TX - Troy Khoeler, 7, found dead inside washing machine, Spring, July 2022 *arrests*

Jermaine Thomas, the adoptive father of Troy, said he could not find the 7-year-old after returning home just before midnight Wednesday. That’s when he said he noticed his front door was unlocked.

"It's just that I came home, I was fixin’ to walk in the door like right now, I don't have my keys but I put my keys to the door handle and then it just open,” he said. “Anything else after that, I don't know."

Meanwhile, Troy's mother, who was also questioned all day Thursday, didn't want to talk when she returned home.

The Harris County Sheriff's Office said at this time neither of them is charged with a crime.

Wait, so mom was at work until she arrived home from the late shift at hospital
mom night shift

and dad just came home before midnight but couldn't find Troy and his front door was unlocked. But nobody reported this child missing until 7:20am? Yeah, this is all kinds of smelly

Wait, so mom was at work until she arrived home from the late shift at hospital
mom night shift

and dad just came home before midnight but couldn't find Troy and his front door was unlocked. But nobody reported this child missing until 7:20am? Yeah, this is all kinds of smelly
Yep, thinking it’s stinking. I’ve been trying to come up with a timeline but it keeps changing. C’mon dad, just keep talking…

Most of the newer washers I have encountered lock. As in, you can't just lift up the lid and toss stuff in while it's running. You have to put stuff in, close the lid, and hold down the button. It locks when it starts. It would be very hard to get in there and get stuck on your own.

They make those? I gotta get out more, but yeah it seems improbable for sure unless they pulled the agitator out. Mine ones out. But why the washer? Dryer would seem easier. Was he trying to hide? Could he have crushed himself like little Harley Dilly? Was he placed in their as punishment? Was he found dirty? I know, these are crazy thoughts… hoping for quick answers.
They do make those without agitators. The washer can hold a king comforter.

They make those? I gotta get out more, but yeah it seems improbable for sure unless they pulled the agitator out. Mine ones out. But why the washer? Dryer would seem easier. Was he trying to hide? Could he have crushed himself like little Harley Dilly? Was he placed in their as punishment? Was he found dirty? I know, these are crazy thoughts… hoping for quick answers.

I have this washing machine and it has a lot of room inside.

Most of the newer washers I have encountered lock. As in, you can't just lift up the lid and toss stuff in while it's running. You have to put stuff in, close the lid, and hold down the button. It locks when it starts. It would be very hard to get in there and get stuck on your own.
I have a Speed Queen top load washer is 3-4 yrs. old and doesn't lock.

Missing 7-year-old Texas child found dead in washing machine (mysanantonio.com)
The parents of 7-year-old Troy Koehler had reported him missing on Thursday morning, July 28, only to find the child hours later at his home, dead inside a washing machine.

The parents reported Koehler missing to Harris County law enforcement around 5:20 a.m. Thursday, saying he was last seen in the Birnam Wood neighborhood, a subdivision in Spring just north of Houston, ABC Houston station KRTK reported. Harris County homicide investigators arrived later that morning at the home to interview the parents and search the home.

Investigators discovered Koehler dead and fully clothed in a top-load washing machine in the garage around 7:20 a.m. on Thursday. Lt. Robert Minchew with the Harris County Sheriff's Office told KRTK that he couldn't say whether the lid was open or closed. Investigators were working to confirm if Koehler, a foster child, was adopted by the family in 2019. No other children live in the home.

The parents, who were not named, were detained and taken to the sheriff's office for further interrogation.

A relative of Koehler's father told KRTK that they found out what happened to the 7-year-old boy through the news and were "blindsided" and "heartbroken" by what happened. Spring ISD confirmed that Koehler was a student in the district. One of his former teachers told KRTK that he was a "bright kid who was full of energy."

So many questions. So many unknowns. I hold out hope that this is a tragic, awful accident but there's more doubt than I'm comfortable with when you start stacking up the kid's history with the father's presentation when talking to the news reporter and the apparent fluctuations in the timeline.

Who installs a washing machine in their garage? Isn't that unusual?

I'm so sorry, little guy. RIP Troy

I don't think the family was using this washing machine. Perhaps it's a broken washing machine left in the garage bc city dump fees may be costly so it's just sitting there. Temporarily. Maybe. When did the mother arrive home? The dad came home to an unlocked door at midnight and reports him missing at 5:20am.

The timeline that has my heading spinning is this Thursday thing:

The parents reported Koehler missing to Harris County law enforcement around 5:20 a.m. Thursday. Dad had arrived home at midnight. Some time the mother came home from work.
Troy was discovered inside the washing machine the next day, Thursday, at 7:20am.

from NeverPersonal's post #31:

"The parents reported Koehler missing to Harris County law enforcement around 5:20 a.m. Thursday, saying he was last seen in the Birnam Wood neighborhood, a subdivision in Spring just north of Houston, ABC Houston station KRTK reported.

Investigators discovered Koehler dead and fully clothed in a top-load washing machine in the garage around 7:20 a.m. on Thursday."

Who installs a washing machine in their garage? Isn't that unusual?

I'm so sorry, little guy. RIP Troy

I don't think the family was using this washing machine. Perhaps it's a broken washing machine left in the garage bc city dump fees may be costly so it's just sitting there. Temporarily. Maybe. When did the mother arrive home? The dad came home to an unlocked door at midnight and reports him missing at 5:20am.

The timeline that has my heading spinning is this Thursday thing:

The parents reported Koehler missing to Harris County law enforcement around 5:20 a.m. Thursday. Dad had arrived home at midnight. Some time the mother came home from work.
Troy was discovered inside the washing machine the next day, Thursday, at 7:20am.
Some places don't have laundry rooms inside.

Even assuming it was a tragic accident caused by childhood curiosity… didn’t it take place around midnight? I find it hard to believe a kid so young had energy to be playing and climbing into things, and without a parent noticing he was awake. Not posting this to blame, rather just wondering when he was actually last seen. Maybe it happened around 8pm the night before and no one had been checking on him since then?

It seems more likely to me that it didn’t happen at midnight, and then the hesitation to admit he wasn’t seen for a few hours before could lead to hesitation to report him missing until morning? That’s the best I can make sense of it.

Even assuming it was a tragic accident caused by childhood curiosity… didn’t it take place around midnight? I find it hard to believe a kid so young had energy to be playing and climbing into things, and without a parent noticing he was awake. Not posting this to blame, rather just wondering when he was actually last seen. Maybe it happened around 8pm the night before and no one had been checking on him since then?

It seems more likely to me that it didn’t happen at midnight, and then the hesitation to admit he wasn’t seen for a few hours before could lead to hesitation to report him missing until morning? That’s the best I can make sense of it.

I agree that probably most kiddos would not be up at midnight but… my oldest son is 8 now and since he was 3, he has given us a run for our money with his middle of the night escapades. Never leaves the house thank goodness, and we have door alarms on his bedroom door (yes, multiple), but when he was younger, the first few times it happened before we installed the door alarms, he would get into all sorts of arts/crafts and create *fun* scenes for us to wake up to. :)
In our case, his main drive for waking up is to get food/snacks, largely due to food insecurity trauma from prior to adoption. Thankfully his adventures now are mostly straight to the kitchen snack basket (one of our strategies to help w/ food insecurity) and then back to bed, but, all of this to say- in his younger years, my kiddo would wake up middle of the night and make quite a bit of noise/mess playing before we noticed.

One more thought- one of our other sons used to experience pretty significant night terrors as a toddler, and we always had to wake him up fully to bring him out of the crying/screaming. Thankfully the terror aspect has stopped, but he is now my one who is prone to get up and sleep walk around the house, and it is quite a bizarre thing to witness. We have safety measures in place for him as well, but when we are alerted to him leaving his room and go to find him, he is often wandering into our room/closet/bathroom without having any idea where he is. Sometimes he’s been getting into the trash or sitting on the edge of tbe bathtub for seemingly no real reason and he doesn’t even seem to be able to see what’s in front of him.

Kids can do strange things in the middle of the night, for sure. Hoping (feels like a strange thing to say) this was an awful accident for sweet Troy, rather than the unimaginable horror of foul play.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back