MN MN - Joshua Guimond, 20, Collegeville, 9 Nov 2002 - #2

Oct 27 2022
''(FOX 9) - The popular Netflix series "Unsolved Mysteries" released an episode on the case of Josh Guimond, a Minnesota college student who disappeared from St. Johns University decades ago.

The episode was released on Tuesday, Oct. 25, roughly two weeks before the 20th anniversary of Guimond’s disappearance. The episode takes a deep dive into theories about what happened to him, along with interviews with close friends, family members and investigators working on the case. ''

''Another theory was since Guimond was chatting with men online, perhaps he went to meet up with someone the night he went missing. Investigators hinted it could explain why he didn't tell anyone at the party where he was going. Investigators explained they found his personal Yahoo account on the computer in his bedroom at college, which led to this theory.

"The examination of Joshua’s computer leads me to believe he might have had some secrets he didn’t want to share with people," Vic Weiss, a lieutenant with the Stearns County Sheriff’s Office, said in the Netflix episode.

Vic added someone had used an internet washing program within days after Guimond's disappearance. The episode explained his room was never closed off as a crime scene, and anyone in the apartment could have accessed the computer.''

Excuse me for two posts in a row, just so happy to see the case back in the media!
1666977514520.png
''Josh was one of three young, white, male college students who would mysteriously disappear from the region within an 11-day time frame. Over the next two weeks, Chris Jenkins and Michael Noll, both young male students at colleges in the region, also disappeared.
A private K-9 unit brought in by Chris Jenkins’ and Josh’s family tracked Josh’s scent to St. John’s Abbey, as well as the frozen lake behind the Abbey. The team drilled holes and used underwater cameras, but nothing was found.
These potential connections to the Abbey were intriguing because of the long, public history of predatory sexual abuse by some of the monks living on the expansive property. Friends and family recalled that Joshua had been outraged by the stories of abuse and cover-up, even to the point of researching a paper or news article about it. His parents were alarmed to learn that monks lived close to both the apartment where Josh was playing cards on the last night he was seen, as well as at the apartment building where he lived.
Detectives discovered that in the hours after Josh vanished, or sometime during the following days, someone erased items from his computer hard drive. Detectives now suspect the erasures could be connected to Josh’s disappearance and are eager to learn more about any connections between Josh and the people he encountered in online dating chat rooms.''
If anyone has information about the disappearance of Joshua Guimond, please call the Stearns County Sheriff’s Office at 320-259-3700 or go to unsolved.com.''

Click here to submit a tip. Unlock more clues at tudum.com/solvethemystery

With the 20th anniversary of Guimond’s disappearance approaching, the Stearns County Sheriff's Office has released new information in the unsolved case, including a series of photos found on Guimond’s computer.

Sheriff Steve Soyka said they're asking for the public's help in identifying the people in the photos in hopes that one of them may be able to provide clues to what happened to Josh.

If we still can't find the person who used the computer washer in joshuas room 7 days after his disappearance, how will this casee ever get solved?

How does his roommate Nick not know who did it, he was still actively living there.He's the one who won't take the polygraph. There is something to this.

Also you learn that LE had over 20 photos of men on his computer from a 2008 bca search and just release the photo set 14 years later?
According to the Simply Vanished podcast, his Uncle, who was staying in his room on campus during the days of the initial search apparently used the PC for his personal use and has admitted using the “Wash” application. He was pretty vague of what he removed; playing down the possibility that anything he deleted was material to Josh’s disappearance. He probably “ washed” a lot of what he would consider embarrassing including anything of a sexual nature.

''Episode 6 of the new season (the last episode of the three that dropped this week), delves deep into the unsolved case of Josh Guimond, who has been missing for nearly 20 years.''
''Another theory questions whether Guimond was abducted on campus. Simply Vanished podcast host Josh Newville and Guimond's father Brian, explored this theory in great detail, explaining at the time of Guimond's disappearance, there had been reports in the years and months of attacks, stalkings, and abduction attempts in and around the college.

Speaking to MPR, Josh Guimond's father, Brian Guimond said: "It's like I said from day 1. He was set up and grabbed. There's all kinds of human trafficking going on, sex slaves, all that crap. Nobody wants to talk about it. That's real. It's happening."

''An analysis of Guimond's messages revealed he was speaking to men online via various different chatrooms and dating platforms. Investigators have put forward the theory that Guimond went to visit one of these men and they, may have something to do with his disappearance.

A look at Guimond's computer also found that music had been playing on his computer between 11:52 p.m. and 12:32 p.m. on the night he is believed to have disappeared. It also became evident some of the songs had been skipped.

Either, Guimond did return home after the party and left his dorm under unknown circumstances, or somebody else was at his computer.

On Saturday, October 22, detectives at Stearns County Sheriff's Office released images of 28 unidentified men they would like to speak to in connection with Guimond's disappearance.''

1667249414061.png

''Episode 6 of the new season (the last episode of the three that dropped this week), delves deep into the unsolved case of Josh Guimond, who has been missing for nearly 20 years.''
''Another theory questions whether Guimond was abducted on campus. Simply Vanished podcast host Josh Newville and Guimond's father Brian, explored this theory in great detail, explaining at the time of Guimond's disappearance, there had been reports in the years and months of attacks, stalkings, and abduction attempts in and around the college.

Speaking to MPR, Josh Guimond's father, Brian Guimond said: "It's like I said from day 1. He was set up and grabbed. There's all kinds of human trafficking going on, sex slaves, all that crap. Nobody wants to talk about it. That's real. It's happening."

''An analysis of Guimond's messages revealed he was speaking to men online via various different chatrooms and dating platforms. Investigators have put forward the theory that Guimond went to visit one of these men and they, may have something to do with his disappearance.

A look at Guimond's computer also found that music had been playing on his computer between 11:52 p.m. and 12:32 p.m. on the night he is believed to have disappeared. It also became evident some of the songs had been skipped.

Either, Guimond did return home after the party and left his dorm under unknown circumstances, or somebody else was at his computer.

On Saturday, October 22, detectives at Stearns County Sheriff's Office released images of 28 unidentified men they would like to speak to in connection with Guimond's disappearance.''

View attachment 377041
Now that I am really looking at these photos they actually all look like photos you’d find on a dating website. I wonder if the police or his dad was able to get into the dating profile he used and found conversations with these men? On a lot of the older dating profiles (plenty of fish, zoosk, etc) it was really easy to be a bit more anonymous on your profile, making it difficult for anyone to trace the profile back to the exact person just from a conversation. VS nowadays where websites are making people verify their profile and such. MOO of course

The only Dating Website photos that really mattered would be local ones that there was a reasonable chance they actually had a meet up. I have no idea how much activity there would have been on a Gay Dating Website local to the St Cloud area. Maybe more than I would expect. A hookup that went bad is a real possibility.

I still suspect he went into a body of water. If he did, at this point his remains will probably never be found. The Netflix documentary suggested that the effort to search the lakes was discontinued because of freezing conditions but it was resumed the following April. It isn’t clear how the lakes were searched. They are not that big and I suspect pretty shallow but visibility is probably limited. Still, that’s a lot of water to cover. Big questions are “how far might a body drift?”, “are there any fauna that might consume a body?” “ what sort of decomposition would take place over winter?”. Normally a body surfaces when gases that form during decomposition cause it to become buoyant but extremely low temperatures and a layer of ice might change things.

Other theories that have been put out there are less likely, but anything is is possible. There were reports of men on the prowl for students alone at night to rob, sexually assault or otherwise harm. Josh could have fallen victim to one of these encounters but I believe if a murder were to occur, the body would have been dumped quickly. Those sort of stranger murders rarely involve any serious effort to conceal the body. Anything is possible but that scenario is less likely.

The suspicion that Monks or other faculty on campus had something to do with it is less likely still. In the scheme of things, a consensual sexual relationship with 20 year old would be a fairly minor transgression. Far more serious sexual crimes were covered up, I can’t see murdering someone to hide that sort of relationship. Again, anything is possible I suppose.

In light of the fact that Josh appeared to be confronting a sexual identity issue, suicide has to be considered. It is not unheard of for someone to commit suicide in a manner that their body will not be found. There is a lot forest in the area he could have walked to that night but I would expect with the organized searches and the recreational uses of that land, a body would have turned up. The land near the school is forested but surrounding that is open farmland.

Anytime someone disappears and no body turns up, foul play is going to be suspected.

Do we even know everyone who was at the party?

Heres who I know of:

1. Nate Slinkard
2. Alex Jude
3. Greg Worden
4. Amanda ??????

There should be five more people. As far as I can tell, no one at this party has been very vocal in Josh's case. Its been primarily Katie and Nick.
Did we ever get a full list? I believe Dusty and Eric were there. That’s 6 plus Josh is 7. I believe they’ve said 10-12 people were there. Can anyone complete the list?

Exactly and what are their reasons for failing to perform any of the above actions? One theory is that certain folks hope enough time passes that people will just give up. Well they didn't give up on Jacob, in spite of being misled and misinformed. So much hurt and pain in that case; same with Josh. I rarely see any attention paid to Josh's case anymore. Heartbreaking.
I believe Jacob Wetterling was only found and the perp jailed because citizen sleuths didn’t give up. There’s one Websleuth in particular and one blogger who forced it. And how they missed it — I couldn’t follow another case for four years after that. These parents need advocacy and I’m glad they’re getting some. Find Josh.
BTW, do we know who drove the orange sunbird or whatever that car was? Sounds like LE knows.

I finally watched the "Unsolved Mysteries" episode on Josh's case and would recommend it.

I really feel for his parents, ex-girlfriend, close friends, and LE who have worked hard on his case.

What struck me as most curious was him leaving the party right before he disappeared without saying good-bye, which was said to be very out of character for him.
Did he suddenly feel ill and go out for air?
Need to "get away" due to a mental health episode?Realize he was late meeting someone?
Or did he just intend to be gone for a short time before returning?

I think he most likely either ended up accidentally in a lake or he met up with the "wrong" person from the Internet.
Foul play by someone he knew well or from someone living on campus seem less likely to me.

View attachment 377041
Although it's very sad Josh is still not found I think it's weird to through out this pictures into the public, just like that. This men are now 20 years older to begin with, some of them are maybe not openly gay. What is the source of this pictures? Some of them look to be profile pictures (maybe even fake ones), other's look like cam/screen shots. And to add. The most frustrating thing of putting pictures out there in relation to a case, LE almost never gives a good update of who they identified, f.i. pictures found in the possession of serial killers and they will be circulating and popping up for years and years to come.

Last edited:
Although it's very sad Josh is still not found I think it's weird to through out this pictures into the public, just like that. This men are now 20 years older to begin with, some of them are maybe not openly gay. What is the source of this pictures? Some of them look to be profile pictures (maybe even fake ones), other's look like cam/screen shots. And to add. The most frustrating thing of putting pictures out there in relation to a case, LE almost never gives a good update of who they identified, f.i. pictures found in the possession of serial killers and they will be circulating and popping up for years and years to come.
Very good points, maybe LE wrestled with similar doubts before posting the pics, but 20 years after J's disappearance decided it might help more than it might harm.
Cannot help but wonder if any of those pictured men also went missing? speculation, imo.

@Bit of hope
I also think you make some very good points.

Years ago I did some online dating, and if those old photos of youthful me appeared in the public domain forever associated with a missing person's case, I'd be upset and embarrassed. And those were just photos of myself standing near a tree or something.

My first thought was why can't the F.B.I. find these men's identities using facial recognition software and social media, but then I realized that would probably be illegal.

Maybe this is legal, but I'd feel for any innocent person who recognizes himself, or is recognized by someone, in these photos.

If we still can't find the person who used the computer washer in joshuas room 7 days after his disappearance, how will this casee ever get solved?

How does his roommate Nick not know who did it, he was still actively living there.He's the one who won't take the polygraph. There is something to this.

Also you learn that LE had over 20 photos of men on his computer from a 2008 bca search and just release the photo set 14 years later?
Makes me think his roommate catfished him

Why would someone "wash" the computer instead of just making it disappear? Any opinions on that?

Perhaps over-cleverness; the entire thing being missing would be more suspicious than removing files?

Very good points, maybe LE wrestled with similar doubts before posting the pics, but 20 years after J's disappearance decided it might help more than it might harm.
Cannot help but wonder if any of those pictured men also went missing? speculation, imo.
It's "funny" that you say that, because I had the same question looking at the pictures. I really thought I even recognized some faces, but now I'm not sure I "know" them from this particular picture that I've seen before in different places or in a missing person's file.

It's "funny" that you say that, because I had the same question looking at the pictures. I really thought I even recognized some faces, but now I'm not sure I "know" them from this particular picture that I've seen before in different places or in a missing person's file.
Ditto, glad you mentioned it, because there was a couple of faces there that did look familiar to me as well...imo

I found an episode on A&E's. I Survived series that can probably compare to what happened to Josh. Guy thinks hes meeting a girl for a hookup but ends up being attacked by a guy in a hockey mask.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back