FL - FSU Law Professor Dan Markel Murdered by Hitmen #13 *1 guilty*

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, but then shouldn't it say Asian and not white?

Eric Liu
May 30, 2014
1659974683559.png

Eric Liu
May 30, 2014
View attachment 358416
Wow thanks for the good info Dotr.

Sorry if this has been posted already but this is the full Kawass post-sentencing interview. I just saw the full interview posted on YouTube - so far I had only seen the small snippet on Twitter (maybe you all have seen this already).

I haven't finished watching (will be back with more comments once I finish)...

Edited to add: I can't believe I'm going to say this but after listening to the full interview, I like Kawass more!! She does come off like a gossipy high schooler a little bit here but I think she's sort of venting a bit...and she feels an affinity with these reporters and they were all nice/respectful to her. I'm sure it's been hard for her representing KM in such a convoluted case - she doesn't seem that experienced. It also sounds like KM wasn't as helpful in her own defense - that she was somewhat checked out. Which doesn't surprise me. Whether that's due to covid, stress, tiredness or whatever, it doesn't seem like she helped them help her (just the feeling I got). It also sounds like her kids (now that they're older and understand more of what's going on) don't want to have a relationship with her. The fact that Kawass felt the need to send a message to KM's kids through this interview was quite telling. And she flat out acknowledges that they're not as communicative with their mom. Not surprising to be honest!

Kawass never says KM is innocent. Very abnormal.

Other notable things she said:

Jailhouse snitch was set to testify that Rivera told him he was lying! (I call bs on that!)
Garcia didnt' testify for fear of prison retaliation (again more bs)

What the heck does Charlie have on all of them that they didn't roll over to save their hides???

Last edited:
I believe DA will ultimately be charged, but predict it will be after CAs trial. After CA goes down guilty road, the path will be cleared to charge both Adelson women. WA locked up is justice served. She brought so much misery to Dan Markel’s life and was the single reason for his death. No mercy for this entitled, narcissistic, privileged person.
When I hear that Podcast recording of her reading her clever little short story and calling him her "latex husband" (late-ex-husband - get it? hee hee) it just makes my blood boil. I am also in the camp that thought she did not know about it at first. But, after the trials and hearing she went by Trescott and also drove out of her way to the ABC store... I really do think she was in on it. AND she was setting Jeffrey Lacasse up to be implicated. I think she actually hated Dan that much. I do not think she ever really loved him... she was looking for something huge and it turned out to be Tallahasee and huge was not coming any time soon. I think if he had lived he would have become incredibly prominent. I was a faithful reader of his law blog, so I knew of him and was shocked when he was murdered. I just think she wanted more sooner and she wanted it in the Miami area.

When I hear that Podcast recording of her reading her clever little short story and calling him her "latex husband" (late-ex-husband - get it? hee hee) it just makes my blood boil. I am also in the camp that thought she did not know about it at first. But, after the trials and hearing she went by Trescott and also drove out of her way to the ABC store... I really do think she was in on it. AND she was setting Jeffrey Lacasse up to be implicated. I think she actually hated Dan that much. I do not think she ever really loved him... she was looking for something huge and it turned out to be Tallahasee and huge was not coming any time soon. I think if he had lived he would have become incredibly prominent. I was a faithful reader of his law blog, so I knew of him and was shocked when he was murdered. I just think she wanted more sooner and she wanted it in the Miami area.
^^BBM

I didn't believe WA was in on the murder for hire until after watching the 5+ hours of WA at the police station.

IMO, the closer they got to releasing her vehicle and phone and letting WA leave the station, the more WA couldn't help herself show how she believed she was so much smarter than everybody else in the room.

The last 45 minutes of the video were very telling for me.

ETA: I also found WA very manipulating with the friends she contacted to collect her children from daycare and come by the TPD.

And nothing would have stopped me from contacting my parents immediately. Had investigators said no -- it would have been the end of my cooperation and I would have left the station. MOO

Eric Liu
May 30, 2014
View attachment 358416

To my knowledge, the US Census Bureau/US Justice Prison stats has not made any revisions where Hispanic ethnicity (and Filipinos for that matter) are no longer classed as "white."

In 2022, KM, SG, and LR -- are all classified as "White" in the prison data.

We already know that a quarter of state agencies do not include “Asian” as their own race category. However, in the US Census Bureau/Prison Statistics, the use of “Asian” includes Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander.

I'm confused why the race classification of KM by the DOC is even a concern here. Regardless of race, she's a convicted conspirator, solicitor, and murderer.

ETA: And no, Filipinos are not Pacific Islanders.

The Philippines is made up of more than 7,000 islands located in the Pacific. But according to the US Census Bureau, Pacific Islanders are people who either descend or are from the three regions of Pasifika–– Polynesia, Micronesia and Melanesia. The Philippines is not part of any of them. Sep 16, 2021

To my knowledge, the US Census Bureau/US Justice Prison stats has not made any revisions where Hispanic ethnicity (and Filipinos for that matter) are no longer classed as "white."

In 2022, KM, SG, and LR -- are all classified as "White" in the prison data.

We already know that a quarter of state agencies do not include “Asian” as their own race category. However, in the US Census Bureau/Prison Statistics, the use of “Asian” includes Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander.

I'm confused why the race classification of KM by the DOC is even a concern here. Regardless of race, she's a convicted conspirator, solicitor, and murderer.

ETA: And no, Filipinos are not Pacific Islanders.

The Philippines is made up of more than 7,000 islands located in the Pacific. But according to the US Census Bureau, Pacific Islanders are people who either descend or are from the three regions of Pasifika–– Polynesia, Micronesia and Melanesia. The Philippines is not part of any of them. Sep 16, 2021

Just providing a link in response to an earlier post #87.

Sorry if this has been posted already but this is the full Kawass post-sentencing interview. I just saw the full interview posted on YouTube - so far I had only seen the small snippet on Twitter (maybe you all have seen this already).

Edited to add: I can't believe I'm going to say this but after listening to the full interview, I like Kawass more!! She does come off like a gossipy high schooler a little bit here but I think she's sort of venting a bit...and she feels an affinity with these reporters and they were all nice/respectful to her. I'm sure it's been hard for her representing KM in such a convoluted case - she doesn't seem that experienced. It also sounds like KM wasn't as helpful in her own defense - that she was somewhat checked out. Which doesn't surprise me. Whether that's due to covid, stress, tiredness or whatever, it doesn't seem like she helped them help her (just the feeling I got). It also sounds like her kids (now that they're older and understand more of what's going on) don't want to have a relationship with her. The fact that Kawass felt the need to send a message to KM's kids through this interview was quite telling. And she flat out acknowledges that they're not as communicative with their mom. Not surprising to be honest!

Jailhouse snitch was set to testify that Rivera told him he was lying! (I call bs on that!)

What the heck does Charlie have on all of them that they didn't roll over to save their hides???
i find KAWASS ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING !!! I CANT BELIEVE SHE HAD THE HUTZPAH TO REPEAT THE LIE ABOUT HOW KATIE THINKS ABOUT MARKEL'S KIDS EVERY DAY. KAWASS IS IMMORAL AND DUMB - A VERY BAD COMBO.

The entire trial she kept professing on social media how KM was innocent. She’s completely changed her tune on that.

Re post. rbbm.
By Julie Montanaro
Oct. 5, 2020
''Dan Markel’s family joined prosecutors Friday in asking a judge to deny Magbanua’s pre-trial release request.
“The upcoming retrial of Ms. Magbanua is an important step on the path to justice for Dan, his family, countless friends, colleagues, and loved ones who continue to mourn him,” the family’s attorney wrote in a letter to Circuit Judge Robert Wheeler.

Wheeler took over the case after Judge James Hankinson’s retirement this summer.

Markel’s family laid out their concerns in a four-page letter and asked for the opportunity to be heard if the judge schedules a hearing on the issue.

“There is a significant risk that she would flee, attempt to influence witness testimony or otherwise tamper with trial evidence, and/or conspire with or be influenced by members of the Adelson family,” family attorneys Orin Snyder and Matthew Benjamin wrote.''

And when you realize this was a mere ten months since he was murdered and no resolution to the case whatsoever, this is even more (to quote Jeffrey LaCasse) chilling. The fact that she could be so openly glib about this that early on, well it almost comes off like she's celebrating (without the vomiting part).

I put out a request to one of the podcasts that has had colleagues of Markel on as guests. Since his entire scholarly work seemed focused on crime and punishment and he called himself a retributivist (new word to me), I would love to hear from people familiar with his work how it would translate to the consequences of these crimes. It's been mentioned that he wrote a paper--that is apparently above the heads of most of us laypeople--that focused on family dynamics with crime or something, it seems like he had some clear ideas about retribution for exactly the type of crimes he was the victim of.

Just putting it out there again if anyone reading has anything to weigh in on this. I think it would be one way to understand him better and it is a rare thing to be able to understand pretty clearly what a crime victim would want in sentencing for their own perpetrators.

The entire trial she kept professing on social media how KM was innocent. She’s completely changed her tune on that.
Plus her militant demeanor about how her client was wrongfully charged, turned in to thanking the jury for their hard work convicting her client. Very weird. It felt like she was almost relieved with the conclusion of this trial. Was her pre-verdict behavior all performative? Weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong