Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni Missing From Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not so sure. 250+ people, dark conditions, intoxication. Who is actually paying attention to any sort of detail? And if they did hear a car leave, why would they even be suspicious or look.

Just trying to think like an intoxicated teen...
She texted her Mom at 11:30 saying she would be home by 12:15 so she must have been getting ready to leave.
By several accounts Kiely was rather gregariously- highly socially smilingly greeting and talking to partygoers in general. Weaving in and out and around the crowd. Back and forth to her car or tree.
She was somehow and to some degree intoxicated and importantly, virtually alone. She was highly visible. The friend she went there with reportedly left within 30 minutes. Her encounters with SS sound limited and somewhat random.
I seriously doubt there were other impaired unaccompanied minors, especially girls left to their own defenses out there. She was very obvious and vulnerable.
At the same time IMO it is not a stretch to imagine her out at her car alone and a lone wolf taking control.
There was a very detailed map of the Prosser Family Campground at it’s main website but the link now leads to a Sorry not available page. I know many maps were posted on the first thread but I never saw that detailed map there.
Is that so called Sanctuary site at the Prosser Family Ranch campsite? It is the most isolated campsite, no RV no electric. It’s next to the staging site for OHV’s.

Last edited:
To those who know Flightradar24, is it normal for helicopters to not show up in playback?

We have been getting low altitude flyovers by a blue helicopter for last 15 minutes in Sierra Meadows, yet no air traffic whatsoever shows up on Flightradar24 playback for this time.

I’m hopeful they are searching neighborhoods now, but seems odd at dusk.

To those who know Flightradar24, is it normal for helicopters to not show up in playback?

We have been getting low altitude flyovers by a blue helicopter for last 15 minutes in Sierra Meadows, yet no air traffic whatsoever shows up on Flightradar24 playback for this time.

Yeah, I Just checked and do not see any. It is possible that it has its transponder turned off, and some helicopters may not be adequately equipped, though most are. JMO

FlightRadar and similar websites use several sources for aircraft detection, most commonly they use ADS-B. Not all General Aviation aircraft, to which helicopters would count normally, are equipped with transponders that are capable of emitting ADS-B data, so they would not show via regular means on FlightRadar.

Last edited:
What if there is legitimately no further information for anyone to bring up? If she had an accident on her way home, there is nothing anyone at the party could say that would help.
True..... I have slipped out of many parties, and just left.
If I had been in an accident on way home, nobody could say they saw me leave, so there is that.
However.... with that many people there supposedly at this party, someone must have seen her....but who knows???
The parties I left were a lot smaller groups of people.

We get a lot of non tracked helicopters here.
I think it’s because they didn’t file a flight plan as it’s low altitude fire surveillance work.

Yeah, I Just checked and do not see any. It is possible that it has its transponder turned off, and some helicopters may not be adequately equipped, though most are . JMO

FlightRadar and similar websites use several sources for aircraft detection, most commonly they use ADS-B. Not all General Aviation aircraft, to which helicopters would count normally, are equipped with transponders that are capable of emitting ADS-B data, so they would not show via regular means on FlightRadar.

We get a lot of non tracked helicopters here.
I think it’s because they didn’t file a flight plan as it’s low altitude fire surveillance work.

Thank you both. I’ve never really paid attention to Flightradar24 until this week so lots to learn.

However.... with that many people there supposedly at this party, someone must have seen her....but who knows???
The parties I left were a lot smaller groups of people.
Your post made me realize I too have done the same thing on many occasions. Not recently, but especially when I was younger.. of course I realize now how risky that behavior was, but I was known to wander home if I was done with a party before my friends, mainly in college. I know I scared my friends more than once and now realize how stupid that was… but thankfully I was very lucky.
As for the quoted portion- I honestly think a bigger group would make it easier for her to slip away (alone or accompanied by someone else) without anyone noticing, because the activity of the party would certainly not notice 1 or 2 people slipping away in the pitch black, or even driving away in cars. Obviously we know (or assume) other partygoers (SS and her ride at least) were leaving the party around the same time, so another car leaving wouldn’t raise alarms or cause anyone to notice.

Attachments

• 1027589F-AF2F-4F4B-9806-2A3C56232838.png
    1027589F-AF2F-4F4B-9806-2A3C56232838.png
    389.1 KB · Views: 9
Yes that is the Plum Fire. Just 12 acres and 4 hours old. calfire is doing a great job stopping it.

You can track these fires on the Watch Duty iPhone app. A lot of us in Truckee track fires in the vicinity for preparedness reasons.
Thanks, I didn’t know about the plum fire. Maybe I’ll delete…

For me, one of the biggest pieces of evidence that has stuck with me is the fact that her cell phone stopped pinging at 12:30, I think it was (and other people in this thread have explained that a dead battery or a cell phone being turned off wouldn't stop it from pinging).

But what would happen if she were in, say the trunk of a car? I apologize if the suggestion is upsetting - but one of the reasons I've been convinced she ended up in water is because of the cell phone issue. And I've been thinking of other alternatives where that specific fact would still fit.

If she were trying to leave (or had left) the campground, and had been abducted and put in the trunk of the car, would that have cut off contact from her phone?

(I apologize if this has been discussed - i have tried to keep up with all the posts in the thread - but there are a lot!).

For me, one of the biggest pieces of evidence that has stuck with me is the fact that her cell phone stopped pinging at 12:30, I think it was (and other people in this thread have explained that a dead battery or a cell phone being turned off wouldn't stop it from pinging).

But what would happen if she were in, say the trunk of a car? I apologize if the suggestion is upsetting - but one of the reasons I've been convinced she ended up in water is because of the cell phone issue. And I've been thinking of other alternatives where that specific fact would still fit.

If she were trying to leave (or had left) the campground, and had been abducted and put in the trunk of the car, would that have cut off contact from her phone?

(I apologize if this has been discussed - i have tried to keep up with all the posts in the thread - but there are a lot!).
The Honda CRV does not have a trunk.

ETA: But a cell phone will work in a trunk as well as it does anywhere else in the car.

Welp. Then there’s this?!

@Runin530mtns @truckeelife

I very much appreciate your local expertise regarding this case.

This kind of lifestyle is extremely foreign to me. Here in NYC of course kids have all kinds of parties, but not rural gatherings in woods and mountains, with headlights as the main light source.

I'm 64 now with three grandchildren, but even as a teen I was not a partier---I'm more the bookish type. My daughter was a partier, though, and did a lot of things that I truly did not know about until she told me when she became a mom. We didn't have cell phones or cameras on every corner then, and she was a good liar.

My thinking is that Kiely's lifestyle, while having a lot in common with teens everywhere, was also unique in the sense that she lived in a very isolated lodge. I imagine she was given a lot of independence, since she was already driving cars and snowmobiles on her own on those roads.

It doesn't seem like her parents were helicopter parents like I was, because I'd never go to sleep until my daughter came home, and I'd check with all the parents before I let her go to a party. (Of course it turned out that some of the parents I believed I was speaking to on the phone were actually older sisters and brothers covering for her).

It's my feeling that her mother really didn't know the degree of illicit activities that were planned for this party. My heart just hurts so much for her family.

I know what you’ve spoken about are just theories based on local talk, but if it’s true that something tragic happened at an after-party, I cannot imagine how teenagers would dispose of a body and nobody would ever tell. If that theory pans out, I feel that someone would break.

I joined WS in December 2019, because every now and then I searched online for any updates about my friends Mitch and Bonnie, and google led me to Websleuths. They disappeared in 1973 at ages 15 and 16, and still haven’t been found.

I’m hoping that with today’s technology, there will be some kind of trace somewhere to locate Kiely, or if there was an accident or foul play, someone will talk.

I vacillate continually between thinking she was abducted, she drowned due to drunk driving, or something tragic and substance-related happened to her.

The best case scenario would be if she was rebelling and ran away, and then turns up. But that’s what we thought happened to Mitch and Bonnie in 1973, and we were so wrong.
I agree with you that if the theory proves true that people will likely break. And that that the mom did not know the full extent of drug use her daughter was exposed to. Still hoping for a happier ending for Kiely.

So very sorry you’ve been left not knowing what happened to Mitch and Bonnie. Such a horrible mystery to have to live with. I think that’s why many of us are drawn to trying to help when we can.

A phone being shut off or the battery dying (and it powering down), will prevent a phone from pinging. What usually happens (from following lots of murder cases on here), is that the phone will ping one final time, giving authorities that last known location.

Newer model iPhones do have a feature where your phone can be located when powered down, which requires someone with an Apple device to travel near your missing device (you do have to opt into this in your settings).

ETA: We don't know the model of device (as far as I know), nor do we know how long it would survive in water. Newer model phones can typically be submerged for much longer than devices in the past, which would be damaged within seconds.

Her friend said that they went back to Kiely's car to charge their phones at one point, so there's a decent chance she didn't have much battery to begin with.

Welp. Then there’s this?!
Fascinating. There was something hanging in between the helicopter landing skids. Don’t know how that would help give them probable cause to search a home in this situation… unless it somehow spotted someone clearly tied to a chair? But what are the odds of that….

Yeah, I Just checked and do not see any. It is possible that it has its transponder turned off, and some helicopters may not be adequately equipped, though most are. JMO

I was just going to post exactly what SteveP wrote, above. Except that he is smarter.

It all depends on the transponder frequencies that the various tracker websites use. And whether the flight is blocking them or not. And sometimes the terrain will block reception. I've seen that happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname