Found Deceased TN - Eliza "Liza" Fletcher, 34, Abducted while jogging 4:30 am, forced into SUV, Central Ave near Univ of M, personal items found, Memphis 2 Sept 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
From this, my understanding is that she was jogging on Central Avenue. The vehicle was "pulled into an area" across the street from where she was abducted. Her phone and water bottle were in front of a house in the 3800 block of Central Ave.

"The phone was smashed, according to Action News 5.

The alert says that a “male approached her at approximately 4:30 a.m. in the middle of Central Avenue and appeared to leave with her in an unknown vehicle following a brief struggle.” Police figured this out by obtaining surveillance video showing the abduction.

Upon arriving on the scene, officers were advised that a female was jogging in the area at approximately 4:20 am when an unknown individual approached her.

Police then found video that showed a black SUV pull into the area across the street “where the victim was taken,”

Possible locations:

1662159948682.png

I suspect that she believed that she could outrun any potential threat, and this is probably true. However, if the suspect was on or near the sidewalk and she was running towards him, while his vehicle was parked across the street, he could have startled her and restrained her before she realized what was happening.

If this is true, he may have seen her jogging this same route on other days and might have chosen Friday to abduct her. Lots of people have some Fridays off work. Perhaps he knew her route, parked his vehicle in the nearest parking lot, waited for her to run to him on the sidewalk across the street from his vehicle ... where she very likely always runs (near the houses). If so, he also selected a place to take her after abducting her.

In the interview with the police officer, she did say they had video but didn't know where it was from. Because this looks residential, my guess is a Ring camera or similar home security camera.

The university release mentions in the "middle" of the road that the male approached her. I know many runners prefer running on asphalt (the road) rather than concrete on the sidewalk. So maybe she was running in the road and tried to cross to the other side when this vehicle pulled up or slowed down and that's why this attack happened in the middle of the street?

I'd be curious to see the home surveillance footage of that road and nearby roads for the days leading up to today, around 430 AM. Is this same vehicle seen driving in this area? Also curious to know what time the vehicle showed up in the area today, from what direction it came, etc.
Another thought I have is if the struggle happened in the middle of the road she could have been trying to avoid this person. The scenario of a man in a car taking a girl out running in a town like this makes me think possibly 2 people involved and one is driving while one is attempting to get her. If he was walking the street or sidewalk maybe she was attempting to avoid passing him. I run a lot and if I spot something suspicious, I would cross the street or try to find a route to avoid whatever it is (person, dog, road work, stopped cars, etc) Either that or if it's just one person they had the car parked on the side of the road and then had the encounter and got her into the car. I can't imagine a car driving along would then stop and get out and one person grab her leaving the car and then returning to put her in it.

Doubt anyone would take the time to do that, as priority would be getting away. Destroying the phone really doesn't achieve any goal, and seems like an unnecessary step.

Of course the condition of the phone could be inaccurate or something, but I'll just say that I'm not at this point 100% convinced things are as they appear.

So right now I'm taking things at face value to an extent, but I'm keeping an open mind.
Might he be thinking that destroying the phone could make identification of the phones near hers difficult? I am not sure, I am trying to guess (It is city, triangulation should be easy, in principle). Another option - if she was alerting 911, and he grabbed the phone from her, and smashed it.

I asked my runner friend about EF using a gps watch to track her run. She said most people use gps watches to time their activity, but you have to save the workout when your done for it to upload to the cloud and be available online. So, if she had a gps watch on, it's unlikely it can be tracked. Workout would have to be saved, then bluetooth to the phone it's paired with. Obviously her phone is not available because it's smashed.

What time does the preK school open in the mornings? I know some open early for working parents. Just wondering when she normally has to be to work by and if she had a habit of being gone for runs for 3-4 hours or why there was a gap in time before she was reported missing. Although it’s an adult, so you could easily wait a while before getting too panicked.
I run early (5:00 am) before my family is up. It would take a couple hrs to report me as well, because everyone is asleep. when I get home, I start waking everyone up based on school/work schedules. If I didn’t get home, everyone would wake up late.

I asked my runner friend about EF using a gps watch to track her run. She said most people use gps watches to time their activity, but you have to save the workout when your done for it to upload to the cloud and be available online. So, if she had a gps watch on, it's unlikely it can be tracked. Workout would have to be saved, then bluetooth to the phone it's paired with. Obviously her phone is not available because it's smashed.
I run and use my Apple Watch. I can call 911 quickly. Also if I’m thrown to the ground (or fall), 911 and my emergency contacts are notified. I run with only one AirPods in and don’t run the same path every day.

I belong to online female running groups and maybe Liza does as well. This exact scenario is one that is discussed often. Our worst nightmare. And of course, let’s blame her for wearing running clothes and for running alone.

Unnecessary steps are always a red flag. I remember the AA executive who was gunned down while on a walk with his wife. The suspect allegedly took the time to duct tape her, before attempting to steal her jewelry.

I called BS on the story right away, as that's just not how crimes like that are committed. The alleged gunman actually viewed the websleuths thread, and knew people weren't buying what he was selling. He commented to the victim's wife (who was an accomplice), something to the effect of "I wish I hadn't read that..."

The difference here is the phone thing may have an explanation that isn't all that weird (broke when thrown, dropped, or accidentally run over).

At the same time though, I'm waiting for more information until I'm absolutely sold on the official narrative.

I see what you mean, taking the phone away and smashing it gives some personal vibe to the situation.

Another thought I have is if the struggle happened in the middle of the road she could have been trying to avoid this person. The scenario of a man in a car taking a girl out running in a town like this makes me think possibly 2 people involved and one is driving while one is attempting to get her. If he was walking the street or sidewalk maybe she was attempting to avoid passing him. I run a lot and if I spot something suspicious, I would cross the street or try to find a route to avoid whatever it is (person, dog, road work, stopped cars, etc) Either that or if it's just one person they had the car parked on the side of the road and then had the encounter and got her into the car. I can't imagine a car driving along would then stop and get out and one person grab her leaving the car and then returning to put her in it.
The person in the SUV may not have been suspicious to her. It may not have been a stranger at all. jmo

I was wondering the same thing about possible motivation such as money/ransom given Liza was part of a prominent family. I am not at all familiar with the area, but assuming anywhere in the US its still dark at that hour. If some horrible person took her and headed out of the city, might there be cameras at intersections showing a dark SUV at that hour? <modsnip - not victim friendly>

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a guess, but it looks like it happened around here. There are no trees to hide, unless he was parked at the church parking lot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks