Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni, 16, missing from a large party @ Prosser Family Campground, car not found, Truckee, 6 Aug 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have zero issue with law enforcement treating this as an abduction, my point is that there is almost no chance that this is in fact an abduction.
I don't know I have heard of Water + Alcohol + Vehicle many times too. I showed up here because I just figured it probably wasn't a runaway after all of that. So the statistics might be with you, I just prefer to hope she's alive. For now at least.

Agreed, especially if it was a newer model iPhone. But her friend talked about both of them charging their phones in Kiely's car, which means her phone must have been low on battery to begin with.

So her phone could have been low enough that it already had low battery capacity, or it was a model that was susceptible to water intrusion.
They charged both phones? Must have been there a little while.

<modsnip>

Anyway, I haven’t seen anyone say they think that’s what has occurred here. The point is that dangerous people do dangerous things in places we can’t see — people who drive dark, empty mountain roads late at night.

I’m still expecting them to find the car submerged in water, as most seem to be. But LE is considering other scenarios I’m sure, even if unlikely.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be fair though, the sheriff’s office itself is who initially called this an abduction investigation yesterday. That designation didn’t come from friends or family.

Edited- looking back through MSM, seems abduction wording came from the sheriff’s office Sunday evening, not Monday.
We heard from Nevada County, Placer County, and the FBI today and it follows that abduction could not be ruled out on Sunday.

However, what the group confirmed on this date is that there is no evidence between the cooperative to suggest an abduction.

While they were very clear that nothing is off the table but it seems to me that search and rescue authorities have turned their focus toward the water.

We know that when FBI joined the investigative team, the investigation had a big boost with GPS and cellphone data not typically shared with the public other than confirming the last communication by KS was 8/6 at 12:33 AM.

Okay, I know I am just hyper focusing on details that may not matter. But the fact that SS has changed her story over and over bothers me. In this interview she says she the last person to have talked to her.

How does she know she didn't talk to a dozen other people after that?

Obviously LE is letting her take an active roll so maybe her overall testimony to them has stayed the same. I just hate when story details change from conversation to conversation.

I think it is important to assume positive intent in statements from her friends and family. Please understand everyone in our community is hoping Kiely is found alive. Many people aren't looking at what is "statistically most likely" but are clinging to any hope they can muster.

The logic: we know Kiely would not run away. Therefore, family and close friends (including Sami) are holding onto the hope that she was abducted because that at least means she could still be alive. Her friends no doubt feel guilty for leaving her and god knows if Kiely is found dead from a crash, all her friends will feel even more horrendous guilt.

So if you read Sami's statements in that context, you will see how she's trying to focus on ways Kiely could still be alive and encouraging everyone everywhere to keep hoping and searching far and wide. I think that is a natural human response. No one close to this wants to give up hope and assume she is dead in a crash somewhere.

ETA: LE saying it **could** be an abduction justifies more resources being dedicated to the search. Our community is close-knit and people (including local LE) will keep doing everything we can to maximize search efforts.

Last edited:
Thanks for the key highlights...I put together a brief timeline of events that night...it may not directly correlate or impact what happened, but does give some perspective.

9pm: Samantha says she arrives at party, noting Kiely arrived about an hour later.

10pm: Kiely arrives at party (per Samantha).

11pm: Samantha and Kiely meet in Kiely's car to charge phones and discuss ride home. There's no mention of camping / staying the night as previously mentioned in other reports. Did that change because more people had arrived than anticipated?

11pm - 12:25am: Sometime during this time period, Samantha observes Kiely intoxicated and decides to find another ride home. Kiely appears fine / or at least Samantha isn't concerned @ 11pm, so her intoxication level greatly increases in the next hour.

12:25am: Kiely and Samantha say good-bye (in person)

12:36am: Kiely calls Samantha...appears to be last known phone call.
Timeline from earlier in the case.

I'm sure SS had been drinking too, so how she can remember all these times with such minute-by-minute accuracy is beyond me.

Yes, SS's cellphone will have the call times in/out, but certainly not the times she saw Kiely or spoke to her.

SS should've been enjoying the party and chilling out, but it sounds like she spent most of the party looking at her watch.

MOO.
Staring at her phone, more likely.

It doesn't surprise me that a teen would have times pretty well nailed down, given how glued they are to their screens.

This case doesn't strike me as being much of a mystery. Young, inexperienced, apparently impaired teen driver and vehicle are reportedly last seen leaving a party in an area surrounded by a large body of deep water.
No reported sightings of either the girl or vehicle since = Water.

LE's focus should absolutely be on checking out both the water itself, and the areas where vehicles can enter the water. Because sadly, given the circumstances around her disappearance, the overwhelming likelihood here is that she drove off the road and ended up in the water.

Mom got a text at 11:30, she and the friend have convo at the car at 12:15 and then she calls friend again at 12:30, and phone shuts off at 12:36 right?
At a news conference Tuesday, Placer County Sheriff's Sgt. Scott Alford said her phone last sent data at 12:33 a.m. Saturday.

<modsnip - not an approved source> She tells her mom at 11:30 that she will be leaving the party at 12:15. This is also around the time that she and Sami talk the first time around and they talked about Kiely taking Sami home. This means from here to 12:25 that she had been drinking for another hour. This is why Sami was saying she was basically drunk as hell at 12:25 and opted to not go with her. Given that's almost an hour yeah I think she could def have got more drunk. Looking at this as well it seems only 10 mins passed by from when Sami left to when they talked again. As for the last sighting of her that's coming from this article:

"Kiely Rodni was last seen around 1:30 a.m. on August 6 near the Prosser Family Campground about 10 minutes north of Truckee. According to the sheriff's office, she was at a party "of more than 100 juveniles and young adults" before disappearing."

If it's true that she was there until 1:30 partying it up then she had to be completely obliviated by 1:30AM. Maybe she passed out drunk in her car and someone did something to her?

Last edited by a moderator:
Daily Mail reports that mini-subs are are being used at the Prosser boat ramp. I can confirm this is a photo of the boat ramp. If the vehicle is down there, they will find it.

It's worth noting, because we had higher than average snowfall last winter plus recent rainstorms, Prosser water levels are still high--high enough that the pavement goes directly to the water (unlike what older google maps satellite photos show).

Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 4.03.36 PM.png

Last edited:
I think it is important to assume positive intent in statements from her friends and family. Please understand everyone in our community is hoping Kiely is found alive. Many people aren't looking at what is "statistically most likely" but are clinging to any hope they can muster.

The logic: we know Kiely would not run away. Therefore, family and close friends (including Sami) are holding onto the hope that she was abducted because that at least means she could still be alive. Her friends no doubt feel guilty for leaving her and god knows if Kiely is found dead from a crash, all her friends will feel even more horrendous guilt.

So if you read Sami's statements in that context, you will see how she's trying to focus on ways Kiely could still be alive and encouraging everyone everywhere to keep hoping and searching far and wide. I think that is a natural human response. No one close to this wants to give up hope and assume she is dead in a crash somewhere.

ETA: LE saying it **could** be an abduction justifies more resources being dedicated to the search. Our community is close-knit and people (including local LE) will keep doing everything we can to maximize search efforts.
Maintaining hope is absolutely what friends and family should be doing....

This site can be tough for people that are close to the missing person or their immediate community, and posts here can come off as cold, harsh, and judgemental (the nature of statistics) but know that we are just trying to get to the bottom of it, often which is based on what we've seen and learned here over many cases / years...questioning the actions of those close to the situation is unfortunately usually part of that process.

LE and the community seem to be doing everything right so far...

We all also hope for a positive outcome...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MomTuTu