Anne Heche - 53 - dies after fiery car crash in Los Angeles August 5 2022

Sorry, I don't understand. You said "yes." Was something in my post wrong? Or did I not explain it well? I think we're saying the same thing. Can you clarify please?
I absolutely agreed with your post. Moreover, I added a personal story to support it. Sorry if there is something that sounds ambiguous.

My own heart is 100% dependent on my lungs. Without my lungs functioning my heart would cease to function. Does that mean my heart is beating artificially? Are the hearts of people with covid on vents beating artificially? The nuances of this are so weird to me. Is it being brain dead then that makes their heart beating artificial? Because if the heart had never yet cease to beat it seems so odd for it to be seen as artificial. We all currently have a heart requiring other things working for it to function.

My husband was a organ donor. They kept him alive until they completed the harvest but the death certificate showed his DOD when they called him brain dead the day before.
It must be state by state or things have changed. My husband was declared brain dead two days before his heart stopped. They harvested skin and corneas. That was many years ago. So I can definitely understand the legality of the way it was done in your case.

Has anyone read Anne’s book, Call Me Crazy? There is one left on Amazon for $499. There is no kindle version but Alibris has an e-book version of her book for sale.

Her mother Nancy Heche wrote a book, The Truth Comes Out, about her husband and family that has a kindle version on Amazon.

Anne’s sister Susan Bergman also wrote a book, Anonymity, about the family that is sold out on Amazon. There are a few print copies available on Alibris.

Has anyone read Anne’s book, Call Me Crazy? There is one left on Amazon for $499. There is no kindle version but Alibris has an e-book version of her book for sale.

Her mother Nancy Heche wrote a book, The Truth Comes Out, about her husband and family that has a kindle version on Amazon.

Anne’s sister Susan Bergman also wrote a book, Anonymity, about the family that is sold out on Amazon. There are a few print copies available on Alibris.

You can get it for a whole lot less on ebay. Cheapest sold was $5.51 (and that's not a misplaced decimal point. lol) Also note that they are going for more now than when the accident first happened.

Last edited:
My own heart is 100% dependent on my lungs. Without my lungs functioning my heart would cease to function. Does that mean my heart is beating artificially? Are the hearts of people with covid on vents beating artificially? The nuances of this are so weird to me. Is it being brain dead then that makes their heart beating artificial? Because if the heart had never yet cease to beat it seems so odd for it to be seen as artificial. We all currently have a heart requiring other things working for it to function.
I think so, regarding the mechanism of the beating heart. It's beating because the ventilator is forcing oxygen into their body.

JMO

Medically speaking, if you are brain dead, you can't breathe. Your heart will stop. The only reason it hasn't yet is because of the vent. There is no way Anne will ever wake up (even on a vent) because the brain is what controls whether you breathe, whether you're asleep or awake, it controls blinking, it controls what you hear, it controls speaking, it controls information processing. All these things are gone. There is no way she will do any of them again. There's no way she'll breathe. There is no way her heart will survive when her brain is dead. The brain controls every other organ in the body. COVID patients aren't on vents due to being brain dead. They're on vents due to lung injury. That's what the difference is.

Medically speaking, if you are brain dead, you can't breathe. Your heart will stop. The only reason it hasn't yet is because of the vent. There is no way Anne will ever wake up (even on a vent) because the brain is what controls whether you breathe, whether you're asleep or awake, it controls blinking, it controls what you hear, it controls speaking, it controls information processing. All these things are gone. There is no way she will do any of them again. There's no way she'll breathe. There is no way her heart will survive when her brain is dead. The brain controls every other organ in the body. COVID patients aren't on vents due to being brain dead. They're on vents due to lung injury. That's what the difference is.
Terri Schiavo
Karen Quinlan

Medically speaking, if you are brain dead, you can't breathe. Your heart will stop. The only reason it hasn't yet is because of the vent. There is no way Anne will ever wake up (even on a vent) because the brain is what control whether you breathe, whether you're asleep or awake, it controls blinking, it controls what you hear, it controls speaking, it controls information processing. All these things are gone. There is no way she will do any of them again. There's no way she'll breathe. There is no way her heart will survive when her brain is dead. The brain controls every other organ in the body. COVID patients aren't on vents due to being brain dead. They're on vents due to lung injury. That's what the difference is.
I know you are correct. But Anne's rep did initially say she was on a vent for a pulmonary injury. Of course, whether that was true or not, things can go downhill for anyone at any time. What I think was confusing-- or at least it was to me-- is that it was announced SO very quickly that she was expected to recover. After a wreck like that and fire, hearing that announcement so early was surprising to me. The eventual outcome wasn't, unfortunately, but it felt more unexpected given the early prognosis.
JMO

I honestly don't think I'd have a different opinion of Heche if that were the case. Others, maybe, but not me. I mulled that possibility over and the outcome for me is still the same.

I agree. Your comment reminds me of Portia’s plea to Shylock to show mercy (versus strict justice) to Antonio in Shakespeare’s “The Merchant of Venice” (Act 4, scene 1), which I memorized when I was a sophomore in high school many eons ago. I can still recite the first six lines. :)

The quality of mercy is not strained.
It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven
Upon the place beneath. It is twice blest:
It blesseth him that gives and him that takes.
'Tis mightiest in the mightiest; it becomes
The thronèd monarch better than his crown.
His scepter shows the force of temporal power,
The attribute to awe and majesty
Wherein doth sit the dread and fear of kings;
But mercy is above this sceptered sway.
It is enthronèd in the hearts of kings;
It is an attribute to God Himself;
And earthly power doth then show likest God's
When mercy seasons justice.

Can you say what today’s technologies are that are used to determine and verify brain death? IOW…… CT scans, brain scans, MRI’s…, or anything new?
And, Are they 100% fool proof? TIA. And thank you so much for weighing in here!

I honestly don't think I'd have a different opinion of Heche if that were the case. Others, maybe, but not me. I mulled that possibility over and the outcome for me is still the same.
I agree. It seems to me the poor lady was having a complete mental breakdown. Drugs or not. she was having a melt down, IMO.
It’s very tragic.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back