NJ - Multiple Deaths in Mansion Fire, Monmouth County, Colts Neck, 20 Nov 2018 *Arrest*

Tired the link in my 12Ft Ladder - but not coming up either. 12Ft ladder can get behind paywalls, but it says they have been disabled from that site.

Oh well... Thanks for looking though! :)
I am able to access the link. :)

In summary, prosecutors plan to present evidence from Bode Technology, a private DNA lab based in Virginia, which used STRmix, a probabilistic genotyping computer program developed by a New Zealand company known as ESR, against Paul Caneiro. Bode’s analysis of the evidence concluded that eight of the DNA samples collected from the two crime scenes were mixtures to which Paul Caneiro contributed.

Defense attorneys, however, want access to the source codes of the computer program so that they can challenge the evidence.

As of the article date (original: July 29, 2022, updated: August 1, 2022), the parties were still hashing out under what conditions the defense expert will be allowed to examine the company’s trade secrets.

The article states that a Frye hearing on the reliability of probabilistic genotyping is the only thing standing in the way of setting a trial date. However, this could be a very drawn out process, as the results of the Frye hearing will likely be appealed. As of the date of the article, no date for the Frye hearing had been set.

In summary, prosecutors plan to present evidence from Bode Technology, a private DNA lab based in Virginia, which used STRmix, a probabilistic genotyping computer program developed by a New Zealand company known as ESR, against Paul Caneiro. Bode’s analysis of the evidence concluded that eight of the DNA samples collected from the two crime scenes were mixtures to which Paul Caneiro contributed.

Defense attorneys, however, want access to the source codes of the computer program so that they can challenge the evidence.

As of the article date (original: July 29, 2022, updated: August 1, 2022), the parties were still hashing out under what conditions the defense expert will be allowed to examine the company’s trade secrets.

The article states that a Frye hearing on the reliability of probabilistic genotyping is the only thing standing in the way of setting a trial date. However, this could be a very drawn out process, as the results of the Frye hearing will likely be appealed. As of the date of the article, no date for the Frye hearing had been set.

Thanks a bunch! :)

Wow. This is what happens when smart, rich people think they can literally get away with murder. I suppose if they lose this battle about the DNA they'll still argue in court "of course his DNA is at his brother's house, he visits there regularly" and probably about a hundred more arguments that can be raised when you can pay a dozen lawyers to work full time on it.

A search of the Asbury Park Press (app.com) produced the following for 2022:

Jan 24, 2022 - video at link -- defense attorney Patrice Bearden alleges the prosecutor is burdening her client with discovery by dump truck and requested the judge compel the state to organize the data and advise what evidence they intend to use.

Cutting-edge DNA technology links Paul Caneiro to Colts Neck murders, but is it reliable?
Kathleen Hopkins
https://www.app.com/story/news/loca...link-colts-neck-nj-family-murders/9382102002/

https://www.app.com/story/news/loca...link-colts-neck-nj-family-murders/9382102002/
Defense attorneys plan to challenge the new DNA technology that prosecutors say links PC to the murders of his brother and his family.

What's a battle over trade secrets doing in a startling Monmouth County murder case?
https://www.app.com/story/news/loca...murders-trade-secrets-trial-case/65383610007/

For months, discussions about the murder case against PJC have centered on the trade secrets of a New Zealand company.

@Countem - another month has gone by - and just wondering IF there might be an update yet?

TIA!
Moose And Christmas Balls Smiley

Tired the link in my 12Ft Ladder - but not coming up either. 12Ft ladder can get behind paywalls, but it says they have been disabled from that site.

Oh well... Thanks for looking though! :)

The only update I could find is behind a paywall for me:

“The state “would have to appeal’’ if the evidence is ruled inadmissible, even if the prosecution can proceed to trial without it, because of plans by the state police to begin using the STRmix technology, Decker said at the June 9 conference.”

IMO, I agree, this is going to take a while. The state is using this case to pave the way for the use of STRmix technology in future cases. If this ends in the states favor, I’m confident we’ll see justice and hopeful this will help future cases as well.

“The state “would have to appeal’’ if the evidence is ruled inadmissible, even if the prosecution can proceed to trial without it, because of plans by the state police to begin using the STRmix technology, Decker said at the June 9 conference.”

IMO, I agree, this is going to take a while. The state is using this case to pave the way for the use of STRmix technology in future cases. If this ends in the states favor, I’m confident we’ll see justice and hopeful this will help future cases as well.
If not for our wanting of the crime details, I guess we just have to be consoled that the defendant isn't going anywhere while we wait it out!

Just bumping up this case - just in case something might be happening?? Last hearing 7/6/22....

:)
Still, nothing in MSM but The Crime Wire has a recap dated 12/20/22.

The 911 call reporting hearing gunshots was believed made by Paul. Coincidentally, Keith was shot 5 times (caller reports hearing 5 shots).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021
Back