Found Deceased ME-Theo Ferrara, 14, Last seen on Flying Point Rd, Freeport-22 Sept 2022

Ilex

Reaction score
Theo Ferrara age 14 has been missing from his home on Flyping Point Rd since yesterday afternoon in Freeport. He was last seen walking toward Brunswick.
a7df3181-4837-451e-b2cd-a50e619dd3dc-medium16x9_missing2.JPG

So the report says he was walking toward Brunswick, so I'm assuming that means going towards Goose Cove or in a northern direction. I wonder if he went to Goose Point? Maybe got injured? The articles state they haven't used any volunteers yet for the searches because they don't want to have too many scents out there for the dogs. I'm hoping they find him today. It was really cold yesterday.

From the Freeport Maine Police:
Freeport Community,
Thank you to all that have expressed interest in helping search for Theo Ferrara. The Maine Department of Inland Fisheries & Wildlife is taking point in the search and rescue efforts along with the assistance of Brunswick, Maine Police Department, Maine Marine Resources Department, and Maine Association for Search And Rescue (MASAR). We are in the process of putting an organized search together, but we ask that people refrain from self-searching the wooded areas of Flying Point Rd, Chase Reserve, and Bunganuc Rd, so the K-9 teams can continue to search those areas. While we appreciate everyone’s interest to help, self deploying to the area will only hinder the organized searches. Just be aware if you live in this area, search teams may be seen on your property. We ask that any information be given to the tip line: 207-725-5521, option 2, then option 6.

They've had some credible leads. Been out with dogs. The Portland Press reports there was a hit where Theo was last seen. They're asking residents to check any outside cams and those in the immediate area to check their property. So hoping they find him before nightfall. Police say they've received credible tips amid the search for missing Freeport teen
Noting from the article:

... They believe he was seen heading towards Brunswick and that’s where they’ve concentrated their search efforts on the ground, with drones in the air and along the shore.

“Right now, we’re focusing on within a mile or so of Theo’s residence,” Lt. Jason Luce with the Maine Warden Service said. “We’ve had several credible witnesses that have put him at a certain location and we’re obviously concentrating on those areas.”

SEP 24, 2022
[...]

Nathaniel Goodman, Freeport's police chief, asked the public not to self-search for Ferrara, but if you live or travel near the area of Flying Point Road and Bunganuc Road in Freeport and Brunswick, there is something you can do.

"We're really asking that people search their ring cameras, talk to their neighbors, and reach out if you have any information," Goodman said.

Goodman said even dashcam footage could be helpful to their investigation, especially if it was taken between 4:30 to 8:30 p.m. Thursday.

Goodman and Luce also asked those living in that area to check any buildings or sheds on their property.

[...]

The search for Theo has expanded. "Efforts are focused this weekend on wooded areas and trails in the area of Flying Point Road in Freeport and Bunganuc Road in Brunswick."
They're still asking for people to check their trail cams and ring cams. This boy is only 14 years old. He left home wearing a white windbreaker, tshirt, neon colored shorts and royal blue backpack. He left without his phone. Search expands for missing Freeport teen

Search expands for missing Freeport teen
- Theo has no history of running away

- LE says there’s no indication he has left the area.

Authorities continue search for Freeport teen missing since Thursday

- “We’re asking (the public) specifically to look from 4:30 to 8 p.m. Thursday. If you were in that Flying Point Road-Bunganuc Road corridor from here to Brunswick,” Goodman said Saturday. He encouraged residents to search their Ring cameras and talk to neighbors.

- Police dogs had located a scent near where Ferrara was last spotted, but Goodman offered no further details on those efforts Saturday.

- There is no evidence of any foul play, Luce said.

Last edited:
Search expands for missing Freeport teen
- Theo has no history of running away

- LE says there’s no indication he has left the area.

Authorities continue search for Freeport teen missing since Thursday

- “We’re asking (the public) specifically to look from 4:30 to 8 p.m. Thursday. If you were in that Flying Point Road-Bunganuc Road corridor from here to Brunswick,” Goodman said Saturday. He encouraged residents to search their Ring cameras and talk to neighbors.

- Police dogs had located a scent near where Ferrara was last spotted, but Goodman offered no further details on those efforts Saturday.

- There is no evidence of any foul play, Luce said.
There's so many areas he could have walked into that are troublesome in that area. There are a good number of trail cams, hopefully the owners are looking through them. Sounds like he may have been looking for an area to access the beach? Hoping he had some things in that backpack to keep him warm. I had read somewhere, can't remember where, that a local man had suggested the Chase reserve. At the time I thought that might be a bit far for him to have gone from his home, but if they're looking in the Buganuc Rd. area, then maybe he did go that far.

There's so many areas he could have walked into that are troublesome in that area. There are a good number of trail cams, hopefully the owners are looking through them. Sounds like he may have been looking for an area to access the beach? Hoping he had some things in that backpack to keep him warm.
Troublesome meaning the terrain, criminal activity, or something else?

Hopefully his flyer is being distributed frequently and widely. Those neon shorts and royal blue backpack should stand out. MOO

Troublesome meaning the terrain, criminal activity, or something else?

Hopefully his flyer is being distributed frequently and widely. Those neon shorts and royal blue backpack should stand out. MOO
Troublesome meaning terrain. There are areas on the trails off Calderwood and Chase that look innocent enough but can be problematic, especially when wet. I've gone off the trail a few times and gotten turned around (stupid I know, but when you're young you can be impulsive) With the rain and fog that day, it's possible he slipped somewhere. With Calderwood you can go down on the beach and I've seen people fall on the rocks. My other concern is that he took a wrong turn on the loop and headed in the wrong direction. If it's starting to get dark a person not familiar with the trails could take a wrong turn and get lost. You can view the trails here and see they intersect and how easy it would be to take a wrong turn, especially for a young person if it's getting dark. East Freeport Trails - Google My Maps

Troublesome meaning terrain. There are areas on the trails off Calderwood and Chase that look innocent enough but can be problematic, especially when wet. I've gone off the trail a few times and gotten turned around (stupid I know, but when you're young you can be impulsive) With the rain and fog that day, it's possible he slipped somewhere. With Calderwood you can go down on the beach and I've seen people fall on the rocks. My other concern is that he took a wrong turn on the loop and headed in the wrong direction. If it's starting to get dark a person not familiar with the trails could take a wrong turn and get lost. You can view the trails here and see they intersect and how easy it would be to take a wrong turn, especially for a young person if it's getting dark. East Freeport Trails - Google My Maps
Wow, I see what you mean. Thanks so much for the map, @Ilex.

ETA: It does look like there was some precipitation earlier that day. Portland, ME Weather History | Weather Underground

SEP 25, 2022
[...]

“We’re still searching,” said Lt. Jason Luce of the Maine Warden Service. “We were able to get a Maine Forest helicopter up, and a Marine Patrol plane up. But other than that, we’re just following up on leads and any tips.”

[...]

Crews from the Maine Warden Service, State Police, Brunswick police and Marine Patrol have joined the search. Eight police dogs and 30 search-and-rescue volunteers are contributing, Luce said. Search planes were grounded Saturday amid high winds, but winds had eased Sunday.

[...]

SEP 25, 2022
The search for missing Freeport teen Theo Ferrara continued Sunday with aircraft resources.

[...]

During a briefing on the search Saturday, Freeport police Chief Nathaniel Goodman said dozens of people have reached out to the agency asking about ways to help.

“Over the next few days we’re going to try and remain in contact with the community through the school department and through social media and we will make sure that we try to allow everyone to be involved as it makes sense to allow that to happen,” Goodman said.

[...]

There will likely be opportunities for volunteers to distribute fliers and bulletins, Goodman told reporters.

“I think the family takes comfort in the fact people are showing so much support in this situation,” Goodman said.

[...]

Hmm. He left home at 4:30. He left his phone and was carrying a backpack. Sounds like he may have wanted to go off on his own for a while. Wish we had a little more info:
Was anyone home when he left?
Was there an argument at the home?
Did he attend school that day?
Has he been bullied in school?
Does he have medical issues?
Has he been unhappy or depressed?

One of the articles mentions that he did attend school that day. It is strange that he left without his phone, but then he may not have good reception in that area. He may have taken a backpack to bring some water, snacks and if he planned to go into the water a towel and some dry clothes.

SEP 25, 2022
The search for missing Freeport teen Theo Ferrara continued Sunday with aircraft resources.

[...]

During a briefing on the search Saturday, Freeport police Chief Nathaniel Goodman said dozens of people have reached out to the agency asking about ways to help.

“Over the next few days we’re going to try and remain in contact with the community through the school department and through social media and we will make sure that we try to allow everyone to be involved as it makes sense to allow that to happen,” Goodman said.

[...]

There will likely be opportunities for volunteers to distribute fliers and bulletins, Goodman told reporters.

“I think the family takes comfort in the fact people are showing so much support in this situation,” Goodman said.

[...]
I really think they should have used the weekend to enlist the help of the community to do a large scale search. The days are ticking and if he's out in the weather, time is of the essence. I get using search dogs for the first couple of days, but the nights are cold. They could have had search groups go where the dogs had already been. If he's not on those trails or in the nearby reserves, they need to rule that out quickly so they can widen their search. I feel like they're not making the wisest decisions on this.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak
Back