Found Deceased OK - Mark Chastain, Billy Chastain, Mike Sparks, Alex Stevens, Okmulgee, 9 Oct 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
My question at the press conference would have been "Do we know if the same gun or same caliber bullets were used to kill all 4 victims?"

Keeping in mind Prentice doesn't want to cause alarm in rural Okmulgee either way.
Also really bugged about the parts where Prentice talks about "we believe we've collected all of the "items" from the river. It's not that he may be talking about body parts, something about it bugged me. He said other items were found on consecutive days but they believe they have all the "items" collected.

Yeah, that bugs me too.

I feel the same. Its really creepy. I hope there's some type of explanation we can wrap our heads around. Maybe he was on drugs? IMO.
The more I think about it, the more I think it was a practicality. Four healthy sized men to lift and carry into a vehicle would have taken some doing. Plus, easier to put them in the water and then possibly he hoped they were more likely to disperse if smaller. Obviously the reality was it created a hell hole of evidence at the scene.

Morris is only a hop skip and jump away from Okmulgee, to the East and still in Okmulgee County. You could be in Morris in less than 5 mins from the Murphy's gas station one victims phone pinged from. Morris and Okmulgee police probably know each other very well.

UPDATE: POLICE HAVE NOW LOCATED THE PERSON OF INTEREST'S VEHICLE BEHIND A BUSINESS IN MORRIS, OK.
There's a salvage yard in Morris called Watkins .. looks similar to others. Lots of old cars strewn about

SHULTER, Oklahoma – Five people were arrested, including a juvenile, in business break-in and shooting that left one person wounded near Schulter in Okmulgee County.

Okmulgee County Sheriff's deputies responded to a report of a gunshot victim about 2 p.m. Saturday at A&A Auto Salvage in the 21000 block of South 236 Road.

The business owner told deputies he had interrupted six individuals who were in the process of burglarizing his business. One of the alleged burglars, 27-year-old Robert Skinner, was shot.

The other five fled the area but were later arrested. Tommy Frair, 20; Amanda Lee, 25; David Slack, 24; and Eric Skinner, 32 were booked into the Okmulgee County Jail.

Article from 2012 - I'm not sure how many salvage yards there are in Okmulgee, but this happened at one of them.
Just catching up in here

So-- on Saturday, 6 individuals were interrupted breaking into salvage yard, one shot, 5 arrested.

Then, THE VERY NEXT DAY, SUNDAY, these 4, Mark, Billy, Mike & Alex are suspected to have been there, or a phone dinged at that location ??
Then these 4 end up missing and then dead, with body parts floating in the river?

off to watch the presser now.

Just catching up in here

So-- on Saturday, 6 individuals were interrupted breaking into salvage yard, one shot, 5 arrested.

Then, THE VERY NEXT DAY, SUNDAY, these 4, Mark, Billy, Mike & Alex are suspected to have been there, or a phone dinged at that location ??
Then these 4 end up missing and then dead, with body parts floating in the river?

off to watch the presser now.
No, that article was from 2012.

UPDATE: POLICE HAVE NOW LOCATED THE PERSON OF INTEREST'S VEHICLE BEHIND A BUSINESS IN MORRIS, OK.
He’s going to be v close by I think. And probably not alive.

Press Conference.

17th Oct.

Chief - I have a statement related to the missing 4 men case that we've been working and that you've all been following. The human remains recovered from the Deep Fork River at the Sharp Road Bridge, have been positively identified as Mark Chastain, Billy Chastain, Mike Sparks and Alex Stevens. Although the official cause and manner of death is still pending, each victim suffered gunshot wounds. All four bodies were dismembered before being placed in the river and that is what caused difficulty in determining identity and that's why it took so long. I got the call about 10:00 o'clock last night. The river appears to be a dump site.

This investigation is now a murder investigation. Investigators worked all weekend recovering the bodies from the river and sifting through information obtained during the missing persons portion of the investigation. Based on information obtained during the course of the investigation, we believe the men planned to commit some type of criminal act when they left the residence on West 6th St. That belief is based on information supplied by a witness who reports they were invited to go with the men to quote unquote 'hit a lick big enough for all of them'. We do not know what they planned or where they planned to do it.

Task Force officers continue to investigate and will do so until all leads are exhausted. A very methodical search was conducted Saturday at the salvage yard on 20th St, as well as surrounding properties. Nothing remarkable was observed inside the salvage yard, but evidence of a violent event was discovered on an adjoining property. The owner of both salvage yards, Joe Kennedy, is considered a person of interest, but no charges have been filed. Investigators would like to speak with him, again. Mr. Kennedy was reported missing Saturday night and may be suicidal. He is last believed to be driving a Blue Chrysler PT Cruiser bearing Oklahoma Licence LSA 245.

During the missing person portion of the investigation we were very liberal with information releases in an attempt to find the men. Once the investigation changed to a murder investigation, we will be much more conservative with information to protect the integrity of the investigation. I want to recognise the agencies that have assisted so far with the body recovery in Saturday's search. The district attorney's Violent Crime Task Force, the OSBI, the Oklahoma Highway Patrol boat team, Lighthorse Police, the FBI, the Okmulgee Fire Department and Okmulgee County Emergency Management as well as City of Okmulgee Emergency Management. That is the conclusion of my statement. I will respond to questions if you have any.

Reporter - When you say they were going to get 'a lick' - Are we talking about drugs? Are we talking about copper or... ?

Chief - We have no idea, we have no idea. That is common terminology for engaging in some type of criminal behaviour, but we do not know what they were planning or where they planned to do it.

Reporter - Will we get a picture of Mr. Kennedy here pretty soon? Will you send that out?

Chief - Mr. Kennedy is a person of interest that we would like to talk to and currently not a suspect. I probably won't release his photo, unless and until he is named a suspect.

Reporter - When is the last time ya'll spoke to Mr. Kennedy?

Chief - Friday afternoon.

Reporter - What are you telling the families about... just kind of working this case and how you're trying to get them answers?

Chief - All of the information that I just provided you, I provided the family earlier this morning. I have assured them that nothing changes, except the focus of the investigation. We have worked around the clock all week, we were out all weekend and we will continue to work at the same pace that we've been working to try to find out exactly what happened to their loved ones and who did it.

Reporter - Have you found the bicycles yet?

Chief - We have not. We still are missing the bicycles. And unfortunately I have no description of the bicycles. At least one, and we believe all of the boys, had multiple bicycles and there's no way to know which ones they were on.

Reporter - Have you recovered the weapon? The gun used to shoot them?

Chief - We have not.

Reporter - Do you know what type of weapon... was it a handgun? rifle?

Chief - I'm not releasing that information.

Reporter - If I see Mr. Kennedy, am I in danger? Is the community in danger with him out there?

Chief - I don't have any evidence to indicate that Mr. Kennedy is a threat to anyone else. But I would use caution. If anyone sees Mr. Kennedy, please call the local authorities.

Reporter - Can you tell us what evidence was recovered at the second salvage yard or property nearby?

Chief - We're not releasing that yet.

Reporter - Have you ever, in your tenure, had something like this before?

Chief - I've worked over 80 murders in my career. I have worked murders involving multiple victims. I have worked dismemberments, but this case involves the highest number of victims and it's a very violent event. So I can't say that I've never worked anything like it, but it's right up there at the top.

Reporter - Is there reason to believe that the victims were placed in the river on Sunday evening?

Chief - I don't know that I can give you a firm answer. It would take a considerable amount of time to put the bodies in the condition that they were in and then dump them in the river. So my best estimate would be late Sunday night, early Monday morning.

Reporter - When you said on CNN over the weekend, the bodies appeared to have been in the water for awhile - Did the water do anything to the condition of these bodies to make your investigation harder? Is that what you said?

Chief - Water always affects decomposition, and depending on temperature, depending on the current flow, there's a lot of different factors that do that and I would defer to forensic pathologist to better explain that then I. Whenever water is involved, it makes it much more difficult to identify evidence. And we are methodical at every scene, but we have to be extra methodical when we're dealing with a body of water because it's so easy to miss evidence.

Reporter - When you last spoke with Mr. Kennedy, was he cooperative? What was his state of mind like?

Chief - He appeared to be cooperative. He was not antagonistic.

Reporter - Is that property where the event happened - Is that his property as well or just the salvage yard?

Chief - No, it is not his property. That property belongs to... the properties surrounding the salvage yard, and maybe for ease, I have since discovered that Mr. Kennedy referred to the South 75 location as the salvage yard in the 20th St. location as the scrap yard. Which may make it easier to keep track of what we're talking about. So the scrap yard belonged to Mr. Kennedy. The property surrounding the scrap yard belongs to three different businesses.

Reporter - That property you're talking about is the one where the violent event looks like....

Chief - That's correct. It was on one of the other pieces of property.

Reporter - Did these men have a relationship with Mr. Kennedy before? Were they employees? Are they relatives of any kind?

Chief - Not that I'm aware of. Mr Kennedy has denied knowing them and obviously I can't ask the victims, but I don't have any reason to believe that there was any pre-existing relationship.

Reporter - With them being cut up into pieces - Is there a chance somebody's going to find something down the Creek or something like that or do you believe you have recovered everything?

Chief - I believe, this morning, we recovered the last piece. We recovered the majority of the remains, Friday night. We made an additional recovery yesterday and we recovered, what I believe is, the last piece this morning.

Reporter - Were the bodies tied down to weight them down in the river or were they just kind of... ?

Chief - I didn't see any evidence that there was an attempt to weight them down.

Reporter - Now, with four men and one person of interest, do you think he may have, whoever did this, may have been alone or received help?

Chief - Whenever I conduct an investigation, I always develop theories, but I don't publicise those until I have evidence to support them. At this point I don't have any evidence of anyone else being involved.

Reporter - Have you spoken with the family members before you met with us and how are they doing?

Chief - I did speak with the family members. They were upset. I think that they had already resolved themselves that this was their loved ones. But the additional information about dismemberment was obviously a shock and they were very distraught.

Reporter - What's next?

Chief - A lot of work. We're still waiting on cellular telephone records. We have requested additional video surveillance from businesses in the area. We'd like to talk to Mr. Kennedy again. We continue to get tips of sightings, but as information comes in of people that potentially know things, we're going out and talking to them, so we still have a lot of leads to follow and we will continue to bring those in, prioritise them and send those out to investigators to be accomplished and then report back. And at some point, we have to pause and prep reports. We have been working so fast and this investigation has been rolling on so fast, we haven't had time to type any reports. We have a lot of typing to do.

Reporter - So let me ask you, with all the media in the room, how do you want us to proceed?

Chief - Anyone that has any information about the murder, or the disposal of the bodies after the murder, or Mr. Kennedy's location, is asked to contact Okmulgee police or their local authorities. We can be contacted at 918-756-3511.
Thank you folks.

The more I think about it, the more I think it was a practicality. Four healthy sized men to lift and carry into a vehicle would have taken some doing. Plus, easier to put them in the water and then possibly he hoped they were more likely to disperse if smaller. Obviously the reality was it created a hell hole of evidence at the scene.
It's not the first time a dismembered body was found here. A few years ago, a young woman's torso was found in the dumpster of that exact same Murphy's gas station. In that case, her babies father had dismembered her in LA, and was dispersing her body parts as he drove across the country. I'm honestly not even sure if they found them all. They were originally from CO and I can't remember their names right now but I do remember the baby was named Winter and it was a very sad and creepy case. But I believe in that case the perp was hoping little if none of her would be found. Idk, in this case, the POI knows that it's been dry here and water ways are very low. Bad time to dump bodies off bridges if you don't want them found. Idk, it's creepy.

Agreed. And Prentice states in the Presser that they believe the bodies were dumped in the river either Sunday Night or Monday Morning, so whoever(s) did this, worked rather quickly considering they were disassembling human bodies, and I would assume, trying to not draw attention when dumping them in the river. To me, that speaks more to someone that has experience with this kind of killing. JMO
I think they had experience beforehand also. Who knows how to disassemble humans? Do you google that?

I think it could have been justified (the shooting), but not the dismemberment. Who does that? It takes a special kind of person to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LornaJay