Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni Missing From Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anything is possible these days but if the timeline is true and KR did call her friend at 12:30am or even a few minutes before that and her phone last pinged at 12:33am, then it seems very unlikely someone was able to commit a murder and then dispose of her inside the vehicle and into the water in 3 to 6 minutes unless it was a quick gunshot which then would make no sense at all.
I agree and hope the phone was found with her, which might help clarify the timeline and other circumstances. Do you think if they didn't find the phone they would send divers back in to search that area?

What an interesting topic to explore said the ADHD :)
No foul play? That must be why they so primarily respond to families, not law enforcement.

Five differnt searches turned up sites for Serial Killers, family or domestic violence, death row inmates, Justice Dept, FBI, a report from Scotland and a study in Finland.
We also have the recent discoveries in Lake Mead and well, as far as evidence destruction in water goes, would toilets count? lolThat does pop up.
Here’s a run down of notable body disposals in lakes rivers, swamps, parks.. rain barrels.

A lot of bodies are dumped in rivers and washes and lakes. Just wondering about how often that happens with entire vehicles. Would normally require more than one perp, since otherwise they would need to be really well-prepared with a getaway strategy.

Again, the most likely scenario ATP is a simple accident. We have a participant on this thread who is personally familiar with a case investigated by the same CHP unit that was thought to be an accident and turned out to be a murder. It is my hope for the safety of my community that LE will do whatever it takes to figure out what happened to her so that - accident or not - it doesn't happen again.
We know very little about the vehicle and how it got in the lake at this point. The MAIT team probably doesn't either at this early stage of their investigation.

In the personal case of mine one strange thing was noticed right away that the public didn't now about. The entire interior of Nick's car was covered in oil. A motor oil bottle was found in the back seat without it's cap. The cap was later found by the MAIT team jammed into the throttle mechanism. The public wasn't made aware of all of this until much later. JMO.

Sometimes LE won't release the autopsy results until all reports are in. Maybe we'll hear more once the toxicology is complete.

Kiely's cause and manner of death were not released, and the investigation into her death is still ongoing, according to the statement.

The California Highway Patrol is now conducting a traffic fatality investigation.

Results from toxicology reports are expected in a few weeks. Officials said their investigation is continuing.

Actually MAIT might take umbrage at being referred to solely as the CHP doing a traffic investigation. It’s a very specialized unit that also works with consultants.
They’re very precise about investigating “crashes” on land and into water. They don’t even like to employ the term “accident”.

Im.hoping this post is allowed, but I've read several reports about the autopsy confirming the identity of keiley rodni, however they are not stating a cause of death...in a drowning isn't presence of water in the lungs enough to state drowning as the cause of death? I don't understand why that wouldn't be easy to check for and I figured that would be one of the first things they looked at given the circumstances..if there was water found in the lungs why wouldn't drowning be reported to the public ... even to end all the speculation of foul play and help give the family some peace...by this point I feel they know if she drown or not...maybe not what led to her drowning but at least if she was alive when she went in the water.... is it common for them to wait to give a cause of death if it is clearly an accident?
It’s my understanding that drowning is considered a diagnosis of exclusion, which means it may take some time to methodically eliminate all other possible causes of death before making a determination. I found an interesting article that may be of interest (***includes graphic photos and descriptions that may be disturbing) about investigation of drowning deaths.

This outcome is tragic and I hope that her family can find some small comfort in the memories they hold dear.

Anything is possible these days but if the timeline is true and KR did call her friend at 12:30am or even a few minutes before that and her phone last pinged at 12:33am, then it seems very unlikely someone was able to commit a murder and then dispose of her inside the vehicle and into the water in 3 to 6 minutes unless it was a quick gunshot which then would make no sense at all.
well, phones do not continuously ping if they are not making a connection either by use or receiving something or by motion, and the phone trying to make sure there is always a good connection. If you sit in your house all day with your cell and don't use it at all it will not continuously ping it will occasionally ping to make sure it has a connection. I say all that to say this, she may have not been in motion, or airplane mode could have been activated the phone could have been broken. Just because there was no ping after 12:33 is not an absolute that she went in that water at that moment. It's not probable that the phone would have given off a ping in the water because radio waves are soaked up by the water so there is a very limited range, not sure if it would function enough for a ping at 14ft.

Again, the most likely scenario ATP is a simple accident. We have a participant on this thread who is personally familiar with a case investigated by the same CHP unit that was thought to be an accident and turned out to be a murder. It is my hope for the safety of my community that LE will do whatever it takes to figure out what happened to her so that - accident or not - it doesn't happen again.
If the community's interest and investment is in making sure something like this doesn't happen again the logical place to start is these unsupervised weekend parties in the woods where people are drinking and drugging and driving. As long as the community endorses and permits these activities it is only a matter of time before something like this happens again. IMO

I am just hoping this was an accident and the ME discovers water in her lungs? I realized that - after hearing the question about if there is evidence of her trying to escape the vehicle- asked during the presser.
If it is not found - I would be concerned.
This has bothered me all day. Since I saw the car.

I agree and hope the phone was found with her, which might help clarify the timeline and other circumstances. Do you think if they didn't find the phone they would send divers back in to search that area?
That is information that has not released, and will not be, but I think it is very likely that her phone was on her person when she went into water, so was very likely still in her vehicle with her remains. To your other question, yes, if they do not have it in their possession, I would expect they would go back now and search, now that they have a better idea where to look. Finding her phone would be an important part of any investigation. JMO

This is not exactly correct. DNA can survive being in water. Look at Libby Squire. She was raped/murdered and placed in a river on 2/1/2019 and after traveling some distance she was found by fisherman on 3/20/2019. They was sufficient DNA to match the suspect. MOO
How cold was the water?

A lot of bodies are dumped in rivers and washes and lakes. Just wondering about how often that happens with entire vehicles. Would normally require more than one perp, since otherwise they would need to be really well-prepared with a getaway strategy.
Maybe but not necessarily. It's been pointed out that many people arrived in groups to this party. Some could have come in scooters. It's not a short walk but it is walking distance back to town and public transport. There are neighborhoods that could be walked to as well. Someone can arrive in their own car, assault someone in their car, dispose of the evidence, and leave in their own car. Again, this is NOT the most likely possibility but it is possible.

How cold was the water?

It was cold. It was winter. But Libby’s body was not inside a vehicle and traveled a good distance in a river, exposed to all the elements and river obstacles.
I believe Kiely was an accident but just want to point out that we can not discount DNA.

If the community's interest and investment is in making sure something like this doesn't happen again the logical place to start is these unsupervised weekend parties in the woods where people are drinking and drugging and driving. As long as the community endorses and permits these activities it is only a matter of time before something like this happens again. IMO
Such a good point.
The family member in LE i spoke with today said the same thing. Feels the biggest immediate threat to public safety in that vicinity is DUI or BUI (boating), along with other kinds of accidents & assaults that come when people get intoxicated (fall, engage in impaired behavior, etc).. I imagine the local LE have this weighing pretty heavily on their hearts at this time—they are community members and have kids of their own. I’m sure they will be doing a whole lot of debriefing.

It was cold. It was winter. But Libby’s body was not inside a vehicle and traveled a good distance in a river, exposed to all the elements and river obstacles.
I believe Kiely was an accident but just want to point out that we can not discount DNA.
Agreed. It's less likely to find viable DNA evidence the longer the evidence is underwater, the warmer the water is and all that. Not impossible though.

You would sure hope so! I recall after LE initially searched those waters they said they were careful not to disturb the sediment in the lakebed, so it shouldn't be that difficult to find if it's in that vicinity.

The pedantic in me :) was asking about cases of foul play involving bodies found in cars, not just bodies themselves.

Apologies if this was not obvious.

I believe I've been here long enough to name cases where bodies have been found in water as a result of foul play, but thank you anyway.
My pleasure.
I actually interpreted it to be homicide evidence covered up by water which led to those results.
I certainly had no intent to offend you or your knowledge. I am constantly amazed by the vast recollections of old cases that are referred to here on a moment’s notice.
Thank you.

Actually MAIT might take umbrage at being referred to solely as the CHP doing a traffic investigation. It’s a very specialized unit that also works with consultants.
They’re very precise about investigating “crashes” on land and into water. They don’t even like to employ the term “accident”.
I also checked the NTSB (National Transportation Safety Board) site to see if they plan on investigating Kiely's case although I expected it to be too early, and it is. BTW they released a preliminary report in July regarding the March auto crash where it was initially claimed that a 13 year old was driving. There's a thread here.

Is it odd that we are not told if this child died by drowning, if that's the case? COD: drowning - MOD: accident

I suppose there could be more to the story than awaiting toxicology reports.

There is a small store way out in the country here that would sell some of my friends beer when they were 16yo. The difference is that those kids always went to a parent's lake house to drink. They called it a 'throw down'! I suspect local residents know who would sell liquor to the underaged.

Not much good happens in the woods at midnight for unsupervised youths. LEO should have never turned a blind eye to these repetitive parties occurring within their jurisdiction. It is their job to protect the public, even from themselves, if need be. I pray Truckee stops supporting these parties in the woods.

I wish some billionaire would step in to purchase the fabulous ski lodge Kiely's grandfather built that will surely be a constant reminder to the family that she's gone.

Kiely Rodni's heartbroken family are trying to sell lodge where teen was raised before her life was cut short - LOVEBYLIFE

It seems that this site has been a popular spot for nighttime gatherings for many years. I’m surprised that it has taken this long for a tragedy to occur. It looks like a person could make a wrong turn easily, and without anything other than headlights, one could make an error that could cause them to end up in the water. I don’t know if Kiely was sober, drunk, or an inexperienced driver. That spot looks dangerous to me.
I agree 100%. If any good can come from this terrible tragedy perhaps it will be that these nighttime parties can be held in an area that is less remote, with better lighting and more supervision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
supertooth