Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni Missing From Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also note: some seem antsy to declare this a tragic accident and not discuss further. Foul play has not been ruled out.
Everything points to this being a tragic accident. In the absence of additional evidence, not sure what there is left to discuss in the way of foul play.

Foul play discussion inevitably leads back to friends and family. I feel at this time they should be left to grieve in peace.

Everything points to this being a tragic accident. In the absence of additional evidence, not sure what there is left to discuss in the way of foul play.

Foul play discussion inevitably leads back to friends and family. I feel at this time they should be left to grieve in peace.
LE is pursuing an active investigation, during which it's my understanding the family is more likely to hear about evidence than we are.

Anyone who doesn't want to discuss further can disengage. The probability of it being a tragic accident definitely went up when we can see how a wrong turn could have put her in the lake. OTOH, if there was foul play, that needs to be determined. How can the community be protected from this happening again if the actual cause isn't determined as closely as possible?

If there was foul play, it could have been someone she'd never met before. I live here. There could be someone out there who hasn't been caught who could do this again.

BBM
Done @Curiosa20.

Here is the email I just sent to the online editor of the NY POST:

In the NY POST online article by Jack Morphet and Ben Kesslen, dated 8/22/2022 at 2:18pm (link below), there is a statement (bolded below) not yet substantiated in any other main stream media outlet or by law enforcement. It also does not appear in any of the public statements by Adventures With Purpose (AWP) who found Ms. Rodni’s vehicle and presumably her inside of it. I wonder if you could please ask the authors to substantiate their source for this bolded statement because as it stands, it is appears unsubstantiated.

“The vehicle was found upside down and about 14 feet underwater, diver Nick Rinn, who discovered the car, told The Post. The driver’s window was broken and there was a body in the backseat.”

My first read of this sentence was that Mr. Rinn stated the second sentence of the author’s paragraph. And that seems ludicrous given how cautious AWP is with all their statements pertaining to their underwater discovery work.

My second read, with a more critical analysis, is that the authors of the article put the two sentences together in a paragraph as a way to infer Mr. Rinn said the second sentence. When in actuality, there is no source cited for that second sentence.

So I am left with wondering if the source of that information is the photographer credited in the article with the image of Ms. Rodni’s car being pulled out of the Prosser Reservoir, Mr. McKnight, who I have copied on this email message.

In that image, the driver’s window is clearly broken. However the way the article was written it sounds like the window was broken when Mr. Rinn discovered the car. When in fact, the window could have been broken during extrication.

But more importantly, stating there was a body in the backseat, inferring the location of Ms. Rodni in her car, appears recklessly unsubstantiated as it was written. If it can be substantiated, I would appreciate the authors adding that citation.

Please advise. Thank you.

Mystery over how SUV of missing teen Kiely Rodni ended up in a reservoir
What a well written email. Kudos @RedHaus

Right!

I have this strong feeling about her hanging around at/near the water. I probably should not keep saying it, since it is simply a vibe. The setting is so beautiful, and it looks like the perfect place to go make a phone call, get a little air/sober up, maybe, get your bearings, and as you said, even get a little rest if she was feeling not quite right.

I know many posters are bothered by continued discussion, but I still maintain her curfew extension timeline does not strike me as seriously impaired. She may turn out NOT to have been, maybe this really is a new driver error or something unknown? I've really wondered all along if she was slipped something. There doesn't have to be any sinister intent there, like attempted rape or trafficking or ____ even though it is obviously rotten to spike a drink. Maybe someone thought they were adding some fun to the party? Stupid things happen.
Sometimes people take one thing thinking it's safe/safer and it's laced with something. Sometimes this isn't even intentional on the part of the person giving it to another person. It's scary what is happening with drugs now. I mean drugs alone are scary when talking about kids who will be taking them and driving a vehicle after possibly mixed with alcohol. Marijuana or edibles that are relatively safe, if from a good source, can be laced with things.

Maybe she needed to call mom to extend the curfew and so she drove away a bit to get away from the loud party. She then decides to sit there or just rest her eyes for a few minutes and as you mentioned maybe she was in neutral and if her lights aren't on and she's just sleeping there, she may not have even woke up and nobody would see her car if lights are off.

Last edited:
@Seattle1

In my opinion, this is a very solemn and sensible post.

All we have at the moment is conjecture, because we are not privy to all the information that is known, or the information that will be discovered through an investigation.

I believe your implication is well-founded. It strikes me as highly implausible that the professional sensitivity and judiciousness shown by the efforts to shield Kiely would be undone in such a careless manner.

Although I choose not to examine that picture thoroughly, IMO it is anything but her hand. Maybe it's the headrest, maybe it's a reflection of something outside of our field of view, maybe it's a shard of glass, maybe something else.

To be gruesome, I don't know much about forensics but I doubt after two weeks in the water, Kiely would still be able to grip something at all. I don't know how two weeks in the water affects rigor mortis but I know what I believe happens.

It's just too upsetting, so I'm going to relieve myself of this part of the discussion, but I did want to thank you for the wide range picture and the context you've provided.

Regarding rigor mortis—usually gone in 36 hours.

And if the minor who was furnished the alcohol is in a fatal accident you better hire an attorney who handles serious felony cases..IMO!

Regarding rigor mortis—usually gone in 36 hours.

Thanks for posting this. Seeing your post made me wonder how timing for decomp (not necessarily just rigor mortis) could be different if the body was submerged vs on land. I found this:

Decomposition in a wet environment differs from that in other settings, both in the changes that occur and the rate at which they occur. It is essential that the forensic pathologist or medicolegal death investigator recognize and appreciate the uniqueness of immersed and submerged remains. The typical decomposition changes proceed more slowly in the water, primarily due to cooler temperatures and the anaerobic environment.

ETA this paragraph: Postmortem changes are not only affected by water temperature, but also by current as well as obstacles and structures, both natural and man-made, that may interact with the remains. The anaerobic nature of decomposition for wet or submerged remains may result in adipocere formation, a unique and fascinating process that results from incomplete transformation of lipids by bacteria. Insect and animal species feeding on the remains are different for submerged bodies. Postmortem predation may cause external defects that mimic injuries and should be interpreted with care.

HUGE WARNING!! Do not go to the website if you are at all squeamish due to extremely graphic photos. You've been warned. :cool:

Last edited:
And if the minor who was furnished the alcohol is in a fatal accident you better hire an attorney who handles serious felony cases..IMO!
Does the age of the person who furnished alcohol to a minor in a fatal accident matter in your opinion? Meaning would a 19 year old vs. a 22 year old (legal drinking age in CA is 21) face different charges in such a situation in CA?

It seems that this site has been a popular spot for nighttime gatherings for many years. I’m surprised that it has taken this long for a tragedy to occur. It looks like a person could make a wrong turn easily, and without anything other than headlights, one could make an error that could cause them to end up in the water. I don’t know if Kiely was sober, drunk, or an inexperienced driver. That spot looks dangerous to me.

Isn't Prosser Family Campground on federal land? Wouldn't that be why FBi would be involved?
Not always. They get involved in federal crimes, but not necessarily in al crimes committed in federal land. Murder for example is a crime in all 50 states, but is not a federal crime.

The FBI got involved most likely because of the existing possibility (early on i. The investigation) when it was thought Kiely could have been abducted amd transported across state lines. We not know that scenario probably didn’t happen. The FBI will
Continue their investigation and will at some point return it to local LE if they are satisfied they’re not looking for an interstate criminal.

I agree. I was surprised that furnishing alcohol to a minor was only a misdemeanor even if the minor dies because of it. I'm sure that there's other statutes that can lead to felony charges in cases like this. JMO.

MOO, but I’m 5’8” - so only one inch taller, and I drive a similar car. I just went outside and looked at my car from the same angle and my headrest is in the exact same spot as the NYPost photo. Leaving room for body proportion differences, I don’t find the seat placement as strange. Again, MOO.
Agree. I have a similar car and my seat back looks like that too—it isn’t leaned back—it just remains in the middle by the door jamb.

I have no opinion about foul play, but think it most likely that this girl drove into the water accidentally after a night of partying.

@Seattle1

In my opinion, this is a very solemn and sensible post.

All we have at the moment is conjecture, because we are not privy to all the information that is known, or the information that will be discovered through an investigation.

I believe your implication is well-founded. It strikes me as highly implausible that the professional sensitivity and judiciousness shown by the efforts to shield Kiely would be undone in such a careless manner.

Although I choose not to examine that picture thoroughly, IMO it is anything but her hand. Maybe it's the headrest, maybe it's a reflection of something outside of our field of view, maybe it's a shard of glass, maybe something else.

To be gruesome, I don't know much about forensics but I doubt after two weeks in the water, Kiely would still be able to grip something at all. I don't know how two weeks in the water affects rigor mortis but I know what I believe happens.

It's just too upsetting, so I'm going to relieve myself of this part of the discussion, but I did want to thank you for the wide range picture and the context you've provided.
Agree with you on all points here. Thank you for capturing so beautifully what I wasn’t able to.

Does the age of the person who furnished alcohol to a minor in a fatal accident matter in your opinion? Meaning would a 19 year old vs. a 22 year old (legal drinking age in CA is 21) face different charges in such a situation in CA?
I would think in this situation, whoever sold to the 19 year-old is in trouble?

I do not practice in CA. However, the statute applies to all ages. Someone 18+ gets adult court and under 18 get juvenile court.

Also, this statute only applies $1,000 fine and up to 6 months in jail for someone who furnished alcohol to a minor who causes death or great bodily injury. ..pretty weak statute IMO, but our society likes to coddle the only real Schedule I controlled substance = alcohol...despite alcohol's never ending parade of death and carnage that it produces every day!

To get to felony land on a furnishing case that leads to death in CA the DA would have to charge under the theory of negilgent homicide, which is called involuntary manslaughter under California's penal code. This would probably require some additional facts and a DA who is not lazy or risk adverse.....IMO!

If there were 300 +/- people at the party, even though Kiely was by all accounts very well-liked, I think we can safely wonder if someone could have given her something that was more than she expected, without implicating her friends.

Remember, there were accounts of "sketchy older guys", people from all over the place no one knew previously , and "drugs we do not usually see."

I do not practice in CA. However, the statute applies to all ages. Someone 18+ gets adult court and under 18 get juvenile court.

Also, this statute only applies $1,000 fine and up to 6 months in jail for someone who furnished alcohol to a minor who causes death or great bodily injury. ..pretty weak statute IMO, but our society likes to coddle the only real Schedule I controlled substance = alcohol...despite alcohol's never ending parade of death and carnage that it produces every day!

To get to felony land on a furnishing case that leads to death in CA the DA would have to charge under the theory of negilgent homicide, which is called involuntary manslaughter under California's penal code. This would probably require some additional facts and a DA who is not lazy or risk adverse.....IMO!
Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member