Still Missing WY - Irene Gakwa, 32, Kenya native, living with a man, he's uncooperative, Gillette, 24 Feb 2022 *Arrest*

NamUs MP 90106:

11 May Cowboy State Daily:

Google™ Supplements & Updates:

Last edited:
Her parents in Kenya must be worried sick. Glad to see that Irene has brothers and friends in the US to communicate with them. Recalling Jepsy Kallungi’s mom in Asia when she was so desperate for information about her daughter.

I hope for a better ending to this case, but we’ve not seen good endings for missing women lately.

jmo

Nathan J. Hightman’s pre-trial hearing, originally scheduled for Thursday, was moved to Nov. 3.

Hightman, 38, pleaded not guilty June 8 to two counts of theft, two counts of crimes against intellectual property and unlawful use of a credit card, all felonies.

Hightman remains out on a $10,000 bond.

On Sunday, Irene’s tight-knit family spoke with CNN in hopes of gleaning information about the young woman’s disappearance. They began by describing the last time they spoke with Irene — on Feb. 24 — during on a WhatsApp video call from Kenya, explaining that Irene appeared tired and run-down.

“She was supposed to come home for Christmas this year,” said her father, Francis Kambo, from Nairobi.

Irene was born and raised in Kenya and moved to America less than three years before she disappeared. Her relatives were used to regular texts, which often consisted of a slang mix of Swahili and Kenyan. They grew concerned when they began receiving “odd” texts in early March that were in English.

A police handout of missing woman Irene Gakwa

Irene Gakwa Photo: Gillette Police Department
One read, “Dad, I dropped my phone in the water and now the microphone doesn’t work.”

Another read, “I just want you to know I love you and miss you and mom.”

“The texts would be out of place,” said Kambo

UGH….

Detectives continue to investigate.

They are asking the public for any information about a gray or silver-colored Subaru Crosstrek with Idaho license plates "which may have been seen trespassing on private property or appearing out of place in rural areas of Campbell County between February 24, 2022 and March 20, 2022," the statement says.

The Gillette Police Department is also requesting information about a 55-gallon metal drum, which may have been burned and/or abandoned within the county, the statement says.

A community is desperate to find Irene Gakwa, a recent immigrant from Kenya who previously lived with her family in Idaho. The case has a number of twists like Gakwa's fiancé facing charges on accusations he took the missing woman's money, and the lead searcher getting hit with a stalking order. Anyone with information on the case is urged to call the Gillette Police Department at 307-682-5155.

Irene Gakwa, 32, thrived upon her move to America. The recent immigrant from Kenya lived with her family in Idaho before moving to Gillette, Wyoming.

While in Idaho, Gakwa split time living with her brothers, making friends and taking classes in hopes of becoming a nurse. Then, she met a man on Craigslist named Nathan Hightman.

“It seemed OK. At that time, everything seemed OK. I didn’t really know Nathan, but I said, ‘If you’re going to date my sister, I really need to know about you and it’s going to take a time or two to hang out,’” Gakwa’s brother Kennedy Wainaiana recalled.

Wainaiana learned that in the summer of 2021, Gakwa moved with Hightman to Wyoming. The couple was engaged.

But Wainaiana grew concerned when he noticed that Gakwa’s texts had changed.

“We’re from Kenya and sometimes we mix English and a language called Swahili,” Wainaiana said.

He added that, “We mix a word of English and a word of Swahili, so I can tell that’s her. But then, on March 5, I texted her and asked her something. She texted back, and it was only English. So now that I know what I know, maybe it wasn’t her.”

Police talked to Hightman the same day Gakwa was reported missing. He claimed he last saw Gakwa in late February, when she came home one night, packed her clothing in two plastic bags, and left in a dark-colored SUV, the affidavit said.

Hightman allegedly stole from Gakwa after she went missing. He reportedly withdrew money from her account after the disappearance in addition to deleting her email and changing her passwords. He was arrested on May 10, 2022, for “two felony counts of theft, one felony count of unlawful use of a credit card, and two felony counts of crimes against intellectual property,” according to PEOPLE.

On the day after that last WhatsApp call Gakwa had with her family, Hightman used her credit card to purchase a shovel, jeans, and boots.

Her family continues to speak out about their heartbreak and dedication to find justice for Gakwa.

"She's always been a daddy's girl," Francis Kambo, the missing woman’s father, told CNN. "She was supposed to come home for Christmas this year. I was going to buy that ticket myself for her to come if she couldn't afford it. Now I don't know if I'll ever see her again."

Hightman has not been charged in connection with Gakwa’s disappearance but is considered a person of interest. On June 8, 2022, Hightman pleaded not guilty to all charges against him and was released on a $10,000 bond. He is scheduled to appear in court in November 2022.

If you have any information about this case, please contact the Gillette Police Department at 307-682-5155.

The search for a missing woman in Wyoming partly revolves around a mysterious 55-gallon drum​

The search for a missing woman in Wyoming partly revolves around a mysterious 55-gallon drum​

SBM
“We believe that barrel is a key part of the investigation,” Koester said.

The drum ‘is an item of interest,’ police say​

Snip

But Gakwa’s oldest brother, K. W., said Gillette police told the family that a neighbor reported seeing what appeared to be a fire burning in a drum in Hightman’s backyard between late February and March. Police told them they searched Hightman’s property but didn’t find the drum...

# More at link

Koester and others are now combing the area for the drum, although their search is complicated by the fact that northeastern Wyoming is full of oil and natural gas fields, and by default, oil drums. Many of them are on private property that can't be accessed without the owners' permission.

Koester and others are now combing the area for the drum, although their search is complicated by the fact that northeastern Wyoming is full of oil and natural gas fields, and by default, oil drums. Many of them are on private property that can't be accessed without the owners' permission.
Tabitha Koester is a hero. She is going all out in her effort to find out what happened to Irene. I want to give her a hug.

So many of us (i.e. me) sit at home and say how sad we are or how upset we are about an injustice. But this woman is going out there and doing something.
Hats off to her.

Last edited:
Find Irene Gakwa fb group has photos up from today at the scene. (Not sure if I can post a link to group?) The FBI was there as well at 3 different scent dogs. Several evidence bags and what appeared to be framed pictures wrapped in brown paper and sealed with tape as well as some boxes were removed from the home. Snoopster you are absolutely right about Stacy Koester! She was there at the scene as well recording video. She deserves recognition for never stopping and for gathering a posse of like minded people to help!!

Find Irene Gakwa fb group has photos up from today at the scene. (Not sure if I can post a link to group?) The FBI was there as well at 3 different scent dogs. Several evidence bags and what appeared to be framed pictures wrapped in brown paper and sealed with tape as well as some boxes were removed from the home. Snoopster you are absolutely right about Stacy Koester! She was there at the scene as well recording video. She deserves recognition for never stopping and for gathering a posse of like minded people to help!!
3 different dogs is unusual isn't it? I understand that they might have 3 different specialties, but that seems like a lot for one search warrant on a house.

3 different dogs is unusual isn't it? I understand that they might have 3 different specialties, but that seems like a lot for one search warrant on a house.
It was said by those there that each dog would enter the home and around the home individually like they were rotating them. One person mentioned that they do that to see if the dogs hit on same areas. Lots of photos taken and some video. The dogs were of different breeds, a black dobie, a golden mix and a dog that looked similar to a cattle dog. They had the dobie in the rock garden near the garage and there seemed to be some interest in that area with a few agents as well. Posting a link to page for those that would like to see the photos.
Find Irene Gakwa | This is another photo dump from the photos taken yesterday on my "good camera"

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back