Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w prejudice* #104

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most hunters don’t kill for sport or pleasure. They kill for food for their families. And rightfully so. They respect laws. They know precisely how to handle and care for the weapons they own and use them accordingly.
Unfortunately, a lot hunters do kill
just for the thrill, and do canned hunts.
Barry raised deer in Indiana to populate canned hunt compounds with then.

There quite a few weekend warriors. I’ve posted before a GF’s dad had a hunting reserve and he made a very good living catering to weekend warriors. Opening rifle season was literally a holiday where I grew up. I detest guns and have some vegan tendencies but I understand the people who love to hunt, the food that comes from the processing and the prize mounts people have rightfully earned. Can’t quite get into harvesting of antlers…that gets a big yuck from me.

It seems like a lot of weapons. I don’t judge, people collect all kinds of stuff. But I will judge the state of Barry’s safe, and workbench. He did not seem to treat his weapons in the manner that they should have been handled. Rules don’t apply to Barry. Let’s not forget the shell on the bedroom floor. I feel like Suzanne would have spotted it, but she was gone at that point.

No, this is not a caring father.

RSBM - I mean he literally murdered their mother, then used them as props in his trial - how much more psychopathic can you get? How much less concern for their wellbeing can a person show?

The prosecution did not take everything Barry said at face value. The summary of the AA carefully explains how they did NOT take his words at face value. That’s the core issue - Barry’s own words don’t fit with his own version of events leading up to, and after, Suzanne’s disappearance.

From the AA, pgs. 125-126

SUMMARY Suzanne Morphew is missing and presumed dead, per all nationwide checks, investigative leads and absence of interactions with Jeff Libler, Sheila Oliver, and redacted. Once redacted left the Morphew house on May 5, 2020, Suzanne began to take her steps to leave Barry while Barry took steps to contro! her, incapacitate her, stage a crime scene and create his alibi for her disappearance. No “hike” existed that Saturday afternoon in Barry’s multiple interviews with CBI until a June interview, when he said they hiked to Fooses Lake. CBI allowed him to assert that a few times until they refuted the hike in his July interview. Barry was told that he was driving in Salida that afternoon, asking “Tim Backhoe” to purchase a backhoe attachment for his Bobcat. Finally, Barry put his phone in Airplane Mode that Saturday afternoon at 2:47 PM after he returned home and ran around his house at 2:44 PM. He claimed to CBI that he and Suzanne ate steaks, though he cannot describe them; that she washed sheets, though redacted said the bed was made when she left; that they had sex, though he could not describe what happened following sex; that he woke to his alarm at 4:30 AM, though no alarm was set on his phone - and his phone and his truck telematics were moving in the 3:00 AM hour; and that he had to suddenly leave for a job in Broomfield, though he did not tell his co-workers he was leaving that morning. Barry initially blamed a mountain lion for Suzanne’s death upon being notified of her bicycle recovery. In 2021, Barry blamed the turkeys for why he did not have veggie soup with Suzanne during lunch on Saturday, May 9", the deer for why his tranquilizer gun was used to explain the needle sheath recovered in the dryer, and a chipmunk for why he was running around his house after arriving home at 2:44 PM, and the firing a gun of a .22 caliber to describe his violence towards Suzanne that afternoon and the caliber of the tranquilizer darts. For his trip on May 10°, Barry explained his left turn on Highway 50 to explain the truck movement because of a bull elk sighting at 4:30 AM from two miles down the road, a left turn that placed him at the scene of Suzanne’s helmet.

Barry cannot provide a last sighting of Suzanne, only labored breathing similar to a snore, which is consistent with her being tranquilized. Barry describes her as being drunk that afternoon, which matches the effects of the tranquilizer after a few minutes. He says he is running around the house, most likely chasing Suzanne while she is conscious. Barry has admitted that he had taken Suzanne’s phone from her at least twice in the past to try to monitor or control what she was doing. There is no phone activity for Suzanne after 2:30 PM on Saturday, which is out of the norm for her typical behavior and an abrupt end following her 59 communications with Jeff Libler that morning and afternoon. By around 2:30pm on Saturday May 9", it had become clear that Barry could not control Suzanne’s insistence on leaving him and he resorted to something he has done his entire life — hunt and control Suzanne like he had hunted and controlled animals. Barry told investigators early on that he blamed alcohol for Suzanne’s change of behavior and her “distant unlovingness to him,” though she was not a heavy drinker. Barry used alcohol, drugs and chemo throughout his interviews to describe Suzanne’s independence and distancing from him, saying it was “every day” that last week. Barry finally blamed God for Suzanne’s death after being informed of the affair as a form of judgment on her and has stated repeatedly that God allowed this to happen. Barry told FBI and CBI numerous times, “No evidence exists,” which infers he knows what happened to the evidence in this case. When the Ritters called Barry at around 5:00 PM on Sunday to tell Barry they could not find Suzanne, Barry was in his hotel room and had been there since about 12:40 PM. However, he should not be there, per his alibi to be out of town for an emergency job in Broomfield. Barry told the Ritters he was at the job site. He told the FBI, CBI and CCSO he was at the job site. He left his room, took tools out of his truck and put them in the lobby to make it looked like he was returning from the site. Barry made very little attempt to contact Suzanne on his way home, or look around his house or the bike scene, because he already knew what happened to her. Setting the tools out that day was similar to what happened earlier that morning, when Suzanne’s bicycle was placed on the incline, as Deputy Brown commented, “I started to question if something criminal had occurred as it looked like the bike was purposely thrown in this location.” As of May 4, 2021, Suzanne Morphew has not been located.

Exactly

The theory is he murdered her shortly after 2.47pm and covered it up.

This is evidenced by all the incriminating facts he can't explain, and his attempts to create an alibi. The prosecution hasn't said exactly how he did it, nor do they have to.

The judge found this convincing - he was just worried about the supposed sex offender DNA

The prosecution is not required to show what Barry was doing with tranq guns and darts. The point is the defence cannot given any convincing explanation for the highly incriminating facts and admissions ...

IMO

Suzanne is no longer alive.
BM is responsible for Suzanne no longer being alive.

Again, this was a methodical, very thorough investigation during which 135 search warrants were executed;1400 tips followed up on; 400 interviews conducted in 2 states. Through their combined efforts over a year long investigation, investigators from three agencies of LE collected, evaluated and followed the facts and evidence and ruled out:
bike accident, animal attack, abduction, Gone Girl and SM’s lover JL. That the facts and evidence they collected, evaluated and followed led to this NOT being a sudden/mysterious disappearance of a wife and Mother on Mother’s Day, rather, an intimate partner homicide staged as a disappearance the day after the homicide took place. That BM murdered Suzanne Saturday afternoon, 5/9/20 and staged her disappearance for the following day Sunday, 5/10/20 to buy himself time to- hide/dispose of SM, and to get outta dodge to create distance and have an alibi, dump other evidence he used during commission of his crime, and to get a significant head start on LE (from around 2:47pm on 5/9/20 to just before 6:00pm on 5/10/20 when Ritter’s called LE, so roughly 26-27 hours head start before LE became involved), to misdirect LE/LE investigation and send them on a wild goose chase/s. Indeed LE caught up, persevered, did their due diligence, followed the facts and all the evidence which led them to this being a staged/set-up disappearance complete with a staged bike, staged bike helmet, and a staged alibi. Again to reiterate, this was a very thorough investigation during which all LE involved via due diligence collected and evaluated all the facts and evidence which led all three agencies of LE to include the FBI, to conclude after following and evaluating all the evidence and ruling out other possibilities and other potential suspects (JL), that BM murdered SM and staged it as a disappearance.

This was NOT just some bumbling keystone cops trying to railroad an innocent man. If that were the case, the local CCSO/Spezze wouldn’t have asked for assistance from state and federal authorities.
As we know, Spezze did the right thing by calling on CBI and FBI for assistance and to utilize resources he/his department didn’t/doesn’t have access to. If anyone believes three agencies of LE to include the FBI are lying and involved in some conspiracy to railroad an innocent man, I own swamp land in Florida I’d like to sell ya. IMO some following this case willfully ignore the facts and evidence and would like to think they are smarter than the FBI/FBI experts, so be it and LOL. And again, just because CBI/CBI agents opined they felt BM’s arrest was premature, does not negate the facts and evidence in this case. And let’s also not forget CBI agents also stated that although they thought the arrest was premature, all the evidence led to BM being responsible and knew they had the right guy in custody.

The Investigation was audited by legendary FBI SA Grusing before being handed over to the DA.

During 1st attempt of prosecuting BM, DA/Prosecutors unintentionally fumbled the ball so to speak with some help from Judge L. issuing harshest sanctions by eliminating most of prosecution expert witnesses. Thankfully prosecution motion to dismiss without prejudice was granted, allowing for BM to be re-charged/re-arrested and brought to trial at future date.

DA/Prosecutors, whomever they are/have been elected/appointed at the time of future trial, need to be able to prove to a jury in a court of law, BARD, that BM murdered Suzanne.
They will do this by coming (back) to the table more prepared, organized, confident, and with a well crafted, killer (pardon the pun) court/trial strategy, ready to present and explain the facts and all the evidence clearly and methodically to a jury in a way the jury can understand for them to be able to put the pieces together/connect the dots of all the facts and evidence which lead to only one person responsible, the one person who had the means, motive AND the opportunity as the last person to be with SM when she stopped communicating with the world-BM, and return a guilty verdict and sentence of LWOP- BM sent back to where he got a taste of living for several months- a concrete cage, where he belongs and deserves to be for the rest of his life for taking the life of his wife of three decades, his daughters’ Mother, a beloved daughter, sibling and friend who by all accounts which I believe to be true was a gentle, kind, caring, loving, beautiful soul.

SM was all those things and also an imperfect human just like all of us and she did not deserve to have her life stolen from her because she had grown unhappy in her relationship with BM (for good reason imo), fell in love with someone else, was done putting up with BM’s abuse and control and wanted to civilly divorce him.

It’s just too bad BM couldn’t do what most normal people do when they find out their partner doesn’t want to be with them anymore and taken it like a man, cut his losses, grieve the relationship and eventually move on. Most mature adults handle it that way or something similar if for no other reason, for their children’s sake and emotional well-being. But no, BM thinks of only BM’s needs and desires and decided he wasn’t having any of it, couldn’t stand to lose control of SM and giving up the life he’d become accustomed to nor willing to split their assets. So instead of doing the stable, right thing and grant SM a civil divorce, he decided to do what countless other selfish, narcissistic, controlling, bad actor husbands and subjects of countless Dateline, 48 hours etc. episodes did, stupidly thought murder was a better option/solution than getting divorced. And just like countless others who ended up getting caught, thought he could outsmart LE and that no one would care about SM and it would all quickly go away. He was wrong! He just got luckier than some other bad, evil dudes and husbands due to his hunting and landscaping skills, he knew how to hide/conceal a body really well, had the $$$$ (some of it Suzanne’s grrrrr) to hire a top Defense team and prosecutor’s fumbled the ball at first attempt at prosecuting him. What a lucky guy!
For now.

I firmly believe he’s living on borrowed time as a free man, that his luck will eventually run out, that they will come for him again and that ultimately, Suzanne will get the justice she rightfully deserves.

Tick tock, BM.

IMHOO

#FindSuzanne
#BeingSuzanneHome
#JUSTICEFORSUZANNE

Last edited:
When Iris begins this BS - as Iris has done in her motion - about a homeless woman perhaps being Suzanne, why not remind the defense and the judge that even her husband, the former defendant, thinks she is dead
After the final hearing he shouted to the media and assembled crowd “The killer is still out there”. Attach the the damn video to their motion!

When Iris begins this BS - as Iris has done in her motion - about a homeless woman perhaps being Suzanne, why not remind the defense and the judge that even her husband, the former defendant, thinks she is dead
After the final hearing he shouted to the media and assembled crowd “The killer is still out there”. Attach the the damn video to their motion!

The killer is still out there alright ...

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

What could possibly happen with a weapon that can shoot from a great distance in the hands of such a man?

ETA: As long as "the killer is still out there" and the investigation continues against him, were I judge, I wouldn't give him anything beyond a straw he could shoot peas out of, provided they were cooked to the point of mush.

Last edited by a moderator:
I grew up in an area of hunters. I now live across the country and have many friends who are hunters and farmers. They don’t enjoy the thrill of killing anything. But of all the ones I’ve known, they keep what they kill and their families eat the meat year round.
If I knew someone like Barry and his friends, I would not like them nor respect them. I see them as killers, not hunters. So I can agree with any of you who feel that way. I have just not seen that for myself.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

What could possibly happen with a weapon that can shoot from a great distance in the hands of such a man?

ETA: As long as "the killer is still out there" and the investigation continues against him, were I judge, I wouldn't give him anything beyond a straw he could shoot peas out of, provided they were cooked to the point of mush.

There's a long list of people who would reasonably worry about the thought of Barry, free, bearing his weapons. Moo
Wonder if SD is one of them? Presumably by the time they met at the dumpster that one time in October (*cough cough), Barry's weapons weren't readily available to him, he was under surveillance, LE present frequently - wondering if she is feeling a little differently now?

Moo

Last edited by a moderator:
The last we heard he was technically homeless. Where will he store all of the property if he is successful in having it returned?

I seriously think BM may want his stuff back so that he can sell it for cash to pay bills. Or to pay IE for legal fees, which have to be massive.

jmo

It seems like a lot of weapons. I don’t judge, people collect all kinds of stuff. But I will judge the state of Barry’s safe, and workbench. He did not seem to treat his weapons in the manner that they should have been handled. Rules don’t apply to Barry. Let’s not forget the shell on the bedroom floor. I feel like Suzanne would have spotted it, but she was gone at that point.
I don't think it is. As a gun enthusiast I could see the specifics for each weapon he had seized. You're not hunting chipmunks with a 12 gauge or 270 or 7mm for example. You need a .22 or maybe a .17 for that. Different seasons your using different weapons to hunt.

What I did find odd was the 12 gauge had no serial number. So it's either really old or it was modified somehow.

I'm not a hunter really, more like a shooting enthusiast and I have a similar number of firearms.

I grew up in an area of hunters. I now live across the country and have many friends who are hunters and farmers. They don’t enjoy the thrill of killing anything. But of all the ones I’ve known, they keep what they kill and their families eat the meat year round.
If I knew someone like Barry and his friends, I would not like them nor respect them. I see them as killers, not hunters. So I can agree with any of you who feel that way. I have just not seen that for myself.
Agree. Hunters are careful, and also mindful of rules that keep wildlife healthy and abundant.

Evidenced by what behavior? I'm not sure I agree that he doesn't care deeply about his daughters as there has been nothing that tells me differently. Making sure his daughters had a home should he end of in jail was a biggie for me. He could have put them in a rental and paid rent. Leaving PP because his daughters were fearful was another and I believe they were fearful at that point, but not of their dad.
Wow, this is a tall task. Not one I'm up for alone. Let's start here:

1. Texts and threats to SM
2. Leaving her on Mother's Day after sharing steaks the night before. wink wink
3. 14 cameras in evidence he'd like returned 1-97 of most recent motion and NONE of them were working that week?
4. Never joining a search or vigil for SM
5. Blaming the poor mountain lion
6. Girlfriend before she was declared deceased by evidence.
7. Voting for their mom, because he knew she would have anyway?

I'll stop there; before we even get to the alleged murder, he's on par for the "Horrible Father of the Year" already.

IMO

Again, this was a methodical, very thorough investigation during which 135 search warrants were executed;1400 tips followed up on; 400 interviews conducted in 2 states. Through their combined efforts over a year long investigation, investigators from three agencies of LE collected, evaluated and followed the facts and evidence and ruled out:
bike accident, animal attack, abduction, Gone Girl and SM’s lover JL. That the facts and evidence they collected, evaluated and followed led to this NOT being a sudden/mysterious disappearance of a wife and Mother on Mother’s Day, rather, an intimate partner homicide staged as a disappearance the day after the homicide took place. That BM murdered Suzanne Saturday afternoon, 5/9/20 and staged her disappearance for the following day Sunday, 5/10/20 to buy himself time to- hide/dispose of SM, and to get outta dodge to create distance and have an alibi, dump other evidence he used during commission of his crime, and to get a significant head start on LE (from around 2:47pm on 5/9/20 to just before 6:00pm on 5/10/20 when Ritter’s called LE, so roughly 26-27 hours head start before LE became involved), to misdirect LE/LE investigation and send them on a wild goose chase/s. Indeed LE caught up, persevered, did their due diligence, followed the facts and all the evidence which led them to this being a staged/set-up disappearance complete with a staged bike, staged bike helmet, and a staged alibi. Again to reiterate, this was a very thorough investigation during which all LE involved via due diligence collected and evaluated all the facts and evidence which led all three agencies of LE to include the FBI, to conclude after following and evaluating all the evidence and ruling out other possibilities and other potential suspects (JL), that BM murdered SM and staged it as a disappearance.

This was NOT just some bumbling keystone cops trying to railroad an innocent man. If that were the case, the local CCSO/Spezze wouldn’t have asked for assistance from state and federal authorities.
As we know, Spezze did the right thing by calling on CBI and FBI for assistance and to utilize resources he/his department didn’t/doesn’t have access to. If anyone believes three agencies of LE to include the FBI are lying and involved in some conspiracy to railroad an innocent man, I own swamp land in Florida I’d like to sell ya. IMO some following this case willfully ignore the facts and evidence and would like to think they are smarter than the FBI/FBI experts, so be it and LOL. And again, just because CBI/CBI agents opined they felt BM’s arrest was premature, does not negate the facts and evidence in this case. And let’s also not forget CBI agents also stated that although they thought the arrest was premature, all the evidence led to BM being responsible and knew they had the right guy in custody.

The Investigation was audited by legendary FBI SA Grusing before being handed over to the DA.

During 1st attempt of prosecuting BM, DA/Prosecutors unintentionally fumbled the ball so to speak with some help from Judge L. issuing harshest sanctions by eliminating most of prosecution expert witnesses. Thankfully prosecution motion to dismiss without prejudice was granted, allowing for BM to be re-charged/re-arrested and brought to trial at future date.

DA/Prosecutors, whomever they are/have been elected/appointed at the time of future trial, need to be able to prove to a jury in a court of law, BARD, that BM murdered Suzanne.
They will do this by coming (back) to the table more prepared, organized, confident, and with a well crafted, killer (pardon the pun) court/trial strategy, ready to present and explain the facts and all the evidence clearly and methodically to a jury in a way the jury can understand for them to be able to put the pieces together/connect the dots of all the facts and evidence which lead to only one person responsible, the one person who had the means, motive AND the opportunity as the last person to be with SM when she stopped communicating with the world-BM, and return a guilty verdict and sentence of LWOP- BM sent back to where he got a taste of living for several months- a concrete cage, where he belongs and deserves to be for the rest of his life for taking the life of his wife of three decades, his daughters’ Mother, a beloved daughter, sibling and friend who by all accounts which I believe to be true was a gentle, kind, caring, loving, beautiful soul.

SM was all those things and also an imperfect human just like all of us and she did not deserve to have her life stolen from her because she had grown unhappy in her relationship with BM (for good reason imo), fell in love with someone else, was done putting up with BM’s abuse and control and wanted to civilly divorce him.

It’s just too bad BM couldn’t do what most normal people do when they find out their partner doesn’t want to be with them anymore and taken it like a man, cut his losses, grieve the relationship and eventually move on. Most mature adults handle it that way or something similar if for no other reason, for their children’s sake and emotional well-being. But no, BM thinks of only BM’s needs and desires and decided he wasn’t having any of it, couldn’t stand to lose control of SM and giving up the life he’d become accustomed to nor willing to split their assets. So instead of doing the stable, right thing and grant SM a civil divorce, he decided to do what countless other selfish, narcissistic, controlling, bad actor husbands and subjects of countless Dateline, 48 hours etc. episodes did, stupidly thought murder was a better option/solution than getting divorced. And just like countless others who ended up getting caught, thought he could outsmart LE and that no one would care about SM and it would all quickly go away. He was wrong! He just got luckier than some other bad, evil dudes and husbands due to his hunting and landscaping skills, he knew how to hide/conceal a body really well, had the $$$$ (some of it Suzanne’s grrrrr) to hire a top Defense team and prosecutor’s fumbled the ball at first attempt at prosecuting him. What a lucky guy!
For now.

I firmly believe he’s living on borrowed time as a free man, that his luck will eventually run out, that they will come for him again and that ultimately, Suzanne will get the justice she rightfully deserves.

Tick tock, BM.

IMHOO

#FindSuzanne
#BeingSuzanneHome
#JUSTICEFORSUZANNE
So good to see you @fcavanaugh, as always a well thought out and written post!

IMO

For now.

Tick tock, BM.

IMHOO

#FindSuzanne
#BeingSuzanneHome
#JUSTICEFORSUZANNE
Wow, ALL of this!!! ^^^^^ But especially the BBM. This would make a nice addition to the closing argument by the prosecutor at BM’s next trial (minus the part about the prosecution fumbling during the first trial ;)). And, there WILL be one. I have no doubt! Tick, tock indeed! MOO!

IMO

For now.

Tick tock, BM.

IMHOO

#FindSuzanne
#BeingSuzanneHome
#JUSTICEFORSUZANNE
Fabulous! Every word!

SA Grusing explained that it was during this errand (with the bobcat) that SM took her "last proof of life" photo but it was not apparent to them where SM was at, and without ever looking at the photo, BM assured them she had to be at the house.

After viewing SM's last proof of life photo -- he told the Agents the photo had to be taken when he first came home for lunch because that's when she was laying outside. BM couldn't recall if SM was still laying outside when BM came home the second time.

RSBM

I wanted to come back to this comment. The point is not whether Bazz was finally telling the truth or not. The point is his evolving story cannot be rationalised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member