Found Deceased GA - Quinton Simon, 1, missing from home, discovered gone by mom, Savannah, 5 Oct 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before she left for the short-term job in Illinois, she had served her daughter and her daughter’s boyfriend with an eviction notice through the courts. She said they would fight all the time.

“It was just horrible. I was like, ‘Look. We have a house that we want to home to and live in peace, but we can’t do that with y’alls mess.’”

On Sept 16th, the Chatham County Sheriff’s Office mailed Leilani Simon and the boyfriend Daniel Youngkin an eviction notice, according the Chatham County court records. Howell said she believes her daughter received the notice last week.

“I was trying to get back home before she left. Like I said it was only supposed to be three weeks. I didn’t want her leaving the house with the kids because my husband was here and we have (the babysitter) down the road who takes care of them all the time.”

Howell said she’s had custody of Quinton and his oldest brother since Quinton was 5-months-old. Her daughter moved back within the past couple of months and recently gave birth to a baby girl.
Search continues for Chatham Co. toddler last seen Wednesday morning

TY @Allabouttrial this answers so many of our questions from the past several pages.

So, home is owned by Mr and Mrs Howell. Billie is the mother of Leilani and grandmother of Quinton and his siblings. Her husband is stepfather to Leilani. Leilani, her boyfriend, Daniel Youngkin, and Leilani's children moved into the Howell household a few months back and there has been nothing but drama ever since. Quinton has an older brother and an infant sister. Quinton's mother and boyfriend were recently served with eviction notice from the Howells. Billie Howell was in IL working and has travelled back to GA upon hearing the news that Quinton was missing. To me, this article makes it sound as if the Howells were paying for the sitter. I assume that she was concerned about the care the children were receiving or not during her absences travelling for her work. Also sounds a bit like she is feeling guilty for leaving the state but figured since her husband was going to be around he would keep an eye on the grands and the volatile home situation. Wonder what took Mr. Howell out of the house and how long he was gone? We know the sitter saw Quinton alive and well the day before he was reported missing.

I wonder what the relationship was like between the mum and daughter. It must have been a wierd dynamic if the gran has custody but they all live together. Also she couldnt ask them to leave? Did they refuse? I would guess so if she had to go through a court. Would imagine there was some tension since that happening.
JMO
From that same link: "Before she left for the short-term job in Illinois, she had served her daughter and her daughter’s boyfriend with an eviction notice through the courts."

@tlcya I believe I read the stepfather (grandfather to Quinton) was out of town as well- unclear if he was with his wife or not. I cannot imagine the guilt this grandmother is feeling. If it were me and my grandson, and this ends badly, you could just go ahead and bury me. Ugh. Praying that Q is found safe, in spite of what it appears may be the case.

From that same link: "Before she left for the short-term job in Illinois, she had served her daughter and her daughter’s boyfriend with an eviction notice through the courts."
Sorry I might have worded that wrong. That is what I was getting at. It's her house and her daughter I dont understand why she would have to go through courts to get them to leave. Which is why I was wondering if maybe they were simply asked to leave first and refused.

Sorry I might have worded that wrong. That is what I was getting at. It's her house and her daughter I dont understand why she would have to go through courts to get them to leave. Which is why I was wondering if maybe they were simply asked to leave first and refused.
Oh gotcha! I did misunderstand.

I'm thinking this must be the case. She likely tried going about it nicely and got the courts involved when that didn't pan out.

I'm thinking this must be the case. She likely tried going about it nicely and got the courts involved when that didn't pan out.
I don't imagine that would create a great atmosphere in the household if that is the case. Of course it might not be and every family is different. Just seems very strange to me.

Sheriff said that LE did search the house in effort to locate the child maybe hiding somewhere, but that further searches were held off untila warrant was obtained. I don't think it matters if homeowner is cooperative and saying 'Please feel free search everywhere, find my missing relative" if foul play occurred and a prosecution for that foul play is needed in future, it is better for building a solid case against whoever was responsible if they can show they had a warrant, with sufficient probable cause, to search and seize any evidence found.

Sheriff this morning said in addition to the search warrant for house that "other warrants are in process of being obtained" I am curious what those warrants are, betting they are for electronic devices of individuals present in the home during the key period the last credible sighting of a live Quinton and when he was reported missing.
emphasis mine.
Ok, that makes more sense, thanks !

Brett Buffington
@BrettWSAV
·
1h

NEW: Chatham County Police Investigators are now at at another property Quniton’s grandfather owns. He told me he cut the locks off sheds here so the police could look inside. They didn’t find anything.
@WSAV
So, yeah, they cannot expect a 20 month old to have put himself in a shed. So. More information coming soon I suspect

Legal tenancy is VERY easily established, and legally you can't just kick a tenant out, you have to give 30-60 day notice to vacate and then evict if they don't comply. It would VERY likely be illegal for her to kick her daughter out and change the locks, even if the daughter did not have children.

Edit: Georgia courts have inferred tenancy after as little as two weeks of residency.

<modsnip: quoted post removed>

Howell said she’s had custody of Quinton and his oldest brother since Quinton was 5-months-old. Her daughter moved back within the past couple of months and recently gave birth to a baby girl.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brett Buffington
@BrettWSAV
·
1h

NEW: Chatham County Police Investigators are now at at another property Quniton’s grandfather owns. He told me he cut the locks off sheds here so the police could look inside. They didn’t find anything.
@WSAV
Another strange update in my opinion. It seems like a lot of people living in one house if there is another property available.

Brett Buffington
@BrettWSAV
·
1h

@WSAV

The earlier article referencing the searching in garbage cans makes it seem like it's a recovery mode, not a rescue ?
:(

WSAV was on the scene when federal agents along with investigators from the Chatham County Police Department went through the garbage at that home and saw the flashing from the photographs being taken inside.

I am looking to see if SAR dogs have been used ?

The earlier article referencing the searching in garbage cans makes it seem like it's a recovery mode, not a rescue ?
:(

WSAV was on the scene when federal agents along with investigators from the Chatham County Police Department went through the garbage at that home and saw the flashing from the photographs being taken inside.

I am looking to see if SAR dogs have been used ?
I believe in one of the videos I saw the back of a T-shirt that had “K-9” on it entering the front door.
I just don’t remember which video

Where were all these people sleeping in that house? Grandparents, plus daughter and her boyfriend, three young children and a brother. 5 adults and 3 children in a 3 bedroom house.

GM served an eviction notice then left to work out of state for 3 weeks. GM had custody of Quinton and his brother.

So was the babysitter hired to be 24/7?
What if Leilani had decided to just pack and leave while her mother was out of state? Who would have been there to take care of the children?
Why would both grandparents be working out of state if they had custody and fights were going on, home life was so bad they were evicting them?
Sheesh

Updating TIMELINE with new info in RED

around Feb 2021
Q born (14)

around Jul 2021
Grandmother BH awarded custody of Q and Q's older brother (14)

sometime in 2022
Q's younger sister born (14)

Fri Sep 16
Sheriff's office mailed Mother LS and Mother's Boyfriend DY eviction notice from Grandmother BH (14)

around Mon Sep 26 - Sat Oct 1
believed that Mother LS and Mother's Boyfriend DY received eviction notice from Grandmother BH (14)

sometime in Sep 2022
Grandmother BH leaves for 3-week work assignment in IL; hopes to get back before evicted daughter LS and daughter's boyfriend DY move out (14)

Tue Oct 4

Babysitter DM watched Q & Z (9)

Wedn Oct 5
5:29AM - Babysitter DM received text that she would not be babysitting Q & Z that morning (9)

6:00AM - LAST REPORTED SIGHTING (1) by mother's boyfriend (14); According to grandfather TH (who owns the house but was out of town; wife is still driving in from out of state), people at home at the time: mother, mother's boyfriend, 3 kids, mother's brother (7)

9:00AM [or 9:30AM? (14)] - Reported missing by mother (1) who said he was in his playpen (5); Babysitter DM receives text asking if she's seen them, but when she tried to help search, she was turned away (9)

9:42AM - LE dispatched to residence (1), searched home (4)

12:34PM - LE state they are searching area on foot with a drone and K9 unit (1)

2:04PM - LE state they are shutting down Chatham Parkway, Louis B Mills, and Buckhalter Rd to continue search (1)

2:48PM - LE state that Buckhalter Rd was reopened (1)

3:33PM - LE state that Chief met with media - nothing to indicate abduction; "does not appear to be a custody dispute, and all parties are cooperating"; have responded to two calls for service at the home in the last two years (neither for missing child) (2)

5:58PM - @BrettWSAV states FBI assisting (6)

6:52PM - LE state ground search continues; plan to search with helicopter and heat-seeking tech (2)

[TIME?] - Dive team also on scene (7)

10:08PM - LE state 75 LE officers and volunteers combed area (2)

[TIME?] - LE secured search warrant for residence (10)

PM - FBI Evidence Response Team & Chatham County Police search home with flashlights & cameras (8)

PM - LE cruiser remained on scene at residence overnight (14)

[TIME?] - Grandmother BH learned about Q's disappearance from phone call from Babysitter DM (14)

PM - Grandmother BH arrived home but with crime scene tape up, had to stay in a motel (14)

[TIME?] - LE contacted bio father and "did not believe he was involved" (4) due to the fact he "works very much, very north of here" (10), despite Q's mom telling Q's grandfather that Q's father came and picked him up (7)

[TIME?] - neighbors state they'd seen Q out wandering the home and street in the past (7)

Thur Oct 6
5:53AM - LE states no overnight developments (3)

10:11AM - FBI on scene with ATVs (11), searching trash cans in neighborhood including babysitter's (12) and locked sheds on grandfather's other property (15)

11:11AM - LE is "obtaining other search warrants at other locations today" (13)

AM - Grandmother BH, who was working out of town in IL, states in phone interview with media "I couldn’t imagine that she would hurt one of her kids but I can’t say the thought hasn’t gone through my mind a hundred thousand times" (14)

SOURCES

(1) ChathamCountyPD FB post (Oct 5)
(2) ChathamCountyPD FB post (Oct 5)
(3) ChathamCountyPD FB post (Oct 5)
(4) Police searching for missing toddler in Georgia neighborhood (APNews - Oct 5)
(5) Search for toddler missing from coastal Georgia neighborhood continues (Fox5 - Oct 5)
(6) @BrettWSAV tweet (Oct 5)
(7) Chatham County police, neighbors search for missing 20-month-old child (WSAV - Oct 5)
(8) @BrettWSAV tweet (Oct 5)
(9) WSAV3 video (Oct 5)
(10) WSAV FB video (Oct 5)
(11) @BrettWSAV tweet (Oct 6)
(12) @BrettWSAV tweet (Oct 6)
(13) @BrettWSAV tweet (Oct 6)
(14) Search continues for Chatham Co. toddler last seen Wednesday morning (WTOC - Oct 6)
(15) @BrettWSAV tweet (Oct 6)

Last edited:
Legal tenancy is VERY easily established, and legally you can't just kick a tenant out, you have to give 30-60 day notice to vacate and then evict if they don't comply. It would VERY likely be illegal for her to kick her daughter out and change the locks, even if the daughter did not have children.

Edit: Georgia courts have inferred tenancy after as little as two weeks of residency.
That is fair enough Im not aware of the laws there Im im the UK. I just cant imagine living in a house where you are not wanted there it can't be nice for either side.

Neighbors told WSAV that they’ve seen Quinton out wandering around the home and the street in the past.

Updated with new video..
Eeek !
Understandable why grandma had custody ?
M00.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members