Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni missing from Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #10

Appears that is not available as the other cameras are working on multiple browsers. I wonder if the archive has been removed while LE continues the investigation

LE has likely seized the archive as evidence.
Or maybe they've had the archive but pulled it once it became public knowledge. Thanks for checking!

There’s a lot of surveillance by the power companies in CA due to the wildfires. They use air surveillance and cameras. When it gets windy, that’s when you see the helicopters monitoring. Tahoe’s always been susceptible to forest fires, but now the entire state is constantly on #firewatch.

Anyhow, I think it took a couple mins for her car to sink. <modsnip: Please don't bring rumors or hearsay to Websleuths>

Last edited by a moderator:
KR's father's reaction when AWP found her was not one of someone already seeing that fire cam footage. He was shocked she was right there and LE didn't find her.
rsbm
That is a really good point. As of 8/21 LE may not have known about the Alder Hill video archive. And that is despite Placer County Fire being on the investigative team starting 8/12, and OES being on the team as of 8/8.

I hope that is not true because if it is, what an incredible waste of searching time and unnecessary anguish for the family. So instead, I hope LE was aware of the video and dismissed it as immaterial upon closer analysis. Pollyanna perhaps?

I am keeping in mind what @Curiosa20 pointed out last night - that those operating these cameras have much higher resolution available to them. And the FBI, in particular, would have expert videographers to analyze that better footage.

I am not dismissing the possibility what we are all seeing in the lower resolution video is KR's car going into the lake. But like I always do, I analyze the context of all the variables to figure out if something is a good fit with any theory.

IOW, does it make sense LE did not know about this video early on? And if it was material, they did not inform the family?

ET: fix spelling of Curiosa20's name

Last edited:
The family does not agree with the theories that the teen was murdered. They believe she died due to an accident after she was last seen under the influence at the party in Truckee.

The family is looking to get the closure they deserve following the death of Kiely Rodni.

A representative for the family shared that the family has already shared so much of the ordeal with the public. They want to be able to keep some of the details surrounding her life and death privately.

They are choosing to not make any more comments regarding the teen.
[snip]
Kiely’s mother, Lindsey Rodni-Nieman, has expressed frustration over the internet banding together. They have been coming up with conspiracy theories for her death.
Kiely Rodni Update: Cause of death still a mystery as teen is cremated by family | Fingerlakes1.com

;)

rsbm
That is a really good point. As of 8/21 LE may not have known about the Alder Hill video archive. And that is despite Placer County Fire being on the investigative team starting 8/12, and OES being on the team as of 8/8.

I hope that is not true because if it is, what an incredible waste of searching time and unnecessary anguish for the family. So instead, I hope LE was aware of the video and dismissed it as immaterial upon closer analysis. Pollyanna perhaps?

I am keeping in mind what @Curiousa20 pointed out last night - that those operating these cameras have much higher resolution available to them. And the FBI, in particular, would have expert videographers to analyze that better footage.

I am not dismissing the possibility what we are all seeing in the lower resolution video is KR's car going into the lake. But like I always do, I analyze the context of all the variables to figure out if something is a good fit with any theory.

IOW, does it make sense LE did not know about this video early on? And if it was material, they did not inform the family?
I have the same questions, and wondered if they (whomever "they" may be) just felt it would yield no specific results because perhaps they've never viewed nighttime footage before and just wrongly assumed it wouldn't pick up anything detailed enough to view. They also could have felt early on that she was nowhere near the water, so why look at an archived video of the water, if anything was even legible, because the camera would not pick up movement from the party location which initially was said to be in the wooded area. Certain friends seemed to insist she knew the area well and would never have driven off in the wrong directions. Since then we've learned some cars were parked near the water. I also wonder if they dismissed the footage after they dove and searched the water in that area. I can't recall now how soon after she disappeared they explored the water but I think it was within a few days?

I just keep shaking my head wondering how crazy it is these days that detailed footage is available even in a rural location like that... looking at all the other fire cams in that area. Who knew? Nothing is private but amazing that that sort of technology is now available that can do a dual purpose - monitor potential fires and also help out police cases.

This isn't proof Kiely herself drove, herself into the water. If it is infact footage of a vehicle going into the water. Then who was in the other car with head lights pointing at the camera and it pulling off after the headlights disappear.

No one can say this is Kiely for a fact from footage too far away to see the driver. <modsnip>
Welcome to Websleuths, @Mahjarette81! We always enjoy having a fresh set of eyes and a fresh mind on any case.

Last edited by a moderator:
But it would be unreasonable to think that all of these coincidences should be ignored.

She is found in that spot, in that car, the video is at the right time, in the right place and shows exactly what it should, and her phone data shows her in that spot and her phone disconnecting at the same time the image shows something going into the water.

There is no data that needs a conspiracy or coverup to explain.

This is 100%, without any reasonable doubt, a drunk teenager having a tragic accident.
What would nighttime footage of the Chappaquiddick incident have looked like? Presumably like a car with headlights driving into water. Video footage would not have told the whole tale.

If we could see with certainty that her car was not one of the ones that stopped and seemed to confer at the fork in the road (I am not sure if it didn't go up a little ways and turn around), it would increase the probability in my mind of an accident. Having driven the road myself, I still find it implausible that even an impaired person wouldn't know they were moving toward the lake.

I still see the footage available here: ALERTCalifornia - Alder Hill

I've been trying to figure out where this camera is actually physically located. It does not seem to shoot the same angle 24/7 on spot checks I did.

There are fire cameras all over the region, and I believe all over California. This is why I said early on I didn't think they'd have a bonfire on the beach as it would attract too much attention. It baffles me how LE didn't find this footage the first few days. With a ping at 12:33 am in that location. I'm glad someone sleuthed this.

rsbm

I am keeping in mind what @Curiousa20 pointed out last night - that those operating these cameras have much higher resolution available to them. And the FBI, in particular, would have expert videographers to analyze that better footage.

Yes it makes sense they did not know about the video. Based on their performance in this case, it makes LOTS of sense.

Not impressed with LE in this case.

They spent a million bucks and tens of thousands of hours using federal state and local resources. Search-and-rescue squads. Airplanes helicopters drones boats divers.

They said things in press conferences that spawned conspiracy theories and caused a town to point fingers at each other. They questioned hundreds of innocent teens and families, causing untold family stress and strife. On and on. And after all that they had NOTHING.

It took clickbait YouTubers with Garmin fish finders to locate her.

In 30 minutes.

Right where her phone last pinged.

Within hundreds of feet of the party.

And then, of course, LE yanked her car out of the water without securing evidence, and left a trail of her stuff through the shallows of Prosser Lake. For other clickbait Youtubers to find.

And there was video of her driving into the water the whole time.

***massive eye roll***

The family does not agree with the theories that the teen was murdered. They believe she died due to an accident after she was last seen under the influence at the party in Truckee.

The family is looking to get the closure they deserve following the death of Kiely Rodni.

A representative for the family shared that the family has already shared so much of the ordeal with the public. They want to be able to keep some of the details surrounding her life and death privately.

They are choosing to not make any more comments regarding the teen.
[snip]
Kiely’s mother, Lindsey Rodni-Nieman, has expressed frustration over the internet banding together. They have been coming up with conspiracy theories for her death.
Kiely Rodni Update: Cause of death still a mystery as teen is cremated by family | Fingerlakes1.com

;)

To me 'accident' and 'murdered' aren't mutually exclusive. She could have been with some guy in her car where they both experiment with drugs and she accidentally overdoses then the guy tries to cover it up. Such a scenario could result in a murder charge while also being an accident where her death wasn't a malicious act.

I can't recall now how soon after she disappeared they explored the water but I think it was within a few days?
rsbm

Tuesday 8/9 was the first water search. Below is my 9/27 post summarizing LE's / their partners' water searches.

Since that post, I confirmed Prosser Lake was LE's initial target on 8/9, which LE announced at their 8/9 presser.

rsbm

I agree with your first point that LE may not have known about the video prior to Kiely's car being found. In fact, if they did know then the car would have been found much earlier and by them not AWP.

So the question is whether or not LE was aware of the video before the person (source) who found it a few days ago. I don't think we can know the answer because we can't say for sure that LE would have shared the information with Kiely's family - or the public. It seems like in some cases LE keeps the family informed and in others they share nothing, regardless of any guilt or innocence.

In any case the fact that LE appears to have pulled the camera archives today (good luck with that) says they take the footage seriously. IMO we are seeing Kiely's car in the video and not a fishing boat or other car. The timeline fits perfectly and there's no indication that whatever went into the water ever emerged from the water.

I'm 99.99% sure we watched an unfortunate accident unfold. The .01% remaining needs IMO to be compelling evidence, not just speculation but speculation based on facts. And if some new information is released by LE that points to foul play I'll be on it like a fly on honey, I promise. MOO.

I'm somewhat stunned how fast that vehicle disappeared once in the water.

Do we know if KR had been to the party area previously? Had she driven to and/or from there previously? At night?

Well that's weird. I still have access to the archive but it just started playing 2 seconds at a time instead of one.
Did you have the window open from earlier, and not tried to access it recently? Maybe they can close an archive for new views, but can't "take back" one in an open window. Just tossing stuff out as I'm curious why you can view, and others now can't.

Do we know if KR had been to the party area previously? Had she driven to and/or from there previously? At night?
From memory--would need to go back to find the linked sources as I had been away from this case for awhile/waiting for November-- Kiely's mom said something along the lines of Prosser being basically the community's safe backyard. It was a common place for parties and other activities, and definitely a place she was familiar with. I also believe her father and or grandfather may have given statements acknowledging her familiarity with Prosser and the roads/paths in the area.

Edited: found faster via internet search Kiely Rodni’s mother reveals she almost didn’t go to camp party on night she vanished
It’s also not unusual for her to hang out at the Prosser Campground, said Ms Rodni-Nieman.

The campsite has been a regular haunt for local teenagers going back decades and Kiely had been to parties there before Friday.

“It feels like a safe place. Like a neighbourhood backyard,” said Ms Rodni-Nieman.

“It’s a couple of miles out of town and is just this open space with reservoirs and camping and dirt roads. Lots of people go riding dirt bikes or hiking and it’s a community space.”

What was different that night was that the party was “very large” with teens from different schools all over the region descending there.

“There’s not generally so many people there. That’s what made it unusual,” said Kiely’s mother.

Did you have the window open from earlier, and not tried to access it recently? Maybe they can close an archive for new views, but can't "take back" one in an open window. Just tossing stuff out as I'm curious why you can view, and others now can't.
Yes, one wonders.
I know that several people have said they can’t access it.

Yes, Kiely’s mom & SS both said that Kiely had been there before, she knew the area well. I think it was said that she had been to parties there in the past but I don’t know if we have confirmation that she had driven there at night prior to this party. I would assume she had because this was a regular hang out spot but this is all MOO.

I still see the footage available here: ALERTCalifornia - Alder Hill

I've been trying to figure out where this camera is actually physically located. It does not seem to shoot the same angle 24/7 on spot checks I did.
SBMFF

Because according to Gray... "that camera rotates around every once in a while". That's a direct quote from Gray Hughes. Vid link captured at current time so you're not searching for it.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021
Back