CONVICTION OVERTURNED MD - Hae Min Lee, 17, Baltimore, 13 Jan 1999

Status
Not open for further replies.

"Adnan Syed's murder conviction has been vacated after he served 23 years in prison for the murder of his girlfriend Hae Min Lee following a ruling on Monday in a Baltimore courtroom.

Following an hours long hearing in Baltimore's Circuit Court, Syed's 2000 conviction for the 1999 murder was vacated.

He is being released to home detention as the judge ordered a new trial. Circuit Court Judge Melissa M. Phinn said that her decision was 'in the interest of justice.' As the judge's ruling was read out, the courtroom erupted in applause."

Conviction overturned and the judge ruled Adnan released under home detention. Orders a new trial.
This makes me so very happy. But also sad for Hae’s family.

I also believe both families were kept in the dark about the alternate suspects.

Hopefully now justice will be served on the real killer.

JMO IMO MOO

I'm really intruiged to see how this plays out. If Adnan didn't do it and someone else, does that mean all Jay's statements in the interviews were junk? This is what i could never get my head around in this case. Was Jay forced to lie? Blackmailed? Why else would you give testimony that wasn't true to convict one of your close friends. The whole case is bizarre.
He was selling drugs from his grandmother's house. If the police knew and gave him an out why wouldn't he take it?
Sounds like lying wasn't that unusual for him anyway!
I think the police thought they knew that Adnan did it. They made a timeline that fitted and found people to agree with it. (Wouldn't be hard to eventually convince a stoner kid that it was true! Especially if it kept him out of trouble too)

Maryland Attorney General Brian Frosh, whose office represented the state during Syed's appeals, issued a statement Monday evening saying that "among the other serious problems with the motion to vacate, the allegations related to Brady violations are incorrect."

"Neither State's Attorney Mosby nor anyone from her office bothered to consult with either the Assistant State's Attorney who prosecuted the case or with anyone in my office regarding these alleged violations," Frosh said. "The file in this case was made available on several occasions to the defense."

Thank goodness someone still has some common sense.

He was selling drugs from his grandmother's house. If the police knew and gave him an out why wouldn't he take it?
Sounds like lying wasn't that unusual for him anyway!
I think the police thought they knew that Adnan did it. They made a timeline that fitted and found people to agree with it. (Wouldn't be hard to eventually convince a stoner kid that it was true! Especially if it kept him out of trouble too)
Yeah, that's where my head is at as well. I kept coming back to the episode of Serial where they go and talk to Jay and his reaction to Adnan maintaining his innocence was, "I can't believe he's still lying."

It would make sense that the police told him they knew Adnan did it but they needed a witness to solidify their case. They put Jay in a position where they could get him on other charges if he didn't cooperate and they convinced him that Adnan was this dangerous murderer. They said a lot on Serial that Jay and Adnan were more acquaintances than friends, so it would also make sense if Jay didn't know Adnan well enough to reject this theory about him and he didn't really care about the consequences of implementing him because they weren't really friends to begin with (and he needed to save himself from other charges). IMO

Definitely speculation but just trying to think through the Jay piece. I'm wondering how Jay will fit into the investigation of the new suspects, if at all. And curious if there are any consequences at this point if this all proves that he was lying under oath.

"Adnan Syed's murder conviction has been vacated after he served 23 years in prison for the murder of his girlfriend Hae Min Lee following a ruling on Monday in a Baltimore courtroom.

Following an hours long hearing in Baltimore's Circuit Court, Syed's 2000 conviction for the 1999 murder was vacated.

He is being released to home detention as the judge ordered a new trial. Circuit Court Judge Melissa M. Phinn said that her decision was 'in the interest of justice.' As the judge's ruling was read out, the courtroom erupted in applause."
I hope they find out who really killed Lee. So sad that they had the wrong guy all this time while the real killer was out free.

Maryland Attorney General Brian Frosh, whose office represented the state during Syed's appeals, issued a statement Monday evening saying that "among the other serious problems with the motion to vacate, the allegations related to Brady violations are incorrect."

"Neither State's Attorney Mosby nor anyone from her office bothered to consult with either the Assistant State's Attorney who prosecuted the case or with anyone in my office regarding these alleged violations," Frosh said. "The file in this case was made available on several occasions to the defense."

Thank goodness someone still has some common sense.

I don't understand. Is the attorney general in a different office than the state's attorneys?

I don't understand. Is the attorney general in a different office than the state's attorneys?
That was my question too. Here is what I found:
What is the difference between the Maryland Attorney General and Local State's Attorneys?
The Attorney General is the legal counsel for the State of Maryland. In comparison, State's Attorneys represent each county and Baltimore City and they are responsible for prosecuting crimes against persons and non-state entities. As such, this office provides legal advice and assistance to state agencies, and investigates and prosecutes crimes against the state. In Maryland, State's Attorneys are independently elected officials and do not come under the authority or supervision of the Attorney General. The decision to prosecute a criminal case or not, lies within the sound discretion of the State's Attorney.

I hope they find out who really killed Lee. So sad that they had the wrong guy all this time while the real killer was out free.

Her clothes and her rape kit were never tested for dna until now. I’m willing to bet they got some results back and that’s why they rushed this, even though publicly they’ve said they don’t know anything yet. This is just speculation on my part tho

Her clothes and her rape kit were never tested for dna until now. I’m willing to bet they got some results back and that’s why they rushed this, even though publicly they’ve said they don’t know anything yet. This is just speculation on my part tho
Why wouldn’t they test it for DNA?!!

Why wouldn’t they test it for DNA?!!
My suspicion... apparently they were under a lot of pressure from the Korean community because of a murder that had happened not long before Hae was killed... I imagine they wanted to get this solved as quickly as possible for that reason, so they set their sights on Adnan. DNA from another person might have complicated that. I don't know that this is definitely what happened obviously but I'm not sure of any other reason why they wouldn't have tested it

I don’t think they have the results just yet. I think the state will recharge AS and then drop the charge if/when they don’t implicate AS.

Yeah, that's where my head is at as well. I kept coming back to the episode of Serial where they go and talk to Jay and his reaction to Adnan maintaining his innocence was, "I can't believe he's still lying."

It would make sense that the police told him they knew Adnan did it but they needed a witness to solidify their case. They put Jay in a position where they could get him on other charges if he didn't cooperate and they convinced him that Adnan was this dangerous murderer. They said a lot on Serial that Jay and Adnan were more acquaintances than friends, so it would also make sense if Jay didn't know Adnan well enough to reject this theory about him and he didn't really care about the consequences of implementing him because they weren't really friends to begin with (and he needed to save himself from other charges). IMO

Definitely speculation but just trying to think through the Jay piece. I'm wondering how Jay will fit into the investigation of the new suspects, if at all. And curious if there are any consequences at this point if this all proves that he was lying under oath.

I agree. I think was what also interesting is that on the update on the serial podcast didn't they say that the detective that interviewed Jay was the same corrupt one that had put another person away who was found to be innocent?

I wonder what will happen with Jay now.

Does anybody know the motive to kill Hae?

Not talking about her ex boyfriend but what would the motive be for others to want t kill her?

So ,I had a lot of fun researching so many different things about this case and it really interesting connections all over the place. I think he is actually innocent. Anyway the video store JAY worked at was close to Jackie's hair place ,which is right around the corner from where Joe Methany lived (murderer) .Not connected to the case at all ,just like the places are on the same strip. Anyway I hope to see them name the suspects..

Last edited:
So ,I had a lot of fun researching so many different things about this case and it really interesting connections all over the place. I think he is actually innocent. Anyway the video store JAY worked at was close to Jackie's hair place ,which is right around the corner from where Joe Methany lived (murderer) .Not connected to the case at all ,just like the places are on the same strip. Anyway I hope to see them name the suspects..

I’ve been following this case for a long time and I think he is innocent as well. I would be very shocked if it turned out he actually did it.

I hope they reopen the case and investigate the other suspects. I’m interested to know who they are and why they were not named to begin with.

just like making a murder show the defense team spred all this and the public gets involved serial went viral and was huge only reason for this and its terrible. funny how the friend took and showed the police where all the evidence was. guy's guilty as heck and that lady who put that podcast out should be ashamed
That's not true. Jay only allegedly told the cops the location of the car when the recorder was off to flip the tape. He also didn't take them to the body. It was common knowledge where the body was found since the news covered it. The state tells you Jay Wilds cannot be trusted. What evidence do you think Jay took and showed the police. There was no physical evidence that Adnan was involved. Jay was in trouble with the cops and the fed him all the information he supposedly gave them. He changed his story multiple times including giving four different locations of the trunk pop. You should actually listen with the intent to learn and understand what happened. Listen to the first season of these two podcast: Undisclosed and Truth & Justice (originally titled Serial Dynasty). You might just find out how poorly the investigation was conducted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member