Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni Missing From Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee since 8 Aug 2022 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Her car wasn’t found on the side of the reservoir with the boat ramp. It was closer to the party site.

I agree with the Tahoe resident that it’s unnerving that Tahoe agencies don’t have the resources and or skills that AWP has to perform a water rescue like this. I lived in SLT, and I disagree that with all the hundreds of bodies of water up there including one of the deepest lakes in the world, there’s not multitudes of water rescues.

The LE botched this one up. Yes, they found her but now the evidence has been compromised after 2 weeks of being submerged. They also let people SWIM in the reservoir in that time.

They should have let AWP recover the car. <modsnip>. AWP said they were all up, and they always try to keep everything intact when they recover the vehicles.

Last edited by a moderator:
AWP is based in the PNW and they're long known in this area, especially for recovering vehicles for cold cases. Countless times they've recovered vehicles from areas previously searched by SAR. This recovery is really no different.

In fact, this happens so often (whether recovered by ground or in water) that WS has a thread dedicated to cases where remains are located in the same area previously searched by SAR.

I could not see the public in the PC link I watched so I'm not sure if Kiely's family were there,but what a terrible question to ask if they were. "Were there signs that she tried to escape the vehicle?" when her parents could be right there,and even if they weren't present they would surely be watching.
I know we all want to know that this was a terrible accident and that Kiely didn't suffer for long,and hopefully not at all, but some things are just plain unnecessary. IMO
it is a question one would ask because it goes to how conscious she was- maybe not
even fully conscious when the car went in the water, though no one wants to think about her struggling. I also think her parents would be asking themselves about her last moments, even if the thoughts are painful, IMO.

My understanding was that this press conference was only open to members of the media, though I don't suppose they would have told her family that they were not welcome. I doubt any of KIely's "friends" were there though, as someone suggested, although the feed I watched never showed anyone other than the speakers. JMO
I watched it on FB and had to look at my history now to see what station I was watching it on - NewsNation. If you view this link they show the people seated off to our left (the speakers' right) at times and I believe toward the end, around 22:10, that might be her mom and stepfather seated?

Edited to add: At the 15:10 - 15:45 mark, several young women leave. Odd.

Her car wasn’t found on the side of the reservoir with the boat ramp. It was closer to the party site.

I agree with the Tahoe resident that it’s unnerving that Tahoe agencies don’t have the resources and or skills that AWP has to perform a water rescue like this. I lived in SLT, and I disagree that with all the hundreds of bodies of water up there including one of the deepest lakes in the world, there’s not multitudes of water rescues.

The LE botched this one up. Yes, they found her but now the evidence has been compromised after 2 weeks of being submerged. They also let people SWIM in the reservoir in that time.

They should have let AWP recover the car. I think LE broke the windows. AWP said they were all up, and they always try to keep everything intact when they recover the vehicles.
is there a link where AWP said the windows were all up?

I watched it on FB and had to look at my history now to see what station I was watching it on - NewsNation. If you view this link they show the people seated off to our left (the speakers' right) at times and I believe toward the end, around 22:10, that might be her mom and stepfather seated?

Yep, it is. And that may be her bio dad sitting to their left with the other woman.

While unpleasant also consider that this girl would have been just as dead if she was found in ten minutes.
RSBM
Agree, and this is why I’m glad they were investigating a possible abduction. If there was any possibility Kiely was alive, that’s the priority. It’s so hard for the families not to know, so I’m grateful to AWP for bringing that closure, but nothing anyone did could have saved her.

Yeah, but then my question is why didn't she escape if they were all open. Even in a panic she would have gotten out because the windows were open but she didn't. So either she was already deceased or she was unconscious.
On what basis is OP assuming that if the windows were open, they were opened by the victim? o_O Link, please. TIA.

I think given the state of decomposition, while it's most likely her in the car, LE cannot legally state it is her without doing forensics so AWP sort of jumped the gun by announcing it's her (maybe based on hair color and clothing). We've seen this sort of thing here before when it's obvious, but they won't officially state it til tests are run.
If we were talking remains in a car in the water anywhere in the Sacramento Valley, I'd agree on worrisome decomp, but...this is Truckee. The days are currently in the 80's and lows drop to the mid-40's. That will protect the remains pretty well. Closed windows would protect from any water creatures.
CA has a few messed up cases...Koby Bryant & his daughter being one that law enforcement lost control of. There was a lot of footage shot last night. Everyone wants a $$ shot.

These photos are from the boat ramp north of the campground. KR and her vehicle were recovered east of the campground.
Understand, but these are the pictures we have from a local resident of the water level within a day or so of the accident. The other local who asked might be able to use them to judge the relative level of the water now.

Last edited:
Maybe each state (or even region) should have a specialized team similar to AWP that can be dispatched when needed... rather than each department having to try to budget for that?

I don't know why this would be needed. AWP is fairly new to this, but have been extremely successful. I don't know why it isn't a better idea to let them do it and allow the government to try to "hone" in on their skillset a bit more. Just my honest opinion, but I think more and more LE will trust and look to AWP for help in such situations. Just like LE does call in Texas EquuSearch.

It looks like this was also where the drone footage had previously picked up an object that looked like a car and tyre marks that swerved off track but stopped abruptly but didn't go into the lake. (links are further up in our thread, sorry I don't have to hand.
I think I saved that... It doesn't matter so much now...but...it's an interesting point...

He certainly took a big pause before answering! I'll chalk it up to him doing a mental "am I allowed to answer this question" check.

I commend the police officer for keeping his cool and pausing before he spoke. The loss of Kiely is bad enough.

Once Kiely was found, I thought about how other parents could be mourning the loss of their child also - if Kiely wasn't alone.
(There is no way of knowing if having another young person in Kiely's vehicle with her would have changed the situation at all.)

We have all heard of the cars filled with teens who have all come to grief due to driver error.

Unless @katydid23, KR pulled over on that stretch of dirt road after starting to drive home... realizing she was in no shape to drive and possibly feeling unwell and disoriented. If by chance she did that, she could have put the car in Neutral instead of Park, fell asleep / passed out, and the car slowly rolled down the embankment to the beach and water. So if the car is found to be in Neutral, I am not sure that triggers an automatic foul play scenario. Could still be a tragic accident.
what actually happens when a car goes into water? does the engine run for awile until it shorts out or the water floods the air intake? or is that pretty quick?

If we were talking remains in a car in the water anywhere in the Sacramento Valley, I'd agree on worrisome decomp, but...this is Truckee. The days are currently in the 80's and lows drop to the mid-40's. That will protect the remains pretty well. Closed windows would protect from any water creatures.
CA has a few messed up cases...Koby Bryant & his daughter being one that law enforcement lost control of. There was a lot of footage shot last night. Everyone wants a $$ shot.
I hope you're right! Thought I'd read that they said the water temp there was about 70, but I could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutalicy