Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni Missing From Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hoping they looked to see where her phone pinged last.
Oh, I'm sure that they did. However, the ping is only going to show you which tower the phone tried to connect to, which could be miles away from the phones actual location.

The "Find my iPhone" app would provide much better location data. Someone said that it will show the phones location, regardless of it being turned on, off, or the battery dying. If that's true, then her phone is still at the campsite.

So now 70 people were at this party? I thought it was between 200-300?

I don’t know what’s fact or fiction anymore.
exactly, last night I heard 200-300 I mean that is a huge gap from 70. Sometimes initial information can be just crap info that confuses the rest of us. I rather have them just state they are unsure and are looking into it and will release details when they are sure they have better intel

You are welcome. The group here has a ton of experience with these type of missing persons cases... so the questions and thoughts that have been asked has been very enlightening and educational for me. Like everyone here... I hope there is some kind of break through with insight or information today. Keeping my fingers crossed....

I can’t really tell from the online maps so I have a question you may or may not be able to answer. If this party had 200-300 people and lest say everyone came with a friend, is there parking for 100-150 cars at the campsite?

Is there big open areas to park? Do you think you would need to walk any distance? How far away from a party would you need to park to get there?

Just wondering about possibly getting disoriented and then confused when driving away from the party.

One theory on how a single individual could have taken her vehicle and left their own, but still picked their own vehicle up without any help from anyone else….

Someone drives a truck to party.
They take her car (and her) to another location.
They ride a dirt bike back to truck and load it into truck.
Drive truck with bike back home.

A lot of people ride dirt bikes on those OHV trails… a lot of the same people that 4x4 on them.

Just wanted to say it is possible one person could accomplish this and pick up their vehicle without help.

I wonder if anyone was seen leaving early AM with a dirt bike loaded in a truck.

Full list of 6 FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers in Truckee, CA

6 towers in the area.

How GPS, Cell Tower and Wi-Fi triangulation help in tracking location?

Snipped

Cell Tower Triangulation

Cell tower triangulation is another technique widely used to identify the location of the phone/device. A cell phone signal may be picked up by three or more cell towers enabling the triangulation to work. So when a triangulation happens – with the point of overlap of three signals, it is possible to estimate the location of the cell phone based on its distance from the three towers.

I live in the same county, and I just received an automated phone call encouraging people to call the anonymous tip line with information about her disappearance. It included her full physical description, as well as her vehicle.

Edit: also received a text from Placer County Sheriff's Office with a link to a "Regional Emergency Alert" with the same physical description of her and her vehicle. I don't recall ever getting these types of communication before so I'm glad they were able to make this happen.

Hoping they looked to see where her phone pinged last.
I was thinking of the same thing and whether the Google app "Find My Device" or the iPhone app "Find my iPhone" can differentiate between a phone that is simply turned off and one that is out of service due to submersion in water.

Last edited:
I live in the same county, and I just received an automated phone call encouraging people to call the anonymous tip line with information about her disappearance. It included her full physical description, as well as her vehicle.

Edit: also received a text from Placer County Sheriff's Office with a link to a "Regional Emergency Alert" with the same physical description of her and her vehicle. I don't recall ever getting these types of communication before so I'm glad they were able to make this happen.
I must say LE is really doing the best they can. It's admirable and it makes me happy. Silently wishing LE in other states and counties did all this in missing cases. I can name a few cases of young people who went missing where LE totally let down the MP and family or didn't act upon it in an early stage or took it seriously and still doing nothing.

Or Kiely went off the road, and the vehicle is hidden and not yet found. There are many such examples after extensive searches. I earlier pointed out one from last year, where the mountain road the couple took was known. Massive search. But it was a local guy with a drone who eventually found the vehicle.

I remember reading about a case where a daughter,maybe even two daughters I'm not sure until I find it, had gone missing one night after a night out,they never found any trace for years,a really long time passed and then the car was discovered crashed into undergrowth that had been cleared. The Dad had never stopped searching for his daughter and in the end it turned out he had driven past her car and her body almost daily for years. It was 20 years or more. A devastating story.
I am trying to find an article on it now.

For the locals -- along the stretch of I-80 between Truckee and Reno, maybe in the Verdi area or near the state line, I recall seeing old mining infrastructure up against the canyon walls. I've never taken any of those exits except perhaps to swing a U-ey or for a potty or snack break right off the freeway. Can someone say whether or not those old mine areas are vehicle accessible and, if so, do local kids tend to go there to hang out? TIA

AND as per the video linked above by BoH THERE is NO current BOYFRIEND...she's single...& a reminder she is only 16.

FWIW.

ETA: 18mm in the interview = interesting discussion tho off limits for discussion here unless a mod will approve...

(Mod has been alerted)

Thanks for asking tarabull.

As with any source, if a known rumor is being discussed at an approved source , it is still not allowed for discussion at Websleuths.

I remember reading about a case where a daughter,maybe even two daughters I'm not sure until I find it, had gone missing one night after a night out,they never found any trace for years,a really long time passed and then the car was discovered crashed into undergrowth that had been cleared. The Dad had never stopped searching for his daughter and in the end it turned out he had driven past her car and her body almost daily for years. It was 20 years or more. A devastating story.
I am trying to find an article on it now.
Here’s an article just posted about a dive team finding two cars. One from May 2008 where the guy left an IHOP and was never seen again... until today. I tried to find their names here but no luck.

N974HP California Highway Patrol Helicopter around Donner Memorial Park, FWIW. May not be anything significant. Now circling south of Truckee.

Path began at Elders Corner, went straight over mountainous area.

Pretty green helicopter (N911WL) around Donner Memorial State Park.

JMVHO.

Last edited:
I can’t really tell from the online maps so I have a question you may or may not be able to answer. If this party had 200-300 people and lest say everyone came with a friend, is there parking for 100-150 cars at the campsite?

Is there big open areas to park? Do you think you would need to walk any distance? How far away from a party would you need to park to get there?

Just wondering about possibly getting disoriented and then confused when driving away from the party.
I don't believe there is enough room to park 100-150 cars at either "The Sanctuary" or the Spot closer to the water. Between the 2 spots, then maybe. I *personally" believe there is somewhat of an over exaggeration of the number of people there. At our largest local HS, there were ~125 in my daughters graduating class. Definitely not everyone goes to these parties. Maybe 50 cars at The Sanctuary and 75-100 cars at the other spot? But they would have to be pretty organized in how they parked in my opinion.

The single dirt road in/out to both spots (which the FBI agents and I discussed), would have been busy.... to either spot. On a previous map I shared, it's the redline.

Maybe throughout the night there could have been 200-300 kids filtering in and out (which is what my daughter is hearing), but not all at once. If anything, she has heard that local kids showed up... realized they didn't know as many people and got a "strange vibe", and took off relatively shortly after.

For the locals -- along the stretch of I-80 between Truckee and Reno, maybe in the Verdi area or near the state line, I recall seeing old mining infrastructure up against the canyon walls. I've never taken any of those exits except perhaps to swing a U-ey or for a potty or snack break right off the freeway. Can someone say whether or not those old mine areas are vehicle accessible and, if so, do local kids tend to go there to hang out? TIA

I am not sure I know what you are referring to... maybe buildings where the Truckee River water is diverted for some of the flumes and canals ie Steamboat Ditch in Reno? Either way, I haven't heard of Truckee kids heading down there. At least for my daughters, they tended to stay more local. Hope that helps.

N974HP California Highway Patrol Helicopter around Donner Memorial Park, FWIW. May not be anything significant. Now circling south of Truckee.

Path began at Elders Corner, went straight over mountainous area.

Pretty green helicopter (N911WL) around Donner Memorial State Park.

JMVHO.

A rock @ Donner is inscribed with the quote "No one knows the strength of kindred love until it is tried."

JUST an observation...fwiw

ETA: the quote is by Elizabeth Keegan, 12 years old, 1852

Last edited:

There would be far less vehicles because most often they come in carloads. Example: 4 people in one car.

It would be really helpful to get clarification about the iPhone location/history.

"August 6, 8 a.m. - Kiely's Mother woke up not knowing where her daughter was. She checked Kiely's phone location and it stated her last location was at the Prosser Campground. She called Kiely's best friend who said she left the party early and was supposed to meet at a Starbucks to go camping at 9 a.m. Kiely's friends go to the Prosser Campground and did not find Kiely or her car."

At 8 am Kiely's mom used location services to find Kiely's phone, which showed the phone at Prosser Campground. This means location services on Kiely's phone was enabled and the phone was trackable, at least up until the party.

Question: (1) When mom used location services to track the phone at 8 am did the phone pop up at its CURRENT location? As in, the phone was at Prosser Campground at 8 am when mom looked for it?

OR - (2) Did the phone NOT appear when mom used location services and she had to go into location HISTORY to find it?

If (1), the phone was still at Prosser at 8 am. If (2) the phone location service was either deliberately turned off AT the campground leaving Prosser as its last trackable location, or the phone was smashed or submerged very, very near the campground.

*Note: Location services on iPhones works whether the phone is On or Off, even if the battery is dead. To disable it, you have to go into the settings.

IMO

Link to quoted text:

Re: Cell Phone
I wasn’t sure what exactly was considered a ping, so after searching online and getting really confused, I realized the guy I sleep next to every night is Apple/Android certified. Duh!

Here are the circumstances that could cause a phone to not be located (dead, off, or other terminology used all mean the same thing…they cannot tell why from the data they have):

1. The phone was powered off manually
2. The phone battery died
3. Airplane mode was enabled (disabling cellular/WiFi/Bluetooth)
4. The phone was damaged/destroyed to the point it is no longer operable
5. The phone is in a location where there is absolutely no cell service or WiFi available.
6. Purposeful disruption of signal (signal jammer, etc.)

There are many articles on internet that will say your phone can be “tracked” in several of the above circumstances. You have to read deep into them to see, they are referring to the fact that your phone will track the location and store it internally until service restored. It will not transmit this information until there is some form of communication via cell signal, WiFi or Bluetooth.

Additionally, disabling location services only keeps apps and FindMy service from using the information. Cell carriers still ping the phone. This is to related to how they provide service from multiple towers, etc. The carrier is the only source of this information in this circumstance.

Sources for reference:
Gadgets Now
TechwithTech

I have been wondering about the phone too. So odd that the last location of it as at the campground. The thing about it dying though doesn't make sense to me because it was said that Kiely and Sami charged their phones around 11:30ish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie