CONVICTION OVERTURNED MD - Hae Min Lee, 17, Baltimore, 13 Jan 1999

Status
Not open for further replies.
U.S. Supreme Court Won't Hear Adnan Syed's Appeal, Keeping 'Serial' Subject In Prison

<snip> The U.S. Supreme Court announced Monday that it will not consider an appeal filed by convicted killer Adnan Syed, the main subject of the first season of the podcast Serial, leaving in place a state appeals court decision keeping him in prison for life.

U.S. Supreme Court Won't Hear Adnan Syed's Appeal, Keeping 'Serial' Subject In Prison

‘Serial’ Podcast Case Is Declined by Supreme Court
The justices left in place a ruling by Maryland’s highest court denying Adnan Syed a new trial in the 1999 killing of Hae Min Lee.

‘Serial’ Podcast Case Is Declined by Supreme Court

There's a lot of talk about Adnan loaning his car and cell to Jay on the day of the murder and that was part of his premeditation.

On the flip side to this, noone appears to be questioning whether Jay made sure his car was unavailable that day and the following day (as per Jenn's testimony that she drove Jay around Baltimore picking up shovels from dumpsters, taking to other dumpsters to discard the clothes he was wearing on the day of Hae's murder) in order for him to appear in an almost ghost like fashion those two days.

I've read that Jay's possible motive was because Hae was going to confront him on his cheating Stephanie with other girls. Hae could have called Adnan's cell that afternoon (see here for phone logs to and from Adnans cell) at 2:36pm and got Jay on the end of the line.
Jay could have easily have asked Hae to meet him right there and then to discuss his philandering ways at a secluded spot and carried out the murder.

Everything that comes out of Jay's mouth with regard to Adnan, I think that that is in fact him and his actions. I think in his 'story' of lies he therefore needs and did have an accomplice - that cannot be him as he is Adnan in the story he describes. I have to think his accomplice is Jenn, the Detective's daughter from another County. (See excessive calls to and from her on day of murder)
I also have to think this is why the investigating detectives focused entirely on Adnan and believed what Jay and Jenn told them unconditionally, despite the admitted lies and inconsistencies.

I have so so much more thoughts on the whole matter, but will stop at that for now.

I have looked several times but cannot find a thread here at all on the case of Greg Witman. The Witman's appear in an episode of Serial. I have put it in the search several ways and nothing comes up. It's such a big case I'm surprised so I must not be doing something right. The case is fascinating and so tragic. I tend to think that Zach Witman could not have done what he is accused of, but I'm not sure. Wanted to find more info on it and see what people think here. There are 2 podcasts on the case, one by Generation Why and the other by a new podcast which I absolutely love called "The Insight Podcast". Both end up thinking Zach must have done it, but I still have my doubts. It just seems like he would have been drenched in blood had he been the killer. There is also a site his parents made for him trying to get him a new trial. His first attorney was CG, so that's why Sarah interviewed the parents and mentions the case on one of the later episodes of Serial. Thanks to anyone who knows anything about this and if there is a thread here discussing the case somewhere.
Zachary Witman is now home and living with his parents in rural Pennsylvania. They moved from the home where Greg was killed when they found out Zach was coming home. In order to get out, Zach had to plead guilty to a lesser charge of manslaughter. There was no way around it. Since he didn't do so well in his first trial, Zach felt he may have had the same results and didn't want to chance it. He had served 20 years.

I don't know why there is no thread for this case either. It's so mysterious. And there has been a new lead discussed in link. I saw this documentary on the ID channel the other night and was hooked. His mom reported that Zach's trial attorney had no experts testify while the prosecution did. Doesn't sound like the attorney put his all in. I ache for Zach and Greg's mom and dad.

I wish there was a link for this case but I don't know how to start one on this new format.

Adnan did have an alibi for being at the mosque and who was willing to testify. There’s a whole other level of questionable doings by the authorities surrounding that.

Also, I just want to say Serial is the worst source of info on this case. It’s not even worth listening to if you’re looking for solid facts.

Adnan's story on Serial was my introduction to Podcasts. Since then I have listened to other podcasts, watched the HBO documentary and read Rabia's book. In my opinion, which seems different than others here, I don't think he is guilty. I don't think Jay was looked at close enough and Don definitely was not looked at close enough.

PS Pleiades7 - you are right, Serial is the worst source of information for this case.

“Prosecutors are requesting Mr. Syed be given a new trial. They said they weren’t asserting that Mr. Syed is innocent. ‘However, for all the reasons set forth below, the State no longer has confidence in the integrity of the conviction’

Wow! Just Wow! I'm sure this kind of thing has happened before but I have definitely never heard of it. Seems like usually Prosecutors drag their feet even when there is a LOT of compelling evidence brought forward. I've even seen cases where they resisted releasing someone after DNA excluded them. I hope we get to find out what they found soon!

“Prosecutors are requesting Mr. Syed be given a new trial. They said they weren’t asserting that Mr. Syed is innocent. ‘However, for all the reasons set forth below, the State no longer has confidence in the integrity of the conviction’

No matter if people think he is guilty or not guilty, he deserves a new trial.

IMO JMO MOO

Highlights from this article:
•Now, prosecutors say, the approximately year-long probe revealed two alternative suspects who were known to the authorities 23 years ago but not disclosed to Syed's defense.

•One of the suspects had threatened Lee, saying "he would make her (Ms. Lee) disappear. He would kill her," according to the filing.

•The investigation also found a separate document from the original trial file, in which a different person relayed information that can be viewed as a motive for that same suspect to harm the victim, prosecutors said.

•Prosecutors also said new information revealed that one of the suspects was convicted of attacking a woman in her vehicle, and that one of the suspects was convicted of engaging in serial rape and sexual assault.

This is WILD. It’s so much worse than I imagined.

-There’s two other suspects, who may have been involved individually or together. No names disclosed at this time

-Police knew of a second suspect who had motive to kill Hae, and had, in the presence of others, threatened to kill her and make her disappear. They also had information from a third person corroborating motive. This wasn’t disclosed to the defense which is a Brady violation.

-Her car was located behind a house belonging to a suspect’s family member, in which they lived at the time.

-One of the suspects had documented allegations of violence against a woman known to him at the time.

-Since then, one of the suspects has been convicted of attacking a woman in her car.

-One of the suspects has been convicted of multiple instances of rape of vulnerable victims.

-One of the suspects was cleared improperly after failing a polygraph. A different type of test was administered and suspect was cleared. Jus the fact that a polygraph was used for this is insanity.

-The cellphone data was not reliable for location purposes, the state knew this and did not disclose it to the expert who testified. The expert has since signed an affidavit expressing concerns over his testimony.

-Kristina Vinson’s version of events is likely innaccurate and Jay and Adnam did not go to her house on the 13th.

-One of the detectives who investigated has past instances of misconduct that have resulted in exonerations

This is WILD. It’s so much worse than I imagined.

-There’s two other suspects, who may have been involved individually or together. No names disclosed at this time

-Police knew of a second suspect who had motive to kill Hae, and had, in the presence of others, threatened to kill her and make her disappear. They also had information from a third person corroborating motive. This wasn’t disclosed to the defense which is a Brady violation.

-Her car was located behind a house belonging to a suspect’s family member, in which they lived at the time.

-One of the suspects had documented allegations of violence against a woman known to him at the time.

-Since then, one of the suspects has been convicted of attacking a woman in her car.

-One of the suspects has been convicted of multiple instances of rape of vulnerable victims.

-One of the suspects was cleared improperly after failing a polygraph. A different type of test was administered and suspect was cleared. Jus the fact that a polygraph was used for this is insanity.

-The cellphone data was not reliable for location purposes, the state knew this and did not disclose it to the expert who testified. The expert has since signed an affidavit expressing concerns over his testimony.

-Kristina Vinson’s version of events is likely innaccurate and Jay and Adnam did not go to her house on the 13th.

-One of the detectives who investigated has past instances of misconduct that have resulted in exonerations

It makes me so mad the injustice. The things that are coming out now should of come out a long time ago.

IMO JMO MOO

just like making a murder show the defense team spred all this and the public gets involved serial went viral and was huge only reason for this and its terrible. funny how the friend took and showed the police where all the evidence was. guy's guilty as heck and that lady who put that podcast out should be ashamed

just like making a murder show the defense team spred all this and the public gets involved serial went viral and was huge only reason for this and its terrible. funny how the friend took and showed the police where all the evidence was. guy's guilty as heck and that lady who put that podcast out should be ashamed
I don't know @ashhouston - much of what is being reported now was not included in the podcast or the documentary following that.
•The prosecutor is saying that there were other suspects that were not properly vetted and there existence wasn't disclosed to Syed's original defense lawyer or to the one's who handled his appeals.
•At least one of these other suspects have records of similar crimes.
•LE had a witness who stated one of these suspects threatened to kill Lee.
•AND her car happened to be in the backyard belonging to one of their families?
After the prosecution admitted that their cell phone evidence was faulty because the locations shown on billing records is not an accurate record of usage location - what evidence from the original trial do you still feel is so compelling?

I'm really intruiged to see how this plays out. If Adnan didn't do it and someone else, does that mean all Jay's statements in the interviews were junk? This is what i could never get my head around in this case. Was Jay forced to lie? Blackmailed? Why else would you give testimony that wasn't true to convict one of your close friends. The whole case is bizarre.

<snip> Prosecutors have yet to decide if they will seek a new trial or drop the charges against Mr. Syed...
“At this time, we will remove the shackles from Mr. Syed,” Judge Phinn declared after announcing her decision. She ordered Mr. Syed to serve home detention and gave prosecutors 30 days to decide whether to move for a new trial or drop the case.

Wow - this is amazing. I'm about half-way through the "Serial" podcast & did also see the HBO series a while back.

I agree there may not have been enough real physical evidence to convict him. However, based on the circumstantial evidence - he's probably guilty.

It will be interesting to see what the "new" evidence is, and also whether or not a new trial will be sought in this case.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member