Alec Baldwin fired prop gun, killing 1 on movie set, Oct 2021 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the administrative complaint filed by the New Mexico Environment Department regarding the shooting. Some interesting details in here:

From ur link:

At the time, the Sheriff’s Office was actively investigating the Site. After being denied the ability to inspect the Site by the Employer, Mr. Montoya left the premises.
———
Why denied?
——-

39. On October 21, 2021, Ms. Gutierrez-Reed loaded a .45 caliber Colt revolver for Mr. Baldwin with what she believed were dummy rounds, walked into the church, and handed the revolver to Mr. Halls. Ms. Gutierrez-Reed was under the impression that Mr. Halls would only be sitting in with the gun until Mr. Baldwin arrived inside the church. According to Ms. Gutierrez- Reed’s interview, she told Mr. Halls, “...just let me know when Alec gets here. And then that way I’ll go ahead and check it for him, and we can start the scene and everything.” Ms. Gutierrez- Reed left the church expecting Mr. Halls to notify her when Mr. Baldwin arrived so she could conduct a firearm safety check for Mr. Baldwin’s firearm. Shortly after Ms. Gutierrez-Reed left the church, Mr. Halls proceeded to hand the revolver to Alec Baldwin. Mr. Baldwin aimed the revolver in Halyna Hutchins and Joel Souza’s direction and a projectile was fired, striking Ms. Hutchins and Mr. Souza.

——-
Wow
———

Last edited:
From ur link:

At the time, the Sheriff’s Office was actively investigating the Site. After being denied the ability to inspect the Site by the Employer, Mr. Montoya left the premises.
———
Why denied?
——-

39. On October 21, 2021, Ms. Gutierrez-Reed loaded a .45 caliber Colt revolver for Mr. Baldwin with what she believed were dummy rounds, walked into the church, and handed the revolver to Mr. Halls. Ms. Gutierrez-Reed was under the impression that Mr. Halls would only be sitting in with the gun until Mr. Baldwin arrived inside the church. According to Ms. Gutierrez- Reed’s interview, she told Mr. Halls, “...just let me know when Alec gets here. And then that way I’ll go ahead and check it for him, and we can start the scene and everything.” Ms. Gutierrez- Reed left the church expecting Mr. Halls to notify her when Mr. Baldwin arrived so she could conduct a firearm safety check for Mr. Baldwin’s firearm. Shortly after Ms. Gutierrez-Reed left the church, Mr. Halls proceeded to hand the revolver to Alec Baldwin. Mr. Baldwin aimed the revolver in Halyna Hutchins and Joel Souza’s direction and a projectile was fired, striking Ms. Hutchins and Mr. Souza.

——-
Wow
———
This story seems to change every time I hear it.

Still no phone records???

From above linked article:

Juan Rios, a Sheriff’s Office spokesman, said the agency is now awaiting actor Alec Baldwin’s phone records to be reviewed. He said those records “are forthcoming.”

“Once the phone records are received and reviewed by detectives, the final Sheriff’s Office investigative case file will be forwarded to the District Attorney for review and final charging decisions,” Rios said.

and

Rios said the Sheriff’s Office is working with the Suffolk County Police Department in New York to get Baldwin’s phone records.

“Our detectives will need to then thoroughly review those phone records for evidentiary purposes,” Santa Fe County Sheriff Adan Mendoza said in a prepared statement.

So the next time AB claims cooperation with LE we'll know what he means....

jmho ymmv lrr

The gun used in the fatal shooting on the "Rust" movie set could not have been fired without pulling the trigger, according to an FBI forensic report obtained Friday by ABC News.
With the hammer de-cocked on a loaded chamber, the gun was able to detonate a primer "without a pull of the trigger when the hammer was struck directly," which is normal for this type of revolver, the report stated.

So was the hammer decocked? Or is there no way to know now?

With the hammer de-cocked on a loaded chamber, the gun was able to detonate a primer "without a pull of the trigger when the hammer was struck directly," which is normal for this type of revolver, the report stated.

So was the hammer decocked? Or is there no way to know?
RULED AN ACCIDENT
"....Review of available law enforcement reports showed no compelling demonstration that the firearm was intentionally loaded with live ammunition on set," the report stated. "Based on all available information, including the absence of obvious intent to cause harm or death, the manner of death is best classified as accident.”

The local district attorney has yet to make any charging decisions in the case. Detectives are awaiting phone records from Baldwin as part of their investigation, the sheriff's office said Thursday.

RULED AN ACCIDENT
"....Review of available law enforcement reports showed no compelling demonstration that the firearm was intentionally loaded with live ammunition on set," the report stated. "Based on all available information, including the absence of obvious intent to cause harm or death, the manner of death is best classified as accident.”

The local district attorney has yet to make any charging decisions in the case. Detectives are awaiting phone records from Baldwin as part of their investigation, the sheriff's office said Thursday.

NOT an attorney -- but with NO safety training & an accidental death, does this leave lots of room for a wrongful death suit? AB didn't participate in the training, Hall handed him the pistol without requiring the training....

I don't want to see this for the son -- but to end such reckless behavior.

jmho ymmv lrr

NOT an attorney -- but with NO safety training & an accidental death, does this leave lots of room for a wrongful death suit? AB didn't participate in the training, Hall handed him the pistol without requiring the training....

I don't want to see this for the son -- but to end such reckless behavior.

jmho ymmv lrr
Anyone can sue. Many lawsuits already are in the pipeline. An official ruling of accident is problematic to all causes of action in my mind but IANAL either.

There is no way to end reckless behavior IMO. If it could be eliminated by regulation or adherence to best practices, we wouldn't be talking about this case.

The main motivator would be doing things the right way to avoid reputation damage & potential financial liability for fines & civil suits.

The CYA here is monumental. Unfortunately, no one may ever have to take criminal responsibility for Halyna's death.

MOO

From the date this was reported last Oct, I personally never felt that this was a criminal act. AB did not shoot the weapon at AH to kill her. This was clearly an accident. However...negligence? There is much to ponder. Negligence was rampant on set, by many... as we have read via the reporting.

So was the hammer decocked? Or is there no way to know now?
It had to be cocked. And Baldwin pulled the trigger. Otherwise witness statements would have pointed out that he struck the hammer. Nobody said anything like that.

I'm guessing to fire a primer from a decocked hammer, you have to strike it with with an object, not just pushing on it with your thumb.

It seems to me that people involved are telling various versions to minimize their culpability and throw it on others.

I will wait for the book, maybe the movie. It seems like Halyna Hutchins had an amazing life, I would like to know more about her. And the tragic end of her life, hopefully, the movie ends with cuffs on someone, walking down a long hall.

“I didn’t pull the trigger,
the trigger wasn’t pulled”

“In December, Baldwin, who was in possession of the firearm on set, told ABC News that he did not fire the weapon. "The trigger wasn't pulled," Baldwin said. "I didn't pull the trigger."

Still no phone records???

From above linked article:

Juan Rios, a Sheriff’s Office spokesman, said the agency is now awaiting actor Alec Baldwin’s phone records to be reviewed. He said those records “are forthcoming.”

“Once the phone records are received and reviewed by detectives, the final Sheriff’s Office investigative case file will be forwarded to the District Attorney for review and final charging decisions,” Rios said.

and

Rios said the Sheriff’s Office is working with the Suffolk County Police Department in New York to get Baldwin’s phone records.

“Our detectives will need to then thoroughly review those phone records for evidentiary purposes,” Santa Fe County Sheriff Adan Mendoza said in a prepared statement.

So the next time AB claims cooperation with LE we'll know what he means....

jmho ymmv lrr
To me that seems like someone (the author of this article?) is trying to keep the pot stirred, keep it looking like AB is uncooperative, etc. It was reported back in January that the authorities were in possession of AB's phone. I would think the phone 'records' would come from the phone provider, by way of a warrant. I wouldn't think they'd rely on AB to provide phone records. So it seems it's on themselves if the phone records still aren't reviewed? Hate all the fake news, everywhere, not just in this case. imo.

From an article dated January 14, 2022:

The Santa Fe District Attorney's Office told ABC News Friday it now has the actor's cellphone.

To me that seems like someone (the author of this article?) is trying to keep the pot stirred, keep it looking like AB is uncooperative, etc. It was reported back in January that the authorities were in possession of AB's phone. I would think the phone 'records' would come from the phone provider, by way of a warrant. I wouldn't think they'd rely on AB to provide phone records. So it seems it's on themselves if the phone records still aren't reviewed? Hate all the fake news, everywhere, not just in this case. imo.

From an article dated January 14, 2022:

The Santa Fe District Attorney's Office told ABC News Friday it now has the actor's cellphone.

You are absolutely correct. It sounds like Alec still didn't turn over his phone and that is not true at all. That is not what is going on. Good catch deugirtni.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd