Found Deceased TN - Eliza "Liza" Fletcher, 34, Abducted While Jogging, Memphis, 2022 *arrest* #5

Hoping you all can help me understand the timeline here...so Henderson is accused of rape when he was 14 years old. I am sure as a juvenile his charges were expunged. Then this dirtbag gets out in 2020, and in 2021 rapes another woman. Guessing his DNA was taken from from the rape kit results but because they didn't previously have Henderson's
DNA the results just sat there. Now, with the unfortunate set of circumstances with the untimely passing of Liza and the collection of his DNA, LE was able to nail him. Am I right on the sequencing of events as devastating as they are?

My understanding of the sequence is a little bit different.

As I understand it:

The 2021 rape kit was caught in a backlog of unprocessed rape kits, and not sent to be tested until early summer, 2022.

The test results returned late August, were sent to CODIS, the national DNA database, and returned a match with CH, on Sept 5. (Presumably his DNA had been entered because of his earlier violent crime conviction, prison sentence, etc.

Unfortunately, in the mean time, Eliza had been kidnapped and murdered. Since LE had the violent kidnapping on video, they rushed the DNA processing of his sandals, (which he’d evidently lost in the struggle,) and the match with his CODIS DNA came back fast. And as you said, they nailed him!

My understanding of the sequence is a little bit different.

As I understand it:

The 2021 rape kit was caught in a backlog of unprocessed rape kits, and not sent to be tested until early summer, 2022.

The test results returned late August, were sent to CODIS, the national DNA database, and returned a match with CH, on Sept 5. (Presumably his DNA had been entered because of his earlier violent crime conviction, prison sentence, etc.

Unfortunately, in the mean time, Eliza had been kidnapped and murdered. Since LE had the violent kidnapping on video, they rushed the DNA processing of his sandals, (which he’d evidently lost in the struggle,) and the match with his CODIS DNA came back fast. And as you said, they nailed him!

That’s my understanding too. The skeptical part of me finds the timing of the DNA results coming back on 9/5/22 a little coincidental? Is it possible they came back earlier and were overlooked?

This case so reminds me of little 13 yo Hania Aguilar in NC. Her rapist and killer was out literally walking the streets when he kidnappped and killed her while she was outside waiting to get into the car to get to school.

Another career criminal, who had done this many times and was out because NC was backlogged on over 15,000 rape kit tests.

Massive backlog of untested rape kits is 'a public safety issue' that may be letting offenders slip away, experts warn

I'm still following Hania's 2018 case and it's heartbreaking how slow the wheels of justice move for little brown girls.

Hania walked outside to her aunt's vehicle parked just outside their apartment to start the vehicle to warm up the cab before they left for school when her killer jumped in the vehicle and took off with Hania. Her killer should have never been out of custody and released in error. :mad:

ETA: And two investigators losing their job was no consolation...

Last edited:
I wonder if it is because men don’t always believe that women were raped. They might tend to think sex was consensual, and now the lady is angry with the guy because he dropped her. They project own experiences, own feelings, onto these cases. I think women are more sensitive in these matters, but in general, victim-blaming and even more, victim-distrust, are prevalent in the society.
Imo, bordering on male chauvinism..(not trying to pick on gentlemen on the forum)

That’s my understanding too. The skeptical part of me finds the timing of the DNA results coming back on 9/5/22 a little coincidental? Is it possible they came back earlier and were overlooked?
I also feel this is hinky timing. Was his name in that Sept 21 rape file? Like maybe the woman knew or thought she who it was? And then he comes up in Eliza’s disappearance from the shoe DNA and all the sudden the 2021 results are “published”? Hmmmm

I also feel this is hinky timing. Was his name in that Sept 21 rape file? Like maybe the woman knew or thought she who it was? And then he comes up in Eliza’s disappearance from the shoe DNA and all the sudden the 2021 results are “published”? Hmmmm

As much as I am skeptical, I am certain they would not lie about the dates. This test kit and results need to be trial ready. LE would be foolish to possibly get this evidence disqualified by trying to cover up or lessen their culpability for Eliza's death. This would be one time where I don't have a question on some choices LE makes.

As much as I am skeptical, I am certain they would not lie about the dates. This test kit and results need to be trial ready. LE would be foolish to possibly get this evidence disqualified by trying to cover up or lessen their culpability for Eliza's death. This would be one time where I don't have a question on some choices LE makes.
I agree, the dates are what they are. The behind-the-scenes timeline of testing to results to Codis to match seems too coincidental. IMO

If the assault took place at the end of Sept and wasn't submitted until the end of Dec... it appears a bit longer than 24 weeks but that was certainly just an estimate of turnaround time. Assuming there was no backlog - as per a previous post with link by another member.

Police are now required to pick up sexual assault kits from hospitals within 48 hours rather than 7 days and officers have to submit the kits for testing within 30 days instead of 60.

At the TBI, it currently takes about 24 weeks to turnaround a sexual assault kit.

I wonder if the Sept 2021 victim received a tracking number and was notified?

Donna Nelson, the crime laboratory regional supervisor with the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation, explained that every victim who consents to a sexual assault examination will get an ID number that will allow them to get real-time update on the status of their evidence through an online portal.

Last edited:
He was already a suspect in the 2021 kidnapping/rape. But MPD did not expedite the kit for some reason.

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) — The man charged with abducting and killing a Tennessee teacher this month was a suspect in a 2021 kidnapping and sexual case, but his indictment over those allegations didn’t occur until Thursday because of the timing in testing his DNA.

Well, isn't this interesting. It seems MPD linked the two cases before the results hit CODIS on Sep 5th. I bet they didn't pull the Sep 2021 kit until MPD submitted Eliza's. IMO

In a statement, the TBI said that MPD first made them aware on Sept. 4 that a sexual assault kit submission could be linked to another kit—one for an assault that occurred in September of 2021 in which Abston, also known as Cleotha Henderson, may have been a suspect.

Crime laboratories have increased their capacity significantly, but they are not able to eliminate backlogs because the demand continues to exceed the increases made in capacity. Also, federal funding programs to reduce backlogs in crime laboratories are not designed to address untested evidence stored in law enforcement agencies. The issue with rape kit backlogs is little different than other forms of forensic casework backlogs. The backlog of untested rape kits is due in part to the volume of rape kits and lack of capacity for crime labs to process them, but another significant factor is that police agencies haven’t sent many of the kits for testing. For example, if the detective investigating the sexual assault doesn’t believe the case is strong enough to move forward with prosecution or if the case resolves early in the process with a plea bargain, the rape kit might never be sent for testing. Instead, the kits remained in police storage.

One of two. Either they get the money to eliminate the backlog and hire contractors, or they use criminal pathology students and offer them internship. I know some young students, they are super bright and easily educable and probably would like an internship in a forensic lab for their resumes. Sorry, but it is solvable. Training tor DNA processing can’t take years. Millions of dollars and nothing changing means there is a system error.

Well, isn't this interesting. It seems MPD linked the two cases before the results hit CODIS on Sep 5th. I bet they didn't pull the Sep 2021 kit until MPD submitted Eliza's. IMO

In a statement, the TBI said that MPD first made them aware on Sept. 4 that a sexual assault kit submission could be linked to another kit—one for an assault that occurred in September of 2021 in which Abston, also known as Cleotha Henderson, may have been a suspect.

Oh wow!! Because they had his actual name and information in that case. This is so, so bad.

One of two. Either they get the money to eliminate the backlog and hire contractors, or they use criminal pathology students and offer them internship. I know some young students, they are super bright and easily educable and probably would like an internship in a forensic lab for their resumes. Sorry, but it is solvable. Training tor DNA processing can’t take years. Millions of dollars and nothing changing means there is a system error.
Also if it’s financial and we are only discussing financial concerns how much did this horrific crime cost, and will cost, the system?! Unreal!!

My feeling is, private commercial companies are slowly on the decline, some had layoffs. Maybe outsource the job to them? I simply can’t understand why rape kits are so costly to process. DNA is DNA.
Yes, I would like to know the reason as well. My GUESS is manpower. It obviously can be done in the blink of an eye when the impetus is there, as we witnessed here in the case of EF.

The backlog in processing a single rape kit can have far-reaching, and devastating consequences. If one separates out rape and views it as a crime only unto itself, the bigger picture is missed: That of a violent person who is liable to maim and murder as well as rape, and as long as they’re out roaming free in society there is the potential for others to be victimized.

Short story here. I had a friend years ago who was raped. Guy crashed through her kitchen window, she fought like a tiger, but he won the fight and went on to rape more women, the last known victim awakened in the night with a pillow over her face. Although my friend’s rape was, of course, violent by definition, the level of violence by this beast was escalating.

Unbelievably, a man we worked with happened to be sitting for jury selection for this trial. When he realized that it was for the trial of my friend’s rapist, he said ‘no, that can’t be it. I was told the trial will be for a violent crime”. Rape IS VIOLENT. By definition. If a man will rape, there is no reason to believe that he won’t be violent in other ways, including murder. Violence is violence. MOO.

We need to get the backlog taken care of.

Yes, I would like to know the reason as well. My GUESS is manpower. It obviously can be done in the blink of an eye when the impetus is there, as we witnessed here in the case of EF.

The backlog in processing a single rape kit can have far-reaching, and devastating consequences. If one separates out rape and views it as a crime only unto itself, the bigger picture is missed: That of a violent person who is liable to maim and murder as well as rape, and as long as they’re out roaming free in society there is the potential for others to be victimized.

Short story here. I had a friend years ago who was raped. Guy crashed through her kitchen window, she fought like a tiger, but he won the fight and went on to rape more women, the last known victim awakened in the night with a pillow over her face. Although my friend’s rape was, of course, violent by definition, the level of violence by this beast was escalating.

Unbelievably, a man we worked with happened to be sitting for jury selection for this trial. When he realized that it was for the trial of my friend’s rapist, he said ‘no, that can’t be it. I was told the trial will be for a violent crime”. Rape IS VIOLENT. By definition. If a man will rape, there is no reason to believe that he won’t be violent in other ways, including murder. MOO.

Wow… yes, it’s violent and is bad enough on it’s own and can traumatize for a lifetime but even worse than that the violence can escalate.

Omg. This happened in Canada too with Paul Bernardo who killed 2 teens while his DNA waited to be tested against multiple sexual assault kits taken.
It has probably happened sooo many times and will happen again if this practice doesn’t change.
This backlog and lack of attention by LE is the reason these criminals are so brazen and casual. The criminals are free to do as they please with very little expectation of being caught.

IMO.

The details of the 9/21/21 kidnapping may confirm a common MO where CA-H is out stalking in the early morning hours for victims.

I have read where the kidnapping in 2000 of the prominent lawyer occurred in the "early morning hours" of May 25th, EF at 4:30am and the 9/21/21 victim report is showing as 7am. Not sure what time the actual attack occurred and where. Wonder how she was able to get away without being killed and if she resided at the Oliver residence or taken/dropped off there?

Also wondering if the intent is a combination of theft initially for ATM cards for money and then turns into Rape and Murder.

I was very much surprised to find out that the majority of suicides would fall on spring (and I assumed, late autumn), and the majority of violent crime - on the summer. And that each increase of ambient temperature by 10 degrees would be accompanied by increase in all forms of violence. (If sun doesn’t make you happy, it makes you irritable, in short). Maybe CA/CH is that type of a seasonal criminal, or maybe, it was all year round, and we only know about late spring/summer/early autumn ones. It would be interesting to look at his adolescent criminal record to see the pattern. This would allow to search for other victims. I am positive there will be some, and not far, because he doesn’t bother to travel far or conceal his traces. I think it is important because think of it, some other families may need a closure.

i hate to be judgmental when i don't know those responsible and have never done the job they do, but this just seems either incredibly incompetent or just plain lazy to me...

I find the rape backlog issue to be such a failure of political opportunity.
Imagine a senator who stands up and says, I feel strongly that a big-data-connected repository of results from rapid analysis of this rape backlog would result in more assured criminal prosecutions of bad guys,
And I myself am donating $10,000 to get us started,
And I humbly ask, and also assertively challenge, major companies in America who feel strongly about justice for women and girls to put up $100M each toward the cause if they are publicly listed, and $10M each if they are held privately or are in industries that can provide unique ancillary development service to this effort.
Let’s all prove it, together. Let’s put up to reconstitute what we just saw in COVID - acres of travel nurses in convention centers - let’s put up acres of genetic scientists in temporary labs and clear and digitize the biggest treasure trove of justice we have in the US, which is hundreds of thousands of rape kits gathering dust. Let’s answer these questions while the victims are still alive and can show us the face of justice. Let’s set an audacious goal of clearing every 1Y+ backlogged rape kit in the 50 states and digitize results for federal match.

Set up a leadership. Healthcare supply chain guy. This becomes the big medical supply chain benevolence project of 2023

FB would put up $100M
Amazon $100M
Microsoft $100M
Elon would give $100M
Goldman $100M
JPM Chase $100M
Blackrock $100M
Blackstone $100M though obligated only to $10 - they’d go beyond
Gates Foundation $100M
Rubenstein $100M
Social Capital $10M
Big 4 accounting, $10M each
VMWare $10M
KKR $10M
Andreessen Horowitz $10M
Stripe $10M
Cisco $10M, give us some volunteer engineers
Verizon $10M

Can grow this idea out massively. Bill name is Making Women Whole and Bringing Science and Justice Forward. This is so doable. It needs an evangelist. Could quickly have $1B devoted to buildings out labs and fixing the enterprise data architecture.

This only needs one visionary senator.

I would love personally to devote my life to selling and building this.

Unbelievably, a man we worked with happened to be sitting for jury selection for this trial. When he realized that it was for the trial of my friend’s rapist, he said ‘no, that can’t be it. I was told the trial will be for a violent crime”. Rape IS VIOLENT. By definition. If a man will rape, there is no reason to believe that he won’t be violent in other ways, including murder. Violence is violence. MOO.

Rape is violent. Like murder, rape is about control. It might be that a rapist would escalate to murder, or a murderer would limit himself with only rape and let the person go, but both are about extreme violence.

What did the man you knew expect to be a violent crime? A bar fight? A murder? A rape is so much in the violent crime group…

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back