Anne Heche - 53 - dies after fiery car crash in Los Angeles August 5 2022

We may have excellent mental health care but it's not that easy to come by. The pandemic really exacerbated the problem.

Since the first coronavirus case was confirmed in the United States more than a year ago, the number of people in need of mental health services has surged. But many say that they are languishing on waiting lists, making call after call only to be turned away, with affordable options tough to find. Providers, who have long been in short supply, are stretched thin.

“Never at any time in my practice have I had a five-person waiting list,” said Brooke Huminski, a psychotherapist and licensed independent clinical social worker in Providence, R.I., who specializes in treating people with eating disorders.

Dr. Gregory Scott Brown, the director of an outpatient psychiatry clinic in Austin, Texas, said he recently had to hire an additional nurse practitioner to help care for more patients. “I’m busier than ever and just don’t have room,” he said. “I’m full.”

“There’s always been more demand for services than there are mental health providers to provide them,” Dr. Wright said. “I think what the pandemic has done is really laid bare that discrepancy.”

In August, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention published a report which concluded that in late June, 40 percent of adults in the United States had been struggling with mental health or substance abuse issues, and rates of depression and anxiety had risen since 2019. (Gemmie's note - and that doesn't include children who weren't taking the 'no school in person' thing very well)

Full article with a lot of good info here: ‘Nobody Has Openings’: Mental Health Providers Struggle to Meet Demand (Published 2021)

I agree and it has been very hard for people already struggling with mental illness. The care and monitoring they require for medications is a lot more complex.

We may have excellent mental health care but it's not that easy to come by. The pandemic really exacerbated the problem.

Since the first coronavirus case was confirmed in the United States more than a year ago, the number of people in need of mental health services has surged. But many say that they are languishing on waiting lists, making call after call only to be turned away, with affordable options tough to find. Providers, who have long been in short supply, are stretched thin.
It's been over 2 1/2 years.

January 20, 2020
CDC reports the first laboratory-confirmed case of the 2019 Novel Coronavirus in the U.S. from samples taken on January 18 in Washington state and on the same day activates its Emergency Operations Center (EOC) to respond to the emerging outbreak.

January 20, 2020
CDC reports the first laboratory-confirmed case of the 2019 Novel Coronavirus in the U.S. from samples taken on January 18 in Washington state and on the same day activates its Emergency Operations Center (EOC) to respond to the emerging outbreak.
Yes. The last part of the link title says "(Published 2021)". It's an older article, but it doesn't mean there is no longer a problem for those seeking mental health help. I'd think (although I don't know for sure) that more time in the pandemic may likely mean more people are seeking help and having a hard time finding it. I don't think that's changed. MOO

I didn't know that Anne Heche had been in a remake of Hitchcock's thriller Psycho, but I can definitely picture her as Marian Crane. I've reserved the DVD at the library. I'm mostly familiar with Anne's performances in made-for-TV movies like Gracie's Choice, Silver Bells, and One Christmas Eve. I did see the Six Days, Seven Nights and could never figure out why Anne and her costar, Harrison Ford, made the choice to appear in the 1998 film. I also recall Anne competing on Dancing with the Stars.

I didn't know that Anne Heche had been in a remake of Hitchcock's thriller Psycho, but I can definitely picture her as Marian Crane. I've reserved the DVD at the library. I'm mostly familiar with Anne's performances in made-for-TV movies like Gracie's Choice, Silver Bells, and One Christmas Eve. I did see the Six Days, Seven Nights and could never figure out why Anne and her costar, Harrison Ford, made the choice to appear in the 1998 film. I also recall Anne competing on Dancing with the Stars.

She sure looks like she was having the time of her life. Huge smiles. It was nice to watch. Thank you for posting. I wasn't aware she was on DWTS.

January 20, 2020

And waiting lists are still huge. Kids in crisis are at the top of the triage list in my area, and there are so many. Intake appointments and screenings necessary to get the diagnoses, meds, treatment plans, etc, require a long wait. It doesn't matter if you have insurance and wealth. The system is overwhelmed, and you better have standing appointments already booked or prepare to wait--especially if you don't have good (or any) insurance.

The 911 call starts with a jarring observation: "A car just went through my neighbor's house."
In the frantic audio, the caller told dispatch that the car moved so fast, it's in the second room of the home. "Like 10 feet into the house," the caller said.
Later the caller told dispatch the car was on fire and the smoke was turning "really black," while others yelled in the background that someone was trapped in the car. Sirens blared in the background

Last edited:
EBFA77BB-5CA4-43D9-BEC9-8F7267C8B0EE.jpeg

54D3FB46-4001-425B-981A-8EA372EDFDC8.jpegFrom a borrowed copy of Anonymity by Susan Bergman

Susan describes how the three sisters dealt with the death of their father and brother. She said they played into the great hand that took first one then another and dared that hand. One sister did this by eating and purging. Notice what she says about how Anne dared the hand. Anne speeds: God wouldn’t dream of it, she says.

Unfortunately, if Anne dared the hand, this time, it was one time too many.

Last edited:
View attachment 360074

View attachment 360075From a borrowed copy of Anonymity by Susan Bergman

Susan describes how the three sisters dealt with the death of their father and brother. She said they played into the great hand that took first one then another and dared that hand. One sister did this by eating and purging. Notice what she says about how Anne dared the hand. Anne speeds: God wouldn’t dream of it, she says.

Hmmm, not sure what to make of this. Was it a biography?

The 911 call starts with a jarring observation: "A car just went through my neighbor's house."
In the frantic audio, the caller told dispatch that the car moved so fast, it's in the second room of the home. "Like 10 feet into the house," the caller said.
Later the caller told dispatch the car was on fire and the smoke was turning "really black," while others yelled in the background that someone was trapped in the car. Sirens blared in the background

The car was airborne so that adds strength to the hit.

You know, the wig factors in, in my opinion. Chromotherapy, some people are very responsive to colors. She wanted red, mood-elevating, wig. Had he had one, she’d probably be wearing it during the crash. As it was blue, she simply went through the motions…
There is a picture of her in the salon with the owner and the red wig between them. The picture of her in the car before the crash, you can see the red hairs of the wig in between the console and the passenger seat. These articles with these pictures are posted numerous times in the thread. Or am I missing something here?

0BD6DCBE-7A3C-4391-B325-16469F6C0968.jpeg

Susan Bergman published Anonymity in 1994. That is almost 30 years ago. She referred to the great hand taking both her father and brother and how the three sisters dealt with their grief by daring that hand. She didn’t write about Anne daring the hand by drinking or doing drugs. She wrote Anne dared the hand by speeding. Is this just a creepy coincidence or did she think Anne was doing a vehicular version of Russian roulette?

Last edited:
View attachment 360074

View attachment 360075From a borrowed copy of Anonymity by Susan Bergman

I don’t know, @Breezie. Anne’s perception of God appears less religious and more grandiose, prophetic, maniacal. Susan and Anne’s mom were Christians. I feel the sisters were made of similar cloth, but their views being too far apart, they couldn’t understand one another. They were estranged during their lives. On the other hand, you can see the talent in both, and in Abigail, too.

There is a picture of her in the salon with the owner and the red wig between them. The picture of her in the car before the crash, you can see the red hairs of the wig in between the console and the passenger seat. These articles with these pictures are posted numerous times in the thread. Or am I missing something here?

She looked at wigs on a shelf in the shampoo area and picked a blue one. Glass told her that wig was already taken, so she opted for a red wig instead, he told the publication.

The sounds of distress from those helping is upsetting. I hope they receive help if they need it. It must have been a distressing scene.

Yes sorry, my mistake. Projection. I would choose red, but I agree that Anne would have probably wanted blue

Heche died due to inhalation of smoke and thermal injuries according to the Los Angeles County Medical Examiner-Coroner.
Her manner of death was listed as an accident and also noted that a "sternal fracture due to blunt trauma" was another "significant condition" from the devastating car crash she was involved in on Aug. 5.
Per the National Library of Medicine, sternal fractures typically occur after the chest strikes the steering wheel in motor vehicle collisions. It is believed that 60-90% of all sternal fractures are caused by crashes, with the occurrence tripling with the use of seatbelts, likely due to deceleration forces, the NLM reported.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back