Queen Elizabeth II, longest-reigning British monarch, dead at 96

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sophie has often looked uncharacteristically as if she is looking sternly at people this past week. I think it is just her trying to contain her profound grief / mask her emotions as she was very close to the Queen. I don’t think she is cross, just very upset and trying to hold it together in public.

In the picture of her looking in Catherine’s direction I notice her husband Edward, next to her, is looking to the left the same as her - as is William, slightly, on her other side. Maybe they are all looking down the aisle at something/somebody?

I also think an older person somewhat behind Princess Catherine had to leave their seat and exit the area during one of the sermons. I didn't get to see who it was. Maybe she heard a bit of commotion from that.

Most of all I must congratulate King Charles III

He must be profoundly exhausted by now, yet he made the promenade just as his sons and all the regiments did. I hope he got in a car, got a fresh drink and got to put his feet up a bit before the final ceremony.

He really deserves a long sleep and a couple of quiet days of downtime to recover, although I fear he still has duties that will not give him total rest.

I noticed in the service, when they sang the anthem, they were singing God Save the King !

Indeed. God Save the King.

My immense congratulations to the fine men and women who worked on this funeral and who did that unbelievable promenade from Westminster Cathedral to the Wellington Arch.

Many of the participants looked to be senior and I was amazed how well they held up. That was not an easy stroll in the park.

The Royal Navy seemed to have put it's best beefiest Navvies at the front. Impressive horsepower, and also many women in the ranks.

Stunning representation.

Wouldn’t you just be so unbelievably proud if you knew one of those pall bearers or a chorister or any of the military and guards, in fact everyone who has taken part today and in the run up to it. What a momentous occasion for all involved.

I'm playing The Pipes and Drums of the London Scottish Regiment.

Yesterday they made me cry like a waterfall. After seeing all these fine people turned out, the bagpipes are making me feel proud and strong.

Any other Scots folk on here? I grew up with pipe bands played for birthdays, Burn's Supper, Christmas and New Years. My parents loved Jimmy Shand and the fine voice of Andy Stewart. That is happy nostalgic music for me now.

Glad to see the ladies didn't wear mourning veils.

Reactions: JDG
So glad today has gone smoothly, a huge amount of work has gone into making sure it would. I hope the family can have a few quiet days off to reflect.

In other news I’ve developed a girl crush on Kate, how can she look so stunning in grief? She’s an amazing ambassador for our little country. I’m feeling optimistic about a new era of British royalty.
She managed to be breathtaking at Philip's funeral. I think I still have screenshots on my phone. She is one beautiful young woman.

I'm playing The Pipes and Drums of the London Scottish Regiment.

Yesterday they made me cry like a waterfall. After seeing all these fine people turned out, the bagpipes are making me feel proud and strong.

Any other Scots folk on here? I grew up with pipe bands played for birthdays, Burn's Supper, Christmas and New Years. My parents loved Jimmy Shand and the fine voice of Andy Stewart. That is happy nostalgic music for me now.

Me Too

Looking forward to the Renaissance festival, its going now, I go in Oct.

Mike McNutt on pipes, Cu Dubh

The Committal Service was very emotional, traditional and lovely.

It ended about ten minutes ago, the last ceremony will be a private service for immediate family only this evening.

As the coffin was lowered, both Lady Louise and Prince Andrew became visibly upset. Likely others as well, so hard to watch Queen Elizabeth being lowered into the vault.

It was very nice to see some of the other great-grandchildren in attendance.

Along with Prince George, Princess Charlotte were Mia Tindall & Sienna and Isla Phillips. Lovely.

1663605709678.png

Dating back to 1661, the Orb — a gold globe featuring a cross — is intended to symbolize that the monarch's power comes from God. The Sceptre, created for Charles II, has been used at every coronation since 1661.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member