Found Deceased OK - Mark Chastain, Billy Chastain, Mike Sparks, Alex Stevens, Okmulgee, 9 Oct 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Three hours?!? That's an awfully long time to spend at a salvage yard, nevermind on a Sunday night after dark.
And then they went on to another one!
That makes me wonder about a few scenarios.

----maybe the 4 men had snuck inside the yard and were filling their trailers with loot and JK rolled up on them? He may have had cameras and saw they were breaking in? [but wouldn't he just call LE at that time, if so? ]

---maybe JK was inside his office at the yard and saw the men on camera, trying to gain access? And JK ambushed them? Their phones may have pinged there for 3 hours but they were already deceased?

JK lives at the scrap yard?
The house at 21625 SOUTH 236 ROAD OKMULGEE, OK 74447
is listed as his address and there is a house there. It's within/at the edge of his auto salvage/scrap yard. I also saw it listed on a real estate site from some time ago.
That is where the phone went to, there were aerial views on the news, previously posted, showing this property and from the street also.
ARRGH, can't get it to copy edit to add, I have posted the map showing the property upthread

Also
I bet he has cameras in the scrap yard area which he can view from his house.

Nobody heard gunshots?
I live out in a rural area, if I called the police every time I heard gun shots I wouldn't get a thing done. Especially right now. Deer season. Well bow right now but it seems this is when everyone is sighting their guns and such. And no one goes to a shooting range. Folks just use the "back 40".

I live out in a rural area, if I called the police every time I heard gun shots I wouldn't get a thing done. Especially right now. Deer season. Well bow right now but it seems this is when everyone is sighting their guns and such. And no one goes to a shooting range. Folks just use the "back 40".

I meant gunshots that were ignored or dismissed at the time but now seem signifiant knowing what happened. But apparently the area is too rural to have much of anybody nearby.

I think the consensus is: The shooting is easily explained if the men were somehow cornered or contained. It isn't explained if they were running around outdoors. The salvage yard does not appear to have a fence.

The only other thing that comes to mind is that the 4 men were not in the same area as each other when they were shot. If they were trying to find things at the salvage yard, they might have split up into two groups in order to be more efficient. Also, I can't imagine that the salvage yard had any lighting so even if there was not a fence, if they were deep in the yard then it would not be easy to escape or if they were in an area which was hard to navigate in daylight it might be near impossible with no light. JMHO

Especially since someone had broken in before (and he shot them). Not condoning what he did, but if he was alone, he probably felt pretty overwhelmed and threatened since there were four of them. We don't know if they were armed. One of those guys was 6'5" and 260 lbs. I don't agree with what he did...if he did it...but I live in KY and if you break in around this area, you'd better be prepared to suffer the consequences...especially if it's someone's livelihood.

My opinion/specualtion, He has cameras/sensors/listening devices at both his salvage yards and he was most likely at home at that time of night. I think he was alerted to the victims being in the Okmulgee yard and/or building and he went there to take care of business.

My opinion/specualtion, He has cameras/sensors/listening devices at both his salvage yards he was most likely at home at that time of night. I think he was alerted to the victims being in the Okmulgee yard and/or building and he went there to take care of business.
Exactly. This wasn't his first rodeo.

How many rounds does a standard gun hold? Unless he was some sharpshooter, I can’t imagine that one standard round of bullets would have been enough to kill 4 grown men. Did he have multiple weapons? An automatic weapon? An accomplice?
Depends on the gun. Standard for most semiautomatic rifles is 20 rounds. Handguns will depend on size and caliber. Most fullsize and compact 9mm hand guns are anywhere from 15-20 rounds. Most .45 pistols are 7-10 rounds.

I'm so sorry for this horrifying ending to the search and the anguish the families of these guys must be experiencing.

Some thoughts: These clueless petty criminals were planning what they thought would be a very valuable heist, using their bikes (with trailers) to be stealthy. The fifth person, who was invited along but didn't go, said he was told that they'd make enough money for everyone if he wanted to join in. The catalytic converters theory makes sense, but it could turn out to be drugs or even something else.

Let's speculate that at one of the junk yards, they inadvertently ran into very, very bad men who didn't appreciate being ripped off by clueless yahoos.

We don't know what aspect of crime these very bad men were involved in or how many there were, but there were at least one or two guys who didn't think twice about executing four men on the spot, maybe using silencers, and dismembering them to make it easier to get rid of the remains.

I say this because I can't imagine one 67-year-old man murdering and dismembering four guys, then loading and hauling the remains to a bridge, and then dumping the substantial remains in a river. It's a lot of work...and the cleanup!

As this point, I'd suspect Mexican drug cartel involvement, only because cartel members can be capable of almost incomprehensible levels of murder and violence.

OKMULGEE, Okla. (AP) — A man wanted for questioning about the deaths and dismemberment of four men in eastern Oklahoma has been arrested in Florida, police said Tuesday.

Joe Kennedy, 67, was arrested Monday in Daytona Beach Shores while driving a stolen vehicle, according to a statement by Okmulgee Police Chief Joe Prentice.

Prentice has described Kennedy as a “person of interest” in the deaths of Mark Chastain, 32, Billy Chastain, 30, Mike Sparks, 32, and Alex Stevens, 29.

So, he can be sleuthed, afaik.

I'm curious as to how this man was able to subdue and kill four men (allegedly) who were younger than he is ?

When the Rhodens were killed, there was a lot of talk of cartels and drug dealers. I tend to think that the man that fled to FL is going to be the suspect and actor here. He may traffic in stolen goods or other things. If a cartel/organized drug ring was involved, I don't think they would have been dismembered and found. Those types of groups don't want to draw attention to themselves. We have seen cases where more organized gangs or groups are involved with murders and they often seem very hard to get evidence (bodies, witnesses, etc) to charge. I would be surprised if this is not what it seems to be at this point.

You make an interesting point. Four bodies is a lot to murder and dismember. Not likely that one person did this. IMO
I'm way behind, but just wanted to pop in and say, that I have seen many many many cases where one person took down a group of people using various types of weapons. What is common is to have them all at gunpoint and have one tie the rest up. It is shocking and sad what people will do when a single gun is pointed at them. A group of people could rush the gunman, but rarely do. All IMO.

I'm so sorry for this horrifying ending to the search and the anguish the families of these guys must be experiencing.

Some thoughts: These clueless petty criminals were planning what they thought would be a very valuable heist, using their bikes (with trailers) to be stealthy. The fifth person, who was invited along but didn't go, said he was told that they'd make enough money for everyone if he wanted to join in. The catalytic converters theory makes sense, but it could turn out to be drugs or even something else.

Let's speculate that at one of the junk yards, they inadvertently ran into very, very bad men who didn't appreciate being ripped off by clueless yahoos.

We don't know what aspect of crime these very bad men were involved in or how many there were, but there were at least one or two guys who didn't think twice about executing four men on the spot, maybe using silencers, and dismembering them to make it easier to get rid of the remains.

I say this because I can't imagine one 67-year-old man murdering and dismembering four guys, then loading and hauling the remains to a bridge, and then dumping the substantial remains in a river. It's a lot of work...and the cleanup!

As this point, I'd suspect Mexican drug cartel involvement, only because cartel members can be capable of almost incomprehensible levels of murder and violence.
Chase Merritt was elderly, killed a family, moved the bodies, dug two graves and buried them.

OKMULGEE, Okla. (AP) — A man wanted for questioning about the deaths and dismemberment of four men in eastern Oklahoma has been arrested in Florida, police said Tuesday.

Joe Kennedy, 67, was arrested Monday in Daytona Beach Shores while driving a stolen vehicle, according to a statement by Okmulgee Police Chief Joe Prentice.

Prentice has described Kennedy as a “person of interest” in the deaths of Mark Chastain, 32, Billy Chastain, 30, Mike Sparks, 32, and Alex Stevens, 29.

So, he can be sleuthed, afaik.

I'm curious as to how this man was able to subdue and kill four men (allegedly) who were younger than he is ?
All it says is, he's a person of interest. He may not have subdued and killed anyone. But the police have no way of finding out who the real perps were, if he wasn't the sole actor, or involved in the killings at all. How do you track down Mexican cartel members? Those dudes would be long gone. They know how to cover their tracks. (Speaking speculatively). So Kennedy's the fall guy, and maybe he knew that, which could be why he ran to Florida.
How could they prove he did it, anyway? Maybe they just want to question him further (they already did once, before he disappeared). IMO they don't know anything for sure, unless they have some evidence they're not talking about.

I think it's still a mystery.

When the Rhodens were killed, there was a lot of talk of cartels and drug dealers. I tend to think that the man that fled to FL is going to be the suspect and actor here. He may traffic in stolen goods or other things. If a cartel/organized drug ring was involved, I don't think they would have been dismembered and found. Those types of groups don't want to draw attention to themselves. We have seen cases where more organized gangs or groups are involved with murders and they often seem very hard to get evidence (bodies, witnesses, etc) to charge. I would be surprised if this is not what it seems to be at this point.
I thought cartel groups were notorious for ghastly killings. Plenty of remains of their victims have been found. Sometimes they deliberately leave the remains where they can be found, IIRC. But that's usually in Mexico. In the US, they may take more care to hide their "work", since it's a foreign jurisdiction. I don't know. But in Mexico, there have been many cases, where bodies are simply dumped like casual trash. Ciudad Juarez unfortunately is, or was for awhile, notorious for that.

I thought cartel groups were notorious for ghastly killings. Plenty of remains of their victims have been found. Sometimes they deliberately leave the remains where they can be found, IIRC. But that's usually in Mexico. In the US, they may take more care to hide their "work", since it's a foreign jurisdiction. I don't know. But in Mexico, there have been many cases, where bodies are simply dumped like casual trash. Ciudad Juarez unfortunately is, or was for awhile, notorious for that.

In Mexico, most of the killings that I read about were turf wars where the cartel (not unlike some US gangs) want to send a message about control of the area. In this salvage yard, it was not a turf war. These men may have broken an honor code but US LE is not the same as LE in Mexico (blind eye, on the take or whatever). You could be right but it just doesn't seem like these dead men were in the cartel life or had found some cartel stash. But, I think we will find out soon.

I don't think cartels would go after these guys. They go after big fish. These guys were very small time and not very bright. Cartels would not do business with them. Cartels deal with larger amounts and more trustworthy sources. Sure there is downstream, but by the time it gets down to these guys it would be - small town guy to even smaller town guy
These guys would not be money makers for the cartels and they know it.
What would a cartel be doing at that scrap yard? And if they were there, how is the JK due related to them? Why did JK have their phones?
How many cartel killings in the US have there been of small town petty criminals in the US? Yet this huge, big cartel killing is of these kinda marginalized, probably very limited educated guys?
If these guys were dealers (by that I mean successful dealers that a cartel would want to deal with...why were they so poor)
Even if they did run into cartels, cartels could fool them and just be out of their way and vice versa.

I think the catalytic converter mafia is a more likely possibility.

Last edited:
Probably no need to be speculating about Mexican cartels, the obvious explanation seems most likely. The guy's already got a suspended 10 year sentence hanging over him from the last time he shot at burglars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82