Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w prejudice* #104

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the motion;
'There is no link between the property to the location or circumstancesof Mrs. Morphew’s disappearance. In fact, there has been a sighting ofawoman as recently as May 2022 who has a close resemblance to Mrs. Morphew which the defense notified the prosecution about, but does not appear the prosecution has followed up. The defense is investigating this lead.'
Ok, good.

The defense can work on tracking down a homeless woman with hopes of proving she is Suzanne, alive and well. Presumably, being paid by Barry to do so.

In the meantime, prosecution will continue to search for Suzanne’s deceased remains. Presumably, paid via Colorado taxpayer funds.

Works for me.
#JusticeforSuzanne

jmo

As much as I don't want him to get them back, I think he will. I just think it's wrong, but I'm not the law or a lawyer and have no decision in this

Yeah, I don't think be should have any weapons returned, buy that's just me. He hasn't been convicted of murder so looks like he'll get his guns and trail cams back with the rest of his stuff. Guaranteed. Ugh!
I don’t believe there is any way a felon on probation gets any kind of gun returned to him.

I don’t believe there is any way a felon on probation gets any kind of gun returned to him.
Agree, if they are all returned I imagine they will be held by someone affiliated with the voter fraud case until next summer so they can reclose the murder case. He just can’t have them himself I think.

Over 2 years to come up with a defense that fits with the loads of evidence against BM. So the defense is going with" a homeless woman's picture on the internet looks like Suzanne." I wouldn't put it past his lawyers, BM, or BMs family to Photoshop images.
They wouldn't have to. Of course there are women out there who resemble SM:
  • Blue Bicycle
  • Helmet
Wasn't that BM's description, given to the store clerk at the Poncha Springs Market after his rummage through their garbage bin? There must be thousands who bear that image. (It's never been clear to me whether BM intended that as two descriptors or as one that he was simply continuing on the second line. In either case, isn't it interesting that those are the ONLY two items that were found of SM away from the Morphew home? And there is evidence of BM in the vicinity of each within hours of SM's disappearance.)

The truth is there are plenty of women who resemble SM in appearance, some from a distance, others up close.
  • MM1 is the spitting image of SM.
  • BM's girlfriend, Sho claims that some say she resembles SM (not sure whether she meant with wig or without... and not sure I agree.)
  • Some of SM's friends look a bit like SM.
  • SM's sister looks a bit like SM.
IE is grasping at straws and suggesting substance where there is none. I hope it pays well enough to put BM in the hands of an appointed public defender when he is next charged.

• Blue Bicycle
  • Helmet
Wasn't that BM's description, given to the store clerk at the Poncha Springs Market after his rummage through their garbage bin? There must be thousands who bear that image. (It's never been clear to me whether BM intended that as two descriptors or as one that he was simply continuing on the second line. In either case, isn't it interesting that those are the ONLY two items that were found of SM away from the Morphew home? And there is evidence of BM in the vicinity of each within hours of SM's disappearance.)

The truth is there are plenty of women who resemble SM in appearance, some from a distance, others up close.
  • BM's girlfriend, Sho claims that some say she resembles SM (not sure whether she meant with wig or without... and not sure I agree.)
IE is grasping at straws and suggesting substance where there is none. I hope it pays well enough to put BM in the hands of an appointed public defender when he is next charged.
That woman was mentioned in a May document. I am going to assume that tip was followed up on since it is now September and we will hear nothing more. I agree it had nothing to do with a request to get possessions returned and was used only to get it inserted in a court record. It has no value to defense if it was followed up as a tip in my opinion. There has been legal “dirty dealings” on both sides of this case in my opinion.

• Blue Bicycle
  • Helmet

RSBM
IE is grasping at straws and suggesting substance where there is none.
Hasn't she done this from the beginning?

He said he had a gun and was running after chipmunks to shoot them. This are his own words. You don't believe him?
Hey! Lighten up! This is Bwana Barry. And the Bwana knows:
  • The skilled game hunter always pursues chipmunks. Narrows the target range, ya' see?. And besides, chipmunks are virtually deaf, dumb and blind. They rarely even look up!
  • The skilled game hunter, having closed the range, will have ample opportunity to stop,
  • square-up
  • for the off-hand shot,
  • align his open sights,
  • commence rhythmic breathing,
  • thence h--o--l---l--d ---
  • and, as his near motionless, congruent sights reach a point sufficiently adjusted for this now close-at-hand, below-grade beast,
  • ... squeeeeze... off that single, sure, and lethal shot.
There ya' be! Dead meat; piece a'cake; likely even with my eyes closed :cool: !
Really, it's no bigee. I've bagged at least 95 of these rapacious rodents. But who's countin'...
Hadn't you heard? o_O Where've ya' been Agent G ?!?

There seems to be an odd idea in this case that where BM's own statements corroborate the prosecution case (e.g the location evidence or the left turn), they should be ignored because he is a liar.

So he gets kind of double benefit of lying.

That is not really how damaging admissions work in the Court room.
I am not sure the prosecution had an idea before Barry told them what he was doing. I think they might have had an idea an encounter occurred outside while she was sunbathing based on her last photo to JL and then Barry arriving and his phone going into airplane mode, door left open on the truck and Suzanne never being heard from again. He claimed they had this nice evening, sharing soup for lunch, walking, steak dinner and sex. Yet, no mention of chasing chipmunks, hunting for his daughter days old dead turkey or getting a blade change until after they mentioned what his truck and/or phone data showed. Then, he had the stories to account for the unusual activity. I do believe there is truth in his lies. I think he said he was shooting chipmunks because he needed a reason he was chasing Suzanne or possibly running around the house trying to get it (if she ran in and locked the door, he would need to run around to a different door). He said he was looking for the turkey because I think he was removing trail cams or checking trail cams from that day. Both of those stories are believable and could be true, but the fact he didn't say that at first and only said it after detectives told him what the data showed.. I dunno I think he was doing those things, but he just leaves out that he was hunting Suzanne. :(

As much as I don't want him to get them back, I think he will. I just think it's wrong, but I'm not the law or a lawyer and have no decision in this

Yeah, I don't think be should have any weapons returned, buy that's just me. He hasn't been convicted of murder so looks like he'll get his guns and trail cams back with the rest of his stuff. Guaranteed. Ugh!
His own admissions of tranqing deer for their antlers should at the minimum keep him from getting a hunting license for many years. He is all over the place and I can't imagine it's safe to be running all over with a loaded gun shooting chipmunks either. Just seems like he isn't very smart when it comes to hunting and while he wasn't charged with anything related to his admissions, some of what he admitted to is illegal.

I am not sure the prosecution had an idea before Barry told them what he was doing. I think they might have had an idea an encounter occurred outside while she was sunbathing based on her last photo to JL and then Barry arriving and his phone going into airplane mode, door left open on the truck and Suzanne never being heard from again. He claimed they had this nice evening, sharing soup for lunch, walking, steak dinner and sex. Yet, no mention of chasing chipmunks, hunting for his daughter days old dead turkey or getting a blade change until after they mentioned what his truck and/or phone data showed. Then, he had the stories to account for the unusual activity. I do believe there is truth in his lies. I think he said he was shooting chipmunks because he needed a reason he was chasing Suzanne or possibly running around the house trying to get it (if she ran in and locked the door, he would need to run around to a different door). He said he was looking for the turkey because I think he was removing trail cams or checking trail cams from that day. Both of those stories are believable and could be true, but the fact he didn't say that at first and only said it after detectives told him what the data showed.. I dunno I think he was doing those things, but he just leaves out that he was hunting Suzanne. :(
I agree with you. I think it is was a strategic mistake on prosecution to take everything Barry said at face value and then try to make what they actually new fit. Nuggets…I always believed that is why defense always wanted the entire conversations played in court. And it surprised CBI because they were still puzzling it all together and sorting through everything. It will be hard core evidentiary facts and not just invalidated theories or conjecture in my opinion that will get this case back in court. And it is my opinion it will be a completely different prosecution strategy. They played their proverbial hand and lost so I think it is time for a new hand. I have long believed there was a potential case and long believed they jumped to inaccurate theories that probably wouldn’t hold up to scrutiny and I won’t ever know if my suspicions were right or wrong because they pulled the plug and surprised everyone.

I agree with you. I think it is was a strategic mistake on prosecution to take everything Barry said at face value and then try to make what they actually new fit. Nuggets…I always believed that is why defense always wanted the entire conversations played in court. And it surprised CBI because they were still puzzling it all together and sorting through everything. It will be hard core evidentiary facts and not just invalidated theories or conjecture in my opinion that will get this case back in court. And it is my opinion it will be a completely different prosecution strategy. They played their proverbial hand and lost so I think it is time for a new hand. I have long believed there was a potential case and long believed they jumped to inaccurate theories that probably wouldn’t hold up to scrutiny and I won’t ever know if my suspicions were right or wrong because they pulled the plug and surprised everyone.
The prosecution did not take everything Barry said at face value. The summary of the AA carefully explains how they did NOT take his words at face value. That’s the core issue - Barry’s own words don’t fit with his own version of events leading up to, and after, Suzanne’s disappearance.

From the AA, pgs. 125-126

SUMMARY Suzanne Morphew is missing and presumed dead, per all nationwide checks, investigative leads and absence of interactions with Jeff Libler, Sheila Oliver, and redacted. Once redacted left the Morphew house on May 5, 2020, Suzanne began to take her steps to leave Barry while Barry took steps to contro! her, incapacitate her, stage a crime scene and create his alibi for her disappearance. No “hike” existed that Saturday afternoon in Barry’s multiple interviews with CBI until a June interview, when he said they hiked to Fooses Lake. CBI allowed him to assert that a few times until they refuted the hike in his July interview. Barry was told that he was driving in Salida that afternoon, asking “Tim Backhoe” to purchase a backhoe attachment for his Bobcat. Finally, Barry put his phone in Airplane Mode that Saturday afternoon at 2:47 PM after he returned home and ran around his house at 2:44 PM. He claimed to CBI that he and Suzanne ate steaks, though he cannot describe them; that she washed sheets, though redacted said the bed was made when she left; that they had sex, though he could not describe what happened following sex; that he woke to his alarm at 4:30 AM, though no alarm was set on his phone - and his phone and his truck telematics were moving in the 3:00 AM hour; and that he had to suddenly leave for a job in Broomfield, though he did not tell his co-workers he was leaving that morning. Barry initially blamed a mountain lion for Suzanne’s death upon being notified of her bicycle recovery. In 2021, Barry blamed the turkeys for why he did not have veggie soup with Suzanne during lunch on Saturday, May 9", the deer for why his tranquilizer gun was used to explain the needle sheath recovered in the dryer, and a chipmunk for why he was running around his house after arriving home at 2:44 PM, and the firing a gun of a .22 caliber to describe his violence towards Suzanne that afternoon and the caliber of the tranquilizer darts. For his trip on May 10°, Barry explained his left turn on Highway 50 to explain the truck movement because of a bull elk sighting at 4:30 AM from two miles down the road, a left turn that placed him at the scene of Suzanne’s helmet.

Barry cannot provide a last sighting of Suzanne, only labored breathing similar to a snore, which is consistent with her being tranquilized. Barry describes her as being drunk that afternoon, which matches the effects of the tranquilizer after a few minutes. He says he is running around the house, most likely chasing Suzanne while she is conscious. Barry has admitted that he had taken Suzanne’s phone from her at least twice in the past to try to monitor or control what she was doing. There is no phone activity for Suzanne after 2:30 PM on Saturday, which is out of the norm for her typical behavior and an abrupt end following her 59 communications with Jeff Libler that morning and afternoon. By around 2:30pm on Saturday May 9", it had become clear that Barry could not control Suzanne’s insistence on leaving him and he resorted to something he has done his entire life — hunt and control Suzanne like he had hunted and controlled animals. Barry told investigators early on that he blamed alcohol for Suzanne’s change of behavior and her “distant unlovingness to him,” though she was not a heavy drinker. Barry used alcohol, drugs and chemo throughout his interviews to describe Suzanne’s independence and distancing from him, saying it was “every day” that last week. Barry finally blamed God for Suzanne’s death after being informed of the affair as a form of judgment on her and has stated repeatedly that God allowed this to happen. Barry told FBI and CBI numerous times, “No evidence exists,” which infers he knows what happened to the evidence in this case. When the Ritters called Barry at around 5:00 PM on Sunday to tell Barry they could not find Suzanne, Barry was in his hotel room and had been there since about 12:40 PM. However, he should not be there, per his alibi to be out of town for an emergency job in Broomfield. Barry told the Ritters he was at the job site. He told the FBI, CBI and CCSO he was at the job site. He left his room, took tools out of his truck and put them in the lobby to make it looked like he was returning from the site. Barry made very little attempt to contact Suzanne on his way home, or look around his house or the bike scene, because he already knew what happened to her. Setting the tools out that day was similar to what happened earlier that morning, when Suzanne’s bicycle was placed on the incline, as Deputy Brown commented, “I started to question if something criminal had occurred as it looked like the bike was purposely thrown in this location.” As of May 4, 2021, Suzanne Morphew has not been located.

I've been reading reviews on that Native Rampage Crossbow, like Barry's
Scary weapon, arrows so quiet they barely startle the animal, can skewer rabbits and from 35 ft can hit a moose piercing both lungs leaving the reviewer's target moose continuing to run for an additional 20 ft before dying from blood loss and asphyxiation
Can use from a distance of 100 ft with a scope - recommended Hawke that is apparently excellent in any conditions/background

Imagine it would be difficult to prove whether a particular crossbow was used as a murder weapon unless obvious, but in a case like Suzanne's would there be a way of proving that?
Interesting that most arrows are sold in packs of 6 or 12 on Amazon.
I wanted to see this particular model of crossbow.

Agree, if they are all returned I imagine they will be held by someone affiliated with the voter fraud case until next summer so they can reclose the murder case. He just can’t have them himself I think.
Allllright..

[So may it please the Court...,
Now comes The Whirlwind...​
  • to contest the judge's authority to direct the establishment of any sort of third-party bailment which burdens the taxpayers of Colorado, and further,
  • should such be undertaken, it would necessarilly entail some form(s) of mutually agreed upon indemnification by and from the State vouching safe Mr. Morphew's extraordinarily high value, duly-appraised weaponry, et al, should the same not receive proper care and maintenance while under the control of the bailee and/or bailee's agent.
  • In this regard, such boiler-plate, hold-harmless/non-bailment provisions as evidenced on the reverse of municipal parking lot stubs shall, if attempted/suggested, be most strenuously resisted...with such respect as may then be considered "due".
  • ;).

The prosecution did not take everything Barry said at face value. The summary of the AA carefully explains how they did NOT take his words at face value. That’s the core issue - Barry’s own words don’t fit with his own version of events leading up to, and after, Suzanne’s disappearance.

From the AA, pgs. 125-126

SUMMARY Suzanne Morphew is missing and presumed dead, per all nationwide checks, investigative leads and absence of interactions with Jeff Libler, Sheila Oliver, and redacted. Once redacted left the Morphew house on May 5, 2020, Suzanne began to take her steps to leave Barry while Barry took steps to contro! her, incapacitate her, stage a crime scene and create his alibi for her disappearance. No “hike” existed that Saturday afternoon in Barry’s multiple interviews with CBI until a June interview, when he said they hiked to Fooses Lake. CBI allowed him to assert that a few times until they refuted the hike in his July interview. Barry was told that he was driving in Salida that afternoon, asking “Tim Backhoe” to purchase a backhoe attachment for his Bobcat. Finally, Barry put his phone in Airplane Mode that Saturday afternoon at 2:47 PM after he returned home and ran around his house at 2:44 PM. He claimed to CBI that he and Suzanne ate steaks, though he cannot describe them; that she washed sheets, though redacted said the bed was made when she left; that they had sex, though he could not describe what happened following sex; that he woke to his alarm at 4:30 AM, though no alarm was set on his phone - and his phone and his truck telematics were moving in the 3:00 AM hour; and that he had to suddenly leave for a job in Broomfield, though he did not tell his co-workers he was leaving that morning. Barry initially blamed a mountain lion for Suzanne’s death upon being notified of her bicycle recovery. In 2021, Barry blamed the turkeys for why he did not have veggie soup with Suzanne during lunch on Saturday, May 9", the deer for why his tranquilizer gun was used to explain the needle sheath recovered in the dryer, and a chipmunk for why he was running around his house after arriving home at 2:44 PM, and the firing a gun of a .22 caliber to describe his violence towards Suzanne that afternoon and the caliber of the tranquilizer darts. For his trip on May 10°, Barry explained his left turn on Highway 50 to explain the truck movement because of a bull elk sighting at 4:30 AM from two miles down the road, a left turn that placed him at the scene of Suzanne’s helmet.

Barry cannot provide a last sighting of Suzanne, only labored breathing similar to a snore, which is consistent with her being tranquilized. Barry describes her as being drunk that afternoon, which matches the effects of the tranquilizer after a few minutes. He says he is running around the house, most likely chasing Suzanne while she is conscious. Barry has admitted that he had taken Suzanne’s phone from her at least twice in the past to try to monitor or control what she was doing. There is no phone activity for Suzanne after 2:30 PM on Saturday, which is out of the norm for her typical behavior and an abrupt end following her 59 communications with Jeff Libler that morning and afternoon. By around 2:30pm on Saturday May 9", it had become clear that Barry could not control Suzanne’s insistence on leaving him and he resorted to something he has done his entire life — hunt and control Suzanne like he had hunted and controlled animals. Barry told investigators early on that he blamed alcohol for Suzanne’s change of behavior and her “distant unlovingness to him,” though she was not a heavy drinker. Barry used alcohol, drugs and chemo throughout his interviews to describe Suzanne’s independence and distancing from him, saying it was “every day” that last week. Barry finally blamed God for Suzanne’s death after being informed of the affair as a form of judgment on her and has stated repeatedly that God allowed this to happen. Barry told FBI and CBI numerous times, “No evidence exists,” which infers he knows what happened to the evidence in this case. When the Ritters called Barry at around 5:00 PM on Sunday to tell Barry they could not find Suzanne, Barry was in his hotel room and had been there since about 12:40 PM. However, he should not be there, per his alibi to be out of town for an emergency job in Broomfield. Barry told the Ritters he was at the job site. He told the FBI, CBI and CCSO he was at the job site. He left his room, took tools out of his truck and put them in the lobby to make it looked like he was returning from the site. Barry made very little attempt to contact Suzanne on his way home, or look around his house or the bike scene, because he already knew what happened to her. Setting the tools out that day was similar to what happened earlier that morning, when Suzanne’s bicycle was placed on the incline, as Deputy Brown commented, “I started to question if something criminal had occurred as it looked like the bike was purposely thrown in this location.” As of May 4, 2021, Suzanne Morphew has not been located.

Yes and in hindsight you can see all the little mistakes and statements of opinion not fact not evidence of any kind circumstantial or other. It was just an arrest warrant and they would have had to self correct in a trial setting. They got the arrest warrant so all good. But it was a very sloppy AA and the judge essentially gave them advice to tighten it up at trial if you read between the lines of Judge Murphy’s comments about the AA. I don’t think anyone has argued the arrest was wrong. Just premature because the case had not been fleshed out and had a shaky foundation at that point.

That woman was mentioned in a May document. I am going to assume that tip was followed up on since it is now September and we will hear nothing more. I agree it had nothing to do with a request to get possessions returned and was used only to get it inserted in a court record. It has no value to defense if it was followed up as a tip in my opinion. There has been legal “dirty dealings” on both sides of this case in my opinion.
Follow up on a tip that someone saw Suzanne, a dead woman? This really isn’t worth having a discussion about it.

Interesting that most arrows are sold in packs of 6 or 12 on Amazon.
I wanted to see this particular model of crossbow.

Really wouldn't like it hanging round my house, unless there's a zombie apocalypse or something, then you can just call me Daryl.
Find it difficult to believe Suzanne would want or feel comfortable with so many weapons in her home. Don't know why. Quite likely a wrong assumption too, but, doesn't fit I guess - she appeared to have been a kind person, struggle with her accepting it, then again, she probably didn't have a choice with BM around.
Also, a review I read about that particular crossbow, mentioned the mayor of Alexandria, indiana, co-hinky dink I thought. Bet Barry was the reviewer :cool:

Moo

Really wouldn't like it hanging round my house, unless there's a zombie apocalypse or something, then you can just call me Daryl.
Find it difficult to believe Suzanne would want or feel comfortable with so many weapons in her home. Don't know why. Quite likely a wrong assumption too, but, doesn't fit I guess - she appeared to have been a kind person, struggle with her accepting it, then again, she probably didn't have a choice with BM around.
Also, a review I read about that particular crossbow, mentioned the mayor of Alexandria, indiana, co-hinky dink I thought. Bet Barry was the reviewer :cool:

Moo
Woo. Hoo. ;l

^^bbm

I agree but also be reminded that by this time in the investigation, only a couple of months before BM was arrested, he had become consistent in his approach of giving Agents information that matched the evidence he'd learned about in his prior interview.

Per the AA (pg 66/129), on 2/28/21, about 2 months before BM's arrest, SA Grusing met up with BM and told him that Agents had information to share with him. BM was anxious -- said he had a meeting in 10 minutes and wanted to know how long talking with Agents would take. SA Grusing advised BM that he had first right of refusal [to the information].

Grusing also confirmed to BM that they did want to talk to him about "the affair" -- but also the technology and other aspects, things BM could clear up for Agents.

After learning about the affair and the places where SM met up with JL, BM changed his story about when BM and SA allegedly hiked to Foos Creek -- now it could have been Thursday or Friday (and not Saturday).

However, when asked directly if after he came home Saturday if they went on a bike ride or a hike, BM replied they went on a hike--

But after SA Harris offered that BM sent a text to Crib that he was at the house and needed a few minutes, BM said he didn't even remember getting the blade changed on Saturday and doesn't know why since he has a good memory. (BM was also vague about whether or not it was Saturday that he looked at the attachment for sale for the bobcat).

SA Grusing explained that it was during this errand (with the bobcat) that SM took her "last proof of life" photo but it was not apparent to them where SM was at, and without ever looking at the photo, BM assured them she had to be at the house.

After viewing SM's last proof of life photo -- he told the Agents the photo had to be taken when he first came home for lunch because that's when she was laying outside. BM couldn't recall if SM was still laying outside when BM came home the second time.

And following the discussion above with Agents Grusing and Harris is when BM told them for the first time that when he returned home the second time, he wasn't circling the house looking for SM, but was going around shooting chipmunks. (AA pg 71/129).

While I agree that there's truth in BM's lies, I disagree that it wasn't until Feb 2021 that prosecutors had any idea what BM was doing circling the house! They'd long had evidence of the deer tranquilizer Rx and believed SM was incapacitated.

Clearly, with so much "I don't recall" by BM on this date, he wanted to leave them with something before he went back to work that afternoon so why not offer the chipmunks?

Although BM agreed to meet with the Agents later that evening following his work to continue going through the audit notebook, BM did not meet with them again until March 1, when BM again significantly altered his prior statements. MOO

ETA: I get chills every time I read that section of the AA -- knowing that BM arrived home (second time) from DSI in a rage and went after SM. SM wasn't answering the phone and I believe he ultimately saw SM on the spy camera...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288