GUILTY IL - Megan Nichols, 15, found deceased, Fairfield, 3 July 2014 *ARREST in 2020*

Jury moves outside to see suspect’s car on day 7 of Ill. murder trial​

Oct. 11, 2022

EVANSVILLE, Ind. (WFIE) - It’s week two of a murder trial in Fairfield, Illinois for the man accused in the 2014 murder of 15-year old Megan Nichols.

Brodey Murbarger was arrested in 2020. Police say Nichols was initially considered a missing person until her remains were found in a rural area in Wayne County, Illinois in 2018.

Testimony began Tuesday with officers from the Illinois State Police as well as the FBI who conducted separate searches of the car Bodey Murbarger used at the time of Megan Nichols’ disappearance. Court then moved outside so jurors could have the chance to see the car themselves.

This was an on-record portion of the proceedings, meaning defense, prosecution, and jury were there along with the judge and court reporter. The agent who led the FBI’s search of the car showed jurors where they found a red stain in the trunk, underneath the trunk lining below the locking mechanism.

The stain tested positive in the field for blood. Once back in the courtroom, the jury also heard from the FBI agent who collected Megan Nichols’ remains once they were discovered, and saw the pictures from the scene.

The court also heard from an FBI DNA expert who confirmed the blood in Murbarger’s trunk came from Megan Nichols’.

The trial continues on Wednesday.

1665544905089.png
Murbarger's Dodge Avenger (2008 ~ 2014 model year)

1665545103464.png
Murbarger taking notes (left side)

Last edited:
FAIRFIELD, Ill. (WEHT) – As the murder trial for Brodey Murbarger continues into its second week, the jury heard from two unexpected witnesses, first Murbarger’s father Jayson, followed by Murbarger himself. In a room full of family and friends of Megan Nichols, the court along with jurors learned more about the relationship between Nichols and Murbarger.

FBI investigator William O’Sullivan took the stand Wednesday, detailing the results of his investigation of more than 7,000 text exchanges between Nichols and Murbarger from December 2013 to February 2014. No data was retrieved following early Februrary, but O’Sullivan testifies the messages were initially romantic and sexual in nature, and included several references to the couple planning a runaway in mid 2014.

Shared messages from February 2014 showed a more tumultuous relationship, with Murbarger at one point calling Nichols ‘annoying.’ After the state rested its case, the defense team called Jayson Murbarger, Brodey Murbarger’s father, to the stand. Murbarger was asked about his son’s vehicle, which was totaled in an accident in 2016, and is the same vehicle believed to have been used to transport Nichols’ body on July 3, 2014, the day of her disappearance, with Nichols’ blood found in the trunk of Brodey Murbarger’s car.

During testimony, Jayson Murbarger stated the trunk often leaked water, but did not know of any other fluids that may be in the trunk. The day ended with a surprising visit to the witness stand by Brodey Murbarger. Murbarger testified that Nichols’ blood was in his car after a sexual encounter, in which he used his shirt to clean the blood. Murbarger then stated he placed the shirt in the trunk, where leaking water caused the blood to spread, testifying that the blood would not have come from any other method. Murbarger stated he disposed of the shirt in a ditch.

Murbarger testified that Nichols’ blood was in his car after a sexual encounter, in which he used his shirt to clean the blood. Murbarger then stated he placed the shirt in the trunk, where leaking water caused the blood to spread, testifying that the blood would not have come from any other method.
Snipped.

That sounds plausible—NOT!

Snipped.

That sounds plausible—NOT!
I agree, it sounds really far fetched but what I'm worried about is that the prosecution hasn't seemed to point out a true motive and they've already rested. So if ALL they have is the blood with no timeframe of when it happened...it's easy to create reasonable doubt with any other story as to how it got there. I really want this family to get justice but from what I've read in the news I haven't seen a very strong case by the prosecution. I hope that I'm wrong and that a lot of the details are just not making their way out of the courtroom.

It took so long for this trial to start but it feels like the trial was almost too fast. I worry that this is going to be a not guilty verdict. It could just be the lack of details in the media though.

Praying for justice for Megan.

FAIRFIELD, Ill (WEHT) – Closing arguments in the murder trial of Brodey Murbarger wrapped up on Thursday, leaving his fate in the hands of a jury.

Murbarger is accused in the 2014 disappearance and killing of Megan Nichols. On Wednesday, an FBI investigator told the jury about text messages between Murbarger and Nichols which revealed the two were in a sexual relationship. The investigator also testified the two were planning to runaway together five months prior to Nichols’ disappearance.

Murbarger took the stand on Wednesday and testified that Nichols’ blood was in his car after a sexual encounter in which he used his shirt to clean the blood. Murbarger then said he placed the shirt in the trunk, where leaking water caused the blood to spread.

During closing arguments Thursday, the state of Illinois argued that Murbarger has changed his story several times through interviews with police, claiming all stories contradict one another. The state also says during police interviews, Murbarger told others he went to Nichols’ house around 9:30 pm July 3, 2014 because he thought she had run away. Through those statements, the state says Murbarger places himself with Nichols on the night and time she disappeared.

The defense team for Murbarger says the evidence in the case is speculation and circumstantial, citing there is no motive for Murbarger to commit murder, and no evidence that Nichols’ death was due to strangulation. In reference to the varying stories, the defense states Murbarger was an “awkward teen” under a lot of pressure due to rumors circulating of his involvement in Nichols’ disappearance and would have been flustered during interrogations.

Verdict Rendered Mid Afternoon Today

Wayne County jury has found former Fairfield resident Brodey I. Murbarger guilty of murdering 15-year-old Megan Nichols. The verdict was returned mid-afternoon today (Thursday) after barely an hour of deliberations.

Murbarger’s lawyer has given notice of his intention to file a motion for a new trial. He must do that within 30 days. A sentencing date won’t be set until the motion for a new trial has been settled.

Wayne Count Circuit Judge Michael Molt presided over the trial.

Nov. 14, 2022

Fairfield man wants new murder trial​

FAIRFIELD, Ill. (WFIE) - The Fairfield man found guilty in the 2014 murder of Megan Nichols wants a new trial. According to court records, his attorney filed a motion for a new trial. Brodey Murbarger was found guilty of murder last month following a week long trial in Fairfield, Illinois.

During that trial, FBI expert revealed a red stain in the back of Murbarger’s car was Megan’s blood. The defense argued that the pair were in a relationship, so her DNA being in his car shouldn’t be shocking. As we reported, Megan went missing in 2014. Her remains were not found until 2018. Murbarger was arrested in 2020.

We reached out to his defense attorney to find out what’s the next step and have not heard back.

Nov 16, 2022

FAIRFIELD, Ill. (WEHT) – A man recently convicted of murdering a Fairfield, Illinois teenager has asked for a new trial.

In October, it only took a jury one hour to find Brodey Murbarger guilty of murder in connection with the death of Megan Nichols, who was 15 when she vanished in 2014. Her remains were found six years later buried on a Wayne County farm.

Murbarger argues his conviction should be thrown out because the evidence did not match the verdict, there were jurors who were dismissed that should not have been and that the case should have been moved out of Wayne County.

A hearing on the matter is set for January 13. You can view the motion below.

HEADLINES FOR SATURDAY, JANUARY 14TH​

Brody I. Murbarger appeared in Wayne County Court on Friday. In front of packed courtroom, Defense Attorney Christian Baril moved for a Motion for a Judgment of Acquittal or a new trial; stating that his client was unable to receive a fair and impartial verdict in Wayne County. Among the several reasons for the motion, Baril cited local and national media coverage, social media, and rumor; claiming Murbarger was convicted of murder in the public eye prior to jury selection. Other reasons included witness testimony being hearsay evidence, causing a bias among the jury. The defense also argued that text messages read in court held no relevance to the case, serving only to further bias the jury. Appearing in court for the State of Illinois, Michael Falagario, along with Myra Yelle-Clark, argued that jury selection was properly handled by the judge, stating that out of over 50 potential jurors interviewed 14 impartial jurors were selected. It was also argued that the testimony heard in the trial, along with text messages between the defendant and victim, serve to motive. Witness testimony not only painted the picture of a long-standing relationship between Murbarger and Nichols, but laid out the relevant details of the relationship according to Illinois Rule of Evidence 803. The subject of Murbargers relationship goes to motive, the texts add context to that motive. The state also made it known that out of 7500 recovered text messages between the defendant and victim, less than 30 were used in court.

Ultimately, Judge Molt denied the defenses motion for acquittal or new trial stating that “This was a tragedy for the community and both families,” but that before making his initial ruling he had considered appropriate study of case law and found no reason for a change of venue. Murbarger was found guilty of first-degree murder in the in the 2014 disappearance and killing of 15-year-old Megan Nichols in October 2022 after only an hour of jury deliberation.

Sentencing for Murbarger has been set for January 25, 2023 in Wayne County Court.

Last edited:

JUDGE DENIES NEW TRIAL FOR MURBARGER, SETS SENTENCING FOR MURDER​

• January 17, 2023
CLAY COUNTY, Ill. — Sentencing for the former Fairfield man found guilty of the 2014 murder of Megan Nichols has been scheduled for the end of this month.

A Wayne County jury found 27-year-old Brodey Murbarger guilty in November of killing his high school girlfriend Megan Nichols.

Her cause of death was determined to be probable asphyxiation by homicidal violence.
Megan disappeared on July 3, 2014, from her Fairfield home. Her body was found more than three years later buried in a farm field in rural Boyleston.

Murbarger was 18, and Nichols was 15 at the time of her disappearance. Murbarger was arrested in 2020 and charged with first-degree murder in the case, along with concealing a homicidal death and home invasion involving a sexual offense.

Prior to the jury trial, prosecutors opted to not pursue the concealment of a homicide and to try the home invasion charges separately.

Murbarger was seeking a new trial in the case and had filed a motion for acquittal.

Judge Michael Molt on Friday denied that motion and scheduled a January 25 sentencing in the case.

Brodey Murbarger will learn his fate at his sentencing hearing on Jan. 25 at 2 p.m.

Attachments

• MURBARGER-BRODEY-I.jpg
    MURBARGER-BRODEY-I.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 0

Sentencing delayed for man convicted of murdering Fairfield teenager​

The man convicted of murdering Megan Nichols was scheduled to be sentenced on Wednesday, but the court appearance has been delayed until 2 p.m. on Friday.

Brodey Murbarger was found guilty last year in the death of Megan Nichols. The 15-year-old girl from Fairfield was missing for years until her body was discovered on a farm. Prosecutors say Murbarger strangled and suffocated Nichols in 2014 and then buried her in a shallow grave.

Murbarger argued his conviction should be thrown out because the evidence did not match the verdict, jurors were dismissed that should not have been and the case should have been moved out of Wayne County. His request for a new trial was denied.

JUSTICE FOR MEGAN: MURBARGER SENTENCED TO 50 YEARS IN IDOC.

20230127_161603-1024x576.jpg
20230127_161605-1024x576.jpg
20230127_161619-1024x576.jpg
20230127_161656-1024x576.jpg

The courtroom was packed on Friday, January 27 as Brody I Murbarger appeared in Wayne County Court for Sentencing in the murder trial of 15-year-old Megan Nichols.

The hearing began with the state, represented by Michael Falagario and Myra Yelle-Clark of the Illinois Attorney General’s office alongside State’s Attorney Kevin Kakac, making their argument for tough sentencing in the regards to the First-Degree Murder Charge. Teresa Miller with the Attorneys General’s Office read impact statements from Megan’s Stepfather Jerod Hutchcraft, and Janet Poole, Megan’s Grandmother; followed by an impact statement from a family friend. All statements described the profound loss felt by the family, and friends, over the heinous way Megan was killed and disposed of.

Defense Attorney Christian Baril, would also enter four out of the ten defense witness statements heard in court on behalf of Murbarger’s character; each describing Murbarger as highly intelligent and citing his academic accomplishments. Accomplishments that the state pointed out had been achieved after Megan’s disappearance.

Murbarger sat virtually emotionless, staring at the wall or floor for most of the proceedings; finally looking up and appearing to wipe his nose during the reading of the defense witness statements. In his final statement to the court, Murbarger maintained his innocence, but claimed to feel responsibility for many of his actions that led up to the disappearance of Nichols.

In his final ruling, Judge Molt cited Murbarger’s lack of juvenile or criminal record, however stating that a sentence must be passed down to discourage others in the future from committing such heinous acts. Judge Molt then passed a sentence of 50 years in the Illinois Department of Corrections, not entitled to sentencing credits, meaning Murbarger will serve 100% of his prison sentence.

The defense now has 30 days to file an Appeal.

MURBARGER SENTENCING

1/30/23

Brodey I. Murbarger was sentenced to 50 years in prison for the murder of his former girlfriend, 15-year-old Megan Nichols. Judge Michael Molt handed down the sentence at the conclusion of a two hour hearing before a packed Wayne County courtroom.

Murbarger did address Judge Molt, asking for leniency. He continued to proclaim his innocence, stating. “I am incapable of murder,” Murbarger told Judge Molt. “The police did not take Megan’s running away seriously, so neither did I. I do feel responsible and there is no valid excuse for how I behaved. All of this is my fault. You can call me what you want. I expect no forgiveness.”

In Judge Molt’s comments, he said, “There are no winners here. This is a terrible, tragic, unthinkable murder of a 15-year-old girl.” He added, “I was disturbed by the State’s Attorney’s evidence. The fact that the defendant admitted to having sex with a 15-year-old girl after packing to run away is very disturbing. This is truly a case of teenage drama gone to the extreme.”

Through tears, Megan’s mother, Kathy Hutchcraft addressed the court. “I have tried not to hate you,” Hutchcraft said. “There was no relief when you were arrested. There has been no funeral for Megan, no burial and no celebration of life. I do not wish you well. I hope I never see your face again.”

Judge Molt gave Murbarger credit for 843 days he has spent in the county jail awaiting trial. He will have to serve 100% of his 50 year sentence behind bars.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back