VA VA - Michael, 50, Mary, 36, & Jennifer Short, 9, Bassett, 15 Aug 2002

Today at this hour 9:00am ( in my UK hour is 13:00pm) is now since a worker discovered Michael and Mary's bodies and little Jennifer is no where to be found in The Short's Bungalow. Today is the 20th Anniversary of this tragedy of the most beloved family, let pay our respect for them and say Amen.

Last edited:
Danny Oakley and Bill Mills are the two other cases I'm referring to.

I am referring to Madison NC and the reason I'm saying that is because the person suspected used to gamble with Michael Short as well as Bill
Is there any evidence proving “said suspect” gambled with Danny Oakley and Bill Mills?

No such thing as a .22 caliber shotgun; however, there are shotguns that also contain a separate .22 caliber barrel. I actually have one and it's an over/under, with the .22 caliber rifle on top, and the 20 gauge shotgun on the bottom. That's the only thing I can think of where they meant ".22 caliber shotgun."

No such thing as a .22 caliber shotgun; however, there are shotguns that also contain a separate .22 caliber barrel. I actually have one and it's an over/under, with the .22 caliber rifle on top, and the 20 gauge shotgun on the bottom. That's the only thing I can think of where they meant ".22 caliber shotgun."
I was thinking that same thing

I still just honestly think Michael was the reason for the brutal attack of this family. I think money was the motive.
But why take Jennifer? Why not just eliminate the entire family? Taking Jennifer was a huge risk. Also I've never thought money was the reason, since there was $600 in cash sitting on the kitchen counter.

But why take Jennifer? Why not just eliminate the entire family? Taking Jennifer was a huge risk. Also I've never thought money was the reason, since there was $600 in cash sitting on the kitchen counter.
Maybe it was harder for them to kill a child and that's why they took her...to build up courage to do what they needed to do with her.

I have several working theories that make tons of sense if you hear them. I am not posting them here for the public though. So when I make small comments, they make no sense to others. But if you know what I know, it makes perfect sense.

Very good news to hear that the task force has been granted funding to test hundreds of pieces of evidence using the latest technology, and to retest some items. I really feel like this crime will be solved using DNA testing. JMO

We
Very good news to hear that the task force has been granted funding to test hundreds of pieces of evidence using the latest technology, and to retest some items. I really feel like this crime will be solved using DNA testing. JMO
We'll finger cross on this one, wish them luck.

You can buy .22 caliber barrel inserts that convert a shotgun into a .22 caliber rifle. But your point is well taken, I find that reporters are generally ignorant about firearms, and make all sorts of stupid mistakes in their writing.

How could someone have gotten away with such a horrific crime?
I think it comes down to 2 simple reasons. One was the police corruption obviously. They sounded inept too. But the main reason was the several dirtbags that were trying to pin it on Bowman early on for their own selfish reasons. Lemons was just wanting Bowmans trailer so he could turn around and sell it. And then Smapson, Mills, and Epperson were just looking for someone to blame the crime on so they could collect the reward money. They chose the town drunk. That set the investigation back at least 5 years.

I think it comes down to 2 simple reasons. One was the police corruption obviously. They sounded inept too. But the main reason was the several dirtbags that were trying to pin it on Bowman early on for their own selfish reasons. Lemons was just wanting Bowmans trailer so he could turn around and sell it. And then Smapson, Mills, and Epperson were just looking for someone to blame the crime on so they could collect the reward money. They chose the town drunk. That set the investigation back at least 5 years.
I agree 100%

Any new information in either the articles or the podcast?
Not much of anything in the articles. I had intended to listen to the podcast, but in November I was following the Moscow ID murders and the arrest in the Delphi case. So today I listened to it and picked up two tidbits. One was in the weeks after the murder LE received multiple calls from NC about a man with a gun and seen with a young girl. The podcast has a lengthy list of referenced articles and I tried to find that info. But 2-3 articles are from the Newport News VA paper, The Daily Press, and they are behind a paywall. The info on the tips may be there.

The other item on the podcast is a reference to a FOX8 podcast on the case where the sheriff states they have a short list of 3-5 suspects but they need more info. I do find it interesting that LE has conducted over 4,000 interviews. The employee who found Michael that morning has been interviewed multiple times.

Not much of anything in the articles. I had intended to listen to the podcast, but in November I was following the Moscow ID murders and the arrest in the Delphi case. So today I listened to it and picked up two tidbits. One was in the weeks after the murder LE received multiple calls from NC about a man with a gun and seen with a young girl. The podcast has a lengthy list of referenced articles and I tried to find that info. But 2-3 articles are from the Newport News VA paper, The Daily Press, and they are behind a paywall. The info on the tips may be there.

The other item on the podcast is a reference to a FOX8 podcast on the case where the sheriff states they have a short list of 3-5 suspects but they need more info. I do find it interesting that LE has conducted over 4,000 interviews. The employee who found Michael that morning has been interviewed multiple times.
Thank you for the synopsis for those of us unable to access. It is appreciated.

so…two interesting bits of information. Are they linked in any way or is one a misdirection?

Join the Citizen Detective team tonight live at 9PM Eastern as we discuss the Short Family murders.
In August, 2002, Michael and Mary Short were found shot to death inside their home in Henry County, Virginia. Their daughter, 9-year-old Jennifer Short, was missing and found dead under a bridge in Rockingham County six weeks later. The killer or killers were never caught. Who killed the Short family & why?
We'd love to hear your theories and ideas.
You can take part via one of the following places-
via or Facebook homepage:
or in our Facebook group:
On Youtube:
On Twitch:
On Twitter:
Leave us a voicemail any time, or send in your questions:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online