Found Deceased Australia - Melissa Caddick Missing After Australian SIC Raid - Sydney (NSW) - Nov 2020 #9

Inquest hears husband of alleged fraudster Melissa Caddick 'lost the plot' over ASIC investigation​

Today, under cross-examination by Dean Jordan SC, for ASIC, Mr Koletti agreed that he continued to believe that Caddick had done nothing wrong after her disappearance because he believed she was a diligent, successful and honest financial advisor.

"How did you eventually come to understand that, in fact, Ms Caddick was a fraudster?" Mr Jordan asked.

"By paying attention to court proceedings and listening to Her Honour," Mr Koletti replied.

"You now accept Ms Caddick was fraudulently pretending to be an honest and diligent financial advisor?" Mr Jordan asked.

"Yes," Mr Koletti said.

"You now accept that … you, too, were deceived by Ms Caddick into believing she was an honest and diligent financial advisor?" Mr Jordan asked.

"Yes," Mr Koletti replied.

Kate McClymont

Lachlan Gyles, SC, representing the NSW police, has been told by the coroner to stop asking Anthony Koletti leading questions. Gyles has asked: You're not very numerate, are you? You didn't win any academic prizes at school? You were at the bottom of your class, weren't you?

:eek:

Gyles telling it like it is, methinks.

At one point on Friday, Mr Grimley, who was sitting in the back of the court, had to be warned by Deputy State Coroner Elizabeth Ryan about making facial expressions during the evidence of Ms Caddick’s husband, Anthony Koletti.

Ms Ryan described Mr Grimley’s actions as “distracting” and “dramatic”.

“I’ll ask you to restrain yourself,” Ms Ryan said, adding that if he was unable to do so, he would be asked to watch proceedings in an adjoining courtroom.

Mr Grimley walked out of the courtroom at that point.

So, I guess he was unable to restrain himself.

Melissa Caddick’s foot ‘was in bag or a shark’, inquest hears​

Melissa Caddick’s foot ‘was in bag or a shark’, inquest hears

Forensic experts believe eastern suburbs fraudster Melissa Caddick’s foot was either inside a bag or a shark before drifting along the surface of the South Pacific Ocean and washing ashore.Caddick’s foot ‘was in bag or a shark’

IMO this is very telling as this is the first time that I have read that it was possible that MC's body could have been inside a bag. Well she could not have put herself inside the bag. So who did? AK IMO is acting very guilty and was possibly helped by her brother. IMO a murder investigation should be conducted after this inquest.

So the shark swallowed the foot whole - no bites? is that common for sharks. Just thinking that obviously they are implying the preservation of the foot can only be explained by being inside the stomach of a shark or a bag. Surely even that would have slightly different outcomes - stomach juices, if put in a bag - was that already in pieces. MOO

At one point on Friday, Mr Grimley, who was sitting in the back of the court, had to be warned by Deputy State Coroner Elizabeth Ryan about making facial expressions during the evidence of Ms Caddick’s husband, Anthony Koletti.

Ms Ryan described Mr Grimley’s actions as “distracting” and “dramatic”.

“I’ll ask you to restrain yourself,” Ms Ryan said, adding that if he was unable to do so, he would be asked to watch proceedings in an adjoining courtroom.

Mr Grimley walked out of the courtroom at that point.

So, I guess he was unable to restrain himself.

So, was AG making faces in response to AK or at the ASIC lawyer? The family are clearly focusing their blame onto ASIC. I guess that when you are in the anger stage of grief, it can be too painful to blame the loved one. I’m sure that the raid was distressing for Melissa, but that was because she’d been found out. Should ASIC and the police stop investigating criminals because their potential distress might cause them to suicide? No.

I honestly don’t know what to make of AK’s behaviour. I think he has some… limitations, I guess you could say. Perhaps he did not know how to explain his thoughts and motivations when Melissa disappeared so made up a series of non-sensical pieces of information that he thought would satisfy whichever police officer he was speaking to at the time. On the other hand though, some of it was just straight up lies, like deleting messages about smoking a joint with a friend. It might also be that AK thought Melissa had gone into hiding. And I do not believe he and Melissa did not discuss the ASIC raid after. I also think he’s quite unsophisticated in the way he thinks - it’s strikes me as interesting insight into his character (and Melissa’s too) when he wrote on the post it note that their love means more then possessions but left an early Christmas present of earrings with it - another “possession” - presumably because he hoped this gift would make Melissa happy. I don’t want the observation to come off as nasty - if you are a kind, decent human being that is more important than having good spelling and being smart. But honestly, a grilling at inquest is entirely appropriate given all the misinformation he provided.

I’m surprised the Grimleys are not unhappy with AK in addition to ASIC. Fairly or unfairly, if my daughter/sister’s husband took several days to inform both police and me that she was missing, I would have a hard time trusting that person again, even if I was certain he had not harmed her. Further, is not AK by his own admission the last person to see Melissa alive, not to mention her husband of nine years? Any such person would be expected to give lengthy evidence at inquest.

Melissa Caddick’s foot ‘was in bag or a shark’, inquest hears​

I heard in the Liar Liar podcast about human feet (all in sneakers) washing up in Canada, with the majority coming from missing persons, suicide. It is not such a stretch to accept that for whatever reason the severed foot surfaced when it did, the remains could have been trapped on the ocean floor for weeks.

So, was AG making faces in response to AK or at the ASIC lawyer? The family are clearly focusing their blame onto ASIC. I guess that when you are in the anger stage of grief, it can be too painful to blame the loved one. I’m sure that the raid was distressing for Melissa, but that was because she’d been found out. Should ASIC and the police stop investigating criminals because their potential distress might cause them to suicide? No.

I honestly don’t know what to make of AK’s behaviour. I think he has some… limitations, I guess you could say. Perhaps he did not know how to explain his thoughts and motivations when Melissa disappeared so made up a series of non-sensical pieces of information that he thought would satisfy whichever police officer he was speaking to at the time. On the other hand though, some of it was just straight up lies, like deleting messages about smoking a joint with a friend. It might also be that AK thought Melissa had gone into hiding. And I do not believe he and Melissa did not discuss the ASIC raid after. I also think he’s quite unsophisticated in the way he thinks - it’s strikes me as interesting insight into his character (and Melissa’s too) when he wrote on the post it note that their love means more then possessions but left an early Christmas present of earrings with it - another “possession” - presumably because he hoped this gift would make Melissa happy. I don’t want the observation to come off as nasty - if you are a kind, decent human being that is more important than having good spelling and being smart. But honestly, a grilling at inquest is entirely appropriate given all the misinformation he provided.

I’m surprised the Grimleys are not unhappy with AK in addition to ASIC. Fairly or unfairly, if my daughter/sister’s husband took several days to inform both police and me that she was missing, I would have a hard time trusting that person again, even if I was certain he had not harmed her. Further, is not AK by his own admission the last person to see Melissa alive, not to mention her husband of nine years? Any such person would be expected to give lengthy evidence at inquest.
I can only say that we are expecting rational behaviour, when IMO there is no sign of that with this family.

When does the "anger stage" end? It has been almost two years. I see the family, apart from AK, are still in combative mode.

I can only say that we are expecting rational behaviour, when IMO there is no sign of that with this family.

When does the "anger stage" end? It has been almost two years. I see the family, apart from AK, are still in combative mode.

Agree. As I've said before Clan Grimley is in denial ... and it seems to be a perpetual state.

It appears that they cannot accept that MC would far rather jump to her death than face the opprobrium of a sensational trail and certain imprisonment.

(What continues to intrigue me is how she got to the cliffs without being recorded by CCTV.)

Where there is narcissistic personality disorder, common sense does not prevail. Normally the disorder is with the perpetrator, but in this instance it is with the victim. MC is the victim of the suicide committed. it will take an age, and some debriefing, for all the contributors to the MC world of fantasy to realise…. If it seems to good to be true………

I find the Grimley’s behaviour during this inquest, cringeworthy. Their treatment of ASIC’s officer is disgraceful.

It’s not going to bring Melissa back so I guess it is about money? Some sort of perceived justice? Trying to wrestle their way out of public shame? But any way you look at it Melissa Caddick left a big mess behind for a lot of people to clean up.

Edited to add: my biggest hope about the public airing of this case is for some strengthening of public protection around financial advisors. More than what has happened recently because obviously there are still weaknesses in the system which allows someone like Caddick to steal someone else’s license and lie about her professional qualifications, not to mention that certification in general seems less than rigorous. She took advantage of the weaknesses I guess. We are at the mercy of the unscrupulous, as always. Just would be one positive to come out of this case.

Last edited:
Edited to add: my biggest hope about the public airing of this case is for some strengthening of public protection around financial advisors. More than what has happened recently because obviously there are still weaknesses in the system which allows someone like Caddick to steal someone else’s license and lie about her professional qualifications, not to mention that certification in general seems less than rigorous. She took advantage of the weaknesses I guess. We are at the mercy of the unscrupulous, as always. Just would be one positive to come out of this case.

A couple of key issues for me:

First, I hold ASIC responsible for not diligently following through on the 2020 report to them that Caddick was using another person's licence. The woman whose licence Caddick was using maintains that she alerted ASIC to the fact (see link).

Second, no Ponzi scheme can exist without gullible/greedy people. Ponzi scheme operators all offer returns that are consistently above returns available elsewhere, irrespective of market fluctuations. That aspect alone ought to cause any intelligent investor to smell a very large rat.

Like a seasoned scammer, Caddick took advantage of misplaced trust and played psychological games, for sure, however, people who hand over their superannuation or life savings to so-called investment advisers, without doing any sort of due diligence on them, are looking for trouble IMO.

The ASIC issue can be -- and hopelfully has been - addressed by policy and procedure changes. As regards the second issue, the saying attributed PT Barnum that "There's a sucker born every minute" will probably continue to apply.

A couple of key issues for me:

First, I hold ASIC responsible for not diligently following through on the 2020 report to them that Caddick was using another person's licence. The woman whose licence Caddick was using maintains that she alerted ASIC to the fact (see link).

Second, no Ponzi scheme can exist without gullible/greedy people. Ponzi scheme operators all offer returns that are consistently above returns available elsewhere, irrespective of market fluctuations. That aspect alone ought to cause any intelligent investor to smell a very large rat.

Like a seasoned scammer, Caddick took advantage of misplaced trust and played psychological games, for sure, however, people who hand over their superannuation or life savings to so-called investment advisers, without doing any sort of due diligence on them, are looking for trouble IMO.

The ASIC issue can be -- and hopelfully has been - addressed by policy and procedure changes. As regards the second issue, the saying attributed PT Barnum that "There's a sucker born every minute" will probably continue to apply.

[
That’s the thing with affinity fraud though - Melissa primarily defrauded people who already trusted her and believed she cared for them within those relationships. Her family, long-time friends. If they had gone to a financial advisor they found online, or through a bank or financial institution to find an advisor, they may have been more skeptical and conducted more research. Melissa used these relationships to her advantage.

That’s the thing with affinity fraud though - Melissa primarily defrauded people who already trusted her and believed she cared for them within those relationships. Her family, long-time friends. If they had gone to a financial advisor they found online, or through a bank or financial institution to find an advisor, they may have been more skeptical and conducted more research. Melissa used these relationships to her advantage.

Sure, but she deliberately picked the uninformed ones. Apparently only Koletti's father (an accountant) was unconvinced. He said (in the Liar, Liar podcast series IIRC) that whenever he raised the subject of investments she spoke what he considered nonsense and changed the subject.

IMO, it's a great pity that he didn't 'pull back the curtain' and expose her, but I guess he didn't want to rock his son's marriage boat. I wonder if he now regrets that.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back