Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* #105

Status
Not open for further replies.
As per the article below Groome Is being replaced by Amanda Hunter. From the article :
“Amanda J. Hunter is the Custer County Court Judge, a position she has held since 2016. She is also a Legal Research Attorney in the 11th Judicial District and a District Court Magistrate in the 11th Judicial District, positions she has held since 2016. Previously, Ms. Hunter was a Deputy Public Defender in the 11th Judicial District (2011-2016). Ms. Hunter earned her B.A. from the University of Iowa in 2002 and her J.D. from the University of Nebraska in 2011.”
Governor Jared Polis Makes County and District Court Judicial Appointments | Colorado Governor Jared Polis
Since both Custer and Park Counties are part of the 11th Judicial District, seems to me they are still one Judge short, right? Shifting Hunter to the District bench leaves them shy one County Court Judge.

Has anyone watched the 20/20 episode titled “The Last Hunt”? You can watch it on Hulu. This case reminds me a lot of Suzanne. There was a millionaire dentist who murdered his wife, Bianca Rudolph, during a 2016 hunting safari in Zambia. There was no forensic evidence, no DNA, no recovered murder weapon, no body examined by American medical examiners and their two adult children believed their father to be totally innocent of the charges.

Jonny Grusing investigated her death for the FBI. It was a circumstantial case. It took 6 years from Bianca’s death for her husband to be found guilty of her murder. This case gives me hope that Grusing and the investigators won’t give up and eventually Barry will be made accountable for Suzanne’s murder.

I'd love to know what Grusing is working

Has anyone watched the 20/20 episode titled “The Last Hunt”? You can watch it on Hulu. This case reminds me a lot of Suzanne. There was a millionaire dentist who murdered his wife, Bianca Rudolph, during a 2016 hunting safari in Zambia. There was no forensic evidence, no DNA, no recovered murder weapon, no body examined by American medical examiners and their two adult children believed their father to be totally innocent of the charges.

Jonny Grusing investigated her death for the FBI. It was a circumstantial case. It took 6 years from Bianca’s death for her husband to be found guilty of her murder. This case gives me hope that Grusing and the investigators won’t give up and eventually Barry will be made accountable for Suzanne’s murder.

Last edited:
Gosh how I wish SM remains’ are located soon.

I’ve always felt that BM either buried SM in a deep (possibly pre-dug) hole somewhere in the mountains up in back of the PP home, or disposed of her in an undocumented abandoned mine he knew of from his hunting trips, and possibly used either an ATV or the older non-GPS Range Rover for transport. I remember some people theorized early on that BM possibly dismembered SM after killing her and though I never thought he dismembered her for many reasons such as not having enough time and dismemberment being messy and would leave a lot of evidence behind, I’ve been thinking more about this theory lately. Since BM was an avid and skilled hunter and likely had tools for cutting up animals at his disposal, wonder, does anyone still think it’s possible he could’ve dismembered SM where she was so tiny maybe with his vast experience of cutting/quartering animals he could’ve dismembered her quite expeditiously and disposed/buried her parts deep in coolers? But where would he have cut her up and cleaned up every scintilla of evidence something like that would leave behind? Dismembered down by the river and either buried dismemberment tools or disposed of them during his Broomfield trash/dumpster expeditions? The thought of dismemberment makes my stomach turn, it’s pretty rare and I really still don’t think BM dismembered Suzanne and buried or scattered her in parts in place(s) unknown. Dismemberment is whole other level and imo he really didn’t need to go to that extreme. It’s an outlier for sure and it’s only his hunting experience/cutting up animals that gives me slight pause but again, really don’t think it’s plausible BM dismembered SM.

The other outlier theory I’ve been rethinking is if BM possibly had an accomplice that he handed SM off to and that person transported/disposed of SM to some predetermined or pre-dug burial spot in polar opposite direction of PP home and route to Broomfield. I’ve always thought BM did this, all of it, alone and if anything maybe used some unwitting accomplice i.e., possibly borrowed someone else’s vehicle/helped himself to another vehicle he had access to to transport and dispose SM’s remains but idk maybe he did hand her off to a complicit accomplice and that person is either unknown, in his close circle (burner phones?) and staying quiet/hasn’t been exposed or come forward.

I know LE examined SD’s phone and caught her deleting text messages from BM. I wonder if her vehicle or any vehicles she had access to, or any other players’ vehicles (GD?, TN?, ?) were considered and/or checked out. Never heard that LE were looking at that angle but possibly that’s something they’re looking into now and keeping it quiet?

Just some of my ramblings and food for thought while we wait for some ‘new’ news.

Still hoping and praying for a miracle Suzanne’s remains will be located soon.

IMHOO

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JUSTICEFORSUZANNE

Last edited:
Gosh how I wish SM remains’ are located soon.

I’ve always felt that BM either buried SM in a deep (possibly pre-dug) hole somewhere in the mountains up in back of the PP home, or disposed of her in an undocumented abandoned mine he knew of from his hunting trips, and possibly used either an ATV or the older non-GPS Range Rover for transport. I remember some people theorized early on that BM possibly dismembered SM after killing her and though I never thought he dismembered her for many reasons such as not having enough time and dismemberment being messy and would leave a lot of evidence behind, I’ve been thinking more about this theory lately. Since BM was an avid and skilled hunter and likely had tools for cutting up animals at his disposal, wonder, does anyone still think it’s possible he could’ve dismembered SM where she was so tiny maybe with his vast experience of cutting/quartering animals he could’ve dismembered her quite expeditiously and disposed/buried her parts deep in coolers? But where would he have cut her up and cleaned up every scintilla of evidence something like that would leave behind? Dismembered down by the river and either buried dismemberment tools or disposed of them during his Broomfield trash/dumpster expeditions? The thought of dismemberment makes my stomach turn, it’s pretty rare and I really still don’t think BM dismembered Suzanne and buried or scattered her in parts in place(s) unknown. Dismemberment is whole other level and imo he really didn’t need to go to that extreme. It’s an outlier for sure and it’s only his hunting experience/cutting up animals that gives me slight pause but again, really don’t think it’s plausible BM dismembered SM.

The other outlier theory I’ve been rethinking is if BM possibly had an accomplice that he handed SM off to and that person transported/disposed of SM to some predetermined or pre-dug burial spot in polar opposite direction of PP home and route to Broomfield. I’ve always thought BM did this, all of it, alone and if anything maybe used some unwitting accomplice i.e., possibly borrowed someone else’s vehicle/helped himself to another vehicle he had access to to transport and dispose SM’s remains but idk maybe he did hand her off to a complicit accomplice and that person is either unknown, in his close circle (burner phones?) and staying quiet/hasn’t been exposed or come forward.

I know LE examined SD’s phone and caught her deleting text messages from BM. I wonder if her vehicle or any vehicles she had access to, or any other players’ vehicles (GD, TN) were considered and/or checked out. Never heard that LE were looking at that angle but possibly that’s something they’re looking into now and keeping it quiet?

Just some of my ramblings and food for thought while we wait for some ‘new’ news.

Still hoping and praying for a miracle Suzanne’s remains will be located soon.

IMHOO

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JUSTICEFORSUZANNE
I go back to this: Barry was offgrid between roughly 11pm and 3am. Either he was asleep (doubtful IMO) or he wasn't.

4 hours.

Unless he drove 2 hrs to somewhere and back, I think he wasn't all that far away, although even a half hr radius provides about a million clandestine burial locations.

He needed four hours. How fast could Barry field dress a deer? Barry tracked animals, including the mountain lion. Bet he knows exactly how long it takes (4 legged) predators to strip a carcass. Serve up dinner for mountain lion, top it with a top cut steak, cover your tracks with corn and let wildlife do the rest.

Too soon? If Suzanne had been found in the first couple of days, voila, mountain lion got her. After a week, nothing left... and also nothing found. Pivot to "whoever's got her".

Look at it this way.

He's a hunter, his whole life.

What would he have done, had he killed a bull elk? Or a doe...

So the questions remains: where's your wife, Barry? And where are your coolers?

There is no honor in getting away with murder.

JMO

I'd love to know what Grusing is working
The most recent linkedin for Jonny Grusing ( are we allowed to post that link ?) shows he is currently :
-Freelance Consultant for abc news (contract) “20/20: Nambia”
-Special Investigator for Chaffee County Sheriff's Office (Special Investigator for current homicide matter and other investigations as needed for CCSO)
-Director of Safety and Security Douglas County School District
-Consultant - Grusing Investigative Consulting

IMO he appears to be pretty busy. I don't for a second think that he has forgotten SM or put the pursuit of justice for her on the back burner.

All jmo

I go back to this: Barry was offgrid between roughly 11pm and 3am. Either he was asleep (doubtful IMO) or he wasn't.

4 hours.

Unless he drove 2 hrs to somewhere and back, I think he wasn't all that far away, although even a half hr radius provides about a million clandestine burial locations.

He needed four hours. How fast could Barry field dress a deer? Barry tracked animals, including the mountain lion. Bet he knows exactly how long it takes (4 legged) predators to strip a carcass. Serve up dinner for mountain lion, top it with a top cut steak, cover your tracks with corn and let wildlife do the rest.

Too soon? If Suzanne had been found in the first couple of days, voila, mountain lion got her. After a week, nothing left... and also nothing found. Pivot to "whoever's got her".

Look at it this way.

He's a hunter, his whole life.

What would he have done, had he killed a bull elk? Or a doe...

So the questions remains: where's your wife, Barry? And where are your coolers?

There is no honor in getting away with murder.

JMO

supra. BBM, always w/ every respect:

"Barry tracked animals, including the mountain lion. Bet he knows exactly how long it takes (4 legged) predators to strip a carcass. Serve up dinner for mountain lion, top it with a top cut steak, cover your tracks with corn and let wildlife do the rest."

I'm sorry, but, IM(novice)O, four-legged predators are not likely to be 'clutterophobe's' like BM - who btw,imo - was not likely to leave anything up to Darwin's "Origin of.." to disappear his bride's cadaver to his benefit....

Frankly, this would be too much finesse and too many fine points for a villain under the press of time to ad lib.
BM had to pursue certainty.
How might he do this?

While we wait…..

I don’t think BM dismembered SM. Too messy even for BM. Not enough time for clean-up. We’ve all seen his garage. Yikes! No way he could clean up a dismemberment at PP that quickly and still have time for disposing of the parts. I still think SM is close to home, but not on the PP property. Regardless of how close she may be, it doesn’t make finding her any easier in that terrain.

Most of us would agree, the prosecution has more than enough circumstantial evidence to take this to trial. I guess, once burned, twice shy. Timing is everything. Still, I remain confident that they will rearrest the “Duke of Haggard” at some point. I like the idea of him constantly looking over his shoulder not knowing when they’ll come for him, but then I think, maybe I’d like to see him get comfortable, REAL comfortable and then, BAM! BAM, BAM!!! (here’s looking at you @Warwick7 ;)) All MOO!

The fact that BM listened to true crime broadcasts is greatly concerning to me. I wish we knew which specific broadcasts he listened to. He must have learned a lot from those broadcasts. IMO, BM clearly had acquired great knowledge as how to hide a dead body, and actually maybe taken great pride in that.

I had great hope that Suzanne's remains would be found this summer. Sadly that hasn't happened. At this point the only way I see this case going forward is as a "no body" case. That said, i have not lost hope this case may be successfully prosecuted in the future.

There are quite a number of "no body" cases that have been successfully prosecuted. IMO, the greatest problem in the initial case was the judge's denial of the prosecution's expert witnesses.

#Justice for Suzanne
JMO

Last edited:
supra. BBM, always w/ every respect:

"Barry tracked animals, including the mountain lion. Bet he knows exactly how long it takes (4 legged) predators to strip a carcass. Serve up dinner for mountain lion, top it with a top cut steak, cover your tracks with corn and let wildlife do the rest."

I'm sorry, but, IM(novice)O, four-legged predators are not likely to be 'clutterophobe's' like BM - who btw,imo - was not likely to leave anything up to Darwin's "Origin of.." to disappear his bride's cadaver to his benefit....

Frankly, this would be too much finesse and too many fine points for a villain under the press of time to ad lib.
BM had to pursue certainty.
How might he do this?
I remain stuck on the 4 hours. What was he doing for those 4 hours?

If he wasn't driving, he was doing something.

Rolling back the stone on a sealed mine?

Hiking a couple miles up a mountain?

Planting a tree?

Field dressing a doe?

It was time-consuming, whatever it was.

JMO

While we wait…..

I don’t think BM dismembered SM. Too messy even for BM. Not enough time for clean-up. We’ve all seen his garage. Yikes! No way he could clean up a dismemberment at PP that quickly and still have time for disposing of the parts. I still think SM is close to home, but not on the PP property. Regardless of how close she may be, it doesn’t make finding her any easier in that terrain.

Most of us would agree, the prosecution has more than enough circumstantial evidence to take this to trial. I guess, once burned, twice shy. Timing is everything. Still, I remain confident that they will rearrest the “Duke of Haggard” at some point. I like the idea of him constantly looking over his shoulder not knowing when they’ll come for him, but then I think, maybe I’d like to see him get comfortable, REAL comfortable and then, BAM! BAM, BAM!!! (here’s looking at you @Warwick7 ;)) All MOO!
And while we wait, a reminder that there is no statute of limitation for murder:

February 1982, Cathleen Krauseneck's then-husband came home from work and found his wife in their bed with an ax stuck in her forehead. Their toddler was alone all day with her dead mother. No DNA evidence, only an estimated time of death that included the time before James Krauseneck left for work to several hours after he left for work.

Members of the Brighton, NY PD, and the prosecutor's office, carried with them what happened to the 29-year-old mom and wife for decades, and in 2015, the FBI, Brighton PD, Monroe County Crime Lab, and forensic pathologist Dr. Michael Baden started reviewing newer studies on narrowing the time of death.

In Nov 2019, DA Doorley announced James Krauseneck was indicted by a grand jury for the murder of his wife, Cathleen. He was arrested in Washington State where he'd long since made the state his home.

On Sept 26, 2022, 40 years after he stuck an ax in Cathleen's head while she slept before he headed off to work, a jury found the now 70-year-old husband guilty of killing his wife. He'll be sentenced on November 7.

And the defense wants to appeal on the grounds that the prosecution wasn't justified in waiting 37 years to bring the indictment. Yeah, good luck with challenging that murder charges are time-barred!

In an email to PEOPLE, James' attorney Michael Wolford said, "We are confident that the conviction will be set aside by the appellate court on the grounds that the prosecution was not justified in waiting 37 years to bring this indictment.

"There was no new evidence, simply a new opinion by Dr. Baden."

Last edited:
While we wait…..

I haven't followed this thread since his ankle monitor came off.
However, you are very very right about getting comfortable. Then snap! Bam!

I remain stuck on the 4 hours. What was he doing for those 4 hours?

If he wasn't driving, he was doing something.

Rolling back the stone on a sealed mine?

Hiking a couple miles up a mountain?

Planting a tree?

Field dressing a doe?

It was time-consuming, whatever it was.

JMO

Also what was he doing for that 30 mins after he leaves home, and until he is caught by the traffic camera? There is quite a bit of missing time there

The fact that BM listened to true crime broadcasts is greatly concerning to me. I wish we knew which specific broadcasts he listened to. He must have learned a lot from those broadcasts. IMO, BM clearly had acquired great knowledge as how to hide a dead body, and actually maybe taken great pride in that.

I had great hope that Suzanne's remains would be found this summer. Sadly that hasn't happened. At this point the only way I see this case going forward is as a "no body" case. That said, i have not lost hope this case may be successfully prosecuted in the future.

There are quite a number of "no body" cases that have been successfully prosecuted. IMO, the greatest problem in the initial case was the judge's denial of the prosecution's expert witnesses.

#Justice for Suzanne
JMO
RBBM

Way back in these threads somewhere, we learned he'd listened to some Forensic Files episodes and IIRC, one of them involved the case of a woman who went missing on a bike ride. Possibly Jill Behrman?

Maybe someone remembers that more specifically than I do.

~ETA

Last edited:
RBBM

Way back in these threads somewhere, we learned he'd listened to some Forensic Files episodes and IIRC, one of them involved the case of a woman who went missing on a bike ride. Possibly Jill Behrman?

Maybe someone remembers that more specifically than I do.

~ETA

Strange. Why was this episode of all things recorded by the spy pen?

While we wait…..

He deserves BAM! BAM! BAM!!! IMO ;)

Jill Behrman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members