Canada - 10 dead and at least 15 wounded in stabbing attacks in Saskatchewan, 2022

At the very bottom of this article The Star Phoenix has attached a tweet which indicates the black Nissan Rogue was stolen from the James Smith Cree Nation after the culprits “entered the home”. As the two must be aware by now the identification of this vehicle is on a widely spread public alert, hopefully they‘re unsuccessful in stealing a different one otherwise by now they could be anywhere.

This terrible news is hitting Australian news this morning, as of about an hour ago (it is Monday morning here).

We are hearing that as well as the known victims .... "There may be additional injured victims who transported themselves to various hospitals, police said."

So many crime scenes. :(
This does have shades of the Nova Scotia incident, unfortunately. Luckily they don't seem to have guns, so they probably can't effectively attack many people in one place.
I am thinking of my fellow Canadians in Saskatchewan. Stay safe.

From the presser the timeline is:

5:40 a.m. - RCMP receive report of a stabbing at James Smith Cree Nation. LE head to the scene.
Shortly after, RCMP receive multiple calls about various stabbings.
7:12 a.m. - RCMP have identified the suspects and issue a 'Dangerous Person Alert'.
9:45 a.m. - a province-wide Dangerous Person Alert is issued
11:25 - SK RCMP ask Manitoba and Alberta RCMP to issue a Dangerous Person Alert.
11:20 - suspect vehicle seen in Regina (3.5 hours drive from James Smith Cree Nation)

ETA: edited timing of Regina sighting thanks to @SouthAussie info below. (Thanks)

Last edited:
James Smith is about 60km east of my hometown, I'm here visiting my family this weekend. Woke up to a bunch of emergency alerts.

One of the craziest points that hasn't really been talked about here yet is that when the later alert about a sighting in Regina came up, that's about a 3.5hr drive away from the original crime scenes. So often people complain about emergency alerts not being geographically relevant enough, but it's so remote that you can cover so much road before the police really know what's going on.

Also of note, there was a shooting on the same reserve almost 1 year ago today (Sept 5, 2021). Lots of drugs and poverty in the area. Best guesses going around is something related to drugs, probably meth.

If it was on reserve the houses may be close to each other. A lot of people in the community do not lock their doors. Not sure what the response time is and whether RCMP were on duty at that time.

Re: response times.

This BBC article says that the first call about a stabbing was received at 5:40.
@MsMarple posted earlier that the first STAR air ambulance was dispatched at around 6am.

With the first RCMP alert going out at 7:12am.

(ETA: Sorry, cross posted with Snoopster's post above)

A dangerous persons alert involving the two suspects linked to the attacks was extended to Alberta and Manitoba earlier in the day.

From the presser the timeline is:

5:40 a.m. - RCMP receive report of a stabbing at James Smith Cree Nation. LE head to the scene.
Shortly after, RCMP receive multiple calls about various stabbings.
7:12 a.m. - RCMP have identified the suspects and issue a 'Dangerous Person Alert'.
9:45 a.m. - a province-wide Dangerous Person Alert is issued
11:25 - SK RCMP ask Manitoba and Alberta RCMP to issue a Dangerous Person Alert.
??? - suspect vehicle seen in Regina

"Regina Police said the suspects were seen around 11:20 a.m."

In the presser the Regina Chief of Police was asked if they had extra security at the football game for tonight. He said they did.
(for those that aren't familiar with Saskatchewan or the Canadian Football League, the Saskatchewan Rough Riders are a beloved team in a football-crazed province. Good crowds show up for every game. They are playing tonight, but the game is now into the 4th quarter and so far...all good. )

I hate the "Wait and See" part of a manhunt. Hopefully the two murderers will be caught by morning. Will we eventually learn what their motive was or will Canadian LE keep it out of public knowledge?
I don't think it'll be any secret, once the facts come to light. I'm super curious myself.

I hate the "Wait and See" part of a manhunt. Hopefully the two murderers will be caught by morning. Will we eventually learn what their motive was or will Canadian LE keep it out of public knowledge?

With so many victims, I can't imagine that family members of the victims who know the perps won't speak up. We won't likely see the trial though, and possibly the trial might end up with a publication ban if there were child victims in particular. (Hopefully there haven't been child victims!)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back