawyer unaffiliated with the Murdaugh estate, suggested “Mr. Murdaugh was looking to keep his financial affairs private during his lifetime or, more particularly, after his death.”

However, because Murdaugh III’s “pour-over” will, which automatically transfers assets to a trust, was filed in probate, a complete inventory of his personal property — everything not already in his trust — must be filed by Nov. 29 unless his family asks for an extension.

As of Friday, the family had not filed the inventory and had not requested an extension.

I'm terribly behind. How is it known that the time of death for PM and MM is 9-9:30 and not closer to 7?

The timing is very surprising to me. For one, wasn't MM livid that AM wasn't there earlier? Or did she think they were going to be leaving after 9 PM? They supposedly had an hour-long car ride to go see his father who was only a few days away from death. A visit at 10-10:30 PM to someone who is terminally ill and coming to the end of life is a very, very late visit and is hard for me to believe.
Some recent article, IIRC, mentioned MM talking to a friend while she was on her way from her beach house in Edisto to Moselle property where she was murdered. LE also have her phone and PM's phone. I'm thinking the information from them helped to determine the TOD.

One other thing was the video camera(s?) installed looking at Moselle property. I believe it was a PI working on the Beach case that installed them. That information may have factored into the TOD also. AJMO

Now this is interesting:

"Based on a barely intelligible remark made in his 9-1-1 call on the night of the murders, there is considerable speculation Alex Murdaugh was not expecting his son to be on the family’s sprawling, 1,700-acre hunting property on that fateful evening last June. Many believe Paul Murdaugh – who was staring down a trio of felony charges related to the aforementioned boat crash at the time of his murder – was collateral damage during a premeditated killing of his mother."

I hear it clearly. The 911 operator's voice, to my ears, is very jarring, so you must try and tune it out. AJMO

"For God's sake Paul, why'd you have to get involved".

Mandy’s podcast 5:32 mark

‎Murdaugh Murders Podcast: Who Killed Maggie & Paul? Part One on Apple Podcasts

Island Packet 2:09 mark

‘My wife and child were just shot badly’: SLED releases 911 audio in Murdaugh

It just occured to me, if RMsr was so close to death then any money woes that AM was experiencing could soon be ending. Even though MrsM is still alive (my understanding is she's suffering from dementia) then the executor would have to settle the estate. I'm sure that would be one of the sons - so the father passing could help relieve the money troubles but not PM's charges. So who was really the target? JMO
I think MM's purported start of a forensic accounting of the marriage finaces triggered much panic on AM's part.

Related to both Paul's location and the times of death -- way back when -- like a year ago -- there were discussions here about whether the coroner's TOD could have been stated because of Murdaugh influences with LE, or AM's statements to local LE, or rumored last calls on PM's and/or MM's cellphones, etc. And then on the podcasts accepted by WS, some experts also allowed that it would be very difficult to pinpoint TOD to such a narrow window just based on the bodies (rigor, temp, weather conditions, etc.) -- so it seems we have a lot in play around an accurate TOD. MOO.

Second, again way back when -- we had discussions about whether the crime scene had been tampered with as some folks were reporting -- whether the bodies had been moved, the shed walls had been cleaned, evidence removed before LE arrived, unauthorized persons inside the yellow tape, etc. Saying this, my guess is it would have been difficult to move the bodies intact in their assumed conditions after close-range shootings. MOO.

Additional feelings about June 7 -- the recording of Alec's voice has been rattling around in my head the last few days -- that falsetto and sobbing, and then eerie calm. After knowing what we know now, some of his statements are absolutely haunting and, at least for me, take on new shades of meaning. For instance in such a matter-of-fact tone, "M'am, I need to call some of my family now."

Only my musings. OMO.
I was thinking maybe PM or MM were on their phone with someone? Maybe there was a ear witness to arguing or even shots fired? Just some thoughts.

Seton and Matt talk about the People article and different theories of how the murders might have occurred with FBI expert Bobby Chacon:

This podcast was *very* thought provoking! They caught and explored several really significant points that don’t add up.

Re. Timing: JMM told Seton that Paul left his house June 7 around six to have a family dinner at Moselle. If Alec didn’t know Paul was going to be there, who invited Paul for dinner? Doesnt sound like dinner with Alec and Paul was in Maggie’s plans that night. ???

Who is “Blanca”? Could she have been a witness or factor in timeline? JMM mentioned her related to the dinner.

Former FBI Special Agent, Bobby Chacon talks more about his theories on the two long guns and who was shot first, and also media “leaks.”

That People article just says that Maggie's blood splatter DNA was found on his laundered shirt.

So he had to have changed at some point, either before he left to see his father or during that time period. I'm super curious as to where this shirt was ultimately located. Thinking about it, maybe he entered the house and threw it in the wash before he left.

Then he heads to see his dad, dumping Maggie's phone on the way.

I think that is exactly what happened.

This podcast was *very* thought provoking! They caught and explored several really significant points that don’t add up.

Re. Timing: JMM told Seton that Paul left his house June 7 around six to have a family dinner at Moselle. If Alec didn’t know Paul was going to be there, who invited Paul for dinner? Doesnt sound like dinner with Alec and Paul was in Maggie’s plans that night. ???

Who is “Blanca”? Could she have been a witness or factor in timeline? JMM mentioned her related to the dinner.

Former FBI Special Agent, Bobby Chacon talks more about his theories on the two long guns and who was shot first, and also media “leaks.”

This is crazy. Yes they don't add up.

PM works then has dinner at his uncles then leaves at 6. But, no, uncle says he left at 6 to have dinner at Moselle.

???

The People article mentioned that they were laundered I think, so he must have changed prior to calling 911.

You've got to use the right cleaning solution if you want to destroy DNA on clothing, as bleach or regular detergent just won't cut it.

"Billy Mays here for OxiClean..."

I wonder what his spin explanation was for changing clothes? We’ve heard reports of him shooting targets or hunting that would cover gunpowder on him, his “I touched them” would cover DNA, so while covering bases did he have a story about laundry?

Maybe AM took his clothes to the dry cleaner (some folks call it the laundry in the south) and LE picked them up before or after they were dry cleaned. I don't know if dry cleaning would remove the splatters. JMO

Last edited:
I wonder what his spin explanation was for changing clothes? We’ve heard reports of him shooting targets or hunting that would cover gunpowder on him, his “I touched them” would cover DNA, so while covering bases did he have a story about laundry?

Yes, I figured his explanation of blood or DNA being on his clothes would be he knelt down at the bodies to try and render aid or something. But i think spatter can involve body fluids and parts(that I really can’t make myself type) that aren’t accessible to be touched and hugged from the outside. No explanation for that.
Reset.
Like you said though, that the tainted shirt was laundered presents a big problem for him. I’m curious as to how LE became interested in this shirt. Surely, AM didn’t wash it and then put it back on. Was it in the washing machine? Folded in a drawer or hanging up in the closet? How did LE know to check it? Was it at Moselle or his other house? Did someone tip LE off? Did they realize from PM’s video that AM had on a different shirt?
So many questions.

After listening to the latest Impact of Influence episode #68 and thinking over everything you all have posted and discussed since the murder indictments, here is a potential scenario. OMHO:

I think no one goes too far from home in Hampton Co., (at least not men) without being armed and certainly not when sunset is approaching. Paul probably even carried a shotgun in whatever vehicle he was driving — it’s rural, this is commonplace. My point is, Paul no doubt had a shotgun with him on the night of June 7.

If you will note the kennel layout, each cell is a large wire cage (depth maybe 6’-8’) fronted by a human-sized gate, and in the back of each cell there is a wooden dog “house.”

When Paul went to check and video the injured dog he naturally took his shotgun and leaned the loaded gun against the fencing right inside the gate. I doubt he locked the gate, if he even fully closed it. He may have needed to coax the injured animal from the wooden box to examine it, but in any case he became preoccupied with the dog and taking the video.

Then Maggie arrives, sees Alec’s SUV, and determines he’s in the red-roofed shed. She leaves her Merc, probably miffed, to prod him and say “What are you doing in here? Let’s go!” Or maybe they were texting and AM insists she get out and come into the shed for some reason.

An argument heats up and this attracts Paul, who up until now Alex hasn’t realized was in the kennels.

(Aside: Why do we think AM didn’t expect Paul to be at Moselle? Because some people think they heard, “Paul why did you get involved”? Seton Tucker told us in I-of-I podcast that JMM said Paul went to Moselle that night for a family dinner. Did AM invite him as part of his murder plan and Paul arrived earlier than agreed to check the dog? As I recall, Paul was driving JMM’s truck that night. If Paul was in the kennels first, why didn’t AM notice the truck near the kennel/shed area when he arrived? If Paul drove up after AM was in the big shed, wouldn’t AM have heard the truck arrive?)

Alec may have planned to murder Paul later that night or not at all but with Paul only several feet away in the kennel and becoming a witness, Alec saw an opportunity to use the shotgun to mix things up. (AM does seem to be a quick thinker in crime mode — like when he came up with a whole dog narrative on Gloria’s fall in a matter of minutes).

Alec reached inside the kennel gate and grabbed the gun (or easily wrestled it from Paul who was much smaller and trapped within the fencing). The kennel was too small to shoulder the shotgun inside and Paul was probably reacting (in one way, trying place his cell phone in a back pocket to free up his hands) so Alex backed up into the path to take his shot, dropping Paul in the doorway (halfway in and out), with his cell phone under his body. Remember one shot went through Paul’s arm and head — sounds like he was in a defensive posture.

Former FBI Special Agent Chacon suggests that with both intended targets right there, a quick-thinking gunman neutralizes the more threatening first — the younger and stronger.

Alec is an experienced hunter and used to efficiently handling firearms. I think it’s completely feasible that he dropped the shotgun quickly and was able to shoulder the AR15 in a matter of seconds (less than a minute). Besides, he had time. Maggie couldn’t get away but is running probably toward her car, and probably not fast with the wet, slippery grass, and we know the rest . . .

MOO. So heartbreaking to put this in words. MOO.

I’m not sure the coroner’s TOD can be trusted since we don’t know how much the Murdaugh name influenced the first responders and early evidence procedures. (Considering the magnitude of the crime, they certainly released the bodies quickly for cremation.) If the murders were more like 7-8p that would allow time for a change of clothes, starting washer, showering, dropping firearms and/or clothes in the river, and still getting to Varneville to visit Mamma by 9p. MOO. MOO.

EDIT /ADDED: I also agree that cellphone calls, texting, GPS, etc., probably were the biggest determinant in TOD. I find the conflicting times and alibis the biggest challenges in this case. :p

ADDED #2: All the above being said, wonder if the “family dinner” was to be at the Varneville M’s home (not Moselle) before they went to see Pappa, with Blanca cooking? According to I-of-I podcast #68, Pappa-M was in a Savannah hospital and it would have made more sense because Savannah was more inline with Maggie’s drive back to Edesto? Maybe Paul going to check the dog first was unexpected? Seton said it made no sense for Maggie to come to Moselle before going to Savannah, but of course AM wouldn’t tell her which hospital RMIII was in.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member