Found Deceased NC - Devin Clark, 18, Lyric Woods, 14, found murdered after going missing in Alamance Co., 16 Sep 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question: Is it possible that the man they brought to hospital the day before their bodies were found very close by, is the suspect, and he just isn’t ‘booked’ because he’s still in hospital? Or would they be able to officialy arrest him while in hospital/operation/icu/…? MOO, hypothetical question
I think this is most likely the case too.

I just don’t understand. If the have the petition (which is like a warrant), they are permitted to take the suspect into custody. If they knew where he was, why delay?

They may not have anywhere to place him at this time. I am in NY and the new laws regarding juveniles has impacted us pretty hard -- there is physically no place to put these kids. It's a nightmare for people in the child welfare field.

Devin's mother has hired a lawyer, and they were on the news, stating that she still has not been able to personally identify her son yet, though Lyric's family did, implying there is something being covered up or otherwise hinky. I certainly understand why the mother would feel this way, and as a parent, my heart breaks for her. But my thoughts are that LE do not normally use family members to identify persons who have been brutally murdered. If the neighbor is correct, it sounds like the two teens may have been shot 10-15 times. If any, or several of them had been bullets to the face or head, I think LE was doing her a favor by not allowing her to identify him. That is why they use DNA and dental records. I think the only reason Lyric was personally identified is bc her grandfather was one of the first responders who answered the call that discovered her, and he was able to identify her. And my guess is that he wishes he had not seen her the way he most likely found her. Once the bodies have been released, and a mortician has worked with them, hopefully they will be presentable enough that the grieving mothers and families can see and say goodbye to their children. JMO

Last edited:
Devin's mother has hired a lawyer now, and they have been on the news, stating that she has not been able to personally identify her son yet, though Lyric's family did, implying there is something being covered up or otherwise hinky. I certainly understand why the mother would feel this way, and as a parent, my heart breaks for her. But my thoughts are that LE do not normally use family members to identify persons who have been brutally murdered. If the neighbor is correct, it sounds like the two teens may have been shot 10-15 times. If any, or several of them had been bullets in the face or head, I think LE was doing her a favor by not allowing her to identify him. That is why they use DNA and dental records. I think the only reason Lyric was personally identified is bc her grandfather was one of the first responders who answered the call that discovered her. And my guess is that he wishes he had not seen her the way he most likely found her. Once the bodies have been released, and a mortician has worked with the bodies, hopefully they will be presentable enough that the grieving mothers and families can see and say goodbye to their children. JMO
These have been my thoughts as well....

Devin's mother has hired a lawyer, and they were on the news, stating that she still has not been able to personally identify her son yet, though Lyric's family did, implying there is something being covered up or otherwise hinky. I certainly understand why the mother would feel this way, and as a parent, my heart breaks for her. But my thoughts are that LE do not normally use family members to identify persons who have been brutally murdered. If the neighbor is correct, it sounds like the two teens may have been shot 10-15 times. If any, or several of them had been bullets in the face or head, I think LE was doing her a favor by not allowing her to identify him. That is why they use DNA and dental records. I think the only reason Lyric was personally identified is bc her grandfather was one of the first responders who answered the call that discovered her. And my guess is that he wishes he had not seen her the way he most likely found her. Once the bodies have been released, and a mortician has worked with them, hopefully they will be presentable enough that the grieving mothers and families can see and say goodbye to their children. JMO
I agree....Lyric's grandfather was a first responder, he may have done the family identification.

They may not have anywhere to place him at this time. I am in NY and the new laws regarding juveniles has impacted us pretty hard -- there is physically no place to put these kids. It's a nightmare for people in the child welfare field.
I would hope they could find something for a cold blooded murderer .

I would hope they could find something for a cold blooded murderer .

I imagine if he is found guilty to be a cold-blooded murderer they will be able to remand him to an adult correctional facility. The 14th Amendment gives us the right to due process in this country. At this time he is a juvenile accused of a crime and has the right to be treated as such under that state's laws.

17-year-old remains at-large more than 24 hours after being charged with killing 2 high schoolers

The suspect's name has not been released because they are not an adult. Since December 2019, 16- and 17-year-olds who commit crimes in North Carolina are not automatically charged as adults. However, with probable cause, a judge has the ability to transfer the case into the adult justice system.

David White lives just feet from where the two friends were found dead with gunshot wounds. He says he heard about 20 gunshots Friday night.

“I heard about close to 10 shots going off, like an automatic gun, and then, a pause for a little bit and five more shots went off,” he said.

Jmo
This person will be tried as an adult.

17-year-old remains at-large more than 24 hours after being charged with killing 2 high schoolers

The suspect's name has not been released because they are not an adult. Since December 2019, 16- and 17-year-olds who commit crimes in North Carolina are not automatically charged as adults. However, with probable cause, a judge has the ability to transfer the case into the adult justice system.

David White lives just feet from where the two friends were found dead with gunshot wounds. He says he heard about 20 gunshots Friday night.

“I heard about close to 10 shots going off, like an automatic gun, and then, a pause for a little bit and five more shots went off,” he said.

Jmo
This person will be tried as an adult.

Agree. It’s a class A felony x2. And I think there will be a lot of pressure from the public to have the suspect sit trial as an adult.

The article was corrected at some point last night. The reporter must have realized her error.
It makes no sense that Clark's case would be investigated/prosecuted in a different county if the shooting happened in Orange County. By all accounts, the Orange County DA is prosecuting this case. Seems the family of DC contacted Mebane PD (i.e., Alamance County) on Sunday (prior to the bodies being located) to make an inquiry about his whereabouts.

Wednesday, September 21, 2022 8:30PM

The Orange County Sheriff's Office said Wednesday that there's nothing new to report on the search for the 17-year-old who investigators have charged with two counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of Lyric Woods, 14, and Devin Clark, 18.

[..]

Orange County's acting district attorney and the attorney who will be trying the case said a decision has not yet been made on whether to try the suspect as an adult. That call won't be made until an arrest is made.

[..]

Clark's family contacted the Mebane Police Department on Sunday with concerns about his whereabouts. An officer entered him into NCIC at approximately 1:42 pm.

Devin's mother has hired a lawyer, and they were on the news, stating that she still has not been able to personally identify her son yet, though Lyric's family did, implying there is something being covered up or otherwise hinky. I certainly understand why the mother would feel this way, and as a parent, my heart breaks for her. But my thoughts are that LE do not normally use family members to identify persons who have been brutally murdered. If the neighbor is correct, it sounds like the two teens may have been shot 10-15 times. If any, or several of them had been bullets to the face or head, I think LE was doing her a favor by not allowing her to identify him. That is why they use DNA and dental records. I think the only reason Lyric was personally identified is bc her grandfather was one of the first responders who answered the call that discovered her, and he was able to identify her. And my guess is that he wishes he had not seen her the way he most likely found her. Once the bodies have been released, and a mortician has worked with them, hopefully they will be presentable enough that the grieving mothers and families can see and say goodbye to their children. JMO

I think there's more going on here that is not being reported. First and foremost, this is an ongoing, active investigation and as others have reported, DC lived with a different parent than his mother where I think it possible the father has been the primary contact with law enforcement. I disagree that there's been any disparity in procedure here where the ME (not the family) is making the determination of positive identification. MOO

Family members have confirmed the bodies were Lyric Woods, 14, and Devin Clark, 18. OCSO said it believed those were the victims but would not confirm until the medical examiner released positive identification. Both had been reported missing over the weekend.

According to the sheriff's office, family members reported Woods missing Saturday afternoon and a deputy entered the information in the National Crime Information Center index (NCIC) around 3:44 pm. Clark's family contacted the Mebane Police Department on Sunday with concerns about his whereabouts. An officer entered him into NCIC at approximately 1:42 pm.

Both families were at the crime scene Monday.

I was just looking at images of the towns they lived in, looks like a very lovely community, I am sure the entire community is hurting right now. I worry for the kids that lost a bit of carefree life through all of this, I see the schools have counselors available .

I would even go so far as to say that the media and the attorney are taking advantage of Devin's mother's grief and anger about the crime itself for sensationalism, or something, which is sad. MOO

In trying to nail down a timeline, has it been indicated what time the neighbor heard the gunshots? It just says Friday night, which I'm guessing was actually early Saturday morning. The other witness quoted in MSM states they saw Lyric in a vehicle around 3am.

(I'm bad at posting links, all this info about the witnesses is from links already posted.)

edit: typo

In trying to nail down a timeline, has it been indicated what time the neighbor heard the gunshots? It just says Friday night, which I'm guessing was actually early Saturday morning. The other witness quoted in MSM states they saw Lyric in a vehicle around 3am.

(I'm bad at posting links, all this info about the witnesses is from links already posted.)

edit: typo

I’ve been looking for the time Mr White heard the gunshots, but it haven’t found anything yet. I’ll let you know if I can find anything.

I’m going to take a guess and say that some kids around town might suspect who did this. I’m actually surprised the name hasn’t been leaked.
<modsnip> I am pretty surprised that the name of the suspect has been has closely held as it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here’s another question. Sheriff Blackwood thanked the FBI in the press release about issuing the juvenile petition. I’m not well-versed in all the details of FBI involvement. I can see the local authorities seeking FBI assistance, but does the FBI only get involved if a crime violates a federal statute? Homicide is not a federal crime, but I know they’ll get involved if there was a kidnapping, etc that crosses state lines. Hoping someone with more knowledge can enlighten me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow