SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
The state is very concerned with keeping information sealed for some reason. I really don’t trust any of the players in this at all.

I’m not so sure the state cares so much about information being released. By all accounts they were prepared at the bond hearing to outline what they have against AM, but by waiving the bond Harpootlian prevented that from happening.

We have two homes, one is seasonal, and our insurance rates are only calculated based on replacement cost and risk factors, like proximity to water, fire risk, proximity to emergency services, and all of those other things that make a house more or less risky. The rates aren't different based on how much time we spend at either one. If we rented one, that would be an additional risk factor and our insurance rates would be higher.
Same here skigirl, and neither are rented out. But neither homes are seasonal. Our rates do not change with time spent at either. Jme fwiw.

<snipped>

Indictments in the case accuse Murdaugh of killing Maggie with a rifle and Paul with a shotgun. The indictments gave no motive. The lack of detailed information underscores the puzzling unknowns that have been part of the case since the killings.

Murdaugh’s trial on murder charges, which could begin as early as January, is expected to be one of the widely-watched trials in the state and nation in recent years.

However, the longer that defense attorneys have to wait for evidence to be turned over, the less time they have to prepare for a January trial date.

Alex Murdaugh’s lawyers want state’s evidence turned over in murder case

<snipped>

Indictments in the case accuse Murdaugh of killing Maggie with a rifle and Paul with a shotgun. The indictments gave no motive. The lack of detailed information underscores the puzzling unknowns that have been part of the case since the killings.

Murdaugh’s trial on murder charges, which could begin as early as January, is expected to be one of the widely-watched trials in the state and nation in recent years.

However, the longer that defense attorneys have to wait for evidence to be turned over, the less time they have to prepare for a January trial date.

Alex Murdaugh’s lawyers want state’s evidence turned over in murder case

The more they hesitate the better his grounds for appeal. They have arrested and charged him but still want to keep a grip on the information?

The more they hesitate the better his grounds for appeal. They have arrested and charged him but still want to keep a grip on the information?
These are merely allegations by an attorney who has been known to stretch the truth (putting it mildly). All good attorneys will claim that their client's "constitutional rights are being violated," etc.

If they have in fact violated a court order, the judge can remedy it before trial. This is one big nothingburger.

These are merely allegations by an attorney who has been known to stretch the truth (putting it mildly). All good attorneys will claim that their client's "constitutional rights are being violated," etc.

If they have in fact violated a court order, the judge can remedy it before trial. This is one big nothingburger.

No doubt there is some reason DH is putting on a show for some reason. It just seems like the state would be happy to turn the evidence over and dare him to defend it. This constant cloak of secrecy makes the whole thing stink.

No doubt there is some reason DH is putting on a show for some reason. It just seems like the state would be happy to turn the evidence over and dare him to defend it. This constant cloak of secrecy makes the whole thing stink.
So he's pushed for a speedy trial, which is a calculated move on his part. He wants the prosecution to give him reason to complain, and probably doesn't mind at all if trial winds up being delayed; he wants them on their heels.

I've followed a few cases recently where the defense has made similar claims, all of them either totally unfounded, or due to the staggering amount of evidence that needs to be turned over.

A case like this could generate gigabytes of evidence, which needs to be sorted, uploaded, and transmitted. Some of it may even require special software programs to access.

So until proven otherwise, I'm entirely unconcerned.

I don't know if I can post this. If not sorry to the mods.

The attorney for the Beach suit said he did not plan to include the driver of the boat because he did not believe that Paul had any assets. But a quick search on the Beaufort County Treasurer’s real and personal property tax bill lookup website reveals a living trust in Paul’s name for property at 13 and 14 Hand Drive in Port Royal. If this exists for Paul’s benefit, chances are there are other assets in the son’s name that are worth asking about.

In addition to the living trust for Paul, the Beaufort County Treasure website lists a multitude of Murdaugh holdings in that county. There is no doubt the Murdaughs have properties and assets in other areas of South Carolina and a good probability of holdings out of state. All of this needs to be part of the discovery in the Beach wrongful death case.

Paul’s father, Richard Alexander Murdaugh, is listed as affiliated with or as the owner of numerous businesses including Murdaugh Rental Center, Murdaugh Charters LLC, Redbeard LLC, Eclipse Landscape and Design LLC, Medical Consultants of the Lowcountry LLC, and of course the law firm Peters, Murdaugh, Parker, Eltzroth & Detrick.

Chances are he, his now deceased wife, and others in the Murdaugh family are involved in many more local businesses and real estate holdings that are not as easily identified.

Still, there is one major property that is hard to hide. The 460-acre family island where the fateful boat sojourn started that night, and where the group of six planned to stay overnight actually has approvals for 19 homes, which could significantly increase its value.

South Carolina’s criminal procedure rules require prosecutors to “respond to the defendant’s request for disclosure no later than thirty days after the request is made, or within such other time as may be ordered by the court.”

Why are we now past that deadline?

Court sources told me late Tuesday that judge Newman was still reviewing a motion related to the disclosure of the files – but declined to discuss what the motion entailed. The same court source indicated certain documents requested by defense attorneys remained under seal – meaning Newman must decide when and how to unseal them. Once again, this source declined to discuss the nature of those documents.

Also, as mentioned earlier, Newman must decide whether to assign a protective order to any of the files.

According to a media advisory from his spokeswoman Amanda Loveday, Harpootlian has scheduled a press conference for tomorrow morning (Wednesday, August 17, 2022) at 11:00 a.m. EDT to update reporters on the status of the case.

Specifically, Harpootlian will be discussing a “recent motion asking a court to order the State of South Carolina to comply with their obligations under court rules and case law to furnish discovery material.”

Harpootlian is also expected to take questions following his remarks.

Count on this news outlet to attend that press conference and provide our readers with the very latest developments …

O/T
At 66 I became a first time Grandmother yesterday. She is a cutie 8lbs7oz

South Carolina’s criminal procedure rules require prosecutors to “respond to the defendant’s request for disclosure no later than thirty days after the request is made, or within such other time as may be ordered by the court.”

Why are we now past that deadline?

Court sources told me late Tuesday that judge Newman was still reviewing a motion related to the disclosure of the files – but declined to discuss what the motion entailed. The same court source indicated certain documents requested by defense attorneys remained under seal – meaning Newman must decide when and how to unseal them. Once again, this source declined to discuss the nature of those documents.

Also, as mentioned earlier, Newman must decide whether to assign a protective order to any of the files.

According to a media advisory from his spokeswoman Amanda Loveday, Harpootlian has scheduled a press conference for tomorrow morning (Wednesday, August 17, 2022) at 11:00 a.m. EDT to update reporters on the status of the case.

Specifically, Harpootlian will be discussing a “recent motion asking a court to order the State of South Carolina to comply with their obligations under court rules and case law to furnish discovery material.”

Harpootlian is also expected to take questions following his remarks.

Count on this news outlet to attend that press conference and provide our readers with the very latest developments …

O/T
At 66 I became a first time Grandmother yesterday. She is a cutie 8lbs7oz
Oh this sounds like it's going to interesting.

Congrats to you EM :)

I don't know if I can post this. If not sorry to the mods.

The attorney for the Beach suit said he did not plan to include the driver of the boat because he did not believe that Paul had any assets. But a quick search on the Beaufort County Treasurer’s real and personal property tax bill lookup website reveals a living trust in Paul’s name for property at 13 and 14 Hand Drive in Port Royal. If this exists for Paul’s benefit, chances are there are other assets in the son’s name that are worth asking about.

In addition to the living trust for Paul, the Beaufort County Treasure website lists a multitude of Murdaugh holdings in that county. There is no doubt the Murdaughs have properties and assets in other areas of South Carolina and a good probability of holdings out of state. All of this needs to be part of the discovery in the Beach wrongful death case.

Paul’s father, Richard Alexander Murdaugh, is listed as affiliated with or as the owner of numerous businesses including Murdaugh Rental Center, Murdaugh Charters LLC, Redbeard LLC, Eclipse Landscape and Design LLC, Medical Consultants of the Lowcountry LLC, and of course the law firm Peters, Murdaugh, Parker, Eltzroth & Detrick.

Chances are he, his now deceased wife, and others in the Murdaugh family are involved in many more local businesses and real estate holdings that are not as easily identified.

Still, there is one major property that is hard to hide. The 460-acre family island where the fateful boat sojourn started that night, and where the group of six planned to stay overnight actually has approvals for 19 homes, which could significantly increase its value.
I would guess that SLED along with a few of the 'letter' agencies have tracked down the Murdaugh's assets extensively. I believe that's why it took so long to charge him with the murders, they had him sitting in jail on other charges while they investigated his complex financial holdings/ties.

The State was smart enough to know that DH would possibly ask for a speedy trial and they needed to be prepared, which I believe they fully are.

MOO

@AveryGWilks
Federal prosecutors have hit Russell Laffitte with a superseding indictment, adding one count of “misapplication of bank funds” to the five-count indictment a federal grand jury handed up against the ex-Palmetto State Bank CEO last month. On track for trial in November.

This is the new charge - that Laffitte issued Alex Murdaugh a $500K line of credit from the bank for “farming” when he knew the since-disbarred attorney would actually use that money to pay back a loan he’d taken (illegally, according to the indictment) from a client’s account.

Prosecutors also want Laffitte to cough up at least $400K in forfeiture

Attachments

• 5D759082-9CCE-450A-B0EE-FF35F7B23BDB.jpeg
    5D759082-9CCE-450A-B0EE-FF35F7B23BDB.jpeg
    56.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 148A43D9-EFE0-4B59-9E9C-C23C8F6E846D.jpeg
    148A43D9-EFE0-4B59-9E9C-C23C8F6E846D.jpeg
    82.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 97F5A049-F1A1-4300-8372-E1F452E7C791.jpeg
    97F5A049-F1A1-4300-8372-E1F452E7C791.jpeg
    89.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
It’s looking more and more like AM may be the first man that I’ve heard of in SC history to be afforded a private criminal trial.
DH has taken this case on for some reason; fame, recognition, or perhaps AM is very persuasive since they're such good friends from way back, IYKWIM.

I think it's a terrible move for him and his political wife, which makes me wonder even more what his motivation is.

MOO

It’s looking more and more like AM may be the first man that I’ve heard of in SC history to be afforded a private criminal trial.

He has been a criminal defense lawyer for decades, a very expensive one at that. I’d imagine this would be a good advertising. But as it stands, the state has leveled murder charges and currently have broken the law since this has went days longer that state law allows. It’s not only reasonable, but expected, that people will wonder what (or who) is being hidden.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong