Found Safe UK - Owami Davies, 24, from Chafford Hundred, Essex, last seen in Croydon, Surrey, 6 Jul 2022

If the 'distressed' photo was from a suspects phone then I can understand why the police would not highlight that is was the last known sighting.

The police are looking for witnesses to anything involving OD since she was last seen on her own and apparently at no risk....I assume the CCTV from the shop

After this, at some point she came into contact with those who may have wished her harm. Police need to know where she went and who she was with after the shop CCTV.

The photo appeared on Croydon MPS twitter feed on July 28 so I don't think it came from a suspect's phone as the first arrests were not until Monday August 1.
Unless of course they had been **helping with enquiries* prior to that date.

Croydon MPS

@MPSCroydon
·
Jul 28

#MISSING | Can you help us find 24-year-old Owami from #Grays in #Essex. She was last seen in the #Croydon area on Wednesday, 6 July. We’re very concerned for her welfare. If seen, please call police on 101 or Tweet
@MetCC
and quote CAD2709/27JUL.

Thank you @Whitehall 1212, that's all very interesting. A and B, who were arrested on suspicion of murder following the raid of a house on Derby Road, were arrested some time on Monday 1 August, and were still in custody on Friday, so that would mean that the whole 96 hours was authorised, wouldn't it?

Would it be fair to conclude that, on the one hand, the evidence against them is not insignificant if it persuaded a magistrate to extend to 96 hours, but on the other, is not definitive for the CPS to be satisfied they can be charged?

I guess what I'm asking is whether with your experience, you can identify where that middle ground lies? A magistrate wouldn't authorise the extension if it was just a fishing expedition, right? So what kind of definitive evidence do you think is lacking for a charge?

If these custody times are correct I would be both surprised and concerned.

The initial arrest would be for the police to put the evidence they have to the suspect in interview and to hopefully get a response/explanation of where they were, who with and what they were doing.

The arrest would also provide powers of search for vehicle and buildings where the suspect had access, possibly providing further evidence, that may need to be processed by the forensics lab before being put to the suspect in a further interview.

If someone is arrested for a new offence, possibly in interview, then the custody clock for the investigation of that offence starts again, whilst the one for the original offence continues.

If someone is relased from custody under investigation or police bail before the end of their authorised detention period, then when they are either re-arrested for the same offence or return on their bail date the clock continues from where it stopped upon their previous release. I hope that makes sense.

To run down the full authorised 96 hours without charge, without releasing under investigation or on police bail sometime before the deadline, when it's obvious there will not be enough evidence to charge is sheer folly.

I suggest this has been mis-reported if that is what was said.

I guess what I'm asking is whether with your experience, you can identify where that middle ground lies? A magistrate wouldn't authorise the extension if it was just a fishing expedition, right? So what kind of definitive evidence do you think is lacking for a charge?

Correct.....a Magistrate would not facilitate a 'fishing expedition'.

Evidence wise for murder, either a body or significant forensic evidence that OD had come to serious harm, DNA particulalrly blood in car/property, weapons with blood/hair, tools with blood/hair, equipment for abduction and disposal, OD's clothing/property in their possession.

The key thing is OD's DNA in a suspects vehicle/property without good explanation. Identifying a credible motive for wishing OD harm would help.

Last edited:
If these custody times are correct I would be both surprised and concerned.

The initial arrest would be for the police to put the evidence they have to the suspect in interview and to hopefully get a response/explanation of where they were, who with and what they were doing.

The arrest would also provide powers of search for vehicle and buildings where the suspect had access, possibly providing further evidence, that may need to be processed by the forensics lab before being put to the suspect in a further interview.

If someone is arrested for a new offence, possibly in interview, then the custody clock for the investigation of that offence starts again, whilst the one for the original offence continues.

If someone is relased from custody under investigation or police bail before the end of their authorised detention period, then when they are either re-arrested for the same offence or return on their bail date the clock continues from where it stopped upon their previous release. I hope that makes sense.

To run down the full authorised 96 hours without charge, without releasing under investigation or on police bail sometime before the deadline, when it's obvious there will not be enough evidence to charge is sheer folly.

I suggest this has been mis-reported if that is what was said.

That's so interesting. Thank you @Whitehall 1212.

The timeline is definitely correct - it comes from the horse's mouth:

Further appeal to trace missing woman Owami Davies

Further arrest in investigation into the disappearance of Owami Davies

UPDATE: Search for Owami Davies continues

They were eventually bailed until a date (unspecified) in September.

The impression I have is of a race against time in hopes of charging instead of releasing that unfortunately was unsuccessful, but I'm only speculating, of course.

That's so interesting. Thank you @Whitehall 1212.

The timeline is definitely correct - it comes from the horse's mouth:

Further appeal to trace missing woman Owami Davies

Further arrest in investigation into the disappearance of Owami Davies

UPDATE: Search for Owami Davies continues

They were eventually bailed until a date (unspecified) in September.

The impression I have is of a race against time in hopes of charging instead of releasing that unfortunately was unsuccessful, but I'm only speculating, of course.

Police have many tricks up their sleeve!

So suspects A, B and C were released on police bail sometime between 10:51 on the 4th Aug and 15:40 on 5th Aug.

This means that their detention period has not expired....albeit there may be limited time to further interview suspect A when he returns in early September or is re-arrested beforehand. It may be a case of either return for straight charge, no further action or there are other offences identified that he can be arrested for.

It's obviously a complex enquiry ?!?!

Detectives investigating the disappearance of a student nurse have appealed for information a month on from the last confirmed sighting of her.

Owami Davies, 24, of Grays, Essex, was last seen just after midnight in Derby Road, West Croydon, south London, on Thursday 7 July.

An unconfirmed sighting placed her in nearby Clarendon Road later that morning, at about 7am.

The Metropolitan police said she had left her family home in Grays three days earlier on Monday 4 July.

Officers have arrested five people – two on suspicion of murder and three on suspicion of kidnap. The most recent was a 27-year-old man arrested on suspicion of kidnap on Saturday.

Four of those arrested have since been released on bail.

DCI Nigel Penney, who is leading the investigation, said: “This is a complex ongoing investigation involving a significant number of officers.

“We are working tirelessly to follow every line of inquiry, including extensive CCTV trawls, as we continue to search for Owami.

“We are now a month on from the last confirmed sighting of her. I cannot imagine what that time has been like for her family. We continue to provide them with whatever support we can.

“I am grateful for the help we have received from the public so far, but I must again appeal for anyone who has information – however insignificant they believe it might be – to get in touch.”

Investigators have previously appealed for the driver of a white van that was parked in Derby Road when Owami was last seen to come forward.

She and a man crossed the road just as the van pulled out.
Owami’s

[...]

Davies was nearing the end of her studies and had secured a job with Guy’s and St Thomas’ health trust, her mother told the PA news agency.

She had worked in A&E during the Covid-19 pandemic and was interested in doing research on diseases.

Davies, who is nicknamed “Princess” due to her love of Disney, had family holidays planned to Spain and Disneyland Paris.
Anyone with information is asked to call the incident room on 020 8721 4622.

Police said information provided would be handled sensitively and anyone who came forward to assist officers would be given support.

Reviewing the CCTV I am drawn to the fact that the white van and the dark saloon (looks like a Mercedes) move off at almost exactly the same time. The white vans rear brake lights are illuminated (brake pedal depressed) until the moment it moves off. Why do this on a empty street, surely that's what the handbrake is for? The dark saloon has its lights on and moves off, possibly prompted by the white van?

There are no lights on in the food shops/takeaways just beyond the car park on the right, so no indication that any of thr occupants of the vehicles had stopped to buy food/drink/cigarettes etc.

As the dark saloon exits the car park and crosses the pavement to join the road does it appears to make noticeably less progress with each time lapse photo. There is no through traffic with the large planters in the road, so is the dark saloon preparing to stop by the J/W with Clarendon Road?

I wonder if this is why the video was stopped at this point? Maybe it was to avoid identification by the public of the man with OD? Did OD get into the dark saloon? Was the white van also involved in some way, by driving off when OD and the male were level, as a signal to the dark saloon?

Possibly a little over-imaginative but just throwing it out there.

MOO

Last edited:

Croydon MPS
@MPSCroydon
·
Jul 28

#MISSING | Can you help us find 24-year-old Owami from #Grays in #Essex. She was last seen in the #Croydon area on Wednesday, 6 July. We’re very concerned for her welfare. If seen, please call police on 101 or Tweet
@MetCC and quote CAD2709/27JUL.

View attachment 357964
So I think this picture is from 39 cleredon* road , see screen shot from Google maps

I wonder if it was a mobile phone pic or a ring doorbell, looks to me to be a mobile phone from a car or low down angle to get the house in the background , the cables on the door are very distinctive along with the alarm .

Dropped pin

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-08-07-22-56-40-45_3d9111e2d3171bf4882369f490c087b4.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-08-07-22-56-40-45_3d9111e2d3171bf4882369f490c087b4.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 17
You say over imaginative but there could definitely be something in it. Is it too much of a coincidence for the white van to move off just as the people walk around the corner and moments later for the darker car to also move off?
I also notice some backward movement of the darker car at the very beginning of the video.
The darker car is parked so that the driver has a good view of the van but why would it need to act as a prompt?

You say over imaginative but there could definitely be something in it. Is it too much of a coincidence for the white van to move off just as the people walk around the corner and moments later for the darker car to also move off?
I also notice some backward movement of the darker car at the very beginning of the video.
The darker car is parked so that the driver has a good view of the van but why would it need to act as a prompt?

My instinct tells me it's odd and worthy of further investigation.

I could say that the dark saloon drove off without being believed to have sighted OD and the male.

However, the police have only put out a request for the driver of the white van to contact them.....not the dark saloon. Is this because they know the dark saloon was involved or have already eliminated it?

would it need to act as a prompt?

To move off to its holding position just before OD and the male are in range. Maybe OD was 'encouraged' to get into the car as she walked passed it.

I know the CCTV is there, but many crooks aren't smart enough to spot them!

I could say that the dark saloon drove off without being believed to have sighted OD and the male.

However, the police have only put out a request for the driver of the white van to contact them.....not the dark saloon. Is this because they know the dark saloon was involved or have already eliminated it?
As the police are trying to track down the driver of the white van I tend to think that it isn’t involved and the prompt theory seems quite complicated.
The darker car seems more suspicious to me, they have not mentioned tracing this but as you say it could have been eliminated. The fact that the police are thinking kidnapping is involved certainly could bring that vehicle into the equation in my opinion.

If this turns out to be the case then it's probable she was targeted.

In your experience is this quite rare to have 5 individuals involved in a crime of this nature?

Any speculation as to motive? I will understand if you don't want to speculate. I'm just shocked by the number of people who've been arrested.

In your experience is this quite rare to have 5 individuals involved in a crime of this nature?

Any speculation as to motive? I will understand if you don't want to speculate. I'm just shocked by the number of people who've been arrested.

To have more than one arrest is common.

This case, which is covered by WS, is one such that had 5 arrests that immediately springs to mind.

To have more than one arrest is common.

This case, which is covered by WS, is one such that had 5 arrests that immediately springs to mind.

Actually that's just prompted me to remember another case - Seath Jackson.

and another one, Channon and Chris!

(live report on link)

Good Morning Britain (@GMB) tweeted at 6:23 am on Mon, Aug 08, 2022:
Detectives investigating the disappearance of a 24 student nurse have now arrested 5 people - 2 on suspicion of murder and 3 on suspicion of kidnap.

The last confirmed sighting of Owami Davies was in the early hours of July 7.

@richardgaisford reports. https://t.co/RVJvvi5sDw
( )

It's fair to say that we don't know what is alleged to have happened yet.

I suspect that OD has disappeared after having been identified as possibly having had contact with a number of men before she disappeared. This may be evidence from CCTV and/or telecoms data etc.

Vehicles and/or addresses may have been identified and people with links to either may have been arrested on suspicion of involvement in OD's disappearance, i.e. kidnap and/or murder and possibly other offences (not reported).

Police would be failing in their duty if they did not investigate the men identified and either eliminate them or implicate them and secure any evidence available.

A number of arrests in such circumstances are not unusual. It does not imply that any of the individuals are involved in OD's disappearance.

Last edited:
When I first saw the photo my immediate thought was that it came from the suspects phone, as she looks upset & distressed, almost pleading, yet instead of helping her they took the picture. This is purely speculation on my part but I wonder if other photos from the suspects phone (if this is the case) have shown firstly the identity of the other suspects which is why there have been so many arrests so quickly and secondly I wonder if other photos on the phone explain why police starting to investigate it as murder rather just missing persons.

All MOO of course and just wanted to add how sorry I am for her family.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back