CANADA Canada - Sonia Varaschin, 42, Orangeville, 29 Aug 2010 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
if thé car and the car alone was the reason for her murder, why not just steal Audrey’s car? Hold a gun to her head and demand the keys. I think the car ALONE as a motive is flimsy. There has to be more to the story. But « look young and look close ». Did AG make someone young so angry that he thought he HAD TO get revenge? That HE deserved the car more than she did?

I JUST NOTICED THAT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT AUDREY IN SONIA’S THREAD. PLEASE LET’S CONTINUE IN THE CORRECT THREADS. :oops:
They both drove white cars fwiw.
  • UPDATED MAR 8, 2022 rbbm.
  • ONTARIO COLD CASE: OPP could be searching for multiple suspects in unsolved Sonia Varaschin murder case
  • ''OPP could be searching for multiple suspects in unsolved Sonia Varaschin murder case''​

• “It’s quite apparent from our scene examination that when the culprit left the scene, he was covered in a significant amount of blood. The blood would be expected to be on both footwear and clothing,” Det. Insp. Mark Pritchard said days following Sonia’s disappearance, adding it was not known if she’d been removed from her home dead or alive.''​

“I don’t believe it was a random event,” Pritchard said at the time. “We believe that Sonia’s killer is very familiar with Orangeville, the outskirts of Orangeville, Sonia’s neighbourhood, Sonia’s townhouse complex and potentially Sonia herself.”

That remains much of the same today. Based on where her car was abandoned, where Sonia lived and where she was found, Glassford said it gives an indication her killer was familiar with the area.

“We don’t have a closed mind to the fact it could be somebody from outside the area,
” he acknowledged. “I don’t know 100 per cent that they know the area, but it’s common sense. If somebody is putting a car here and a body here, you think they might have an idea.”

''Police have not ruled out whether Sonia’s attacker was someone she met online either.''
1660836366217.png

Last edited:
Do Sonia's parents still make appeals on the anniversary of her murder?

So, according to the above post - they are considering MULTIPLE people who know the area very well. That means the person(s) also know Mono very well.

DNA and video in police hands

Excerpt
And, it turns out, police are also holding security video footage of a car travelling away from the homicide scene at a high rate of speed, a vehicle they believe may have been on its way to dispose of her body near Orangeville.

Do we even know WHERE the homicide scene was? If they have video, one might assume it was in a populated area rather than out in a field somewhere. Was Sonia drugged to silence the killing? People in her townhouse complex must have heard something.

Sonia was killed at home by a reckless killer ( I had forgotten that in my post above )

Excerpt
The risky behaviour displayed by the killer, said Det.-Insp Pritchard, was entering Ms. Varaschin’s home, killing her and then removing her body in the close confines of her townhouse complex. Ms. Varaschin’s killer also drove her car to the area where he disposed of her body, and then abandoned it close to the scene of the murder, with blood clearly visible on the outside of the car.

Last edited:
This all leads to more questions. Did Sonia let him in? Did she know him? Were there signs of a break in? What time did he arrive? It’s starting to get dark before 9pm at this time of the year. Were her neighbours at home? Did LE investigate all males who moved from that area after the murder? Did he bring a weapon with him? Was there a sexual component?

All great questions, NSU. Re: Excerpt "And, it turns out, police are also holding security video footage of a car travelling away from the homicide scene at a high rate of speed, a vehicle they believe may have been on its way to dispose of her body near Orangeville":
journos have an ethical responsibility to tell the truth, but often a mandate to make that truth commodifiable; lol, sigh. The statement above holds more promise than likely can be realized, since we know that the vehicle referenced in the article is Sonia's own car (and not, as one might otherwise have hoped and as the provocative wording there in the article might intimate, potentially the perp(s)' vehicle). The footage is still very useful, one hopes, for helping with timeline and route; I can be hopeful but much less sure about what more of the tale that video can tell. (My word: if there were more than one person visible in the vehicle revealed in that footage then surely LE would share that news with us -?)
I'm starting to feel anxious as the end of the month approaches. I'm longing more than ever this year for info with teeth -- some update that reveals real progress, or release of info to the public that can catalyze that progress via new tips.

Do we know if Sonia was working late and was ambushed on her way into her home? Did she park underground? Or out in the open?

All great questions, NSU. Re: Excerpt "And, it turns out, police are also holding security video footage of a car travelling away from the homicide scene at a high rate of speed, a vehicle they believe may have been on its way to dispose of her body near Orangeville":
journos have an ethical responsibility to tell the truth, but often a mandate to make that truth commodifiable; lol, sigh. The statement above holds more promise than likely can be realized, since we know that the vehicle referenced in the article is Sonia's own car (and not, as one might otherwise have hoped and as the provocative wording there in the article might intimate, potentially the perp(s)' vehicle). The footage is still very useful, one hopes, for helping with timeline and route; I can be hopeful but much less sure about what more of the tale that video can tell. (My word: if there were more than one person visible in the vehicle revealed in that footage then surely LE would share that news with us -?)
I'm starting to feel anxious as the end of the month approaches. I'm longing more than ever this year for info with teeth -- some update that reveals real progress, or release of info to the public that can catalyze that progress via new tips.
I know this is asking a lot, but I feel LE should release a portion of the video to see if anyone recognizes the driver. After all this time with no arrest made, wouldn’t that be a wise move? Unless LE knows who the driver is. What a conundrum.

Wish there was an e fit of the perp released, at least then people will have an idea of the perps race and general appearance, it might spark someone's memory, who knows, maybe another nurse dated someone who got problematic and is unsure about speaking up until a bit more about the perp's appearance is known, imo.
re post rbbm.
Joe Warmington
August 30, 2020
They have DNA. They have an understanding of his possible movements after the murder.''
And, it turns out, police are also holding security video footage of a car travelling away from the homicide scene at a high rate of speed, a vehicle they believe may have been on its way to dispose of her body near Orangeville
.''

“High risk,” Glassford said, describing the effort to move the victim’s body from her home and attempt to make it disappear.''

''To do it, the killer moved her remains from the house, placed her in her car and drove it to a wooded area about 12 kilometres away. For six days, she was missing. If not for a dog out for a walk, picking up the scent and heading five metres off a rural road, it’s possible Sonia might never have been found.

After leaving her in the wild, the killer brazenly drove her car back to Orangeville and left it parked behind a downtown business before disappearing. The car, which was noticed by workers with blood inside, is one of three crime scenes. Now the OPP reveal for the first time they have actual video footage of what is believed to be her car in the early-morning hours of Aug. 30, travelling in Orangeville.''

''Moving her body from the home, taking her car through town to a secluded area and then returning to the downtown area are all gambles in a town with people milling about. The proximity of the townhouses illustrates just how problematic this could have been for possible detection, which could have triggered a call to police.

“Someone could have seen him coming out of the house,” Glassford said. “Someone could have seen him park the car behind the business.”

Some of it could have been caught on video. Now we know some was.''

''Sonia’s townhouse complex on Spring St., is nestled behind a neighbourhood in such a way that it would be easy to drive by and not know it is even there. But behind it is a small brush area with paths that lead to downtown.
Could the killer have come from the centre of Orangeville, through this wooded area, to make his way to her home?

Could he be from the town? Could he have parked somewhere near where her car was later found? Did he know the area? Or was he from somewhere else? Did he know Sonia or did he know of her?''

I've assumed the footage of the car is from too great a distance to see the interior, but if I'm wrong, yes, yes, yes! I heartily agree with all of you that LE should release the video and ANY/ALL info gleaned from it :) We're always told that we "the public" can help, but that's VERY hard to do when we don't even know yet that info we have might be relevant/useful. I'm imploring LE to help us help them; release some more info that might tweak new connections and new tips from folks who have no clue yet that they hold the key.....

I've assumed the footage of the car is from too great a distance to see the interior, but if I'm wrong, yes, yes, yes! I heartily agree with all of you that LE should release the video and ANY/ALL info gleaned from it :) We're always told that we "the public" can help, but that's VERY hard to do when we don't even know yet that info we have might be relevant/useful. I'm imploring LE to help us help them; release some more info that might tweak new connections and new tips from folks who have no clue yet that they hold the key.....
Yes, LE has to give us something so we can follow their advice. « If you see something, say something ». Please show us something.

A thought about his « brazen behaviour « .Could he KNOW he’ll never be caught? Is he a member of LE? Is he in a position to alter facts? A politician? The son of someone BIG? I’m grasping at straws.

Selling SV’s home

Excerpt

Hill played down the controversy Thursday. “We let them out of the deal,” he said, adding, “There is no proof of the wrongdoings being done in the house,” and he did not hide the fact it was Varaschin’s home.

Ontario Provincial Police investigators have never revealed where or how Varaschin was killed. There was no forced entry into her home, but the woman’s blood was found splattered throughout.

——————————

So now we learn that blood was « spattered throughout »

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads